Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Tunicate posted:

And remember, you want to keep the compressions at the proper rate of 100-120 BPM, which can easily be maintained by humming Another One Bites The Dust.

Or "Stayin' Alive".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Tunicate posted:

And remember, you want to keep the compressions at the proper rate of 100-120 BPM, which can easily be maintained by humming Another One Bites The Dust.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Or "Stayin' Alive".

At our morning meeting with the O-6 a couple of weeks back there was this rather obnoxiously loud "BOOMP-BOOMP-BOOMP-BOOMP" going on from one of the rooms next door.

We all made jokes about someone having a dance party, turns out it was a BLS/CPR/whatever course and that was the beat from the video

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Or "Stayin' Alive".

FINE, HERE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmb1tqYqyII

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I think the thing that really annoys me is when people get knocked out and they start sticking their hands in their mouths trying to free the airway. I've seen it in football a bunch when the keeper goes and knocks a player out on accident and someone tries to clear an airway by shoving his grubby hand in the unconscious dudes mouth.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

But he'll swallow his tongue! :downs:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Redeye Flight posted:

Yo, crossposting from the Current Events thread, have some Marine idiots:

http://imgur.com/gallery/w4SJ2

Whats the most he can get charged with?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Reverand maynard posted:

Being a Marine. Punishable by flogging.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Reverand maynard posted:

Conduct befitting a lance corporal

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Reverand maynard posted:

Reenlistment

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Redeye Flight posted:

I like that I can tell that dudes white trash as gently caress just by looking at the picture.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FIDEL CASHFLOW posted:

update on thinking about going into the air guard:

smoking weed is cool

gently caress you if you're still in

smdftb

"We're pee testing the entire MX Squadron"

Redeye Flight posted:

Ahahaha, good job Marine. As if having a kill/rape streak on Okinawa can make the force look any better.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

"We're pee testing the entire MX Squadron base, twice!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

"We're pee testing the entire MX Squadron base, twice!"

Must be a nuke base

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Must be a nuke base
Nope. They just got really pissed off when a bunch of people popped hot in short succession with random testing. So they tested us all, then did it again a couple months later. Medical really doesn't have the staff to handle that many people, so two entire days went down the drain. That's a lot of pee.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

Nope. They just got really pissed off when a bunch of people popped hot in short succession with random testing. So they tested us all, then did it again a couple months later. Medical really doesn't have the staff to handle that many people, so two entire days went down the drain. That's a lot of pee.

To be fair, it was probably more alcohol than pee.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

My first day at AIT had the whole battalion piss tested. 800 or so people, 10 hats, one room.

It was my loving birthday too, and all I wanted to do was have a loving beer

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Soulex posted:

I think the thing that really annoys me is when people get knocked out and they start sticking their hands in their mouths trying to free the airway. I've seen it in football a bunch when the keeper goes and knocks a player out on accident and someone tries to clear an airway by shoving his grubby hand in the unconscious dudes mouth.

What kind of IDR crap are you pulling claiming you're US Army and talking about football having keepers.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Internet Wizard posted:

What kind of IDR crap are you pulling claiming you're US Army and talking about football having keepers.

There is one football and that is European football. NFL be damned. It doesn't involve feet.

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien
On Memorial Day my brother in law posted on FB a generic message followed by a specific shout out to me, his father in law, and some other dude.

That caused this super sperg major I once worked for to comment "OMG, Turdis is dead?! What happened?" I replied nope, still alive, and got on a plane. Meanwhile, my BIL and this retard got in a slap fight for dozens of comments, and the wife eventually saw it and sent cease and desist texts to her brother. I ignored it thinking about my blood pressure and assuming it would quickly blow over. It didn't, although the wife's nagging did get us both unfriended by her brother.

Recapping this last week with her parents led to the wife storming out of her own birthday dinner because they wouldn't sufficiently denounce her brother's confusion between Memorial and Veteran's Day.

Don't join the military, don't get married, don't be an idiot.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Booblord Zagats posted:

Conduct befitting a lance corporal

All jokes aside, I reckon that is the thing where Jack Nicholson admits to everything and Tom cruise is shocked and you still get a dishonorable.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Derek Dominoe posted:

Nope. Continuous compressions are preferred for bystanders. Interrupting chest compressions for what are usually ineffective breaths at room air FiO2 is really detrimental to brain and tissue perfusion. No more "look, listen, and feel" even.

If you're a trained professional with an ambubag and know what you're doing, then go for it. Even then, if you're by yourself and can't ventilate without interrupting compressions for <10 sec, it isn't worth it.

Rescue breathing is for respiratory arrest with a pulse.

(All this can be very different for kids...their most common cause of circulatory arrest is hypoxia, so respirations are more important.)

tl;dr: Chest compressions are BY FAR the most important part of CPR.

I just renewed Red Cross cert in May and they still start out with two breaths and then go into compressions.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

This is a peak mount. We like to use them because they're inexpensive, portable, quick to set up, don't require poking holes in the roof or major modifications to the building, and don't necessitate CE getting involved. Now some colonel is complaining because the sight of cinder blocks of the roof has offended their aesthetic sensibilities. They got very insistent that we should just bolt antennas to the roof like we have elsewhere on base. Except that A. Nowhere on base is there an antenna bolted to the roof, and B. That would require serious and expensive modifications to the buildings. So now we've got to explore options to shut up whoever this dickhead is.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Casimir Radon posted:

This is a peak mount. We like to use them because they're inexpensive, portable, quick to set up, don't require poking holes in the roof or major modifications to the building, and don't necessitate CE getting involved. Now some colonel is complaining because the sight of cinder blocks of the roof has offended their aesthetic sensibilities. They got very insistent that we should just bolt antennas to the roof like we have elsewhere on base. Except that A. Nowhere on base is there an antenna bolted to the roof, and B. That would require serious and expensive modifications to the buildings. So now we've got to explore options to shut up whoever this dickhead is.

Isn't there some instruction for roof building or whatever that came from an echelon above the colonel?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Soulex posted:

There is one football and that is European Australian Rules football. NFL be damned. It doesn't involve feet protective equipment or sobriety.

Casimir Radon posted:

I see eight options right there - you're already up on the roof.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Isn't there some instruction for roof building or whatever that came from an echelon above the colonel?
From what it sounds like this is completely outside their area of expertise and they're basing all of this on how they think it looks as opposed to any sort of regulation or common sense. Also our commander is a captain so that can make it kind of hard to win arguments outright no matter how stupid the colonel is being.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Ygolonac posted:

I see eight options right there - you're already up on the roof.

Yeah, but don't those options also require that Col standing just beside that roof?

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien
Who owns the building? Demand a memorandum for record that states they authorize holes to be drilled in their roof and accept all damages and charges that base facilities may someday recoup from the future hand receipt holder. That'll slow it down for at least a month. Your commander can always solicit a legal opinion from the SJA on whether he's authorized to damage or modify someone else's property.

Turdis McWordis fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 17, 2016

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Soulex posted:

There is one football and that is European football. NFL be damned. It doesn't involve feet.

I like that rugby players coming over from Australia often say that the 300lb linemen in the NFL are super fast. Because seeing those rugby fella's talk poo poo about pads then quickly coming to grips with the fact that a guy who weighs as much as a motorcycle that can do the 40 under 5.5 might infact make those pads a bit of a necessity

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

smemper fi

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Turdis McWordis posted:

Who owns the building? Demand a memorandum for record that states they authorize holes to be drilled in their roof and accept all damages and charges that base facilities may someday recoup from the future hand receipt holder. That'll slow it down for at least a month. Your commander can always solicit a legal opinion from the SJA on whether he's authorized to damage or modify someone else's property.
Whoever it is I think the most they can really do is bitch about it. The plan right now is to paint the cinder blocks the same color brown as the roof, and if that doesn't work refer them to the officers at CE who aren't going to side with them.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Booblord Zagats posted:

I like that rugby players coming over from Australia often say that the 300lb linemen in the NFL are super fast. Because seeing those rugby fella's talk poo poo about pads then quickly coming to grips with the fact that a guy who weighs as much as a motorcycle that can do the 40 under 5.5 might infact make those pads a bit of a necessity

Yeah they're fast for about 10 minutes. Put your average nfl lineman in the front line of a rugby squad and he'll be dead by the half from exhaustion.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
after watching tuf 10 and the abortion of the wes shivers/james mcsweeney fight, i lost a lot of respect for the athleticism of nfl players

dude on the right was an offensive tackle for the tennessee titans. dude on the left is british, so thats his excuse i guess

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

after watching tuf 10 and the abortion of the wes shivers/james mcsweeney fight, i lost a lot of respect for the athleticism of nfl players

dude on the right was an offensive tackle for the tennessee titans. dude on the left is british, so thats his excuse i guess

American football hasn't really got much in the way of anything except athleticism in short bursts. And beating up your girlfriend.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

This dude is going to swallow soooo much poo poo on his way to a dishonourable discharge. Unless I guess they send him to prison too.

He is the idiot.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Affi posted:

This dude is going to swallow soooo much poo poo on his way to a dishonourable discharge. Unless I guess they send him to prison too.

He is the idiot.

Question him until he says something slightly different and then charge him with making false official statements?

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Affi posted:

He is the idiot.

Maybe he meant obummer is gonna send marines to protect their civilian counterparts.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

MA-Horus posted:

Yeah they're fast for about 10 minutes. Put your average nfl lineman in the front line of a rugby squad and he'll be dead by the half from exhaustion.

That's not really the point. The point is that if you can run a 40-yard dash in 4.5 seconds while weighing 300 pounds, the amount of force generated by your tackle is enormous, over 1.5 tons of force for the biggest hits. Potentially enough to kill someone not wearing pads.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
There aren't many situations in which a 300 lb lineman is going to have 40 yards to reach top speed and then make that hit.

The momentum advantage in rugby usually goes to the ball carrier as tacklers have to wrap up and are more likely to be making open field tackles without support. Once I started playing men's rugby it became pretty common to see 240+ lb islanders running at me, including Samu Manoa. It's not that hard to make those hits.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's not taking him 40 yards to build up that speed. Maybe 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
yall enjoy arguing about which sport is more macho, ill be over here on the couch enjoying not having tbi and blown out knees