Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Endless Mike posted:

War of Kings was by far the worst part of that whole era of cosmic stuff. No one comes out remotely looking good other than Xavier for killing Vulcan and sparing us from more stories with him.

War of Kings was by far the beats segment of abnett and lanning's cosmic marvel run, since it was basically game of thrones in space.

That poo poo ruled.

Mr Hootington posted:

Really this decade of cosmic comics started out strong with both Annihilation titles

Edit: annihilators is after Thanos imperative, right?

Firstly, just end it after Thanos Imperative. Annihilators is a super pointless mess that feels like a bad epilogue to a story that was concluded with Thanos Imperative. It's not necessary and Thanos Imperative is the world/universe-shattering you're looking for.

Secondly, I totally disagree. Annihilation was a total loving mess from start to finish with the wo-o-o-orst art ever and a confused story. I mean, the best part of that story is its what if, which isn't exactly a vote of confidence. Conquest was great, but War of Kings is the best story of the run, dealing more with the realities of statecraft and how alliances shift and change during war and it's all just fantastic. Realm is a bit of a step down but I really enjoy it for going "okay we won this galaxy- spanning war, now what". So little of comics deal with reconstruction after a major war, and I appreciate the long look at the attempts to rebuild . Also it sets up Thanos Imperative which is just fantastic as a conclusion to this decade-long story.

The less said about annihilators or earthfall the better.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Toxxupation posted:

Firstly, just end it after Thanos Imperative. Annihilators is a super pointless mess that feels like a bad epilogue to a story that was concluded with Thanos Imperative. It's not necessary and Thanos Imperative is the world/universe-shattering you're looking for.

Secondly, I totally disagree. Annihilation was a total loving mess from start to finish with the wo-o-o-orst art ever and a confused story. I mean, the best part of that story is its what if, which isn't exactly a vote of confidence. Conquest was great, but War of Kings is the best story of the run, dealing more with the realities of statecraft and how alliances shift and change during war and it's all just fantastic. Realm is a bit of a step down but I really enjoy it for going "okay we won this galaxy- spanning war, now what". So little of comics deal with reconstruction after a major war, and I appreciate the long look at the attempts to rebuild . Also it sets up Thanos Imperative which is just fantastic as a conclusion to this decade-long story.

The less said about annihilators or earthfall the better.

I'll probably read it all because it is on MU and will cost me pennies to read it. I liked the statecraft and rebuilding aspect of war and realm, but reading the way the Shi'ra and Inhumans were written was infuriating.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Inhumans are my favorite superhero group (well, either them or the Fantastic Four I guess) and I loved them in war/realm. They're pricks, yes, but they're not evil and their actions are almost always justified as the most logical/pragmatic decision in a given situation in defending their race even if they're heartless ones. The closest the Inhumans get to a wrong decision is Black Bolt at the end of Infinity, but 1) virtually everyone but him finds his actions monstrous or at best too unilateral, 2) only black bolt made the decision in the first place, and 3) admittedly he WAS staring down the barrel of Thanos coming and destroying his entire loving race.

Oh and if you're gonna read annihilators or earthfall you mine as well read silver surfer: requiem, which is the single best silver surfer story and one of the best stories I've ever read.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

The Inhumans are my favorite superhero group (well, either them or the Fantastic Four I guess) and I loved them in war/realm. They're pricks, yes, but they're not evil and their actions are almost always justified as the most logical/pragmatic decision in a given situation in defending their race even if they're heartless ones.

I'm legitimately curious how that isn't evil. Isn't that basically the same thing as tons of 'evil' alien races or Magneto when he was at his most supervillain?

"I am doing a pragmatic, cruel and heartless thing for the gain of myself and/or my people" is infinitely a more common type of evil, even in comic books, than "mwahahaha, I enjoy eating babies."

Short of like Carnage pretty much every supervillain who isn't a mook is a cold hard man/woman doing what they need to in order to protect their people, even if it means wiping out a country/humanity/whatever.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 20, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm legitimately curious how that isn't evil. Isn't that basically the same thing as tons of 'evil' alien races or Magneto when he was at his most supervillain?

