Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Kanos posted:

This was poo poo design and one of the worst aspects of the old games and anything that mitigates it is a good thing. Using lovely militia, levies, and basic line infantry for the entire grand campaign because teching up and transporting troops around everywhere takes a million years and is annoying and frustrating. Big armies of high tier dudes and super units mashing into each other is way more fun in the late grand campaign.

Yes, the system in place is mitigating that. It's still rewarding players who actually produce sensible supply lines though as it takes those players half the time to recruit new units while some guy who wants his giants a million turns away from the front takes more. It doesn't make a ton of sense to me to make a super rewarding global recruitment pool. If it's faster to just walk back to your recruitment provinces, you should, but if you don't want to walk it back you should be penalized.

That aside, I actually think all guard stacks were pretty stupid as well. It makes more sense for me for armies that get eroded to consist of worse troops whereas players that could keep all their units alive could continue onward without penalty, or players that knew how to properly arrange supply routes for new troops to constantly stream along to reinforce your armies should be rewarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Panfilo posted:

Vampire counts are my favorite punching bags because their local terrain works so hilariously against them unless they took a lot of flyers . As Dwarves/Empire you can spam ranged and artillery and force the bulk of their army to start crumbling before they even reach your lines .

I've only been able to use them to some level of success in a scenario when my swordsmen are already beating the other melee soldiers. One time a group of arrer boys just outshot my grenade launchers without any question of morale. They should either do more morale breaking or more damage since they're essentially useless. Especially with the costs.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Help i have a problem, i cannot stop making mods!

This is going to be considered OP by some of you but gently caress it, vanilla mechanics as Chaos are just painful:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198045062335/home

Its a buff to the encampment stance chaos uses. 20% Replenishment and the minimum movement required has been set to 0% so you can now go into encampment stance even when you've fully moved. This does NOT include when you've commited to Forced March so you cannot go Force March->Move->Encamp.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Reik posted:

I don't get why slayers are so much upkeep. I mean, they don't have any armor to upkeep, and it's not like you have to pay them, they have to be slayers since they took the oath. They fit more as cheaper lower tier units IMO.

If nothing else they should be available early to round out the "traditional" dwarf units. The upkeep is a weird duck, Slayers and Rangers aren't really recruited in the first place. They both just sorta show up when needed or are essentially hangers-on with the army.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Gejnor posted:

Its a buff to the encampment stance chaos uses. 20% Replenishment and the minimum movement required has been set to 0%

Couldn't you just give default stance 20% replenishment and achieve the same effect?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wafflecopper posted:

Couldn't you just give default stance 20% replenishment and achieve the same effect?

Hmm, i think that'd just mean every single race in the game gets 20% replenishment though, at all times.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Oh right I assumed they'd be race specific

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I've only been able to use them to some level of success in a scenario when my swordsmen are already beating the other melee soldiers. One time a group of arrer boys just outshot my grenade launchers without any question of morale. They should either do more morale breaking or more damage since they're essentially useless. Especially with the costs.

Grenade launcher outriders? I think they are meant to disrupt enemy charges. But in general ranged cavalry dies to ranged guys on foot due to lack of shields, shorter range, and smaller unit size.

I just put swordsmen and hand gunners/crossbowmen in a checker board formation. I use my cannons to target their vargheists ; usually you can dent their morale enough the AI will pull them back to prevent them from crumbling. Bats die pretty fast to ranged also. Meanwhile mortars/rockets hitting the main body of their forces, hopefully bogged down in water.

A Light wizard is REALLY good here because of the net spell. Having a blob of units frozen in place getting wrecked by artillery speeds things up for you.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I am slowly coming to the conclusion that Schwartzhaven might be one of the toughest places to hold in the entire game. It's just seems to be at a nexus where dwarves/orcs/empire will often go first to attack you when are VC. It's also 1 turn away from a few nearby settlements, so if the AI possess any of them (like Averland), they can take their full stack fresh from the city right to your doorstep. This make the other 2 pieces of the province that much weaker as well, as you just constantly struggle to control all 3 territories. Unless you build walls fast, this place just gets razed all the loving time. I think it's just better to leave it as smoldering ruins and move on to greener pastures.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does anyone know what circumstances cause which traits?

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

I hear if you spare enemy units too often, you get "Likes (race)", but sometimes you get it even if you murder them so :shrug:. Grimgor had Likes Dwarves but unless the subtext was "for dinner" I don't even know, because I never repatriated a single dwarf. I ate those motherfuckers.

