Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

A Stupid Baby posted:

I like how their take from this is "we need to scrap the avoid player feature" and not "man people REALLY don't like playing against a good Widowmaker". If I had to play against someone that good I'd probably just quit the game.

And because they're removing it you won't have to because they'll keep playing on their own level instead of being matchmaked to yours.

Widowmaker's an easy target but let's face it, people don't like playing against top-level anything or even mid-level anything if they perceive them to be someone they can't beat. I can guarantee you people abused the feature to avoid good players in every level of play, the Widowmaker guy is just the most extreme example (that they clearly shouldn't have used considering how many responses like yours there has been).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Verranicus posted:

On the other hand, Blizzard devs are stupid.

I bet they couldn't even design a good first person team based shooter

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Kanfy posted:

And because they're removing it you won't have to because they'll keep playing on their own level instead of being matchmaked to yours.

Widowmaker's an easy target but let's face it, people don't like playing against top-level anything or even mid-level anything if they perceive them to be someone they can't beat. I can guarantee you people abused the feature to avoid good players in every level of play, the Widowmaker guy is just the most extreme example (that they clearly shouldn't have used considering how many responses like yours there has been).

I put everyone who played bastion or widow maker on avoid

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I put everyone who played bastion or widow maker on avoid

Your matchmaking time must be hours long.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

keyframe posted:

Your matchmaking time must be hours long.

Max I've ever waited is 2 minutes

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Kanfy posted:

As people have been saying, the reason people were reacting that way against good widowmakers was because there's no reasonable counter-strategy to a really good widowmaker. You can't spam them out or flank like them like a sniper in TF2. Even if you do flank a widowmaker she has 200 health, an assault rifle, and a grappling hook. You are unlikely to succeed in killing them if they are any good.

You are up against the world's best widowmaker, what do you do? There is no better widowmaker. The game is just going to suck. A lot. Rein isn't always a good team option (like with KOTH) and committing 2 players to winston to 'counter' a widowmaker isn't really viable.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Sanctum posted:

As people have been saying, the reason people were reacting that way against good widowmakers was because there's no reasonable counter-strategy to a really good widowmaker. You can't spam them out or flank like them like a sniper in TF2. Even if you do flank a widowmaker she has 200 health, an assault rifle, and a grappling hook. You are unlikely to succeed in killing them if they are any good.

You are up against the world's best widowmaker, what do you do? There is no better widowmaker. The game is just going to suck. A lot. Rein isn't always a good team option (like with KOTH) and committing 2 players to winston to 'counter' a widowmaker isn't really viable.

I'm not really interested in debating about Widowmaker, I'm just saying that the removal of Avoid Player is not something that was done because of some guy being really good with her especially since completely game-dominating Widowmakers like that is something 98% of the playerbase is never going to have to deal with regardless. Arguments about her balance is a separate matter from this stuff, it was just an extreme example they used and people latched on to it.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I am trying to learn how to play, I guess i have done the usual n00b thing and usually play Tolbjorn and Bastion, Still i have recorded some of my attempts to play agains bots, can anyone tell me what am i doing wrong and how can i improve to not die 100% of the time in quickmatch?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLt1GXetOipDx5eT_0dPFBdraugS0gYY8d

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

TheresaJayne posted:

I am trying to learn how to play, I guess i have done the usual n00b thing and usually play Tolbjorn and Bastion, Still i have recorded some of my attempts to play agains bots, can anyone tell me what am i doing wrong and how can i improve to not die 100% of the time in quickmatch?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLt1GXetOipDx5eT_0dPFBdraugS0gYY8d

Looks like you stop to shoot pretty often. It's too easy to nail a stationary target in the head, so always move around. Practice by playing someone that gets into dogfights all the time.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Electric Hobo posted:

Looks like you stop to shoot pretty often. It's too easy to nail a stationary target in the head, so always move around. Practice by playing someone that gets into dogfights all the time.

I am getting on a bit, but i have been playing a lot of tracer since watching this helpful guide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIwfsfFo7lE

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

TheresaJayne posted:

I am getting on a bit, but i have been playing a lot of tracer since watching this helpful guide

It's a good guide, although I would add that you can probably afford to be a bit more aggressive than that since he's playing super careful most of the time and attacking from pretty far away. Tracer can be the top damage dealer in a team with relative ease by constantly doing hit-and-run attacks from close range, as long as you don't make yourself an easy target to close-range bursters.

E: Also don't run right past Torbjörn's armor drops like he does, those things are godlike for Tracer and you should seek them out whenever possible.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 23, 2016

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So I just upgraded to Windows 10, and BNet logged me in to my European realm instead of the US one. I accepted a friend invitation from a US-based person, and now it's only there in my European friends list. How do I go about "moving" it to the US one?

