Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I am embracing the give no fucks style fully now. No shield and a big sword. That and fully embracing the bloodborne oh gently caress too many enemies pansy run into the unknown. I just ran through like 1/3 of the Irithyll dungeon blindly being chased by hideously large mob. Also the mob of basilisks was some tricky stuff, well played From.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Rough Lobster posted:

So I've been slaying bodies on low level duels and invasions with the glaive. Only thing is, I rarely use the weapon art. Can anyone recommend a better halberd?

It should be mentioned that I'm not a fan of the pokey move set the standard one has.

Lucerne is amazing, the wide arc horizontal swings in the r2 are excellent for catching rollspam and the weapon art is great to chain after a first hit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

unlawfulsoup posted:

I am embracing the give no fucks style fully now. No shield and a big sword. That and fully embracing the bloodborne oh gently caress too many enemies pansy run into the unknown. I just ran through like 1/3 of the Irithyll dungeon blindly being chased by hideously large mob. Also the mob of basilisks was some tricky stuff, well played From.

Running blindly into the unknown while being pursued by a mob is the only way to play

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

mortons stork posted:

Lucerne is amazing, the wide arc horizontal swings in the r2 are excellent for catching rollspam and the weapon art is great to chain after a first hit.

I do like the Lucerne. But it's functionally identical to the glaive. Only difference is the glaive has a bit higher base damage, and does slash rather than thrust. And since everyone in PvP is running around with super light armor since poise isn't a thing, it seems to deal a really good amount of damage.

I'm checking out the crescent axe because it looks neat and war cry opens up some cool heavy attacks. Base damage is really low compared to the others though; I'm betting it's got a really nice infusion to make up for it. Probably gonna move onto black knight's glaive or gundyrs once I get further along.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

QuarkJets posted:

Wolnir isn't the easiest boss, that's Deacons. Deacons isn't even really a boss, it's a love letter to large-swing weapons

I've died to Deacons more than I'm willing to admit because they kept interrupting my attacks with endless fireball spam. Also the main dude was always just barely out of my reach

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

SynthOrange posted:

Running blindly into the unknown while being pursued by a mob is the only way to play

Agreed.

Also beat Yhorm on first roll through, and it was dicey as gently caress because learning to use the special sword as you fight is a bitch. I still wouldn't call it an easy boss.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPig2BUtIh8

My friend has never played a Dark Souls game. :v:

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

super fart shooter posted:

Are you talking about boss fights or what? Cause it's hard to believe you hit most normal enemies enough times or in rapid enough succession for bleed to work. At least that's how I remember it in previous games

I switched from the uchigatana to the Onikiri and Ubidachi. The smaller fodder enemies die in a couple hits, but the larger mobs like the Lothric Knights and Angel Knights get wrecked pretty quickly once bleed goes off. An L1 with O&U hits twice, and usually two L1s followed by an R1 will proc bleed. Especially with Carthus Rouge.

They're also awesome for pvp. Once I ditched a shield and went to dual wield, I went from losing most pvp encounters to winning 1v2s.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

WaltherFeng posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPig2BUtIh8

My friend has never played a Dark Souls game. :v:

Dark Souls 3 confirmed casul :v:

Also if you can't enjoy DkS1 now you were never a real fan :colbert:

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

The Kingfish posted:

I accidentally used my blessed titanite on a Morningstar and I don't get the damage I want out of it. Is there another place to get the stone and is there a better weapon to bless?

If it's any consolation, that sounds like a nice weapon to have in skeleton land.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

-S- posted:

Is there a way to invade or be summoned as a mound maker that doesn't instantly result in the host and 2-3 phantoms gang raping you? The only time I can win my shackles is on the off chance it's just a host or with one phantom, but that is rare. If the host would understand that if he has phantoms I'm only going for them, maybe? I dunno, it seems pointless bc everyone in the world just attacks you on sight, even darkwraiths. It just seems like you ought to just pale tongue it all day instead.