I also know that attending the Grung Zint Imperial Military Academy turned every single one of my lords crooked as gently caress, but I don't know if that has to do with the process of beating down the greenskins or if it was them replenishing in or near Marienburg, which in the lore is a real wretched hive.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sjonnar posted:

I also know that attending the Grung Zint Imperial Military Academy turned every single one of my lords crooked as gently caress, but I don't know if that has to do with the process of beating down the greenskins or if it was them replenishing in or near Marienburg, which in the lore is a real wretched hive.

Could be all the looting? (Lots of sacking rather than the more militarily legitimate occupying/razing)

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Could be all the looting? (Lots of sacking rather than the more militarily legitimate occupying/razing)

I didn't sack often. If you sack it too much, it will rebel, and the rebels will take over the city, and then you have to raze it. So most of the time I only killed the lord that respawned every turn and only sacked the settlement if I failed to kill all the garrison troops, which left me stuck in the city aggro radius.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kaza42 posted:

Strigoi confirmed as in the game (This is during the Chaos Tomb Blade quest for Kemmler. I think vampire heroes aren't supposed to ride chaos horses)

that's horrifying

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

At least two of my banshees gained +kill chance from what the game said was my skill choices. I think the key ones were assassin, watcher, and the + Attack and Damage skills in the combat tree? But it wasn't reliable, because all of my banshees are basically built the same way.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiXtA2pNRAw

State of multiplayer in three random matches, also to give myself a huge disadvantage if we ever do competition, here's my playstyle.

Despite the huge amounts of well justified griping, I don't actually think the state of the game is in that bad a place. There's a ton of matches that are pretty fun so long as you kind of know what's up.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
The only use I've found for grenade outriders was stationing them behind lines of great swords cause they can slow or stop enemies just long to get a really smashing counter charge.

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011
You should always be counter charging right? A couple of moment before you they hit your line, get your guys to run too?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Depends on the troops. Some troops (spearmen, dwarfs etc) have charge resistance meaning they can deny the enemy their charge bonus, but only if they're properly braced to receive the charge.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

4th Horseman posted:

You should always be counter charging right? A couple of moment before you they hit your line, get your guys to run too?

Depends a bit on the particular unit matchup. Basically, charging in gives the charging unit a damage bonus for the first few seconds of the fight (I think it's 5 seconds full bonus, then tapering off over the next 5) according to their charge bonus. So for basic melee infantry against other basic infantry, countercharging is a good idea, because the enemy is already getting that bonus no matter what, so you might as well get it too.

However, a number of units have an attribute called Charge Defense against Large. That usually includes spearmen and other anti-large units, as well as pretty much all dwarf melee infantry. That means that if they are braced (i.e. stand still) when they receive the charge from large units (i.e. cavalry and bigger), the charge bonus of the enemy unit is nullified. In that case, it's usually better to stay braced and let them come to you. Many large units have pretty significant charge bonuses (particularly cavalry and chariots), so you're generally better off if neither you nor the enemy get that bonus, instead of your guys getting a minor bonus vs. their guys getting a huge bonus.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

4th Horseman posted:

If you have spears or halberds no, if you have anything else yes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Perestroika posted:

However, a number of units have an attribute called Charge Defense against Large. That usually includes spearmen and other anti-large units, as well as pretty much all dwarf melee infantry. That means that if they are braced (i.e. stand still) when they receive the charge from large units (i.e. cavalry and bigger), the charge bonus of the enemy unit is nullified.

Some units (like Ironbreakers) have Charge Defence against All. Even infantry lose their bonus against braced Ironbreakers.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Trying it out in custom battles, grenadier outriders are pretty effective vs enemy archers. The knockdown basically stuns the enemy so they can't shoot back.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fangz posted:

Trying it out in custom battles, grenadier outriders are pretty effective vs enemy archers. The knockdown basically stuns the enemy so they can't shoot back.

literally every cavalry unit in the game can beat non-dwarven foot archers without using their ranged guns tho

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Mans posted:

literally every cavalry unit in the game can beat non-dwarven foot archers without using their ranged guns tho

I present for the consideration of the court, pistoleers.

The Lone Badger posted:

Some units (like Ironbreakers) have Charge Defence against All. Even infantry lose their bonus against braced Ironbreakers.