Or did the person specifically send the invitation from a European realm?

God this system is annoying.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 23, 2016

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

gently caress... first game I've played since they removed all my avoids :/

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

ufarn posted:

So I just upgraded to Windows 10, and BNet logged me in to my European realm instead of the US one. I accepted a friend invitation from a US-based person, and now it's only there in my European friends list. How do I go about "moving" it to the US one?

Or did the person specifically send the invitation from a European realm?

God this system is annoying.

Exit Overwatch and use the region drop-down menu above the Play button to switch to US. If it was an Overwatch friend request and not a bnet one, they will have to resend it as each region has a separate friends list..

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Someone told me bg yesterday but I forgot to take a screenshot

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have a 29 ms ping bit the orange connection problem icon shows up frequently, what's up with that?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

The Walrus posted:

I have a 29 ms ping bit the orange connection problem icon shows up frequently, what's up with that?

Same thing happens to me and I don't understand it.

I'm writing it off as lovely net code or whatever makes my Roadhog hooks bounce off people's faces and the same thing that allows me to die to gun fire seconds after going around a corner and breaking LOS. It's a really fun game but that kind of poo poo is starting to grate on my nerves.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The Walrus posted:

This one?

That's packet loss, which can happen even if you have a low ping.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

This one?

That's packet loss, which can happen even if you have a low ping.

it's always both that and the ping spike one displayed at the same time. haven't noticed any issues, not even much of the poo poo people complain about (I've been shot from behind a wall maybe 3 times in 30+ hrs) so I guess I won't worry about it.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Kanfy posted:

I'm not really interested in debating about Widowmaker, I'm just saying that the removal of Avoid Player is not something that was done because of some guy being really good with her especially since completely game-dominating Widowmakers like that is something 98% of the playerbase is never going to have to deal with regardless.

There needs to be a Blizzard poll seeing how favourable she is within the community. I always groan when someone slam-picks her because I know that's just one less person working the objective.

Like, how many times do you -in the middle of a fight- get saved by a Widowmaker taking out your target, I never ever notice it. However, I do know that Widowmakers are huge force-multipliers because they deal a poo poo-ton of damage in a small window of time with relatively little skill.

Also, I like Lady Naga's posts about stalkers/creepers because it reminds me how loving sane and well-adjusted I am compared to the average male player.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thor-Stryker posted:

There needs to be a Blizzard poll seeing how favourable she is within the community. I always groan when someone slam-picks her because I know that's just one less person working the objective.

Like, how many times do you -in the middle of a fight- get saved by a Widowmaker taking out your target, I never ever notice it. However, I do know that Widowmakers are huge force-multipliers because they deal a poo poo-ton of damage in a small window of time with relatively little skill.

Also, I like Lady Naga's posts about stalkers/creepers because it reminds me how loving sane and well-adjusted I am compared to the average male player.

I've been saved by a sniper a few times, usually when Reinhardt pins my hero and is about to go in for the kill, or after a Roadhog hook. There's also the occasional "JUSTI- AAAGH" that everyone has seen. That's rare, though, so don't take it as a rebuttal. More often than not they're just posted out in the open firing uncharged shots at Reinhardt's shield.

Also :agreed: on the Lady Naga posting. Trying to normalize and excuse abuse because it's on ~the internet~ isn't really all that great a choice so the more it gets waved around and called out for what it is the better. Also because holy gently caress I know I'm a jackass but I'm not out there yelling slurs at people because I lost a video game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I can't recall being saved by a Widowmaker (although it's probably happened once or twice) but playing as Widowmaker I've shot down an awful lot of Junkrat tires.

They're easier to hit than players. :haw:

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
does this game have a backstory

i know that the characters all have biographies and there's stuff about some robot war and Overwatch as an organisation but is there any sort of premise for what's happening in the game, why are all these people forming groups and fighting each other

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

RottenK posted:

i know that the characters all have biographies and there's stuff about some robot war and Overwatch as an organisation but is there any sort of premise for what's happening in the game, why are all these people forming groups and fighting each other

It's got quite a bit of backstory but the actual gameplay isn't part of the canon. someone posted a link somewhere to a reddit thread or something that had a bunch of lore links but i've lost it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The backstory has been dredged up from the remains of project titan, it's there but has no relevance to the game at all. The heroes have varying allegiances according to the backstory but it has no bearing and is completely irrelevant, you will have tracers, reapers and widowmakers on the same team even though they are diametrically opposed in the story.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

RottenK posted:

You could think about it like a comic book. There are different sides and heroes and villains, but from issue to issue they're always grouping up in different configurations and somebody is betraying somebody and somebody else is fighting their own evil clone and etc etc, but really it's like the "story" of Street Fighter where it doesn't matter that Chun-Li and Guile are friends, sometimes they're still going to punch each other in the face.

My only "concern", and it's barely a concern, with the supposed story and background is that I wish they had made it a little more open to magical and non-human characters that aren't robots.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 23, 2016

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I'm glad they did away with avoid player.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
The reason Reaper can team up with 76 in launching the satellite that Winston was going to use to recall Overwatch agents is that Tracer hosed up time. There, all those rounds explained by Tracer loving everything up.

Cometchaser
Oct 20, 2008

Being dead's not so bad
If tracer picks up an armor pack from Torb, takes damage, and then rewinds, does it heal the armor damage back?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cometchaser posted:

If tracer picks up an armor pack from Torb, takes damage, and then rewinds, does it heal the armor damage back?

I think the answer is no, she only regenerates regular health.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Cometchaser posted:

No. Tracer's recall will never leave her with less health than she started with, it will always either keep the health you've got, or give you more health if you had more 3 seconds ago.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've noticed a trend of people slam-picking Tracert a lot in the past few days. I like playing tanks and healers, but sometimes I just want to go fast. :(

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

Yeah it's not hard to look at and read it easily when you're bouncing around spawn punching basketballs. It's much harder to split your attention to it when you're fighting a Tracer and a D.va while trying to stay out of the line of fire of a Widow and making sure the Mercy who's healing you isn't taking hits from a flanker. You need to be able to read it in a fraction of a second without actually looking at it.

Ironically, the UI design makes it way easier to see enemy HP (bright red bar for HP contrasting with empty space for no HP, near where you're aiming) than your own. That's a complete reversal from almost any other game in this genre, where they usually don't show you enemy HP at all but make your own very obvious.

If you're actively getting shot at by two people, your current HP isn't nearly as important as dealing with those two people - you should have a general sense for your situation, and can deal with the exact numbers later when you're not in immediate trouble. As for Mercy, her HP is displayed pretty prominently in their heal target's screen.

Vax posted:

On the other hand, you can no longer try to dodge people you suspect of using a surelock/triggerbot.

If they're beating you consistently the matchmaker will stop matching you against them pretty quickly.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

If they're beating you consistently the matchmaker will stop matching you against them pretty quickly.

This doesn't feel like the case, there's a guy that's part of a 3-5man pre-made that I have to go up against once or twice every night. Every single time his team stomps my pubbies while he gets POTG because he's a seriously good player.

I like to think he's my dedicated form of punishment when I reach that 52-54% Win to Loss rating. And his name is Shompy which rhymes with Stompy because that what he does to me 'erry day.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
For one beautiful day, I was the No. 6 Symmetra on PSN on Masteroverwatch.

Last night I played her 3 times, went 2-1 in games I found to be completely normal, and dropped 8,000 places.

I think ... stats may not be very important.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

A Stupid Baby posted:

I like how their take from this is "we need to scrap the avoid player feature" and not "man people REALLY don't like playing against a good Widowmaker". If I had to play against someone that good I'd probably just quit the game.

It's kind of funny how people keep posting snark about how they should have nerfed Widowmaker instead, considering they, uh, did.

If you were avoiding players over a temporary balance issue in a game that's continuing to see patches, you're a baby!!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

But iff I can't avoid players who are better than me, then how can I maintain the self-delusion that I'm one of the few dozen people who are good at this game, instead of the 99.99% who are terrible?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Huxley posted:

For one beautiful day, I was the No. 6 Symmetra on PSN on Masteroverwatch.

Last night I played her 3 times, went 2-1 in games I found to be completely normal, and dropped 8,000 places.

I think ... stats may not be very important.

should have retired king of teleporter mountain

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Slime posted:

The reason Reaper can team up with 76 in launching the satellite that Winston was going to use to recall Overwatch agents is that Tracer hosed up time. There, all those rounds explained by Tracer loving everything up.

If you ever play as Zenyatta while attacking King's Row you should feel like a massive jerk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

If you're actively getting shot at by two people, your current HP isn't nearly as important as dealing with those two people - you should have a general sense for your situation, and can deal with the exact numbers later when you're not in immediate trouble. As for Mercy, her HP is displayed pretty prominently in their heal target's screen.

Knowing if you're a few shots from death or still full is pretty important when dealing with targets in front of you. Put a sticky note over your HP bar and let me know how it works out. You'll probably find yourself either overextending and dying way too much or playing far too conservatively and not pushing when you should have gone for the kill.

And yes, Mercy's HP is displayed in a place where you can actually watch it in your periphery while focusing on what's under your crosshair. That's nice! I wish my own was displayed somewhere around there, instead of 12 inches away. :sigh: