Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tighten to "it's not going to fall off" Newton meters of torque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I stand corrected, and will use the torque wrench on it when I get home. Thanks for looking that up and explaining it to me!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I tighten my front wheel to nnngh torques and my rear wheel to nnnnnnNNGH. Never had any problems.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Another thing to double check would be if you're missing a spacer. I left one out once and destroyed a caliper bracket on my SV. Didn't crash so that was nice.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ola posted:

I tighten my front wheel to nnngh torques and my rear wheel to nnnnnnNNGH. Never had any problems.

You're lucky. My Hawk has a single-sided swingarm, with a nut as big around as an eggplant, and without the breaker bar the fastening torque is HHHHHHHHHhhhhhERNIA

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 16, 2016

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Coydog posted:

EX250 keeps sending the rear wheel out of alignment when I use the rear brake. I just did the chain and sprockets, put it all back together, adjusted everything, tightened the axle bolts and the bolt on that arm that the brake calliper sits on. Then, when I brake, the right side of the rear axle shifts back about 1/2 a notch, which of course also makes the chain too tight. Fixed it, tightened everything really well, and happened again right away.

I've never seen anything like this before, and am not sure where the problem lies. Research turns up nothing. Any ideas?

I had a similar problem with my 650, where I would adjust the chain to perfection, torque the axle nut down, chain is now super tight. No matter what I did or how I adjusted it, same result. Then I figured out that there was a rectangular spacer on the outside of the swingarm on both sides which I had installed rotated a quarter turn, so instead of jamming into place it slid freely. Once I found that and fixed it, everything is fine. So if it isn't just the torque spec, disassemble and look at everything critically to see if there's a piece that can easily be installed wrong while looking perfectly ok

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

You're lucky. My Hawk has a single-sided swingarm, with a nut as big around as an eggplant, and without the breaker bar the fastening torque is HHHHHHHHHhhhhhERNIA

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the swing arm is on the left? So, in order to tighten to hhhhhhhhhhPOP you're lifting up on the bar? Risking tipping the whole bike over onto its left side?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the swing arm is on the left? So, in order to tighten to hhhhhhhhhhPOP you're lifting up on the bar? Risking tipping the whole bike over onto its left side?

Correct. 125ft/lbs on that sucker. Unless you want to strap the thing down it's a 2 man job. It's gotta be done to change out those 30 year old cush rubbers.

It's also a 46mm nut. Not a common socket to have lying around.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Center stand supremacy.
Personally, I just hit the wrench with a rubber mallet until the torque breaks. Bus that's just mine.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Pope Mobile posted:

Center stand supremacy.
Personally, I just hit the wrench with a rubber mallet until the torque breaks. Bus that's just mine.

The Hawk has a center stand (well, one of my 2 does), but if it is up on the stand and is not supported by anything else when you torque that nut down you risk pushing it forward and dropping it off the stand. You can certainly do it with one person but to be safe it's best to just have someone sit on the bike and hold the front brake.

E: I mean when you DE-torque that nut you are pushing it forward. Tightening it you risk dumping the whole thing on its side.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:confused: As with most nuts, you can tighten it either by lifting up with the tool on the left, or pushing down with the tool on the right.

e: but yeah it's a big pain to work with. Luckily, you can adjust the chain tension and in fact totally remove the rear wheel without touching it.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 16, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
1290 has a 60mm rear axle nut. It's tight enough that when removing it you can destroy the retaining clip without realizing it, ask me how I know :(

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

:confused: As with most nuts, you can tighten it either by lifting up with the tool on the left, or pushing down with the tool on the right.

I was assuming there isn't enough room forward of it for that. Cans, foot pegs, cases, whatever.

Were you also making a joke about genitals?

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Fishvilla posted:

This sounds super similar to my issue. Do you mind expanding on 'seat the rings that hold the fork caps in place'? I'm a :shobon: novice and don't quite understand that. Does it just mean having the triple trees & fork caps tightened properly?

Yeah, no problem. If you have the same issue is going to depend on what your forks look like internally. I really only know my Ninja, but for that bike replacing the fork oil requires a partial disassembly of the forks. Specifically at the top: you take the handlebar section off, then you can see the top inside of the fork. See here:
http://faq.ninja250.org/images/4/44/Circlip_2.jpg

The bit that's poking up is the ring, that seats in the ridge that you can barely see just above the cap. I replaced those bastard rings with circlips, but didn't seat them all the way, which is where my hissing/whooshing was coming from. Getting in there again and having an assistant tap them in place with a screwdriver did the trick.

If none of this sounds familiar, I'm guessing your bike is different enough that this isn't your problem.

QUESTION FOR THE THREAD:
1985 Honda Sabre 700
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/5637616125.html
Anything I should know about these bikes? I'm wanting a bigger standard, not afraid of a little work, and have something else to ride in the meantime. Anyone have experience with these? They are a bit of a one-year unicorn, except kind of not.

edit: Interested in hearing if someone's had one of these, otherwise skipping this particular one. Value's just not there.