Not that it matters because anyone charging ironbreakers probably just ate a faceful of blasting charge anyways :getin:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I was concerned about how strong I was letting Nordland, Middenland, and Ostland get north of the Reik when they made friends and ate Kislev in my current Empire game. I was busy hammering out the orks in the mountains, making friends with the dwarves, building my economy, and letting the Vampire Counts soften the other provinces to make them ripe for confederating. Then Archaon came calling on turn 110 as I had wiped the Vampires out except for ol' Manny in his castle and I was glad for the buffer up north.

That's my story, thanks for reading

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Mans posted:

Well, they are cheaper than Empire Knights, and better at that job than Outriders and Pistoliers so.... :shrug: I mean there is a point that they do that sort of fighting without getting into melee, which can be an advantage sometimes.

Not saying they are great units, especially if money isn't an issue. But I reckon as something you get en route to Demigriffs they are okay.

EDIT: I mean the argument you can make is that the standard counter to light harassment cavalry is to outshoot them with foot archers, or chase them off with your own cavalry, and the thing with the grenadier outriders is that they outshoot foot archers and are cheap enough that in a mirror match at least there's no cavalry you can chase them off with that doesn't equate to a net loss to you.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 28, 2016

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Posted on the CA facebook page.

Translates to Aaz Akazsh Nasdhashurh.

Apparently it's a reference to beastmen?

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 28, 2016

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
It's the Dark Tongue of Chaos iirc, so yeah, probably beastmen or something related.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

kanonvandekempen posted:

Posted on the CA facebook page.

Translates to Aaz Akazsh Nasdhashurh.

Apparently it's a reference to beastmen?

Angry Lobster posted:

It's the Dark Tongue of Chaos iirc, so yeah, probably beastmen or something related.

Found a list of the Chaos Runes in case anyone wants to take a crack at translating it. The Total War Facebook page notes that the phonetic pronunciation isn't "what it seems". Which probably means it's as imprecise as the "DIE URKS" you see engraved on grudgethrower stones.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

This is A Good Game(TM). CA really did a bang-up job and I can't wait to see what else they wrangle up, and I'm not even a fan of the setting.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I'm deliberately holding up my empire campaign waiting for a patch.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Ugh, after a clean sweep of the barbarians on VH, I got crushed by the tzeentch demon. I think i have too much cavalry and need to focus on more line troops.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The presentation of the bird demon is really cool when you play as Chaos but it's jarring how it appears out of nowhere when you're not chaos.

The fact that you still maintain you know who is even weirder.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Mans posted:

The presentation of the bird demon is really cool when you play as Chaos but it's jarring how it appears out of nowhere when you're not chaos.

The fact that you still maintain you know who is even weirder.

I don't know who you are talking about. Unless it's Voldemort

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Found a list of the Chaos Runes in case anyone wants to take a crack at translating it. The Total War Facebook page notes that the phonetic pronunciation isn't "what it seems". Which probably means it's as imprecise as the "DIE URKS" you see engraved on grudgethrower stones.

According to that, it seems like 'Aaz Akaash Nardharhurh'. Going to give the Beastmen army book a read to see if it has anything to shed light.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
According to some dude on the TW forums:

quote:

"aazh akash nardharhurh" ==> "The blood axe is coming on the battlefield" most likely

aazh = this one I'm confused.... Could be several stuff.... not sure.. BUT it is very close to "battle axe" so I would say it is an axe or a weapon.

akash = blood liquid

Nardhar = black magic ... I am a bit surprise because there is a better rune for this word whoch has not be used here.. And this Nar prefix is not expected either. Yet, this means "Black Magic"
huruh = place/battlefield

So that is talking about an axe with liquid blood on a battlefield

Blood DLC ? I mean we knew it was coming, but so soon?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kaza42 posted:

I don't know who you are talking about. Unless it's Voldemort

bird chaos demon thing is the old man advisor after his crow eats his eyes

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mans posted:

bird chaos demon thing is the old man advisor after his crow eats his eyes

Only when you play as chaos! He basically assumes the appropriate role of whats more or less expected of him depending on what faction you choose. And choosing chaos makes him a total turncoat dickbag! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Gejnor posted:

According to some dude on the TW forums:

Blood DLC ? I mean we knew it was coming, but so soon?

Only took two months for Rome 2. They probably made it alongside the base game while they were making the models, wouldn't make sense to do it all separately. At this point they probably only keep it separate for ratings reasons and dosh.

• Locked thread