Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Thanks man that's a great start. It's probably been almost 2 years since I've gone through but right at the start I see the word "tornado" so this should be good.

Edit: pretty bad way to start a new page so have a story.

I said I wouldn't tell my Africa ones till I got out but I figure it's been a couple of years already.

The British are all loving retarded wankers. Out of all the militaries in the world I have yet to meet a more dickish unprofessional force than those Limey fucks. So they have us all gathered in central Africa for this training exercise for the Africans and the British sent some "special" forces soldiers to fill their requirement. Even before the exercise starts the British are down a man after their "special forces medic with 16 years of service" blows his finger off cleaning a pistol in his tent. Amazingly managed to not shoot anyone else. His finger had a good amount of flesh at the bottom but the entire middle was so blown away you could see the bone in the middle then right through on both sides of the done except for two strips of flesh on either side going from the bottom up to the relatively untouched tip. He kept asking if he was going to keep his finger and our orthopedic surgeon kept telling him that this was a well equipped hardened facility with multiple western trained orthopedic surgeons (amazingly this was all true) but the second they wheeled him around the corner she made the old neck slicing motion and straight up said "yeah that's gone". RIP in piss pointer finger. Best part was even his buddies were talking about how he is probably going to get kicked out and get 0 money since he did it to himself retardedly. Trying to talk to any of the British while this was happening was a night mare though, a bunch of self absorbed shits through and through, it's not like I'm going to keep you dumbass buddy breathing or anything while we are in there.

I don't know if this one was the day of the exercise or right before it but one of the British managed to fall out of a truck and bust his head open. Another one bites the dust.

Finally the British managed to cut the only water pipe into our small rear end DESERT camp. Not a good way to endear yourselves to others.

Long story short the British ended up taking their flag down a day before everyone else did and were not invited to the big end of exercise cook out/party.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

SKate

or

DIE!!!!!!!!!!

This was a kicking rad NES game.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

This was a kicking rad NES game.

If you aren't primarily familiar with it from the arcade you don't know what you're talking about. Sorry

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I need some advice (not for me, but for a friend on another forum);

quote:

So I'm looking into going into aviation maintenance, and the most surefire way to get into the aviation maintenance workforce is through the military. In about 30 days I'll be seeing a military physician to see if I'm considered eligible for military service. In the meanwhile, I impulsively decided that I want to work with helichoppers on the basis that they're neat, maybe easier to maintain than jets, and I'll get a decent chance to actually go on missions and see scenery if I end up as crew chief. Am I being reasonable with expectations or should I go for something else?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The only helicopter crew chief I've ever known died in a Blackhawk crash, so :shrug:

He liked it enough he was trying to get a WO/flight slot.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

LostCosmonaut posted:

I need some advice (not for me, but for a friend on another forum);

"Easier to maintain" Hahahahaha

As a former helicopter FE and fighter maintainer, his line of thinking is pretty off. Get him to try for a flying job, and use his GI bill/TA to pay for an airframe and power plant license. You won't get into civilian aircraft maintenance without one.

Army helo crew chiefs might get the cert through their training, but I'm not sure. I know air force guys don't. Army helo crew chief lets you fly and do maintenance, with all the benefits and the drawbacks of both jobs, and the added draw back of "army". So take that as you will.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The best advice is don't enlist, retard.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

The best advice is don't enlist, retard.

you wouldnt think we'd have to say that, but holly bloops sure proved us wrong today

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Anyone that is rated as a maintainer in the military can generally test into their A&P without too much issue after they separate. Problem is, most branches (Marines are the notable exception) produce extremely competent techs in one particular specialization, while civilian mechanics are generally expected to be jacks-of-all-trades. I've met numerous ex-military mechanics (Air Force in particular) that had a HUGE learning curve, transitioning to civilian maintenance.

Also, the lifestyle for 70% of civilian helicopter mechanics is poo poo, and consists of living in terrible hotels in bumfuck Nebraska, chasing a helicopter all day in a lovely pickup truck, and keeping it flying with absolutely zero logistics or parts support. The other 30% did that for a long time before they nailed down a steady fixed-base gig.

The airlines are generally similar, in that you'll spend a long time in a poo poo base, before being able to transfer to a decent one. (Hello, Newark.) Also, airline mechanics unions are generally pretty weak, since the airline is generally primarily focused on satisfying their pilot union. Layoffs are a part of life, and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

If he has any civilian-specific (Part 147 in particular) questions, PM me.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cross post from funny pictures.

Let's run down the checklist
- initial overtones of being gay as hell
- macho tests of strength
- legitimate chance of dying if something goes wrong
- third idiot taking a photo instead of stopping first and second idiots from idioting.

Joe. Joe never changes.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Memento posted:

Cross post from funny pictures.

Let's run down the checklist
- initial overtones of being gay as hell
- macho tests of strength
- legitimate chance of dying if something goes wrong
- third idiot taking a photo instead of stopping first and second idiots from idioting.

Joe. Joe never changes.