TheNothingNew fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 17, 2016

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I tried replacing the brake fluid and bleeding my DRZ today. I got a Speedbleeder on the rear caliper and that went great. But when I put it on the front caliper, I could not get it to work. How possible is it that the check valve in one of them could be bad from the factory? I tried to blast some brake cleaner through from the inside, but that didn't seem to do anything.

I gave up with that and put the regular bleed screw back in. I pumped 2 or 3 reservoir's worth of fluid through and still haven't gotten any feel back. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong there. Could the tubing not having a perfect seal get air back in the system? I don't release the lever until I shut the screw. Do I just need to keep going?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Deeters posted:

I gave up with that and put the regular bleed screw back in. I pumped 2 or 3 reservoir's worth of fluid through and still haven't gotten any feel back. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong there. Could the tubing not having a perfect seal get air back in the system? I don't release the lever until I shut the screw. Do I just need to keep going?

A bubble of air trapped somewhere. The rear is often easier because it's fairly flat. The lovely thing about bleeding brakes is that air wants to go up, you're trying to force it down. (That's why I prefer pushing fluid into the bleeder with a syringe) You can try tapping the line and the caliper or remove the caliper and hold it above the reservoir. Remember to put something suitable between the pads so you don't squeeze them all the way together.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I had that problem, until I forced some fluid into the caliper. A fully drained front caliper refused to bleed, even with speed bleeders. The second I filled some in there, it bled just fine.

Have you tried your other bleeder screw on the front? Maybe they sent you a mismatched one?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Ola posted:

A bubble of air trapped somewhere. The rear is often easier because it's fairly flat. The lovely thing about bleeding brakes is that air wants to go up, you're trying to force it down. (That's why I prefer pushing fluid into the bleeder with a syringe) You can try tapping the line and the caliper or remove the caliper and hold it above the reservoir. Remember to put something suitable between the pads so you don't squeeze them all the way together.

I'll see what I can find that I can force fluid from the caliper up. A syringe sounds like a good idea.

Coydog posted:

Have you tried your other bleeder screw on the front? Maybe they sent you a mismatched one?

I'm not totally sure what youre suggesting. Pull the one out of the rear caliper and try that on the front? I put the stock bleed screw back in, and I can pump fluid out just fine with that.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Deeters posted:

I'll see what I can find that I can force fluid from the caliper up. A syringe sounds like a good idea.

There's tons of cheap ones on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-One-M...5281616&vxp=mtr

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm keeping my eyes open for a nice dual sport and found a couple of 2008 KLRs not too far from me. One of which is lowered by 4"

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-motocross/calgary/lowered-price-2008-klr650-must-sell/1174912280?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Thinking of giving dude a call and throwing out a mid-2K offer. Question about them though as I don't have much dirt/enduro experience, I'm not sure if I want a lowered bike. I'm not the tallest guy, but I'm not short either (5'11" 32ish inseam) How hard would this be to bring back stock? Is there a standard way someone would lower a KLR?

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

I have a Shoei Airfoil that I bought new 4 years ago and wore for perhaps 100 hours, after which it sat on the shelf in my room. I've had it hammered into my head (haha) that helmets expire after 5 or so years because the impact foam dries out and deteriorates, but this quote from Snell seems to indicate that figure is mostly due to wear-and-tear:

quote:

The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.
My helmet has never been dropped and is in pristine condition. It's hard for me to accept that I have to bin it without knowing for sure, so I'd like to know what goons have to say on helmet longevity.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Grimes posted:

I have a Shoei Airfoil that I bought new 4 years ago and wore for perhaps 100 hours, after which it sat on the shelf in my room. I've had it hammered into my head (haha) that helmets expire after 5 or so years because the impact foam dries out and deteriorates, but this quote from Snell seems to indicate that figure is mostly due to wear-and-tear:

My helmet has never been dropped and is in pristine condition. It's hard for me to accept that I have to bin it without knowing for sure, so I'd like to know what goons have to say on helmet longevity.

Definitely keep it, it's fine for many more years. The helmet seller wants you to buy more helmets, but you don't have to.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

slidebite posted:

I'm keeping my eyes open for a nice dual sport and found a couple of 2008 KLRs not too far from me. One of which is lowered by 4"

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-dirt-bikes-motocross/calgary/lowered-price-2008-klr650-must-sell/1174912280?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Thinking of giving dude a call and throwing out a mid-2K offer. Question about them though as I don't have much dirt/enduro experience, I'm not sure if I want a lowered bike. I'm not the tallest guy, but I'm not short either (5'11" 32ish inseam) How hard would this be to bring back stock? Is there a standard way someone would lower a KLR?

You'll probably be able to touch both feet on a stock one with a 32 inch inseam.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks. I can on my C14 and it's not a small/short bike by any means either. How hard would it be to remove a lowering kit? Easy peasy?

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
It looks like the fork tubes are just slid up. 4" is a lot, a quick Google only gave me one link that'll do this, this adjustable one - https://www.amazon.com/Soupys-KLR650-Double-Style-Lowering/dp/B00INCJAQM

If that's all they've done, you could swap it back in like 30 minutes.

Did they trim down the kickstand?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Grimes posted:

It's your brain and face. You decide the amount of money you want to spend on them.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Depends on how it was stored. Did the room get balls hot, or have high humidity? Was it near a window?

I generally get a new helmet every year or two, if only because helmets keep getting better and better wrt ventilation.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

I generally get a new helmet every year or two, if only because helmets keep getting better and better wrt ventilation.

This is true - the Shoei GT Air is loving amazing airflow-wise and I thought my RF-1000 was the pinnacle of good helmet design. It's like night and day. Although I'm on the two-or-more years cycle myself.

If you have a few bucks to burn it's worth looking into newer helmets because, as said before, its your face and brain.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3
Real stupid question incoming.

Looking into enduros and prices for them seem to be rather high in my area. What's the consensus of converting something like a CRF450/250R or RM450/250 to be street legal. Minnesota is an honor system with no inspection. Just $10 and attest you have a front light, a plate light and a horn. I've see stators sold that can run this stuff on the bike, so would be not too hard.

I assume the maintenance on a bike like that is very prohibitive though and the main reason to just steer away. It would be a 2nd, or 3rd bike, so I'm a bit more interested, but I have a gut feeling it's dumb or more folks would do it. I want something like a DRZ-400E, but I'm having trouble finding them in my area.

Edit: it is a dumb idea. I also just saw a DRZ come up as I was pulling up craigslist for this post so I sent the guy a message.

TheFonz fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 20, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If the requirements are literally just a front light, a license plate light, and a horn....then go to AutoZone and pick up a 50w halogen fog lamp and a 12v white LED marker light, get any horn from any bike at the junkyard, and wire them in. Lights go directly to the battery through a switch (radio shack $2.99 toggle) mounted somewhere convenient, horn does the same but through a button. Not super difficult.

However, I bet the regulations also require a tail light, brake light, and four-way turn signals, with the appropriate control systems, and that's a lot more of a pain in the rear end to wire up if you don't have them already.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

Sagebrush posted:

If the requirements are literally just a front light, a license plate light, and a horn....then go to AutoZone and pick up a 50w halogen fog lamp and a 12v white LED marker light, get any horn from any bike at the junkyard, and wire them in. Lights go directly to the battery through a switch (radio shack $2.99 toggle) mounted somewhere convenient, horn does the same but through a button. Not super difficult.

However, I bet the regulations also require a tail light, brake light, and four-way turn signals, with the appropriate control systems, and that's a lot more of a pain in the rear end to wire up if you don't have them already.

It does need a tail light/brake light. No turn signals according to MN. I must have not realized, but do they not come with a brake light? It was a passing whimsy more than anything. Though I assume a brake light switch on a banjo bolt would be easy...

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Documents/MV-Certification-Checklist-Off-Road-Motorcycles.pdf

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

gently caress it, too much effort, just skip the RM450 and get a CR500.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Dutymode posted:

It looks like the fork tubes are just slid up. 4" is a lot, a quick Google only gave me one link that'll do this, this adjustable one - https://www.amazon.com/Soupys-KLR650-Double-Style-Lowering/dp/B00INCJAQM

If that's all they've done, you could swap it back in like 30 minutes.

Did they trim down the kickstand?

Good call on the stand, I don't know. Going to call him tomorrow and get more info/throw a lowball.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

TheFonz posted:

It does need a tail light/brake light. No turn signals according to MN. I must have not realized, but do they not come with a brake light? It was a passing whimsy more than anything. Though I assume a brake light switch on a banjo bolt would be easy...

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Documents/MV-Certification-Checklist-Off-Road-Motorcycles.pdf

I think this is generally what folks do: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1156/42562/Sicass-Racing-Lighting-Kit-With-Turn-Signals
I don't know specifically about Suzuki or Kawasaki but you can make most of the KTM 350/450/500s and the wr450 street legal with those.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Melted some velcro from my pants onto exhaust link pipe :manning: any way to get it off?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
My google-fu tells me this happens a lot; the two most popular options are nail polish remover, or get it back up to melting point and wipe it off.

Velcro is usually made of nylon and/or polyester, if that gives you any ideas of your own.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I've had success with ice and a vinyl paint scraper/fiberglass resin spreader.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Renaissance Robot posted:

My google-fu tells me this happens a lot; the two most popular options are nail polish remover, or get it back up to melting point and wipe it off.

Velcro is usually made of nylon and/or polyester, if that gives you any ideas of your own.

I melted some nylon straps from a backpack on the DRZ exhaust. I heated it back up and wiped. Seemed to work fine.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
This is good to know, as the header on my WRx routinely claims bits of gear, motorcycle covers, etc. I just let it burn away, but there is always residue. I suppose a non synthetic rag like cotton is good enough to wipe it away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I noticed it while the bike was running (during a 250 mile ride) and it wouldn't wipe off. Will def try the other suggestions though. Probably time for a lovely lil heatshield there