Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

atrus50 posted:

all the art so far has been real good, on a whole different level than bfz

Werid that I thought of Christina's World as soon as I saw that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

atrus50 posted:

The art so far is actually cool and good, unlike poo poo like this:

Magic is way more fun when the cards don't look like they were created by a 10 year old.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

It's like a super hosed up version of Howl's Moving Castle.

Also it turns out Eldrazi (and horror in general) is more effective when it's relateable and not abstract. Who would have thought.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

atrus50 posted:

Idk the perspective is really hosed up in that picture. Either the people are huge or the houses are tiny

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i actually think the houses are much farther away than you would initially assume. the weapons on the horizon are back around where the houses are i believe

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I'll admit I was really hoping for some lower-key Shadow Over Innsmouth-style "local" horror with humans that flip into Merfolk Horrors or something, rather than jumping right up to Emrakul herself for the big bad, but I do love how Eldrazi are finally Scary As poo poo rather than simply being Big As poo poo.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 22, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm not going to do a 180 on the lameness of the flavor so far over one card but holy hell that is my favorite thing

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
Hanweir's neat but it'd be creepier with a "human ooze" typeline. Nthing the disappointment that they went all in on the eldrazi in the space of one? set.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Johnny Landmine posted:

I'll admit I was really hoping for some lower-key Shadow Over Innsmouth-style "local" horror with humans that flip into Merfolk Horrors or something, rather than jumping right up to Emrakul herself for the big bad, but I do love how Eldrazi are finally Scary As poo poo rather than simply being Big As poo poo.

Plus it evokes all manner of Cthuluisms so it fits the planes flavor well

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The subtle poo poo people are asking for is literally in SOI.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

whydirt posted:

The subtle poo poo people are asking for is literally in SOI.

Yeah but just like in bfz block they go from 0-60 way too quick. 2 titans eating the plane? Burn then to death next set! Weird poo poo on Innistrad? It's Emrakul guys here she is! Whew, almost had some kind of setup for those payoffs.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Have Blue posted:

Hanweir's neat but it'd be creepier with a "human ooze" typeline.

I'm guessing the general Innistrad human tribal stuff would have made that pretty weird one of the major themes of Innistrad has always been pure humans vs other stuff and letting the tribal stuff that reinforces that accessible to a big gently caress-off ooze would have been a compromise. Like I'm happy Bonds of Faith stops it, etc.
E: V And yeah the middle or third set of blocks has consistently been hecka mediocre especially on the end which WotC can actually measure so like

is that good fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 22, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I too miss the insanely lovely middle set.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
hey guys remember born of the gods

yeah me neither

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

atrus50 posted:

They need to find a way to get more of the art on these cards...

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

yeah me neither

hey man don't talk poo poo about the set that brought us one of the most cherished and remembered cycles in recent history: the Fated instants
E: and who could forget the most riveting escalation of the problems Xenagos was causing; there being some creatures with weird starry bits I guess but more unfriendly than the other ones

is that good fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 22, 2016

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I wonder if the full art game-day cards could work for everything, because those own.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ShaneB posted:

I wonder if the full art game-day cards could work for everything, because those own.

If only they got rid of the needless frames.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
I wonder if the flip side of that creature is going to be a land township or something then. The flavor!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

HMS Boromir posted:

yeah me neither

Remember how they replaced monstrosity with tribute then tribute was so bad they brought monstrosity back in the third set

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

cheetah7071 posted:

Remember how they replaced monstrosity with tribute then tribute was so bad they brought monstrosity back in the third set

That whole block would have been so much cooler if they'd just replaced Tribute with Constellation, to have Constellation be in 2/3 of the sets.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

EatinCake posted:

I wonder if the flip side of that creature is going to be a land township or something then. The flavor!
By collector number it is most likely either red or green, so probably not.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

mcmagic posted:

So much of magic's art is really great and interesting, but as the game has evolved and the art has gotten much more detailed and expansive it's all lost on the tiny little box.

There's a lot of reason why people like the old art: less homogenized, less realism, more interpretive. For me though, it's that you can actually see what the poo poo is going on at a glance. I also totally get why people like the new art. It's better. But gently caress if I can tell when it's sitting there on the table.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Have Blue posted:

Hanweir's neat but it'd be creepier with a "human ooze" typeline. Nthing the disappointment that they went all in on the eldrazi in the space of one? set.

My biggest regret is that we never got a card called "Simic Angel" with "Creature - Human Bird Ooze" in its type line.

"This is how you make them, right?"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The EDM set should have lenticular cards and cards that don't look right to show the player, as a planes walker, is going mad. Stuff like the text pointing in different directions and oozing out of the card and other joke-set only shenanigans. :getin:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Ferrinus posted:

My biggest regret is that we never got a card called "Simic Angel" with "Creature - Human Bird Ooze" in its type line.

This is extremely true, and my poo poo.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Ferrinus posted:

Human Bird Mutant

"Close enough. - Momir Vig"

They couldn't do that just because people would automatically assume it's actually an angel and be disappointed when it's not.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Wizards, please don't release a video titled "Access Magic: Eldritch Moon, Episode 2 - Teaser", with the description, "On Episode 2 of Access Magic, Jenna Helland and Jeremy Jarvis reveal the true source of Innistrad’s madness and preview a pair of terrifying new cards from Eldritch Moon. Take on the darkness at Prerelease on July 16 and 17, 2016." and have it only be an announcement that there will be an announcement and not preview any cards. Why have a video saying there will be a video in a few days?

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
This is the age of trailers for trailers. They're just embracing this amazingly stupid trend.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

I might be interested in flipping this...

Wouldn't this be the flipside of the card?

There's no CMC so that makes me think this is what something transforms into. Maybe another land turns into this?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

80s James Hetfield posted:

Wouldn't this be the flipside of the card?

There's no CMC so that makes me think this is what something transforms into. Maybe another land turns into this?

Yes, this is the nightside and they haven't revealed the dayside yet.

From the collector number it will probably be a red creature.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Ferrinus posted:

Trust only Simic brand AvaSyn

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I could definitely see this being another land. Normal Hanweir turns into Tetsuo at the end of Akira Hanweir.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
We literally know it's red or green based on the collector number.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

My guess is a green defender since hanweir was building a wall around itself and so forth

Hanweir has been made great again

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Maybe another land turns into this?

That would make sense, except collector's number is way too low for that. Lands go at the end of the set by collector's number, but this card is positioned 3/5 of the way through.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

maybe m'rakul is messing with the dev team so all the collector's numbers and randomized and haphazard

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Plot Guess:
The Jacetice League goes to Bloodborne Block, gets beat by Emracool 2 Electric Boogaloo, and Liliana swoops in all White Ranger like and holds her back, Chandra, ever the one to think with fire, realizes she might have the pocket upgrade episode back on her home plane, so she heads the Kaladesh to find her Better Fire Gear she left in her other pants pocket, only to discover that her mother is not dead and is in fact in charge of a revolt against the plane's Authority, which has complete control over Kaladesh.

Chandra finds out that the power was within all along, promises her mom she'll return, goes back and single handedly roasts Emracool.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
What if it's a colored land? Does that even work rules wise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ScarletBrother posted:

What if it's a colored land? Does that even work rules wise?

It does, but it's unlikely to be something they'd do in this block, and it would probably still be sorted with the lands at the end.

• Locked thread