It took a bit of looking before I realized that it wasn't just really gay.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

you wouldnt think we'd have to say that, but holly bloops sure proved us wrong today

What? Link?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Stultus Maximus posted:

No its still really homoerotic

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

lightpole posted:

No its still really homoerotic

Yeah it's not just really gay, like he said.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
What else is it if not that?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

lightpole posted:

Potentially self-correcting.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

lightpole posted:

I'm not sure if you didn't see the knife or if potentially ventilating someone's liver in the course of your daily game of gay chicken is normal for you.

poodonkey
Dec 31, 2013
Going from army aviation maintenance to civilian maintenance is like jumping into an icy lake. You are cripplingly over specialized in your mos, and no civilian employer wants to hear "but I wasn't authorized to do that". Speaking from an avionics maintenance standpoint, you are expected to do just about goddamn everything in the civilian world. In the army you just do your little checklist and when that's done, weakly masturbate in a spam.

Certifications like A&P and the FCC certification are absolutely essential, no employer will give you a look without them in hand. Good luck getting them with a lovely command (that's 99% of them). Your real only job opportunity is to work at Dynacorp when you get out, perhaps in the same lovely hangar you wasted the last six years in.

But I'm not bitter. I've seen folks take years to make the leap from 1970s finest avionics to fixing some hicks Cessna.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Memento posted:

I'm not sure if you didn't see the knife or if potentially ventilating someone's liver in the course of your daily game of gay chicken is normal for you.

I wouldn't call it normal but as long as you aren't using the safe word/sign it's up to the referee as to whether or not to allow it.

Edit: I think they banned sharp edges in league play but friendlies are still mostly anything goes

lightpole fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 3, 2016

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Check out the dad chat thread. He was idly thinking (not seriously) about going back in into an ANG unit because he missed flying.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MrYenko posted:

The airlines are generally similar, in that you'll spend a long time in a poo poo base, before being able to transfer to a decent one. (Hello, Newark.) Also, airline mechanics unions are generally pretty weak, since the airline is generally primarily focused on satisfying their pilot union. Layoffs are a part of life, and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

The pilot union doesn't get satisfied either.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

iyaayas01 posted:

Check out the dad chat thread. He was idly thinking (not seriously) about going back in into an ANG unit because he missed flying.

Yeah, I saw. You guys are loving dicks.

In response, have this:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tunicate posted:

The pilot union doesn't get satisfied either.

Fair point. I worked as a non-union contract mechanic at a cargo airline with an ALPA contract: It can certainly get worse

:commissar:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Looking up is hard, yo.

Soldiers shocked by powerlines during training at Puckapunyal

quote:

Two Australian Army soldiers are in hospital after receiving electric shocks during a training exercise at Puckapunyal in central Victoria.

A Defence spokesperson said the pair were shocked when a radio antenna they were erecting came into contact with powerlines on Monday evening.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'd like to know what mitigating factors kept them from dying. Every once in a while you hear about HAM nerds getting killed like that.

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien
The current flows backwards so it's less dangerous.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

Top Joe slips and falls straight down into the knife. He lets out a half grunt/half sigh as the steel blade sliced into his stomach. Blood begins to trickle and then pour from the wound. As panic sets in amongst the Joes in the room, Top Joe is calm and, strangely, happier than he's ever been before.

Their balls had finally touched.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

We need someone from ISIS to post here I'd love to hear their stories of idiots.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Casimir Radon posted:

I'd like to know what mitigating factors kept them from dying. Every once in a while you hear about HAM nerds getting killed like that.

There is a video on liveleak that shows 4 chinese dudes moving some scaffolding around, they touch an overhead powerline and fry. 1 guy lived, after getting up and touching the scaffolding AGAIN and getting knocked out a second time.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Turdis McWordis posted:

The current flows backwards so it's less dangerous.

:catstare:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Reverand maynard posted:

We need someone from ISIS to post here I'd love to hear their stories of idiots.

Did Abu Hajaar live or die? I can't remember.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

He lives on in our hearts

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtTufedsr88

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Car alarms are the worst thing ever invented.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ded posted:

Car alarms are the worst thing ever invented.

Leaf blowers.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Mike-o posted:

I don't think the video shows him dying. The cameraman definitely did, though.

Keep doing you, Abu Hajaar.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
abu hajar. never forget

ps where is my isis flag with a crying abu hajar emoticon? yall dropping the ball here

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Phanatic posted:

Leaf blowers.

you're not using the right leaf blowers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8jW9_JCr14

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Mike-o posted:

More like "ascended".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Wasabi the J posted:

you're not using the right leaf blowers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8jW9_JCr14

Seems like a pretty great blower for when you have a bunch of leaves in a flat treeless yard!

Leaf blowers are dumb except for arguably sidewalks or something to get the leaves somewhere you could rake them.

fake edit: I would be curious to see how long it would take someone with a decent rake to rake that area. I'm guessing somewhere around 5 minutes as long as they don't have a crappy rake. Maybe more thinking about it, I guess it depends how deep the leaves are.

ssb fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 7, 2016