Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Actual peasants on the Isle or just the signpost screaming at you?
It's the rat island, so no villagers. Just the signpost / gate to the castle. I should make a video or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Macaluso posted:

I get why people would choose Triss but man the game does everything in its power to say that Yen and Geralt are perfect for each other. Like she doesn't give a poo poo and is rude to everyone and gives Geralt tons of a sass and the entire time you're given the impression that he likes that. It really felt like they had chemistry that him and Triss didn't. That being said, I've only played Witcher 3, didn't play the other two and didn't read the books.

That's kind of it. Geralt talks about the Witcher's code (that he made up) and staying neutral but he actually loves drama.

Yennefer is really, really powerful and acts horrible to cover up her insecurities. She also has no friends (except Geralt and Ciri. Maybe Triss. Maybe Margarita.) but that's partially her own fault. Geralt's probably the only person she really trusts I think.

From what I recall of the books Triss just wants to be part of Philippa's cool girls club. But Philippa is horrible and Triss is naive so that's a bad combination (and Triss is pretty spineless). She's been in love with Geralt since like day one.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Is there a mod that makes sure witcher senses highlight lootable containers from far away and for a long time? They sometimes do, but mostly don't, and I'm not sure why.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Pellisworth posted:

Basically if you pick the Triss romance you've probably never been in an actual long-term relationship. Triss is largely the typical RPG male power fantasy of the beautiful submissive and clingy lady. She really wants to be with Geralt and there's no real conflict between the two.

"She really wants to be with Geralt and there's no real conflict between the two" is also a totally accurate description of Yennifer. Yennifer's central role in the story makes her more interesting by default, but the actual romance itself is still basic male power fantasy. The most interesting thing you can do to Yennifer and Geralt's relationship in the game is choose Triss over her.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Varam posted:

"She really wants to be with Geralt and there's no real conflict between the two" is also a totally accurate description of Yennifer. Yennifer's central role in the story makes her more interesting by default, but the actual romance itself is still basic male power fantasy. The most interesting thing you can do to Yennifer and Geralt's relationship in the game is choose Triss over her.

I strongly disagree but I guess that's why we're all different peace friend

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ok, am I missing something here?. I just searched this ruined castle for Griffin diagrams, and now I have a quest marker directing me to search the same tower for Wolf school gear?

Edit - Ah. Never had a quest ask me to change regions so far. Thanks.

I took pity on Louis and it seems like it really helped him out.

Medallions are just mad twitchy in general.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 28, 2016

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
The marker is pointing at that travel point right in front of you, as it does for anything that requires a region change.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Well, color me surprised. Had to get properly dressed for the soirée and decided to try if the quest accepts that red Ornate Robe I got from the Von Everec estate. Not only did it accept it, but Anna Henrietta also had some unique dialogue just for wearing that outfit. Well done, CDPR.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Is there a way to end a potion's effect early? I used an enhanced Cat to explore a cellar, and ended up leaving it early, right into the afternoon sun. Ow, my freaking eyes.

Also (apropos but unrelated) the enhanced Cat trousers diagram is behind a false wall. Instead of hitting the secret passage brick to open it, you can just mash E to grab it straight out of the chest on the other side of the wall.

oddjobs
Dec 19, 2011
White Honey, though it neutralizes any and all potions/decoctions.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In the books I learned Geralt had a fellowship/ka-tet of friends who all got purged at the end. Outside of a returning character in B&W is there much reference to them?

It's a bit like if Mr Pink from Reservoir Dogs had a whole series starring just him after the first film.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jun 28, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In the books I learned Geralt had a fellowship/ka-tet of friends who all got purged at the end. Outside of a returning character in B&W is there much reference to them?

It's a bit like if Mr Pink from Reservoir Dogs had a whole series starring just him after the first film.
They're mostly a bunch of chumps he picks up in books 4-5 of the saga, so more like... if Superman had a series starring him that didn't include the Wonder-Twins.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Milva was cool, but yeah, mostly chumps plus Regis.

I want another expansion like B&W where Regis's role is played by Three Jackdaws.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

How do I see what effects I have on? I just killed some dudes and a positive effect I didn't recognize popped up for about 15 seconds. Like a shirt with "100%" on it.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

So I just did the quest in Velen on Fyke Isle where you get rid of the curse. I looked online at the end and apparently should have had a choice when it comes to helping the ghost or not, but I didn't have one. My only option was to help it or just leave. I ended up helping it even though I didn't want to because that was the only way I could figure out to finish the quest. What did I miss? I explored everything in the tower I could so I don't know why I didn't get the other option. I feel really bad for Graham. And that city she ruined.

Woah can you explain the stuff in your spoilers? I just sorta forgot about it all after that.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I ended up helping it even though I didn't want to because that was the only way I could figure out to finish the quest. What did I miss? I explored everything in the tower I could so I don't know why I didn't get the other option.
The alternative path only appears it seems unless you complete the "optional" objective of watching all the scenes with the specters with the lamp - did you watch all the scenes from beginning to end? I believe that was marked as optional during the quest to help you. It is usually a Good Idea in the Witcher 3 to take on a quest objective marked as "optional" - this game occasionally punishes players for trying to speed through the game and not take their time.

Marzzle posted:

Woah can you explain the stuff in your spoilers? I just sorta forgot about it all after that.
You are deceived by the spirit that's stuck in the tower if you take the softie route of fulfilling what she says are her wishes - she wants revenge and will wipe out a town if you willy nilly trust her words. I'm not sure if there's a bestiary entry that explains pestas during the quest to help you make the decision. If there is a mention, that'd be another way to reward players that read their bestiary like a Real Witcher

There's Gwent cards. If you don't see a reference in a quest or book in Witcher 3, they'll be a Gwent card. But I don't really see how one of them would be anything better than like a 2 strength card with a really puzzling quote reading "I knew a whorehouse was a better idea."

Jack of Hearts posted:

I have zero idea how her Gwent card is higher strength than Regis'. If she's 10 with abilities, Regis should be like a 0/18 convertible spy card when a unit is put into a discard pile.

I've always wondered if there's supposed to be a metaphor for Geralt's hanse all as parts of his personality given they all fit common archetypes when Sapkowski didn't do that as a habit.

necrobobsledder fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 28, 2016

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Well, color me surprised. Had to get properly dressed for the soirée and decided to try if the quest accepts that red Ornate Robe I got from the Von Everec estate. Not only did it accept it, but Anna Henrietta also had some unique dialogue just for wearing that outfit. Well done, CDPR.

Really? What does she say?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

All of his friends from the books are pretty much in the games except the ones that are dead.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jack of Hearts posted:

I want another expansion like B&W where Regis's role is played by Three Jackdaws.

The only other person in his party is cahir. A gently caress up but hardly a chump

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

chaosapiant posted:

All of his friends from the books are pretty much in the games except the ones that are dead.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

How far along % wise am I through the main story? Finished the baron stuff, have to go to Novigrad to see if Ciri is there. I've been doing a ton of side quests and contracts so I don't outlevel them and am only level 11. I hear people talking about being in the 40's and such so it feels like I'm only scraping the surface.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Larrymer posted:

How far along % wise am I through the main story? Finished the baron stuff, have to go to Novigrad to see if Ciri is there. I've been doing a ton of side quests and contracts so I don't outlevel them and am only level 11. I hear people talking about being in the 40's and such so it feels like I'm only scraping the surface.

You are indeed only scraping the surface. Maybe 20% of the way through the main game alone (counting sidequests too), to say nothing of the expansions.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Larrymer posted:

Main game clocks in at 100-120 hours. For the average player neither speeding through nor completing every possible thing.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Hey guys, what's going on? Oh, you're taking over the area because Geralt exterminated all the Drowners here? Ok, I'll... I'll just go now.

I think I mentioned I pulled an item right past that wall while it was closed.

Roach is majestic

What does a skull with no level mean for monsters? Does it mean it's just frozen in place while I loot its treasure?

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

The only other person in his party is cahir. A gently caress up but hardly a chump

Miles and Cahir are legitimately cool, but Angouleme sucks. Cahir does get a shout out by Geralt in B & W though.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I just did Lambert's quest in Novigrad, and I haven't done very much of the main quest there yet. I've heard his Gwent card is missable - have I missed my chance or is that an issue later on in the game?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I really hope someone finds a way to mod Roach into an actual roach. A giant cockroach with a saddle.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I'm level 11 and finally wrapping up side-quests that are below my level and dang, the shrieker contract kicked my butt when I tried it last night. I think I was lulled into a false sense of complacency by chopping the poo poo out of drowners, hags, rotfiends and wraiths lately, gotten used to side-stepping attacks and relentlessly mashing the fast attack option.

Are there any tips beyond what's in the bestiary entry? Guess I should get in a heavy attack or two then wait until a sign lets me stun it again.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Xander77 posted:

How do I see what effects I have on? I just killed some dudes and a positive effect I didn't recognize popped up for about 15 seconds. Like a shirt with "100%" on it.

I play on console, so it may be a bit different on PC, but for me, if I go to the character screen, it'll show me what bonuses I have. Like, I can highlight a sword to see what oil it has or what rune is attached, highlight a piece of armor to see the glyphs or any other benefits. It should also show you any potions or decoctions you have going as well.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Pellisworth posted:

Signs- I usually run with the Yrden abilities and Delusion for conversation, I'd recommend picking your favorite alternate sign modes for utility.
Swords- pick either the heavy or light attack lines, the alternate attack modes Whirl and Reave(?) are great
Alchemy- at minimum you want Acquired Tolerance so you can run a couple decoctions at once, I recommend the blade oil = poison and damage reduction. Bombs and other potion talents are also very cool.

Basically you're just looking for utility and options from your ability spec.

Thanks for this, what you describe is pretty close to what I did (light attack/Aard/blade oils/tolerance), and I'm having a lot of fun with it. It just never felt as super easy as a lot of posts here and elsewhere made it seem.

Mr E posted:

I just did Lambert's quest in Novigrad, and I haven't done very much of the main quest there yet. I've heard his Gwent card is missable - have I missed my chance or is that an issue later on in the game?

You'll have another chance to play him.

Book chat: I've heard to avoid fan translations. What am I getting if I buy them off Amazon for my Kindle?

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

poor life choice posted:

I'm level 11 and finally wrapping up side-quests that are below my level and dang, the shrieker contract kicked my butt when I tried it last night. I think I was lulled into a false sense of complacency by chopping the poo poo out of drowners, hags, rotfiends and wraiths lately, gotten used to side-stepping attacks and relentlessly mashing the fast attack option.

Are there any tips beyond what's in the bestiary entry? Guess I should get in a heavy attack or two then wait until a sign lets me stun it again.

Tis weak to fire, Arisen. (Igni and dancing star bombs if you got them, stuns the hell out of him.) Blasting him out o the air with either Aard or igni also works. I had to err on the caution side after getting bleed/poisoned to death a few times. So yeah, waiting until you got an sign to stun it with is a good way to go at it. Fire damage is pretty good if you let it tick a bit before slashing at him.

Does this game have console commands for qwent modification? My catapult was turned into a poor loving infantry in white orchard. I really do not want to replay the game just to get that back.

edit: founds the commands. Now I just need to know if doing this will make it so I can't get achievements filled out for that save file.

Broose fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 28, 2016

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

necrobobsledder posted:

You are deceived by the spirit that's stuck in the tower if you take the softie route of fulfilling what she says are her wishes - she wants revenge and will wipe out a town if you willy nilly trust her words. I'm not sure if there's a bestiary entry that explains pestas during the quest to help you make the decision. If there is a mention, that'd be another way to reward players that read their bestiary like a Real Witcher

On top of that though, the girl is really really obviously not being truthful with you. I'd be interested in seeing how many players actually fell for what she says vs the players that knew she was bullshitting and just wanted to see where that whole thing went.

Arglebargle III posted:

Main game clocks in at 100-120 hours. For the average player neither speeding through nor completing every possible thing.

It's funny how that seems like a lot, and in any other game that would end up being a ton of wasted filler and nonsense the game would feel like it never ends. This game though they did such a good job of making just about every sidequest and contract have a little story or have some impact on the main story that it rarely feels like the game wastes your time. I'm not a huge fan of open world games, I tend to stick to the main storylines and never do side stuff. CDPR did it right.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

SatansBestBuddy posted:

No, seriously, what is with the fedora skeleton? Is there some joke I'm missing? A super obscure reference? Why does he keep popping up in labs?

Michael Jackson maybe?

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Does the weather ever change in Toussiant? Quest related doesn't count.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

TescoBag posted:

yes but nowhere near as often to emphasize how idyllic it is

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

TescoBag posted:

There's occasional thunderstorms with rain, i've not seen as much variation as you get in Velen, certainly.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

sitchelin posted:

I really hope someone finds a way to mod Roach into an actual roach. A giant cockroach with a saddle.

Roach is a type of small fish. That's what the horse is named after. In the original Polish there isn't the confusion. "Guppy" or "Trout" might be a better translation.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

sitchelin posted:

Roche skin mod please. Like the MGS5 Ocelot skin -> dog mod.

Instead of whistling, Geralt just says whoreson and he shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Roche skin mod please. Like the MGS5 Ocelot skin -> dog mod.

Instead of whistling, Geralt just says whoreson and he shows up.
I'd install this mod.