Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/GeT_RiGhTcs/status/744969496599924736

I'm disappointed too, G_R, I'm disappointed too..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
finally, after a trillion games where i go between awful and ok maybe fine, some guy called me a cheater again.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
btw always ALWAYS send a friend request to people that call you a loving hacker.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

- Bomb out of MLG Columbus qualifier 1-2, beating Selfless while losing to G2 and Flipsid3.
    - Win CEVO Gfinity Pro-League Season 9 Finals, beating SK twice, Dignitas, and Virtus.Pro.
    - Bomb out of ESL One Cologne Qualifier 1-3, beating Empire while losing to NV, Tyloo, and Flipsid3.
    - Win Dreamhack Summer 2016, beating ENCE, SK, GODSENT and NiP.

...What even is this team?

symbolic fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 20, 2016

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
A fairly young and erratic team with a high peak performance. Their record against the very best teams isn't too great though. I think if Astralis had beaten NiP they would have probably beaten Immortals too, but NiP are like Astralis' kryptonite. I wonder if they have a worse record against any other team?

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jeza posted:

semifinals are like Astralis' kryptonite.

ftfy

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!

Goofballs posted:

nobody is better at beating on teams that aren't t1 than astralis

Bohemian Nights posted:

Cancelled out by the fact that no-one is better at choking during finals
flat track bullies always and forever

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
So I spent the last week and a half playing at 900 effective DPI (dpi x sens) and realized that I'm sucking way too much at tracking to justify the use. Back to 800 effective even if I can't flick backwards as insanely it's still good enough.
Guess playing all this long you just get used to something. No reason to change.

I also tried an experiment a few weeks back to do 700 effective DPI. Found that way too slow.

Audax fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 21, 2016

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Audax posted:

I also tried an experiment a few weeks back to do 700 effective DPI. Found that way too slow.

Mine is lower still and I do much better with it that way. If I need to turn in a hurry then I'm probably hosed, but I was already in a bad spot to begin with.

I can't really do any fancy movement tricks but at least I can click heads.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Getting a decent mouse with a good sensor allows you to have a little higher sens and still be precise.

Not that mine's crazy high but it's about smack in the middle of what pros use, when mcvey here disconnected his mouse in an effort to further lower his

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone in this thread want to give some advice to a silver player trying to get up to gold?

Last year I played CSGO a few hours a week, and was gold nova 2 or so, but now I can get seem to get back there after taking several months off.

I used to play CS 1.6 quite a bit back in like 2009 or whatever, so I understand most of the concepts and such, but just cant seem to make the next step.

I find I am almost always losing the 'fair' battles 1v1 with rifles. My AK / M4 spam is pretty bad. But I get a decent amount of kills from map positioning or having the jump on people.

My best gun right now is probably the P90. Should I stick with that even though its not the best gun? Are there certain guns I should be buying every round at our at each stage?

I normally go

First Round Terrorist
Tec 9 and Flash

First Round CT
Body Armour w/ usp-s

Second Round Terrorist
Mac 10 with armour

Second Round CT
UMP with armour

Inbetween Rounds
P90 with armour
flash , HE

Buy CT
M4A1s armour , flash , he

Buy T
Ak47, armour, flash, smoke

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 21, 2016

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Play more death match and when you feel confident there move to ffa dm. I have been using workshop maps like aim training to get more consistent aim and meaningful warmup time

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

zapplez posted:

Anyone in this thread want to give some advice to a silver player trying to get up to gold?

Last year I played CSGO a few hours a week, and was gold nova 2 or so, but now I can get seem to get back there after taking several months off.

I used to play CS 1.6 quite a bit back in like 2009 or whatever, so I understand most of the concepts and such, but just cant seem to make the next step.

I find I am almost always losing the 'fair' battles 1v1 with rifles. My AK / M4 spam is pretty bad. But I get a decent amount of kills from map positioning or having the jump on people.

My best gun right now is probably the P90. Should I stick with that even though its not the best gun? Are there certain guns I should be buying every round at our at each stage?

I normally go

First Round Terrorist
Tec 9 and Flash

First Round CT
Body Armour w/ usp-s

Second Round Terrorist
Mac 10 with armour

Second Round CT
UMP with armour

Inbetween Rounds
P90 with armour
flash , HE

Buy CT

Buy T

I noticed quite the difference when I adjusted my aiming. I consciously remind myself "higher" when just running or turning round corners. Keeping my crosshair head level has done wonders for my overrall game. I win more 1 v 1 as my first shot is typically head high and if it connects it ends the fight quickly (duh).

The other was making my crosshairs custom, a color that stands out, and enough space to fit a head in at midrange to help 'assist' my aiming. Being aware of my crosshairs instead of just letting the stock on blend into the background, I constantly find myself correcting my aim from where I thought I was aiming vs where I actually was.

I know I ask for advice and am silver 2 but this is stuff that helped me. I'm not the best, love getting my poo poo pushed in because that's how you get better. Hell my first goon server game I managed 1 kill. The second 3. 10 after that.

Play with goons. Die a lot. Learn

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

zapplez posted:

I normally go

First Round Terrorist
Tec 9 and Flash

First Round CT
Body Armour w/ usp-s

Second Round Terrorist
Mac 10 with armour

Second Round CT
UMP with armour

Inbetween Rounds
P90 with armour
flash , HE

Buy CT

Buy T

watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9mvXfnY8wU

now you're ready to lower your sensitivity. Do that.

now watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWszuhOmPE4
and either apply the same principles to the m4 or watch this to have it spelled out:
https://youtu.be/AXqsSs_VJAs

Now you can stop buying the p90. Congrats on reaching gold.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

dex_sda posted:

watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9mvXfnY8wU

now you're ready to lower your sensitivity

now watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWszuhOmPE4
and either apply the same principles to the m4 or watch this to have it spelled out:
https://youtu.be/AXqsSs_VJAs

Congrats on reaching gold.

*pending teammates that aren't a part of the normal CSGO community.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Soulex posted:

*pending teammates that aren't a part of the normal CSGO community.

There is nothing about teamwork in these videos. It's all tips for individual skill. That's enough to carry hard enough to get gold, trust me. You probably only need to start worrying about teamplay around high novas (some would claim that doesn't happen until eagle but they're being too hyperbolic imo)

The good news is that it's really simple to get these basics down if you practice them and do deathmatch to learn how to click heads, and you'll skyrocket in your rank.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Oh yeah, imo a molly is a better buy than the HE if you can afford it. It's a guaranteed cleared angle, or a guaranteed stopped/weakened rush. ~30hp less on an enemy from a lucky grenade isn't important enough in silver, and in silver all grenades that take any HP off your enemies will be lucky. Good T molly examples: NBK/fence on A site cache (that's the corner of fence/squeaky hallway) by banking it off the quad warheads; behind box in checkers near B site. Good CT mollies: whatever chokepoint they're gonna run through that you can molly without exposing yourself.

If you want to know more nades, flashes, smokes etc. then look up guides or whatever, but it's worth knowing how to improvise a nade, and in silver you don't ever need to pull out a single nade, just making sure your aim and burst is on point is enough. Watch a demo from your last played games on someone other than yourself and pay attention to how many shots and sprays they whiff, and how much time they give you to wreck all of them. It is educational to perform that same experiment on yourself afterwards

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 21, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

dex_sda posted:

There is nothing about teamwork in these videos. It's all tips for individual skill. That's enough to carry hard enough to get gold, trust me. You probably only need to start worrying about teamplay around high novas (some would claim that doesn't happen until eagle but they're being too hyperbolic imo)

The good news is that it's really simple to get these basics down if you practice them and do deathmatch to learn how to click heads, and you'll skyrocket in your rank.

The video (just watched the first) is really good and learned yet another new thing to practice.

What I'm saying with teammates is based on my experience thus far. My team always splits up when we make a call to rush together. Not like split rush A, but Rush B and one or two wander off and go A instead of helping bomb or worse, taking bomb off to somewhere out in the middle of nowhere.

The second is that even as the top fragger or whatever, you're only going to be able to do so much if your team is getting killed, not listening to call outs, or defending the objective and choosing to hunt instead. I'm pretty consistently on the top or second for my team in MM and even then, I can't go against 3 plus people a round every time.

I'm just at the point where everyone wants to do their own thing and complain when they start losing. I'm not the leader or one that gives orders more oft than not, but when we have bomb and you don't come back to defend it and instead try to run around finding the last two, getting caught out and killed off one by one, it makes it harder to clutch and win matches. That's my biggest issue really.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Soulex posted:

The video (just watched the first) is really good and learned yet another new thing to practice.

What I'm saying with teammates is based on my experience thus far. My team always splits up when we make a call to rush together. Not like split rush A, but Rush B and one or two wander off and go A instead of helping bomb or worse, taking bomb off to somewhere out in the middle of nowhere.

The second is that even as the top fragger or whatever, you're only going to be able to do so much if your team is getting killed, not listening to call outs, or defending the objective and choosing to hunt instead. I'm pretty consistently on the top or second for my team in MM and even then, I can't go against 3 plus people a round every time.

I'm just at the point where everyone wants to do their own thing and complain when they start losing. I'm not the leader or one that gives orders more oft than not, but when we have bomb and you don't come back to defend it and instead try to run around finding the last two, getting caught out and killed off one by one, it makes it harder to clutch and win matches. That's my biggest issue really.

Eh somewhat un-true, you can solo carry, it just gets harder as the skill gap between you and the enemies closes, but if you can trade kills without getting banged up too badly (again easier at lower ranks) you can easily carry round after round.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

zapplez posted:

they modified the rankings more evenly spread them around the new year, so that might be part of the issue.

i think this image is for th enew ranks as of january, so it could be different now

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Soulex posted:

You are correct that CS:GO community sometimes does that. Especially in lower ranks, because this game being what it is, everyone thinks they're better. It's much easier to pick out mistakes when watching than to avoid them in the first place (I bet you can notice when a pro makes a mistake while watching a match!), so people get toxic because they're convinced they know better. They're convinced they're right, and you're the shitter. Especially if you solo, you can't avoid that. This is true.

Here's the thing, though. You obviously have a few big advantages over most teammates in silver. For one, you know to stick with the bomb instead of hunting frags. For another, you're willing to watch videos to learn how to apply basics correctly, and train that, and then translate it to competitive. That's something you can control, and you're in luck, because I guarantee you, in silver, that is enough to take on 2-3 people each round on average. Predict where your enemies could be, aim there before they are there, click head (into a decent spray if you miss), three times a round. They give you enough time to do that, so don't panic, just worry about getting the frags that come to you. Give decent callouts, shut up when dead and just keep to your thing. Apply good vibes carefully, but liberally.

Sometimes your teammates will be so poo poo you'll lose despite top fragging. But you'll consistently be swinging the game in your favor, and that's enough for 70+% of the games to be won. And that's enough to skyrocket you into ranks where lonewolfing is not enough. But people in those ranks actually listen to a rush call, sit on the bomb, and don't throw away advantages (currently, that point is around low MG1)

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 21, 2016

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Soulex posted:

What I'm saying with teammates is based on my experience thus far. My team always splits up when we make a call to rush together.

This isn't a bad thing necessarily. A lot of cts use most of their grenades in like the first 20 seconds of a match to counter rushes. Like if the ts decide to rush long on dust 2 and the cts throw 2 frags into long double doors at the start of the round the ts are going to get demolished. So you wait 30 seconds to push. By then though the odds of a ct sticking his nose out somewhere are pretty high. So to stick with the dust 2 example if you're all waiting outside long for the smoke and the frags to go away and the b guy decides to push into upper dark he's going to call that no one is there so there will be 4 guys waiting for you on a and you're going to get pushed from behind when you're moving out. So people split up to counter ct aggressionand info gathering. There is a wide difference between halting the cts and getting into a fight you can die in though. Getting them to regroup and attack in unison is the challenge because gently caress you you're not my real dad. So like if 4 of you hang out outside long and one guy waits in upper dark and at 1:30 the four of you head out long the outside b guy can head towards short and maybe catch that guy if he's pushing. I'm just saying the other players do have a thought process whether or not you agree with it.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 21, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

MF_James posted:

Eh somewhat un-true, you can solo carry, it just gets harder as the skill gap between you and the enemies closes, but if you can trade kills without getting banged up too badly (again easier at lower ranks) you can easily carry round after round.

I'm not either good enough or consistent enough to be able to do this and come out with a win. I try, don't get my wrong, but sometimes I just can't perform as much as I'd like to.

dex_sda posted:

You are correct that CS:GO community sometimes does that. Especially in lower ranks, because this game being what it is, everyone thinks they're better. It's much easier to pick out mistakes when watching than to avoid them in the first place (I bet you can notice when a pro makes a mistake while watching a match!), so people get toxic because they're convinced they know better. They're convinced they're right, and you're the shitter. Especially if you solo, you can't avoid that. This is true.

Here's the thing, though. You obviously have a few big advantages over most teammates in silver. For one, you know to stick with the bomb instead of hunting frags. For another, you're willing to watch videos to learn how to apply basics correctly, and train that, and then translate it to competitive. That's something you can control, and you're in luck, because I guarantee you, in silver, that is enough to take on 2-3 people each round on average. Predict where your enemies could be, aim there before they are there, click head (into a decent spray if you miss), three times a round. They give you enough time to do that, so don't panic, just worry about getting the frags that come to you. Give decent callouts, shut up when dead and just keep to your thing. Apply good vibes carefully, but liberally.

Sometimes your teammates will be so poo poo you'll lose despite top fragging. But you'll consistently be swinging the game in your favor, and that's enough for 70+% of the games to be won. And that's enough to skyrocket you into ranks where lonewolfing is not enough. But people in those ranks actually listen to a rush call, sit on the bomb, and don't throw away advantages (currently, that point is around low MG1)
Thanks. I've always applied the principal "If you're out performing everyone, it's time to find tougher opponents." and "learn how the game works idiot." I'm all about having fun, especially after MW2 made me into a really toxic player. I learned from it, realized I shouldn't be paying 60 dollars for something that pisses me off, and decided to dial it back.

Shutting up while dead is a big one to me. I was playing recently and this kid kept talking telling me to run when the bomb had 30 seconds left. I wouldn't so he kept getting louder and I couldn't hear the footsteps of CTs coming cat. Through luck and determination I finally was able to defend the bomb and kill the CTs. I yelled at him in chat for a solid minute and the other team was even like "yeah you don't do that idiot."

I can only hope that I either find some goons or other friends around the same level I am to make it out of silver, or that prime will eventually weed out the majority of the players that are making it difficult for me.

Thanks again!

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Soulex posted:

I'm not either good enough or consistent enough to be able to do this and come out with a win. I try, don't get my wrong, but sometimes I just can't perform as much as I'd like to.

Thanks. I've always applied the principal "If you're out performing everyone, it's time to find tougher opponents." and "learn how the game works idiot." I'm all about having fun, especially after MW2 made me into a really toxic player. I learned from it, realized I shouldn't be paying 60 dollars for something that pisses me off, and decided to dial it back.

Shutting up while dead is a big one to me. I was playing recently and this kid kept talking telling me to run when the bomb had 30 seconds left. I wouldn't so he kept getting louder and I couldn't hear the footsteps of CTs coming cat. Through luck and determination I finally was able to defend the bomb and kill the CTs. I yelled at him in chat for a solid minute and the other team was even like "yeah you don't do that idiot."

I can only hope that I either find some goons or other friends around the same level I am to make it out of silver, or that prime will eventually weed out the majority of the players that are making it difficult for me.

Thanks again!

There's a goon group in the OP somewhere, includes low nova/high silver players that will probably be less toxic. I don't really queue up with anyone cause I enjoy the aspect of meeting new people each time but many people prefer to queue up with someone they at least tolerate, you might have luck asking there.

A lot of silvers now are really extra toxic too because Valve adjusted the ranks and some of them were around GNM before, so they're convinced they are the poo poo. It's really rough down there now, I got dropped into GN2 after three months of inactivity and while I climbed that accidental smurf to MG2 with only 2 losses it was really bad, people are the worst. At least there's nothing funnier than a kid raging at you for narrowly missing a 1v5 while you're on 40 frags and he's on 4 lol. But keep improving individually and you'll climb out of the shithole.

You're from Europe, right (I assume this since I see you in the Serie A thread)? If you were from America I'd recommend goonpugs to get a taste of a decent game every now and again lol.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 21, 2016

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Soulex posted:

Essential for solo queue:
bind v "toggle voice_scale 0 1"

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Is it just me or are the FAMAS and Galil just loving awful in GO? I remember them being decent in Source and 1.6 if you didn't have AK/M4 cash but I always find myself saving the extra dough and just buying an MP7 if the budget is tight.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

The French Army! posted:

Is it just me or are the FAMAS and Galil just loving awful in GO? I remember them being decent in Source and 1.6 if you didn't have AK/M4 cash but I always find myself saving the extra dough and just buying an MP7 if the budget is tight.

Yes and no. The Galil is a pretty decent pickup on CT side, and the FAMAS can be used well, but a Galil is not good enough to overpower a defense without some nutty shots, and a FAMAS just tends to loving not score you a kill even though you could swear it should. I usually force up with an UMP + nades or an MP7 + nades. Or pistol + nades. Or a naked M4 instead of a FAMAS + nades, the only time I will not prioritize utility.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I have a bind on Mouse3 that when I push it I disable voice and I say in team chat "I need to focus". I probably should just remove the team chat bit though but man does a clutch button help when idiots think telling me to reload is useful.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

dex_sda posted:

There's a goon group in the OP somewhere, includes low nova/high silver players that will probably be less toxic. I don't really queue up with anyone cause I enjoy the aspect of meeting new people each time but many people prefer to queue up with someone they at least tolerate, you might have luck asking there.

A lot of silvers now are really extra toxic too because Valve adjusted the ranks and some of them were around GNM before, so they're convinced they are the poo poo. It's really rough down there now, I got dropped into GN2 after three months of inactivity and while I climbed that accidental smurf to MG2 with only 2 losses it was really bad, people are the worst. At least there's nothing funnier than a kid raging at you for narrowly missing a 1v5 while you're on 40 frags and he's on 4 lol. But keep improving individually and you'll climb out of the shithole.

You're from Europe, right (I assume this since I see you in the Serie A thread)? If you were from America I'd recommend goonpugs to get a taste of a decent game every now and again lol.

I used to live in Germany, but I'm not back in the US. I'm on the west coast, and will be moving down to California in a few months.

I'm in one of the Goon Groups, the one that plays on the sub.io and have fun there.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

zapplez posted:

ArfJason posted:

arfjasons epic guide to getting good at csgo:

coordinate buys with your team
crosshair at head level at all times
play a lot of matches
learn a couple smokes per site, some are more important than others
learn to handle the first 10 bullets in a spray
play a lot of matches
from those games try to learn what the common holding spots are
no really, play lots of matches

congrats you are better

ArfJason posted:

oh i forgot, always play with a volume that lets you hear footsteps, and make calls.

there are a trillion other things that will help you but they are mostly consequence of positioning, aiming/spraying, calls and smokes

seriously, just play a lot and youll get going, as long as you remember to keep crosshair at head level
also your buys dont seem to consider whether you won or lost pistol and if Ts planted. check the op as theres useful info on the different scenarios that can happen during the first 3 rounds

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

EchoFox actually took a nap off NaVi? :staredog:

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

symbolic posted:

EchoFox actually took a nap off NaVi? :staredog:

It was an interesting game but a lot of super sloppy stuff from Navi. They lost two anti-eco rounds to EchoFox for basically no reason beyond overextending down long.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

The French Army! posted:

they're both OK but if you can learn the UMP really well there's no need to practice with a famas or galil.

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013
How far can I progress up the ranks just rushing with a shotgun/smg? I'm currently GN3 with absolutely no idea any rifle spray patterns etc. I pretty much just charge with a nova/sawed off/mag 7/p90 every round. I'm pretty new to counterstrike, and I only have 38 wins.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Divine Blob posted:

How far can I progress up the ranks just rushing with a shotgun/smg? I'm currently GN3 with absolutely no idea any rifle spray patterns etc. I pretty much just charge with a nova/sawed off/mag 7/p90 every round. I'm pretty new to counterstrike, and I only have 38 wins.
You've probably reached your ceiling, quite frankly. Learn the spray patterns and recoil control of the rifles as soon as possible.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
you can win a lot of rounds with smgs and shotguns but you will eventually run into a lot of issues with disciplined opponents

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013

symbolic posted:

You've probably reached your ceiling, quite frankly. Learn the spray patterns and recoil control of the rifles as soon as possible.

AK/M4 first I assume?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Divine Blob posted:

AK/M4 first I assume?

Yeah. You'll use these the most.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Divine Blob posted:

AK/M4 first I assume?
Yeah. Start with AK because the recoil is much worse than the A1 or even the A4. Then move onto the M4s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

dont listen to these noobs!! buy a bizon and practice the spray it will teach you how to spray transfer