They're never really aggressors (outside of, again, the end of Infinity, which all the Inhumans treat Black Bolt (rightly) as a war criminal) or they're willing to seek peaceful solutions to problems before going all in on Imperialism.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
My favorite Inhumans thing is the slave class they have in the alpha primaries and the plan to enslave the Kree because they can not evolve anymore. Hey they tried to make the Kree Inhumans at least.

All the Eugenics too. Hahaha have to justify that in comic books. The Inhumans are baddies and probably the greatest non cosmic threat.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Mr Hootington posted:

My favorite Inhumans thing is the slave class they have in the alpha primaries and the plan to enslave the Kree because they can not evolve anymore. Hey they tried to make the Kree Inhumans at least.

Um excuse me, the Alpha Primitives are not a slave class, they are a slave race, made of humans exposed to xenogen mists to regress them to being semisentient slaves.

Like I get that they don't have them anymore, but "we literally created a race with the explicit purpose of enslaving them" is the kind of thing that should really preclude a group from being Good Guys ever.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Oasx posted:

Is there any comic that explains what exactly the new status quo is?
From what i can understand the Ultimate universe is no more, but a few of the Ultimate characters are in the proper Marvel universe now, but i would like a proper overview of what is different, instead of having to guess it by reading various titles.

Marvel really needs to get a primer out for this stuff, because I fell off in the last couple years (hated Hickman's whole run on Avengers, hated it), got back in for Secret Wars (whose title makes no sense other than as a throwback to the 80s event, I guess?) and every time I turn a page I find out Thor's a chick, Doom has his face, Cap is old, Logan is dead, the X-Men might be gone and Peter Parker runs a multi-national company.

I mean I really like a lot of the new status quo but I just have no idea how we got here.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

All those books explain their status quo in the first issue. And Secret Wars was a secret because pretty much nobody remembers it besides Molecule Man, Thanos, and the Future Foundation.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Nilbop posted:

Marvel really needs to get a primer out for this stuff, because I fell off in the last couple years (hated Hickman's whole run on Avengers, hated it), got back in for Secret Wars (whose title makes no sense other than as a throwback to the 80s event, I guess?) and every time I turn a page I find out Thor's a chick, Doom has his face, Cap is old, Logan is dead, the X-Men might be gone and Peter Parker runs a multi-national company.

I mean I really like a lot of the new status quo but I just have no idea how we got here.

Wikipedia or Google function as that primer for me - whenever I run across something and don't know how it happened, I either read about it on a wiki or use the wiki to find out what book it happened in. I don't think Marvel is really going to be able to get a succinct decription of everything that has changed in the status quo, considering each person who comes looking for that has a different status quo in mind when they are comparing.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Everything that changed after Secret Wars hasn't been written. It ended with a semi blank canvas and it was up to everybody else to cover it not Hickman.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Nilbop posted:

Thor's a chick: the Original Sin crossover, followed up by volume 4 of Thor
Doom has his face: the last issue of the core Secret Wars book
Cap is old: the "Iron Nail" storyline in volume 6 of Captain America
Logan is dead: fittingly, the Death of Wolverine limited series. There's a bunch that leads up to it in Cornell's run on Wolverine but a lot of it's flatly irrelevant.
The X-Men are gone: mostly dealt with in Extraordinary, but that's a very skippable book
Parker Industries: the first eight issues or so of ASM after the ANAD relaunch. Basically Tony's broke, Reed's gone, and everyone thinks Hank Pym is dead, so Peter's company ended up benefiting from a power vacuum, and at the same time, the terrorist organization Zodiac invested heavily in the company as part of an Evil Plot.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Let's answer these in order:

Nilbop posted:

Marvel really needs to get a primer out for this stuff, because I fell off in the last couple years (hated Hickman's whole run on Avengers, hated it), got back in for Secret Wars (whose title makes no sense other than as a throwback to the 80s event, I guess?)

Well, it's basically the endpoint of Hickman's run on A/NA so if you hated that you'll have a hard time getting a lot of the general themes, but beyond that SW 2015 has no real or thematic ties to the first Secret Wars, no.

Nilbop posted:

Thor's a chick

Original Sin has a section where Nick Fury tells Thor something (this has never been explained) that ends with Thor becoming unworthy. Axis turns Loki worthy of the hammer, and he fights Thor on the moon, where the Axis reversal hits him and he's forced to drop the hammer there. Because there's suddenly nobody who is worthy of moving the hammer in any way, everyone's just forced to leave it there. Jane Foster, as the Midgardian representative of the Council of the Nine Realms, encounters the hammer while walking around and finds herself worthy of it. She's going through cancer treatment and every time she uses the hammer, after she's done being Thor her body returns to the state it was prior to using the hammer so basically it means her cancer resets every time. So, in essence, being Thor is literally killing her.

As of current only the All-Mother and Sam Wilson know who Thor is. Odin brought his brother, the Serpent (from Fear Itself), back from exile because he's so goddamn pissed a woman's now Thor over the Odinson that he's willing to do whatever it takes (including becoming a totalitarian rear end in a top hat corrupted by his brother) if it means finding and killing the current Thor.

Nilbop posted:

Doom has his face

This happened at the end of Secret Wars (since Doom literally saved the multiverse because of the Ultimate/Marvel Universes collided at the end of Time Runs Out and the beginning of SW). Doom rebuilt the world (Which he titled Battleworld) out of chunks of space and time, thus combining all of them into a patchwork, singular Earth where all Marvel continuities ran concurrently (outside all of the Ultimate Universe, which got destroyed due to Ultimate End). The different areas of Battleworld were policed by the multiuniversal Thors squadron, so essentially this is how the explained stuff like Civil War and Planet Hulk and Age of Ultron and House of M and so on was happening simultaneously.

Anyways when Reed beats Doom at the end of SW 7 he, when rebuilding the multiverse with Molecule Man, gives Doom his face back in gratitude for, despite being a despotic prick, saving the multiverse from total and complete destruction.

Nilbop posted:

, Cap is old

Steve Rogers got the super-soldier serum sucked out of him during an event I didn't read, aging him to his "true" age (somewhere in the mid-70s). Kobik. a sentience born from Cosmic Cube fragments collected by SHIELD director Maria Hill to administer the Pleasant Hill experiment, gave him his youth back at the end of the Standoff mini a couple of months ago. While Cap was still old as poo poo he passed the shield onto Sam Wilson, so now there are two Captains America: Sam Wilson and Steve Rogers. Sam Wilson has the original shield and, for all intents and purposes, is considered the "main" Captain America right now.

quote:

Logan is dead

Killed off during an event I didn't read (I think that's been the case for a while now, like at least three or four years), his female clone X-23 who goes by Laura Linney is now the main Wolverine. Took his spot on the X-Men and currently is the star of the Wolverine solo (which is really loving good). As an aside, the events of the Old Man Logan tie-in of Secret Wars 2015 mean that Logan escaped his "section" of Battleworld and basically stumbled his way into the section with the main continuity X-Men, which meant when Reed rebuilt the multiverse Old Man Logan was brought along for the ride and is now part of the 616.

quote:

the X-Men might be gone

As far as I know, they're still around, but I dunno what their current status is since I don't read their books. I think the status quo is still that Beast brought the "original" X-Men (like the 1963 X-Men) forward in time to help them fix the current X-Men team but couldn't figure out a way back, so now they're just a separate team of X-Men or something and Young Jean Grey is the leader or something?

Nilbop posted:

and Peter Parker runs a multi-national company.

Peter Parker was killed off in Amazing Spider-Man #700, as the result of him and Doc Ock swapping bodies as Doc Ock was about to die from a stroke. Peter died (in Ock's body) and Doc Ock Peter decided to become the "Superior Spider-Man", the best possible Spider-Man. This mostly entailed him being a giant loving prick to everyone he came across, but he also redesigned the costume and gave Spider-Man a couple of new abilities. Deciding to be the best Spider-Man possible, he founded a megacorporation that quickly dominated industry due to Octavius' business and scientific acumen, then he fell in love with a little person who was also his partner. Then a bunch of stuff happened and Doc Ock Spidey realized he was going crazy and totalitarian (he built like a bunch of Spider-Slayers that went crazy and almost destroyed Manhattan or something, I also think he ended up kicked out of the Avengers because he was such a giant prick or whatever) and willingly sacrificed his life so the Peter Parker consciousness would regain control. The little person who Otto was dating realized that Peter was Spider-Man on the literal exact same day Peter regained control of his body, so he ends up confessing to her all the mind-switching stuff. At current she's basically running the company behind his back because Peter has no real business sense or interest. Oh, and him becoming a titan of business finally explained Peter and Spider-Man's relationship by saying that he's a bodyguard hired by Peter's company to do his crime-fighting and protect Peter Parker.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 20, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Toxxupation posted:

As far as I know, they're still around, but I dunno what their current status is since I don't read their books. I think the status quo is still that Beast brought the "original" X-Men (like the 1963 X-Men) forward in time to help them fix the current X-Men team but couldn't figure out a way back, so now they're just a separate team of X-Men or something and Young Jean Grey is the leader or something?

The Xavier school is being run by Storm, and has been physically transported to Limbo by Magik to protect everyone inside from the Terrigen Mists. Time-displaced Young Jean Grey is there as well. This is Extraordinary X-Men. It's skippable but fun, I like the art a lot and Magik is in it.

Magneto is running a team of killers (sabretooth, psylocke, etc) doing basically what X-Force used to do, but it's called Uncanny X-Men for some reason. Good team, good writing, bad art.

The other 4 time displaced Original 5, along with Kid Apocalypse, X-23 Who Is Now Wolverine and Oya, are in All-New X-Men and are on a road trip in an extra-dimensionally large winnebago.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

JoshTheStampede posted:

The other 4 time displaced Original 5, along with Kid Apocalypse, X-23 Who Is Now Wolverine and Oya, are in All-New X-Men and are on a road trip in an extra-dimensionally large winnebago.

Okay this sounds loving incredible. Is it loving incredible?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

Steve Rogers got the super-soldier serum sucked out of him during an event I didn't read, aging him to his "true" age (somewhere in the mid-70s).
I know it's comics, but this doesn't make a goddamned ounce of sense. If the super-soldier serum has been keeping him young, removing it from his body shouldn't make him instantly old, he should just start aging normally. Never mind that he was in suspended animation for a good portion of those 70ish years, so those shouldn't count regardless unless there was extra magic or whatever involved in this. I didn't read it either, so that's probably exactly what it is.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Toxxupation posted:

I wouldn't go so far as to say incredible, but it's probably all around the best of the three. Mark Bagley is good but not outstanding and Dennis Hopeless is very good at writing the kids. I have the least personal connection to that team so it took me a while to care but it's for sure worth reading.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wanderer posted:

Thor's a chick: the Original Sin crossover, followed up by volume 4 of Thor
Doom has his face: the last issue of the core Secret Wars book
Cap is old: the "Iron Nail" storyline in volume 6 of Captain America
Logan is dead: fittingly, the Death of Wolverine limited series. There's a bunch that leads up to it in Cornell's run on Wolverine but a lot of it's flatly irrelevant.
The X-Men are gone: mostly dealt with in Extraordinary, but that's a very skippable book
Parker Industries: the first eight issues or so of ASM after the ANAD relaunch. Basically Tony's broke, Reed's gone, and everyone thinks Hank Pym is dead, so Peter's company ended up benefiting from a power vacuum, and at the same time, the terrorist organization Zodiac invested heavily in the company as part of an Evil Plot.
Also re: Spider-Man: They seem to be hinting that the reason the Zodiac invested in them was because Otto as the Living Brain might have manipulated the Stock Market.

Toxxupation posted:

Well, the Laura/Warren relationship can be justifiably interpreted as 'toxic' in it. I kind of dropped it early into its run. If you want Wolverine, get her solo book. But don't read both, because god drat there is no character consistency between the two books.

Then again, others have enjoyed it, so maybe it's just me. I think it depends on your Dennis Hopeless tolerance.

I have no frame as reference regarding the other team books (other than they killed off Elixir again).

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also re: Spider-Man: They seem to be hinting that the reason the Zodiac invested in them was because Otto as the Living Brain might have manipulated the Stock Market.

Well, the Laura/Warren relationship can be justifiably interpreted as 'toxic' in it. I kind of dropped it early into its run. If you want Wolverine, get her solo book. But don't read both, because god drat there is no character consistency between the two books.

Wow, I super don't agree with that writeup at all. There's nothing "millennial" or "buffyspeak" about the way Laura talks - there's no pop culture or internet references, and she DID go to high school (albeit Xaviers) after the tiime she was a living weapon.

And Warren has been fake-emo-dark forever. He was loving DARK ANGEL, the gothest thing ever. That hasn't happened to this one, but that's in him, and he knows it. I agree its a dumb petty point he's trying to make to her, but I think the book presents it as dumb and petty. It's a book about teens and their bullshit, of course there's a poorly considered relationship, that's a mainstay of teen bullshit.

This whole essay just comes across as "I like Laura and her backstory so her edgy darkness is fine, but I don't like Warren so his is bullshit pretty white kids with problems", even though Laura is also a pretty white kid with problems.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah as soon as I saw the tumblr layout I braced myself for a dumb, ill-informed rant and that's...basically exactly what I got.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't care what it takes, just so long as Laura hooks up with young Scott.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't care what it takes, just so long as Laura hooks up with young Jean and Old Man Logan has a perpetual thousand-yard stare and deeply furrowed brow after he finds out.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Actually, yeah, Laura/Teen Grey would be kind of a fun take on the I-mustn't Logan/Jean era.

Plus it'd let Teen Bobby be a totally justified rear end in a top hat to Teen Jean.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Endless Mike posted:

War of Kings was by far the worst part of that whole era of cosmic stuff. No one comes out remotely looking good other than Xavier for killing Vulcan and sparing us from more stories with him.

I love War of Kings for how it ends with Gladiator killing all the people responsible for the Empress' death.
And then as a result all the remaining Shi'ar realise he's the only one who can protect him and make him Emperor. It's just like the ending to Chronicles of Riddick.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mosaic is a new series coming from Geoffrey Thorne and Khary Randolph in October

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/marvel-announces-mosaic-starring-diverse-body-jumping-antihero

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

John Stewart looks different.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Die Laughing posted:

And Secret Wars was a secret because pretty much nobody remembers it besides Molecule Man, Thanos, and the Future Foundation.

Well there's that one plot hole-ish moment in the last issue of Secret Wars that still bothers me where Black Panther is clutching the Reality Gem while the universe explodes around him, then in the next scene he's all "It worked" when he sees Wakanda reformed.... but then he promptly launches into talking about Alpha Flight and I guess he forgets Battleworld on the spot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Mosaic is a new series coming from Geoffrey Thorne and Khary Randolph in October

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/marvel-announces-mosaic-starring-diverse-body-jumping-antihero

That sounds pretty unremarkable. It'll be lucky to make it to issue #12.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
People always ask for diversity and black characters, so I wrote a guy who literally doesn't have a body and takes over the cultural speech patterns of anyone he inhabits.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He looks like that terrible Tron reject that hung out in Spider-man's book for a bit in the late 90s.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oasx posted:

I read the entire Secret Wars event these last few days, although for some reason Marvel Unlimited has forgotten to include 5-6 different tie-in titles on their event list. Is there any comic that explains what exactly the new status quo is?
From what i can understand the Ultimate universe is no more, but a few of the Ultimate characters are in the proper Marvel universe now, but i would like a proper overview of what is different, instead of having to guess it by reading various titles.

Okay, I'm going to go generally, then I'll describe differences title by title.

In general, for a good...oh let's say 90% of all currently running titles Secret Wars didn't affect them in any material way. For virtually every title, the modus operandi for SW 2015 was that they ended the current volume at the advent of SW 2015 (because all titles ended temporarily leading into SW 2015), sometimes with a final issue titled "Last Days of <Name of title>" and, if they weren't cancelled, resumed with the same creative team with an eight-month timeskip.

That, in fact, is the by-far most significant change that affected most Marvel titles. Unless the title ended or was cancelled by SW (like, say, Loki: Agent of Asgard), the comic resumed its next volume with no reference to SW beyond "A weird mirror Earth appeared over Manhattan and then mysteriously disappeared just as quickly eight months ago", which considering this is the Marvel Universe pretty much makes complete sense that everyone would treat that as barely a passing blip. But, yeah, for the vast majority of titles the eight-month timeskip is the source of the largest change: for instance, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl had zero tie-ins to SW 2015 in any form (no SW mini, no Last Days of, nothing), but Volume 2 skips forward eight months so Doreen's now a sophomore in college, gets a new haircut, etc. Spider-Woman used the eight month timeskip for Jessica Drew to decide to get pregnant and then get very very pregnant, like as in her post-SW first issue is her late in her third trimester. Ms Marvel has Kamala Khan now a sophomore in high school (and gives her best friend a girlfriend), and so on. I'm not gonna detail all those but, essentially, for most titles, SW 2015 didn't affect them at all and it skipped forward eight months to establish a new status quo for most characters.

In fact, the most significant portion of Hickman's A/NA run (which SW 2015 is really the endpoint of, not its own self-contained story) seems more or less invalidated by the end of SW 2015 resetting to status quo. We know that the end of Infinity happened (because the Terrigen mists were still released and mutants are still dying from M-Pox, as the X-Men/Inhumans titles prove) but everything after Infinity probably didn't. Which makes sense, since that's the portion of Hickman's A/NA run that has the most irrevocable changes to people's relationships. If I'm remembering Hickman's run correctly, somewhere in the middle of that was an eight-month timeskip too, further reinforcing this idea. Steve Rogers and Tony Stark don't seem to hate each others' guts and as far as I can tell stuff like the Builder War never happened, and it doesn't seem like all the members of Illuminati are wrecks over having committed universal genocide so I'm assuming that the new canon states that everything up to Infinity happened and everything after didn't. But we don't know.

Differences by title:

ANAD Avengers: Technically. Hickman ended his work on both Avengers and New Avengers so, as a matter of course, the ANAD relaunch after SW 2015 gave the main teamup title a different feel. It's pretty much pure Avengers-rear end Avengersing so you don't really need to know anything about what came before, but basically the Avengers have broken up or not around for unexplained reasons and Iron Man, Captain America and Thor decide to make a new team.

New Avengers: Al Ewing seems to be the writer carrying Hickman's banner from SW 2015, most directly addressing the fallout from the event. The Maker (having slipped through dimensions due to the events of SW) is the main antagonist of New Avengers, and he seems to be one of the only sentient beings in the 616 to be aware that something's wrong. It's unclear how much he knows, but it's clear he's aware that he's in the wrong location and he's currently trying to figure out what went wrong. Also, because it's a new creative team on the book over Hickman we have a totally new team. Ewing's not continuing the idea of the Avengers Initiative that Hickman came up with (that was the bedrock of his run on NA), instead going for the usual team. However, Sunspot (who Hickman rewrote as having become a successful businessman and "bought" AIM during his run) still is a successful, rich-as-hell self-made businessman who bought AIM and is now funding the New Avengers off the coast of California.

The Ultimates: Al Ewing's other major book, for obvious reasons this is an almost completely different book then what came before. Since the UU isn't around any more (eliminated during SW 2015 and specifically Ultimate End), the Ultimates are now no longer the 1610 version of the Avengers but, instead, a collection of the most cosmically powerful beings in the universe fighting Cosmic-level threats. Currently they're aware that something is desperately wrong with the Universe (heavily implied to be rips or tears in time/space due to the universe being rebuilt by Molecule Man at the end of SW) and trying to fix it.

Black Panther: Weird exception. Being a brand-new title post-SW and by Ta-Nehisi Coates, whom Marvel is affording more or less complete laterality, BP seems to be going with elements of Hickman's run as canon, namely that Shuri was killed as current Black Panther and queen, and that the Golden City was penetrated and destroyed, but other elements weren't - namely that none of the Illuminati stuff/T'Challa freaking out over destroying universes happened.

A-Force: New series spun off from a successful SW tie-in, it's more or less a sequel to that tie-in. Singularity is the exact same Singularity from the tie-in, meaning she remembers Battleworld perfectly and is confused by the changes within the 616. It's also the title that seems to be utilizing elements of the concept of Battleworld and its weird rules most fully - Ewing is more interested in the fallout of SW and the changes the event made to the Marvel Universe, while G. Willow Wilson seems to be most interested with bringing up stuff like the zones and the Thor corps.

Ultimate Spider-Man: The most changed title coming out of SW 2015 to the point where it's more or less a complete reboot. Basically everything about Miles Morales in the 616 is different - his mom is now alive (again), and all of his Ultimate, non-original character friends no longer exist, for obvious reasons. Genke and Lana Baumgartner (Bombshell) both still exist and his dad still used to be a former criminal (although it's unclear if he was a secret member of SHIELD during that time as well), but beyond that everyone and everything is different. They don't go into specifics with his backstory (and they loving shouldn't because it'll be a goddamn mess no matter how they try and justify it), but the new canon seems to be that Miles grew up a fan of Spider-Man's, got bit by a spider that gave him Ultimate Spider-Man's powers, and then threw on a costume and started crime fighting with 616 Spider-Man's full support and blessing. He told both Genke and his dad who he is, met Bombshell while crimefighting (or maybe while fighting her - it's not clear if she's a reformed criminal in current 616 continuity), and they both discovered each others' secret identities. Everything in the Ultimate Universe, for all intents and purposes, didn't happen and as far as Miles is aware it never did - he's not aware on even the slightest level that anything is wrong. He doesn't know who Peter Parker is.

Again, this looks a lot more complicated than it is. Basically for most books, it doesn't matter, and for most of the books where it does it's usually either a brand-new title or a continuation of a canon established within SW itself. Really, only Ewing's stuff is trying to actually address the fallout from SW 2015 in any significant way.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Geoffrey Thorne wrote a bunch of the better episodes of "Leverage" and Prodigal at Thrillbent. This will probably be a pretty fun comic.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh and in that huge block of text I forgot to mention but since nobody in the Future Foundation is around Johnny Storm and the Thing have broken up and are now in different books. Johnny's currently seriously dating Medusa in All-New Inhumans (they met up and bonded over the fact that Johnny was freaking out over his sister's family disappearing suddenly) and Thing is on the Guardians (a book I don't read so I can't tell you any more). Very minor change.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I just want to echo the sentiment from earlier that hooking up Jean and Laura would be great, especially for both for OML and lil' Bobby's reactions.

X-O posted:

On the one hand this sounds awesome and something I could totally be into but a solo series for a brand new character who sounds like he'll be off in bis own corner of the world doesn't sound long for this world.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
That would be awesome. They won't do it because that would make three gay characters in Extraordinary and two in AN, which they would say was "too many" though it clearly isn't, and also because making Jean not-straight casts doubt on the sacred cow of her fated love of Scott.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I have a big '90s X-Force-shaped hole in my knowledge of the old New Mutants characters, but I was under the impression that Bobby's evil dad had died and left Bobby everything, which included a high position in a ridiculously wealthy evil Brazilian corporation that could buy the moon if it wanted.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

He looks like that terrible Tron reject that hung out in Spider-man's book for a bit in the late 90s.

I'm gonna say... Cardiac?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

JoshTheStampede posted:

That would be awesome. They won't do it because that would make three gay characters in Extraordinary and two in AN, which they would say was "too many" though it clearly isn't, and also because making Jean not-straight casts doubt on the sacred cow of her fated love of Scott.

Who's the second in EXM? If you're talking about Magik, has she ever been openly gay in the 616 world? I know Chris Claremont intended her to be and in Secret War Siege she was with Leah, but iirc I don't think Marvel ever officially made 616 Magik gay.

Regardless, yeah, while Jean/Scott are solidly broken up now and not getting back together for the forseeable future, even if Jean were explicitly bi and every effort was made to make it clear this was not saying big Jean never loved big Scott, revealing lil' Jean's bisexual would still be too much for some fans of Jean/Scott and Marvel.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

DrProsek posted:

Who's the second in EXM? If you're talking about Magik, has she ever been openly gay in the 616 world? I know Chris Claremont intended her to be and in Secret War Siege she was with Leah, but iirc I don't think Marvel ever officially made 616 Magik gay.

Regardless, yeah, while Jean/Scott are solidly broken up now and not getting back together for the forseeable future, even if Jean were explicitly bi and every effort was made to make it clear this was not saying big Jean never loved big Scott, revealing lil' Jean's bisexual would still be too much for some fans of Jean/Scott and Marvel.

Anole and Old Bobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Ah right, forgot he was there :doh:.

• Locked thread