Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Blue has been getting nothing but garbage like Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time for ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
It's me, the guy who is here to say that green has been an integral part of every single top deck from Innistrad/RTR through now with the exception of weird-rear end RTR/Theros standard full of nothing but devotion decks + the best deck that went away after that rotation.

Seriously, Jund, N/A, Abzan, 4c Rally (OGW), GW Tokens. These decks do/did tend to play somewhat differently, but they're all midrange decks in one way or another (with some KTK block variants coming closest to control but never quite making it there.)

It turns out that when you give green great card advantage in addition to good/great creatures, you just pair it with a removal color, whether that's white, black, or both, and you've got a deck. It doesn't help that white is really drat strong in SOI, which, uh, maybe should have been thought about when development stuck every keyword on avacyn and then gave her a wrath effect too

If I had to give suggestions, it's that R&D is focusing on the wrong thing to take away from green: you should be experimenting with less value on creatures, and definitely never giving green better card selection/draw than blue ever again, not trying to pretend that 1 mana difference in inevitably long games via elvish mystic makes up for things like 4/5 vigilance for 2

Black has been fine except for thoughtseize and pack rat.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I'll buy that, but blue's card draw is less powerful compared to what? As a long time player, it seems like between RTR and now been extremely powerful blue card draw.

There hasn't been a truly good or efficient draw spell printed in blue since Jace Vryn's Prodigy was released. I think R&D have been trying to be super careful about him breaking standards. Notice all the good blue spells he was casting from the graveyard were printed before he was.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

This is exactly why I ignore people's comments about new cards and bulk buy dumb poo poo like Goblin Rabblemaster when everyone keeps telling me it's a bulk rare and I shouldn't be wasting my nickels.

That was a good release weekend.
I really don't understand how people didn't see rabblemaster was a great card. It's not only good as is, it was printed into a standard with a very obvious monored shell for it to go in.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Algid posted:

I really don't understand how people didn't see rabblemaster was a great card. It's not only good as is, it was printed into a standard with a very obvious monored shell for it to go in.

i still put him in as a one of in jund all the time for FNM. Honestly, he always seems great when I get him out on turn 3 even in modern. He honestly should be a card people play.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Every color is the worst, every standard is the worst, every format is the worst, I don't know why we even play this wretched game, it's clearly terrible.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

i still put him in as a one of in jund all the time for FNM. Honestly, he always seems great when I get him out on turn 3 even in modern. He honestly should be a card people play.

I put him in legacy Jund once as a 1-of. Almost single-handedly won the game against Lands when I cast it on turn 2, then I lost.

Entropic posted:

Every color is the worst, every standard is the worst, every format is the worst, I don't know why we even play this wretched game, it's clearly terrible.

This but unironically.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sickening posted:

I had him in my Modern Goblins list as a pseudo-Piledriver, then actual Piledriver became Modern-legal and I haven't looked back. I held on to my copies though, someday I'll try it again.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Entropic posted:

People really shouldn't play magic

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I had him in my Modern Goblins list as a pseudo-Piledriver, then actual Piledriver became Modern-legal and I haven't looked back. I held on to my copies though, someday I'll try it again.

It was more of a comedy option than a real card but its surprising how often he was so good. It seems that a turn 2 bob/goyf would bait a removal and then he would just take over a game. Yes it kind of sucks when your turn 3 play eats a bolt without doing anything, but there are a lot of creatures that do that these days.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Remember when we all made jokes about $50+ creatures dying to 50-cent removal spells? Good times.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

What's the viability of a deck that pitches Newmrakul into the graveyard, puts it back on top of your library with Not Forgotten, then draws into it with Sorin's +1? Too much setup?

Also, is reanimating her with Ever After too costly to be any good? It seems like being able to exist in a graveyard could be a mixed blessing over the original.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

NofrikinfuN posted:

What's the viability of a deck that pitches Newmrakul into the graveyard, puts it back on top of your library with Not Forgotten, then draws into it with Sorin's +1? Too much setup?

Also, is reanimating her with Ever After too costly to be any good? It seems like being able to exist in a graveyard could be a mixed blessing over the original.

Get her back with Dragonlord Kolaghan and swing for 19 seems alright. I know SaffronOlive had a Jund Ever After deck with Kolaghan + Atarka as the reanimation targets, and it was pretty sweet when it went off.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

Do you get to play Green in this deck? Preferably White too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Does virtually every half critical discussion in this thread have to end on some variation of "you're all whiners"?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rinkles posted:

Does virtually every half critical discussion in this thread have to end on some variation of "you're all whiners"?