I'm not sure where you are in the game, but invading with an orb in Crucifixion woods is a pretty fun way to do this. You either engage small groups directly, or with bigger groups you wait them out until another hostile phantom enters the game, and then team up against the host. Doing the same thing in AL w/ Aldritch Faithful works the same way. It tends to lead to giant, chaotic melees. Very entertaining, and with a decent return rate on shackles.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

aegof posted:

If it's any consolation, that sounds like a nice weapon to have in skeleton land.

I tried making a blessed mace for skeleton land, and was extremely disappointed by the damage output.

Edit: For a pure pyro build, the Dark Hand is a surprisingly good damage dealer that doesn't need to be upgraded.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Paracelsus posted:

I tried making a blessed mace for skeleton land, and was extremely disappointed by the damage output

I was just coming here to ask. I am doing a Faith build using the Lucerne. I went Raw at the start since I'm not leveling Str. I got to Cathedral and grabbed the Blessed gem from the rafters and used it to tide me over until I reach Irithyll and can get Lightning. Uh. Does Blessed suck as bad as I think it does? My Faith is like 32 and it's doing poo poo for damage.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I'm now wondering if I should restart. I've kind of lost momentum in Irithyll. In both previous games a restart and more focused (or at least differently focused) character made things go a lot better.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

HaB posted:

I was just coming here to ask. I am doing a Faith build using the Lucerne. I went Raw at the start since I'm not leveling Str. I got to Cathedral and grabbed the Blessed gem from the rafters and used it to tide me over until I reach Irithyll and can get Lightning. Uh. Does Blessed suck as bad as I think it does? My Faith is like 32 and it's doing poo poo for damage.

Yeah it does suck as much as you think it does for doing damage. It's one of the better off-hand options for the health regen.

Honestly one of the more baffling design decisions was making blessed weapon (the buff, not the infusion) the last buff you normally get when it would be really great at the start of the game before you have other faith buffs, as well as in the catacombs. Instead you get it last when it's outclassed by every other buff. It wouldn't even break the lore to have it in high wall because then it's still in lothric castle that's all about the blessed angels and stuff.

Paracelsus posted:

I tried making a blessed mace for skeleton land, and was extremely disappointed by the damage output.

I wonder if this is blessed actually making weapons worse, because I usually upgrade a morning star to +2 or +3 just for the catacombs unless I'm already using a strike weapon and it wrecks everything in there.

hampig fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 19, 2016

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Rough Lobster posted:

So I've been slaying bodies on low level duels and invasions with the glaive. Only thing is, I rarely use the weapon art. Can anyone recommend a better halberd?

It should be mentioned that I'm not a fan of the pokey move set the standard one has.

Everything in the class besides the Immolation Tinder is good. I, like Rough Lobster, love the Lucerne in particular, I just do really well with it. At higher levels i.e. 40str/40dex the Winged Halberd has great damage and the Black Knight Glaive has great combos. Try using the spin weapon art more, particularly after a few exchanges - don't lead off with it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Digirat posted:

Tried invading once with a password up just to see if you could invade specific people like with password coop.

well that answers that
Does anyone know if this works with blue summons? I was thinking that I could set something up on a new character where I ran WoB all the time and got people to trade off invading/bluecop so folks could get their ears.

That picture reminds me, I was cooping in the Archives the other day and got summoned in, host went to the boss shortcut elevator and I followed him. There were 4 other phantoms in there, all sporting UWR and the Xanthous hat. So of course I switched over. We did the boss gauntlet, but unfortunately I didn't see what happened as I got killed after one of the invader phantoms nicked me while attacking a mob enemy and then I got pancaked by the UGS red eye knight. Was pretty fun, lots of I'm Sorry when you accidentally hit another phantom while fighting.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

hampig posted:

I wonder if this is blessed actually making weapons worse, because I usually upgrade a morning star to +2 or +3 just for the catacombs unless I'm already using a strike weapon and it wrecks everything in there.
I think it was a +2 or +3 mace, and it was doing less damage to the skeletons than my non-strike weapons.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
that's because blessed and simple are like let's nerf your damage so you can get a tiny little trickle of mana that might get you enough for a spell casting in the time it takes you to catch up on the Star Citizen thread

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Araganzar posted:

that's because blessed and simple are like let's nerf your damage so you can get a tiny little trickle of mana that might get you enough for a spell casting in the time it takes you to catch up on the Star Citizen thread

simple used to be good before the weapon art nerf.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

-S- posted:

Is there a way to invade or be summoned as a mound maker that doesn't instantly result in the host and 2-3 phantoms gang raping you? The only time I can win my shackles is on the off chance it's just a host or with one phantom, but that is rare. If the host would understand that if he has phantoms I'm only going for them, maybe? I dunno, it seems pointless bc everyone in the world just attacks you on sight, even darkwraiths. It just seems like you ought to just pale tongue it all day instead.

The best way to deal with large amounts of phantoms and the host is to engage them while they are preoccupied in some way. This means taking them on when they are engaging enemies or summoning more phantoms. Or if the host gets too cocky and tries to engage you 1v1 without support. Basically your first goal is to run.... just run away from the phantoms until you can get to an area they haven't cleared yet. Set up an ambush. Wait until they come and kill as many phantoms as you can or the host.

Crazygamer
Dec 29, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

simple used to be good before the weapon art nerf.

RIP my witch's locks build. You were too fun for this world.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I can't seem to get summoned at SL 84 for blades of darkmoon or blue sentinels. What's the best way to farm proof of concord? I've been killing these anor londo knights and after 1 hour I only got one.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Disregard: It seems that Leo Ring only affects the physical damage of the weapon so it's not worth wearing that ring if it's infused with elemental damage.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 19, 2016

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Azuth0667 posted:

I can't seem to get summoned at SL 84 for blades of darkmoon or blue sentinels. What's the best way to farm proof of concord? I've been killing these anor londo knights and after 1 hour I only got one.

Let me put it this way.

I have my Item Discovery set at 3111.

I still don't get ears from them at a good clip.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Tallgeese posted:

Let me put it this way.

Oh for fucks sake :(.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Azuth0667 posted:

Oh for fucks sake :(.

I was about ask the same question for SL80. Sucks!

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Guillermus posted:

Before I spend the shards and my 8th slab, how good/bad would be a chaos Lucerne+Leo Ring for a melee pyro?

My seven +10 weapons on NG are:
Reinforced Dark Sword +10
Chaos Astora Greatsword +10
Chaos Thrall Axe +10
Dark Great Scythe +10
Chaos Warden Twinblades +10
Pyromance flame +10
RAW Dragonslayer Axe +10

So I'm looking for something with trust damage that has interesting moveset or at least different to the previous stuff (and of course, at least B/B scaling on INT/FTH).

Does Counter damage even work unless you deflect an attack? Wouldn't that make Lucerne really bad for counter damage because of its speed?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

BitterAvatar posted:

I was about ask the same question for SL80. Sucks!

Yeah I want both the ring and the miracle but, that doesn't look to be happening without some kind of save editing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

New Concept Hole posted:

Does Counter damage even work unless you deflect an attack? Wouldn't that make Lucerne really bad for counter damage because of its speed?

If the ring is anything like in DS1 and 2, counter damage counts even when you hit an enemy during an attack animation and Lucerne is all trust damage. At the other hand I could just make a +10 Estoc and tear poo poo but is kind of boring (so is the Dark Sword aswell).

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

It's basically when you'r trading hits. You counter if you hit them during their attack.

E; There's a video on utube somewhere where a guy tested the ring with 3 weapons he considered good for it: Pickaxe, Lance? and some other thing, i forgot

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 19, 2016

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Speaking of the Lucerne- it is now my new favorite PvP weapon. Straight sword spammers consistently misread the range on it, so if they try to trade it winds up me: 1 them: 0

:v:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Panty Saluter posted:

Dark Souls 3 confirmed casul :v:

Also if you can't enjoy DkS1 now you were never a real fan :colbert:

DkS1 is still enjoyable but its mechanics and graphics are a little dated by today's standards.

My ideal Souls game would have the DkS1 world, the DkS2 combat and multiplayer mechanics, and the DkS3 graphics and general movement fluidity. Plus I would want the Pursuer to just show up from time to time, both as a set of static encounters and as a rarely randomly spawning mini-boss.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

HaB posted:

Speaking of the Lucerne- it is now my new favorite PvP weapon. Straight sword spammers consistently misread the range on it, so if they try to trade it winds up me: 1 them: 0

:v:

It's suprisingly really good PVP weapon. Especially low level.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

Let me put it this way.

That's kind of ridiculous, compounded by the inexplicable decision to not have blue orb invasions.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Humans Among Us posted:

It's basically when you'r trading hits. You counter if you hit them during their attack.

E; There's a video on utube somewhere where a guy tested the ring with 3 weapons he considered good for it: Pickaxe, Lance? and some other thing, i forgot

Having tested it, I'd say if your timing's good enough to take advantage of counter damage, you're better off going for a parry. Getting counter damage is definitely not as generous as it was in DkS1 or 2. It's probably too far in the opposite direction instead.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Straight sword spam is definitely an issue, especially with the dark sword, but I really do find most people tend to spam a whole lot more regardless of the weapon being used. Katanas and straight swords definitely have normal attacks spammed quite often, but then certain weapon arts get used constantly. Some ugs users spam too, but I'm not so sure you can actually parry those strikes. DS2 seemed more of a mixed bag but I distinctly remember having more varied duels/invasions, whether I was running around with nothing but a crown and using the vanquisher seal or stalking around as an urn.

From the little forays into pvp I had in BB, it seemed like spamming was less of an issue there, but some weapons were definitely imbalanced. I could tell when my reiterpallasch was outclassed by some of the other weapons (though it's attack pattern more than made up for it.)

And I think I've basically given up on the ring achievement just because my blue phantom summons are laughably inconsistent, despite the fact that I'll often get swarmed by blue phantoms as an invader. The lack of sin and blue eye orbs, when taken with the dodgy auto-summoning, just makes it super tedious. Just ends up feeling like a waste of time there.

New Concept Hole posted:

Having tested it, I'd say if your timing's good enough to take advantage of counter damage, you're better off going for a parry. Getting counter damage is definitely not as generous as it was in DkS1 or 2. It's probably too far in the opposite direction instead.

Using rapiers for the bulk of my NG, counter damage seemed pretty noticeable. With or without the CMW applied, I would drop some serious damage on enemies/other players with well timed pokes. Maybe, though, I was just underestimating the damage Ricard's Rapier could do naturally.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

DeadlyHalibut posted:

It's suprisingly really good PVP weapon. Especially low level.

I went ahead and made a +10 Chaos Red Hilted Halberd and this poo poo hits like a truck with 35/35 INT/FTH. I chose it over the Lucerne since it has perseverance and hell, it netted me a double kill as Aldrich invader while doing the spin sweep. It's slightly longer than the lucerne and that's a plus in pvp too.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Fire Barrel posted:

Using rapiers for the bulk of my NG, counter damage seemed pretty noticeable. With or without the CMW applied, I would drop some serious damage on enemies/other players with well timed pokes. Maybe, though, I was just underestimating the damage Ricard's Rapier could do naturally.

The thrusting swords can get in pokes where other weapon classes would have to settle for a trade. Counter damage is seemingly tuned moreso to that style of play, as opposed to letting slower weapons exploit a miss for more damage. In other words, Rapiers have the right balance of fast to swing, fast to recover that makes them well-suited for hitting the counter frames, while everything else isn't as good at that. IMO this make it a crappier counter system than they've had before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I swear I had a lot more blue sentinel / darkmoon calls on my previous characters. On my sorcerer playthrough, I got summoned a grand total of two times. :smith: