Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

a lot of people here will say don't do it but honestly being in the military was the best possible thing that happened to me. You'll grow a lot as a person. I say go for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Reverand maynard posted:

a lot of people here will say don't do it but honestly being in the military was the best possible thing that happened to me. You'll grow a lot as a person. I say go for it.

You mean you'll grow to hate people?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Booblord Zagats posted:

Cool dude with art skills and a film degree

Nah, I was set to finish my double major next Spring, but that's on hiatus since I got hired by the state. I have all kinds of great contacts and experience (for the level of stuff I want to do) so I still got what I needed out of the film program.

..And since I got a job without it, the criminal justice degree isn't immediately necessary either. I can always pursue something at the grad level if this winds up being the career I'll want to stick with.

While I realize all that still reads as "waste of GI Bill", pursuing something in the Fine Arts seemed to go over really well in interviews- maybe just because it dispelled whatever Marine/"combat" veteran preconceptions they might've had. It also added some credibility to my claiming that I've collaborated with people other than 20-something straight white males.

Soulex posted:

Fake edit: I'm currently gonna go attend USD and get a degree because while I know the industry is all about networking and I don't know anyone, I figured going to college, getting a degree and that stuff will help me out with networking. Since I already have experience, the degree will "validate" it.

Make poo poo. Help other people make poo poo and then they'll help you make poo poo. Eventually your poo poo won't be quite-so-poo poo anymore.

If you want to be wanted, be the sound guy. Everybody wants to be DP, so everybody's willing to be grip/camera/AC. Nobody wants to fuss with sound, it sucks.

If you've got a big boy income (relative to your 18-22 year old peers'), having some nice toys will get you invited to participate, too. Between that and being old enough to play non-college-aged characters in their films, I've gotten to know some guys who are producing really cool poo poo. Being available, upbeat, and motivated are obviously huge, too. I have no life and had a super flexible job so I could show up on set pretty much anytime. Last week I popped in on an extended lunch break thinking I'd be background and was instead handed a few lines. It's fun.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

xthetenth posted:

Everything I hear about the USAF makes me think there's only one acceptable response to their personnel management:

Guys, I'm concerned.

This is loving accurate.

Edit: Pick the service and career field that best suits your plans. Talk to people who know what you'd actually do in that job. Sign up for that job and do not settle. If a stint in the military gets you where you want to go in life, go for it. Otherwise...well, think it over and try to be realistic.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

xthetenth posted:

Guys, I'm concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeEMiW1vMvU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e8o-DevINw

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
hey Unfunny Poster, if you're seriously looking at USAF PAO....don't. My wife is 12 years prior enlisted PA. I could write a dissertation on why you don't want to go that route, but here's the cliff notes:

- you will do absolutely nothing that you have said you want to do. USAF PAO's don't do any of the actual hands on stuff, they just supervise enlisted who do the actual work as far as photography, shooting video, writing, etc. PAOs spend all of their time getting inane taskers from senior leadership at their wing and being blamed for stupid poo poo that the same senior leadership does (also blamed for public reaction to something, like PAOs are somehow these puppet masters who can control public opinion.)

- career field is woefully undermanned (which is saying something given the entire USAF officer corps is woefully undermanned). Ops tempo is high, everyone is filling a billet at least one billet up (Lts are in Capt slots, Capts are filling Major billets, and so on). As a brand new Lt you'll likely be running a wing PA shop. In this position you will have absolutely no power, your WG/CC will ignore everything you say, and whatever stupid bullshit happens because the WG/CC went off half-cocked after ignoring everything you said will be your fault (and you will hear about it immediately because you'll be working directly for the WG/CC).
-- as one data point on the manning situation, I know of a wing where the last two PAOs have gotten out after the assignment. First one because her career field told her to gently caress off when she asked for a join spouse assignment to actually be in the same state as her husband, second one because she's just fed up (also the join spouse thing would have been a factor except for the fact that she already got divorced in part due to geographical separation.)

- chances of going on a bullshit Army JET deployment are high, chances of going on a bullshit USAF deployment are high

My wife just laughed in their face when they asked her informally if she'd consider cross-training into PAO (and then laughed again when her current career field manager said there was no way in hell they'd release her anyway)

e: to be clear, I'm not necessarily saying don't join. There's plenty of jobs out there that don't suck (or at least suck considerably less), on both the E and O sides, and some of them might interest you. I'm just saying based on what you have said, USAF PAO seems not what you should be looking at.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 23, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'll have you know I just read through an AFPC briefing and 11x manning is at 95%. 13B primary duty manning is at 97% and 13B staff manning is at 77% for an overall 13B manning level of 98%. :smug.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
He should just go infantry. Army, Marines, doesn't matter.

The PAO guys I work with got a drone, like one of those $400 civilian models, to use to shoot footage, and broke it the first time they used it. Crashed it into a telephone line.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
why have a real job when you could be getting yelled at for dumb poo poo, work with dumb shits, and pick up heavy things and cigarette butts and carry those heavy things for 20 miles then get shot at and/or shoot back at some people then get blown the gently caress up and come back with sadbrains? do it you loving pussy.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Trust the man with the bleeding skull-face

he knows whats what

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Don't forget making pictures with rocks, possibly painting said rocks, and ~peacetime~ enlistment.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Come now, shouldn't everyone experience the joys of the Ex-Jack in a blue rocket?

Man that reminds me of my first summer ex. 9 days in Pet in late August, I was still untrained at that point but could drive so spend 3 days driving the BC around in an Iltis. Fun little death-traps. Then the BSM's ride broke down and they kicked me to supply, so I got to spend approx. 8 hours a day tanning, smoking, reading and napping between doing supply runs.

Oh and the supply spot was right on an impassible part of the Petawawa river so got to go swimming every day, too. That QM was chill as fuuuuuck and smoked unfiltered player's silvers.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I had our PAO guys taking video of me filling sandbags once. They then videotaped my coworkers and I piling those sandbags around a generator. The purpose was because the noise annoyed the 1SG and commander. The video is on Facebook somewhere.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Unfunny Poster posted:

Yeah that's a thing I'm still sort of confused on and am waiting to hear back from the local recruiter about. Ultimately, I don't care about not editing for my actual position, I've done most of my stuff not editing ranging from the menial task of ensuring metadata entry for 3000 some odd movies for a channel met the FCC CC guidelines to actually sorting out the shoot paperwork stuff for an interstitial that got aired. Not doing actual editing stuff for the job isn't going to kill me, I do random videos outside of my job and ended up on Kotaku earlier this year as a result of dumb people in a bad MMO that I made a video about.

I would definitely include those in your civilian job applications. Awards are one of the big things people like to brag about from my experience, stuff like "we won X number of Cablefax/local Emmy's/etc." is pretty much a regular thing. Check any of the major media company's sites (Viacom, Turner Jobs, FOX, etc.) since they're pretty big and would probably swoop you in if you have enough related experience. You can also look for smaller gigs like wedding photographers & videographers or smaller production hubs. There's also always the local news stations which isn't really exciting but its a job so whatever.

Thanks for this. I've really only applied to one position so far that would have trumped my decision to go to college, but I never heard back so gently caress it.

I'll definitely keep producing and going though. I'm a sports photographer right now that does some freelance work, but wedding gigs have my interest. However, I'd want to do it a certain way, and it would be more indepth, and it would also cost a lot more than a regular photographer/videographer.

Victor Vermis posted:

Make poo poo. Help other people make poo poo and then they'll help you make poo poo. Eventually your poo poo won't be quite-so-poo poo anymore.

If you want to be wanted, be the sound guy. Everybody wants to be DP, so everybody's willing to be grip/camera/AC. Nobody wants to fuss with sound, it sucks.

If you've got a big boy income (relative to your 18-22 year old peers'), having some nice toys will get you invited to participate, too. Between that and being old enough to play non-college-aged characters in their films, I've gotten to know some guys who are producing really cool poo poo. Being available, upbeat, and motivated are obviously huge, too. I have no life and had a super flexible job so I could show up on set pretty much anytime. Last week I popped in on an extended lunch break thinking I'd be background and was instead handed a few lines. It's fun.

Oh yeah, I don't mind messing with sound. In fact I spend more time on sound and making it "perfect" than video twice over. I prefer the editing part of the whole thing because that's where you can really let some creativity shine through. Good camera work is always great, but a good editor will make even the bad camera shot worthwhile. I can't really gently caress with cameras as much anymore because of my legs, so it'll be nice to just let someone else do it.

I got into editing by actually recording a video game called Skate, and I'd make little skate videos out of it and post them online for people to see. I did this before my MOS and it's what drove me to get the MOS that I have now. I made a little name for myself with PAO on JBLM because I always liked to add music or play with non-narratives or do some fun fast paced editing stuff. It's cool and makes poo poo more entertaining to watch. IMO. Like, I listen to music and will typically envision a music video I'd make for it or if I'd use it for a scene.

I have some gear already that's pretty good, so I think I'm set there for right now. I don't know about upbeat as I'm really kind of a neutral mood type person but available and motivated aren't a problem. If I get involved in a project and believe in it, I throw everything I have into it. My wife has already told me that if I end up getting well known that I need to land her an acting gig.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm hoping college will hone the skills I've acquired already, and help me network a bit. Good thing is San Diego apparently has video editors in high demand right now.

iyaayas01 posted:

hey Unfunny Poster, if you're seriously looking at USAF PAO....don't. My wife is 12 years prior enlisted PA. I could write a dissertation on why you don't want to go that route, but here's the cliff notes:

- you will do absolutely nothing that you have said you want to do. USAF PAO's don't do any of the actual hands on stuff, they just supervise enlisted who do the actual work as far as photography, shooting video, writing, etc. PAOs spend all of their time getting inane taskers from senior leadership at their wing and being blamed for stupid poo poo that the same senior leadership does (also blamed for public reaction to something, like PAOs are somehow these puppet masters who can control public opinion.)

- career field is woefully undermanned (which is saying something given the entire USAF officer corps is woefully undermanned). Ops tempo is high, everyone is filling a billet at least one billet up (Lts are in Capt slots, Capts are filling Major billets, and so on). As a brand new Lt you'll likely be running a wing PA shop. In this position you will have absolutely no power, your WG/CC will ignore everything you say, and whatever stupid bullshit happens because the WG/CC went off half-cocked after ignoring everything you said will be your fault (and you will hear about it immediately because you'll be working directly for the WG/CC).
-- as one data point on the manning situation, I know of a wing where the last two PAOs have gotten out after the assignment. First one because her career field told her to gently caress off when she asked for a join spouse assignment to actually be in the same state as her husband, second one because she's just fed up (also the join spouse thing would have been a factor except for the fact that she already got divorced in part due to geographical separation.)

- chances of going on a bullshit Army JET deployment are high, chances of going on a bullshit USAF deployment are high

My wife just laughed in their face when they asked her informally if she'd consider cross-training into PAO (and then laughed again when her current career field manager said there was no way in hell they'd release her anyway)

e: to be clear, I'm not necessarily saying don't join. There's plenty of jobs out there that don't suck (or at least suck considerably less), on both the E and O sides, and some of them might interest you. I'm just saying based on what you have said, USAF PAO seems not what you should be looking at.
True on all accounts. Also Public Affairs is, by branch, what of the most deployed MOS' in DoD. And like I said, Army side you won't be doing PA work until you're a CPT and attend training. You'll have to pick something else first which will more than likely be Infantry, Artillery, or whatever. Not to dissuade you, just keep that in mind, and for the love of god whatever you do MAKE SURE YOU GET THAT poo poo ON PAPER. I can't tell you how many people I know that got hosed by recruiters and MEPS by saying "Oh yeah, we'll do X for you. No problem! Sign here." and not having proper documentation saying that they were going to do X.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Never join the military. Trust me.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE
You guys might enjoy this bizarre FB group I stumbled upon: https://www.facebook.com/UntiedStatusMarinCrops/

The stuff in this group could have been written by anyone of you crazy people. Thank you for entertaining this bored Swede.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soulex posted:

I never heard back so gently caress it.

When I graduated I didn't hear back during the 6 months of job hunting for media stuff in my area despite having connections within those company's & departments. It's pretty much standard from my experience, though it could vary I guess depending on experience etc. It's also part of why I'm pretty jaded and fed up with the industry as a whole.

Edit - I don't know many people who work in sports save for one former producer at my old company that works at FoxSports 1. ESPN's pretty much swamped constantly by people trying to get in. FS1 is pretty much in LA. Local sports teams hire out video producers for their work but again if its like an NFL team it'll be swamped with people trying to get in. If you don't mind soccer, the MLS teams have begun to spring up around various areas and can at least be a good stepping stone.

The site http://www.teamworkonline.com/ is a job posting site a lot of teams & leagues use (NFL, MLS, UFC/Bellator, etc.)

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 23, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

moosepoop posted:

You guys might enjoy this bizarre FB group I stumbled upon: https://www.facebook.com/UntiedStatusMarinCrops/

How about the idiot that didn't just wear a condom?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

moosepoop posted:

The stuff in this group could have been written by anyone of you crazy people. Thank you for entertaining this bored Swede.

I actually stumbled across that a couple days ago and started following it just because the name and profile pic made me laugh.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

When I graduated I didn't hear back during the 6 months of job hunting for media stuff in my area despite having connections within those company's & departments. It's pretty much standard from my experience, though it could vary I guess depending on experience etc. It's also part of why I'm pretty jaded and fed up with the industry as a whole.

Edit - I don't know many people who work in sports save for one former producer at my old company that works at FoxSports 1. ESPN's pretty much swamped constantly by people trying to get in. FS1 is pretty much in LA. Local sports teams hire out video producers for their work but again if its like an NFL team it'll be swamped with people trying to get in. If you don't mind soccer, the MLS teams have begun to spring up around various areas and can at least be a good stepping stone.

The site http://www.teamworkonline.com/ is a job posting site a lot of teams & leagues use (NFL, MLS, UFC/Bellator, etc.)

Nice! This is cool actually. Yeah I'd be avoiding the main "American" sports and work for a soccer league if any. I'm not sure where a business will take me but I'm open to a lot to see what I like and don't like.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

soulex post the skate vids

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Dw9n3Rv0c

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soulex posted:

Nice! This is cool actually. Yeah I'd be avoiding the main "American" sports and work for a soccer league if any. I'm not sure where a business will take me but I'm open to a lot to see what I like and don't like.

Yeah the soccer stuff is pretty cool from what I've heard. I went to a NY Redbulls game a while back and the stadiums are deceptively bigger than you'd think and fill out pretty nicely. There's also the benefit of, possibly, working on days where you watch the womens games and those can tend to be better than the mens games. At least that's how it was when I worked games in college for my school's soccer teams.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Unfunny Poster posted:

watch the womens games and those can tend to be better than the mens games. At least that's how it was when I worked games in college for my school's soccer teams.

http://i.imgur.com/ifkUcQt.mp4

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Art in motion.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I see nothing wrong with this. :colbert:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Unfunny Poster posted:

I see nothing wrong with this. :colbert:

If anything she found a way to make soccer entertaining. I'd say they should make her the face of the sport

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

soulex post the skate vids

Ok. The further back you go in the videos the more my lack of editing knowledge becomes apparent. Ignore some of the credits if you see them, they're boring.

I skate kinda realistically or whatever you'd call it. Not the Arcade style but how you'd see a Skate Video.

Skate 3
Insomniac- first DLC I think for Skate 3. Edited in Iraq. Hardest trick was that goddamn trash can Ollie because the physics were so weird that I kept falling off or whatever.

https://youtu.be/3YoZuf7HYsM

Prospectors - Goon collab I edited. I took opener because I made it and these guys were joining the crew I was on. It's long though. 12 minutes.

https://youtu.be/FsAVBMtP9Xo

Angrycake- had a formatting error which is a shame. I loved making this video because the trick list I had was nice and challenging.

https://youtu.be/B_41mt4WPPY

Back from the dead-In my Skate community, there were rumors that I had died in Iraq because I just dropped of the planet. I didn't post or make vids. I came back and posted this. Made just with the demo

https://youtu.be/BWBLOqPLsao

Skate 2

Lamentation - Only video I made for this one though I filmed for another. Didn't like this game as much as the first.

https://youtu.be/tQvqQD9TDXk

Skate 1

Lost Tapes - A mix of footage that went unused for certain video projects that either fell through or didn't make the cut.

https://youtu.be/tiMXIMVLOQ4

Neoteric Designs series.

1-I quit the team I was on, Magik, to join a prominent Skate crew called Stay Down. Or tried at least. I completely changed my style and trick list to a more realistic one and ended up sticking with it.

https://youtu.be/zW4-ACMMK4w

2-attempt number 2 to get on Stay Down. Had a bit more fun in this one and actually hadn't intended to make another video in the series, it just kind of happened.

https://youtu.be/iZhS0V6Ulww

3-This was the video that finally got me on Stay Down. I accomplished my goal and was ecstatic that I was able to skate with people I looked up too.

https://youtu.be/CHUt12w20aQ

Back to School - First video as a free agent. This video got a lot of great responses. This was after I quit Magik and before Stay Down.

https://youtu.be/LI_sRIVS0Qk

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The lack of facecam and commentary is really disturbing. You should fix that.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

You don't want to see my face

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Godholio posted:

Old timey tradition.

At first I thought this car had the raddest spoiler ever. Disappointed that it was just an awning.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

TheRagamuffin posted:

At first I thought this car had the raddest spoiler ever. Disappointed that it was just an awning.

In the not-so distant Mad Max dystopian future, rank will be indicated by spoiler size, height, and number of wing surfaces.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Soulex posted:

3-This was the video that finally got me on Stay Down. I accomplished my goal and was ecstatic that I was able to skate with people I looked up too.

By "skate with" do you mean skate with in video games? Is Stay Down a skate team in the video game world?

I feel so old and confused.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

chemosh6969 posted:

By "skate with" do you mean skate with in video games? Is Stay Down a skate team in the video game world?

I feel so old and confused.

Yes and no.

So the Skate community I was a part of was Skate.cc. We had a few forums teams on there that let us skate with friends and make videos. That's also why you'll see Clip Of The Week (COTW) on my YouTube. It was a contest.

Stay Down was one of the teams that was first to form and focused on realistic skating as opposed to doing backflips down stairs and other Tony Hawk esque tricks. They were really big into "switch" tricks which was a game glitch made feature. Essentially you would do a 180 in some way and before your character reset, you would lock in the crouch to initiate the next trick. The difference was, since the character hadn't reset yet, you'll be doing all of this backwards. So instead of holding down and flicking up to Ollie, You will hold up and flick down. This made it harder naturally and not everyone could do it well.

Back to Stay Down. So Stay Down was the prominent or one of the prominent teams in Skate. Skate allowed you to invite up to 4 or 6 players to come together and free skate. We would bullshit, film tricks at a spot or look for places to hit. The team I eventually got on was Magik. A low tier team that people didn't recognize and we're kind of ignores when it came to e-cred or whatever.

The purpose of the team was to make videos with friends. Some if not all of the time, it was done in single player because we had more control of the environment.

The goons I skated "with" were never actually with me. They handed me their footage online and I edited it for them. I also filmed another part for a solo vid but sadly my xbox red ringed and the footage was lost as the new Xbox couldn't read the footage for some reason. Which sucks because I was using glitched parts of the map that developers started but never finished.

Skate and its sequels are done sadly. It was a fantastic game and there has been nothing like it since.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
When you said "yes and no" I expected you to say "I skated in game but we also had real life skating meet-ups" or something. Instead it was: yes you skated in a video game, as opposed to skating in real life; no, you didn't skate with others in a video game, it was all solo.

What a cool bunch you all must have been.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Godholio posted:

I'll have you know I just read through an AFPC briefing and 11x manning is at 95%. 13B primary duty manning is at 97% and 13B staff manning is at 77% for an overall 13B manning level of 98%. :smug.

hahahaha what

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Soulex posted:

Yes and no.

So the Skate community I was a part of was Skate.cc. We had a few forums teams on there that let us skate with friends and make videos. That's also why you'll see Clip Of The Week (COTW) on my YouTube. It was a contest.

Stay Down was one of the teams that was first to form and focused on realistic skating as opposed to doing backflips down stairs and other Tony Hawk esque tricks. They were really big into "switch" tricks which was a game glitch made feature. Essentially you would do a 180 in some way and before your character reset, you would lock in the crouch to initiate the next trick. The difference was, since the character hadn't reset yet, you'll be doing all of this backwards. So instead of holding down and flicking up to Ollie, You will hold up and flick down. This made it harder naturally and not everyone could do it well.

Back to Stay Down. So Stay Down was the prominent or one of the prominent teams in Skate. Skate allowed you to invite up to 4 or 6 players to come together and free skate. We would bullshit, film tricks at a spot or look for places to hit. The team I eventually got on was Magik. A low tier team that people didn't recognize and we're kind of ignores when it came to e-cred or whatever.

The purpose of the team was to make videos with friends. Some if not all of the time, it was done in single player because we had more control of the environment.

The goons I skated "with" were never actually with me. They handed me their footage online and I edited it for them. I also filmed another part for a solo vid but sadly my xbox red ringed and the footage was lost as the new Xbox couldn't read the footage for some reason. Which sucks because I was using glitched parts of the map that developers started but never finished.

Skate and its sequels are done sadly. It was a fantastic game and there has been nothing like it since.

I remember getting Skate 2 on GameFly back when it was a recent game. I wish I had kept it instead of giving it up after a few months, because it was fun as hell. I've recently gotten urges to play it and unfortunately I lost the TV remote so the only way to change inputs until I find it again is to switch the cables at the back, and I'm too lazy to do it for the PS3 yet.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Dick Burglar posted:

When you said "yes and no" I expected you to say "I skated in game but we also had real life skating meet-ups" or something. Instead it was: yes you skated in a video game, as opposed to skating in real life; no, you didn't skate with others in a video game, it was all solo.

What a cool bunch you all must have been.

Your sarcasm is noted but ignored.

I used to skate in real life until I ended up with a 5 compound fracture in my left forearm doing a 5-0. My buddy had just waxed it and he used too much so when I went about halfway down the board slipped, I fell backwards and my arm taco'd. 3 nights in the hospital, 2 plates, and 16 screws all in a week long lull period where I was uninsured moving from my moms to my dads. So it ended up costing around 50k. I tried to skate after that and my brain is just like "NO!" For grinds and airs anyway. I can still do kick tricks like Nollie, Kickflip, Heelflip etc but on the ground cruising or doing stalls or whatever on coping. Or used to be able to before my legs got hosed, haven't tried in a few years.

And it's not really any different than making a montage for CoD or whatever and having a crew you run with. It's not like you do it in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
wait'll you get a load of mY ARMA squad in action I think we could take on an SF group irl

like playing the game irl on the computer