Stop whining.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I thought blue was going to be a thing when those two guys made it to top 8 with Esper dragons and Esper walkers control decks.

Blue and black are also the weakest colors in SOI draft.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Blue has been getting nothing but garbage like Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time for ages.

Yeah but blue has worse draw than green or black right now.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Jesus

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Dev tumblr ala Rosewater's blogatog, albeit only updated weekly. Ian Duke wrote the intro

quote:

WELCOME TO THE MAGIC DEVELOPER’S BLOG!

Hello everyone, welcome to the Magic R&D Developer’s Blog. I’m Ian Duke, a senior game designer on Magic R&D’s development team. The development team is responsible for the second half of Magic card and set design, with an extra focus on game balance and competitive play.

This blog is a new feature we’re starting up to better engage with the community on topics that concern game balance, tournament play and designing Magic sets. Each week we’ll be answering a few questions from among your submissions. Since our goal is to give you some real depth and insight on each question we pick, we won’t be able to answer everything. But we do hope to hit a good cross section of topics that are being discussed within the community. We also hope to get some standalone features posted, like our thoughts on how things turned out with recent sets and where things differed from our expectations.

A couple quick tips on having your question selected: First, be respectful. One of the best things about Magic is how passionate players can be about the game, but remember that Magic has a diverse fan base, and there are lots of folks out there who might have different opinions or appreciate different content than you do. Second, make sure to ask questions we can actually answer! We can’t comment on upcoming sets or products, so it’s much better to ask questions about cards or topics that are already out there in the real world.

Our intent is to incorporate a variety of answers, thoughts and features from all the members of our development team. We’re excited to have another way to interact with the community, and with a little bit more agility and back-and-forth than article series and interviews have given us so far. You can start submitting your questions now and we’ll aim to have our first round of answers posted later next week. We’re looking forward to hearing from you!

Ian

http://wizardsdeveloper.tumblr.com/

Answers start next week. I've always admired Wizards' culture of R&D transparency, this is another cool move.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Historically speaking, other than elves, green has struggled the least with dying to nameless inversion.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

rabidsquid posted:

Historically speaking, other than elves, green has struggled the least with dying to nameless inversion.

Blue has the ability to smack nameless inversion and wag its finger at the caster for trying.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Blue actually can't do anything about Nameless Inversion, because of Crucible of Worlds and Boseiju.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

rabidsquid posted:

Blue actually can't do anything about Nameless Inversion, because of Crucible of Worlds and Boseiju.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

That card isnt standard legal

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Problem???

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

rabidsquid posted:

That card isnt standard legal

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

that's even further off.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Holy gently caress.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mfcrocker posted:

Holy gently caress.

Oh, wow.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mfcrocker posted:

Holy gently caress.

Yeah, hoping for another pair of Exemplar nominations soon.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Wow, finally some decent FNM cards.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think we already knew the first two but whatever. FNM promos for July/August/September, in that order:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Elyv posted:

I think we already knew the first two but whatever. FNM promos for July/August/September, in that order:

loving yawn.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

GeneX posted:

It's me, the guy who is here to say that green has been an integral part of every single top deck from Innistrad/RTR through now with the exception of weird-rear end RTR/Theros standard full of nothing but devotion decks + the best deck that went away after that rotation.

Actually that was the last standard I played and Reanimator was pretty green and quite good. Before that it was Jund again as well!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Spatial contortion is an okay promo. I'm not sure anyone in any format wants to play with crumbling vestige, not even if they're trying to cast colourless spells after painlands rotate.

Flaying tendrils would be playable in a format where the aggro decks aren't build around dudes that easily get to 3 toughness. It's probably never going to see play before it rotates.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Those are two kick rear end promos, I hope they are given out at conferences because zero judges I know have ever gotten an Exemplar nomination.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Wow, finally some decent FNM cards.

The Mana Drain and Azusa are Exemplar promos.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Those are two kick rear end promos, I hope they are given out at conferences because zero judges I know have ever gotten an Exemplar nomination.

Really? How come? I don't know if my region is so far not the norm, but even I have managed to do something right and get a nomination.
As to conferences, they might be 'special' for them, but I don't know what the habit for that is, with the Exemplar program being new and all.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I have no concept of how the exemplar thing is supposed to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Goddammit, my joke got ruined by actual FNM cards getting posted.

Oh well, it probably wasn't that funny anyway.

Serperoth posted:

The Mana Drain and Azusa are Exemplar promos.

:thejoke:

• Locked thread