Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

The final with g2 and luminosity was great, g2 were on fire the whole tournament so their games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Cheers, I'll be watching some of the G2 matches then!

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
This should be a simple question and you would think I would of figured it out by now, but I am poo poo at this game so...

On Mirage who can get to the window faster? CT's or T's? I know it also probably depends on spawns, but normally if someone else shoots the vent out on CT side, who can make it there first? It always seems like when I am on CT I get awped by the T who beat me, and vice versa on T.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
having someone else shoot the vent makes no difference since you can left click knife and the range for that is enough that you dont slam against it, but if im not mistaken ct is way faster to window than t assuming optimal spawns for both

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

surc posted:

Were you playing prime, or regular matchmaking? I've had much better experiences than I used to when I solo queue or 2-man queue using Prime.

Sadly, that was in Prime.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

fyallm posted:

This should be a simple question and you would think I would of figured it out by now, but I am poo poo at this game so...

On Mirage who can get to the window faster? CT's or T's? I know it also probably depends on spawns, but normally if someone else shoots the vent out on CT side, who can make it there first? It always seems like when I am on CT I get awped by the T who beat me, and vice versa on T.

Arf is right, CT is faster. But if you end up crawling through the vent too slowly, have a bad spawn, or the T has a really good spawn, you can be beaten there. You should sort of develop a sense of when you've taken too long and are going to peek into their AWP as a CT.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
The best way to stop from getting owned on a late spawn is to do some shoulder peeks when you get there to see if they're awping that angle before you take a wider look at top mid

edit: if you've lost the mid window fights too many times, try this route when you a spawn toward A. blue lines are the angles you can peek

if no one is in top mid, you'll want to back out of connector in <5 seconds because the underpass guy is probably about to kill you

stump collector fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 29, 2016

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
tbh ive had more delays in getting in window by my teammates either going b or trying to shoot the vent with their slower pistol runspeed than out of biffing the knife

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Re: mirage, is it even worth challenging corner as CT? If you get caught out and sniped, the T's suddenly have a huge advantage all within the first 10 seconds of the match. A pick is great, but mid is so hard to push without pro smokes, why not play safe?

In my mind, I'd much rather have the person archside B push cat, and if he sees anyone, he can set up a crossfire with snipers nest watching cat, and stairs on A can rotate to connector.

...am I showing my Nova here?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

Re: mirage, is it even worth challenging corner as CT? If you get caught out and sniped, the T's suddenly have a huge advantage all within the first 10 seconds of the match. A pick is great, but mid is so hard to push without pro smokes, why not play safe?

In my mind, I'd much rather have the person archside B push cat, and if he sees anyone, he can set up a crossfire with snipers nest watching cat, and stairs on A can rotate to connector.

the problem is if you don't at least take the peak from either window or connector you're basically giving up mid control without ever challenging.

edit: mid is easy to push without pro smokes, pretty much everyone knows the window smoke and you can fudge a decent connector smoke.

Photex fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 29, 2016

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

That takes coordination and it really doesn't take two people to play mid. A smart awper has a lot more presence even just as a deterrent for Ts to go top mid. A guy pushing up cat most rounds might as well be saying "go ahead and rush apps because there's only going to be one guy crouching behind bench to stop you"

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Doesn't take two people to play B either! Spotting top mid from cat is a good way to get information. if your A teammates can smoke off ramp and hide from palace then they can flash over for your connector and catwalk players to take fights with the top mid players. this is an especially potent counter to mid control and you can turn it up to 11 by having the mid window guy throw an incendiary to behind top mid boxes. assuming this works you now have a man advantage and you can jumpspot for info to take the easy round win

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013
It really depends on the spawn, if I'm lucky I can usually get through the window and be in lower before they even peek.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Photex posted:

the problem is if you don't at least take the peak from either window or connector you're basically giving up mid control without ever challenging.

edit: mid is easy to push without pro smokes, pretty much everyone knows the window smoke and you can fudge a decent connector smoke.

yeah you dont really need pro smokes

gigawhite posted:

A smart awper has a lot more presence even just as a deterrent for Ts to go top mid. A guy pushing up cat most rounds might as well be saying "go ahead and rush apps because there's only going to be one guy crouching behind bench to stop you"

also this, an awper is a big warning for trying any nonsense on mid. If you manage to stop the window smoke (assuming they havent perfected the spawn runjump one) you've prevented them from gaining a BIG advantage. Also smoking off cat is a lot more trivial than window, so if your cat is smoked and theres noone at window, its a lot more severe. An unexpected window boost can be devastating.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I have yet to be able to throw a window smoke consistently, but I found out I'm hella good at smoking off underpass when I fail, which counts for something. :unsmith:

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
You need a jump throw script. I'll post a screenshot later when I get off work where to aim. It's pretty simple.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

symbolic posted:

I have yet to be able to throw a window smoke consistently, but I found out I'm hella good at smoking off underpass when I fail, which counts for something. :unsmith:

we can call this technique "Under-fail".

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Mirage is torture against a good team if your team doesn't use smokes. So many good awp lines

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ArfJason posted:

we can call this technique "Under-fail".
While clever, I still groaned inwardly.

Audax posted:

You need a jump throw script. I'll post a screenshot later when I get off work where to aim. It's pretty simple.
Yeah, I know that one. I have yet to implement a jump throw bind/script, so that one comes down to pinpoint manual timing. There's also the one where you line up at one of the windowsills between T spawn and palace entrance and run throw. That's how I usually try to smoke window.

symbolic fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 29, 2016

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Good to know about Mirage. It's next to impossible to get a good game together on the Nova ranks, so those strategies are like a foreign language.

Can't wait to get a higher rank going.

Complexity just took a map from Gambit, and Thorin was forced to eat his words and wear a CoL shirt

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Am I dumb for refusing to set up a jump throw bind? I'd just rather have 70-80% success under my own power on from-spawn smokes (sup, d2 Xbox smoke), than 100% from a script, but I feel like it'll start screwing me eventually.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
no point in setting one up if you want to be good since you're probably not supposed to use them in league play

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Set n as release attack, use your thumb to press space and n at the same time.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Ixtlilton posted:

Set n as release attack, use your thumb to press space and n at the same time.

B-b-b-but my text binds!!! :qq:

I never saw the point in using a script, but then again I really don't use pro smokes and would rather just be aggro and murder everyone.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
lots of nerds in this thread will cry if you threaten their jump scripting abilities so lets keep this thread a safe space by not mentioning it

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I avoid this problem by playing matchmaking in a rank low enough to where you can reliably kill someone with a p90 before they kill you with their ak

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

NTT posted:

I avoid this problem by playing matchmaking in a rank low enough to where you can reliably kill someone with a p90 before they kill you with their ak

That's true until about global tbh

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

gigawhite posted:

That takes coordination and it really doesn't take two people to play mid. A smart awper has a lot more presence even just as a deterrent for Ts to go top mid. A guy pushing up cat most rounds might as well be saying "go ahead and rush apps because there's only going to be one guy crouching behind bench to stop you"

its really easy to hold b by yourself or at least delay the enemy enough your team can rotate as long as you're not a moron sitting at bench with nowhere to go

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Thanks for the games Schlurps; always fun

http://plays.tv/video/5774703ceff43ba55e/i-am-badeed

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 30, 2016

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXueVu1tbSg

I don't think this poo poo should be possible.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

NTT posted:

My my... what big crosshair you have :bigtran:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

NTT posted:

was a couple good games there. we'll get a bunch of Goonovas together and do it again sometime.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NTT posted:

i've had a person in my last 5 teams complain about "p90 bitches" while clearly knowing even less about counterstrike movement and weapon control than I do

it's really cathartic, somehow.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How often do you have to play comp not to lose rank? I only play like 1-2 comp games a week and not every week. I win way more than I lose, and I'm usually at the top of the scoreboard. I've been stuck in silver 1 for months, and haven't played comp before that for a long time. I definitely play at least every other week, so the rank thing never goes away.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Safety Scissors posted:

How often do you have to play comp not to lose rank? I only play like 1-2 comp games a week and not every week. I win way more than I lose, and I'm usually at the top of the scoreboard. I've been stuck in silver 1 for months, and haven't played comp before that for a long time. I definitely play at least every other week, so the rank thing never goes away.
After 30 days, your rank doesn't display anymore, and you have to win a game to get it back.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
for a moment i double take'd when he said silver 1 before remembering they shifted ranks so that it would no longer be rarer than taaffeite

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Yeah it feels pretty crazy to know that GN3 is actually the equivalent of the old MG1/2.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So the badge I had before is now mg1/2 equivalent and I didn't get lovely randomly? Cool.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

symbolic posted:

After 30 days, your rank doesn't display anymore, and you have to win a game to get it back.

This isn't true. My brother was silver 2 in early May, and didn't play till June. After we won a game two weeks ago, he got his rank back and he dropped to silver 1. His k/d was a bit above 1, and he had at least few mvp stars. How is that possible if there's no decay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
He didn't say there wasn't any decay.