Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Picard Day posted:

It's also no longer an official Demon Hawks update unless someone hooks Jason Youngblood up with a space Gatorade.

Space Gatorade should be throwing infinity C-Bills at Duncan for his endorsement after this.

"Aaaah, just what I needed after wiping out that Clan Binary this morning."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loa Vecre
Jul 27, 2014
1B) Cute, but no.

Like PTN said, refusing would be going back to business as usual, and business has been good for the Demon Hawks.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

1A) It's free robits
2A) A trinary
3) Their Union-C. And their entire technical support and spacefaring staff.

I'm not sure the Demon Hawks need a full on Overlord-C when a Union-C is much more in line with their current size, and challenging a Trinary is much less likely to get them into a situation where they're fighting, say, 30+ mechs.

If 1B) wins we need to send them that cat meme.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

If 1B wins the Demon Hawks should point out they would be perfectly willing to face the clans Elementals in honorable combat, but must decline as there are no worthy Mechwarriors to support them.

Edit:
I do like the Union-C idea for the demand as it is almost perfectly suited to the Demon Hawks logistically. Of course it may not be if they want to expand significantly but even in that case it would still be useful.

Could we offer to do the Trial for the return of NRWR captives and squeeze extra favors out of Amaris? He might value some restored manpower over a future drop ship that is much nicer than a Union-C.

Picard Day fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 1, 2016

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Guys, don't bid for WarShips, that would be dumb and you wouldn't be able to maintain one. Just get whatever the clan equivalent of the Invader-Class is, in addition to a trio of Broadswords, or maybe a single Union-C to go along with that jumpship as Gay Abortions suggested.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Oh my god that update.

Did Amaris actually figure out the Super-Jump drive and the K-F torpedo which the WoB was rumored to be working on (and never managed to get working prototypes of)?

Amazing.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
1B And tell them that they have nothing worth fighting over. Though if some of their warriors would like to fight alongside actual warriors, that would be possible. The Demon Hawks have some open positions...

Working for Amaris is more profitable than going into a Trial. In which one is bound to loose some Mechs/Pilots. Since one isn't going to be able to fight 15 vs 5, three times in a row.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

1b Duels are silly

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Also NO
gently caress the clan's bullshit.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Yeah, all this talk about demanding jump ships and warships is silly. No way in hell we're winning against the kind of force that would be warranted to defend that poo poo. A good, solid gamble would be going up against a trinary for their dropship. It's worth a hell of a lot more than our total bounty so far, and is a reasonably sane bet to make.

1. A We're Mercs, and this gives the Hawks an in with clan society. Despite their distaste for mercenaries, it means possibly making contacts who can open up avenues for information or trade. A big deal if we need to replace our clanspec gear.
2. A Sane, won't crush us with overwhelming force.
3. A Crewed Dropship. As above, it's a big ask but not something unheard of.

If on the other hand you wanted to help the war effort, you'd want to bid for war material. I'm talking ammo, replacement gyros, armor plating. The grunt poo poo that keeps a war machine moving.

Edit:

sheep-dodger posted:

That update! :allears:

While it's probably already decided, I'm gonna throw in a vote for 1A, and they should challenge Ath's unit for posession of Ath. What would the smallest unit be for that? A star?
Just imagine getting Angry Space Grandpa on board with the Demon Hawks. :swoon:

Almost certain he'd take bondsref (ritual suicide).

Tran fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 1, 2016

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

That update! :allears:

While it's probably already decided, I'm gonna throw in a vote for 1A, and they should challenge Ath's unit for posession of Ath. What would the smallest unit be for that? A star?
Just imagine getting Angry Space Grandpa on board with the Demon Hawks. :swoon:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Can you imagine the Harvest Trials, but for a merc unit? Glorious.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Tran posted:

A big deal if we need to replace our clanspec gear.

Well since Amaris is best friends with a certain group of ejected Clanners, that shouldn't be a big problem.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

1A Yes please.
2A A Trinary, an equal fight.
A Dropship with crew, parts and support.

Might as well become a big-boy company.

CISscum
Nov 15, 2014
Sticking to Amaris' maximum troll plan to infuriate the poo poo out of the Clans, Demon Hawks should:
1A) Accept the Clan challenge for an honor duel
2D) Agree to engage: a galaxy, BattleMech forces only
3) Bid for whatever

If the conditions of the fight permit it, make an artillery / Revenants trap: fire smoke rounds and then just boomdoggie all honourable Clan mechwarriors to bits. While playing "Who let the dogs out" on all frequencies.

If the conditions are unfavorable, just don't show. Send them the most dismissive message you can think of like "We were totally going to fight you but then aunt Josephine came and we were awfully busy with all the cat pictures and croissants, so you know... maybe next time." Then strike at some now undefended base.

CISscum fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 1, 2016

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
How about A complete Clantech memory core?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
1B: No

There's no point in following the clans stupidity when we've just seen proof of just how blind to it the clans really are. Why emulate a moronic society?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
1B) No. And send them pain.jpg.

I know some sweet space-faring swag would be some tight poo poo, but I'd rather troll the clans and leave with an already sizable paycheck with my nuts still attached and still big enough to turn heads at the hiring halls.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Freakazoid_ posted:

1B) No. And send them pain.jpg.

I know some sweet space-faring swag would be some tight poo poo, but I'd rather troll the clans and leave with an already sizable paycheck with my nuts still attached and still big enough to turn heads at the hiring halls.

This and gently caress free clan poo poo. We kick their rear end with IS gear because that just proves our point better.

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
1B) No.

Make sure to be as obnoxious as possible when refusing.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Ask them for prime cuts of their totem animal, battered, rubbed in spices, and deep-fried.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

AJ_Impy posted:

How about A complete Clantech memory core?

This.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I'd also like to point out, that this was an awesome mission debriefing/situation update. Thanks PTN, for your :effort:

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

CISscum posted:

Sticking to Amaris' maximum troll plan to infuriate the poo poo out of the Clans, Demon Hawks should:
1A) Accept the Clan challenge for an honor duel
2D) Agree to engage: a galaxy, BattleMech forces only
3) Bid for whatever

If the conditions of the fight permit it, make an artillery / Revenants trap: fire smoke rounds and then just boomdoggie all honourable Clan mechwarriors to bits. While playing "Who let the dogs out" on all frequencies.

If the conditions are unfavorable, just don't show. Send them the most dismissive message you can think of like "We were totally going to fight you but then aunt Josephine came and we were awfully busy with all the cat pictures and croissants, so you know... maybe next time." Then strike at some now undefended base.

I like this, with the additional clause that the Demon Hawks should demand that they face only second-line mechwarriors, on the basis that they are much more intelligent fighters. This would not only piss the clans off, it would also be vastly more likely to leave a base undefended.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Hey PTN..

The snow ravens still have like fifteen warships compared to NRWRs two carriers and one battleship in system right?

So they still have a solid aerospace advantage but they can't get in orbit to bombard because suicide jumpships. And the NRWR ships are thrashing their jumpships who are situated like a few days travel away?

I'm asking for clarification because people are assuming all the snow raven ships have to run away or be destroyed. But what is really happening is we're stranding their forces on the planet and disrupting their logistics while making their space advantage not matter on the field.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If I read the fluff correctly, the NRWR has two battleships (though not McKenna style) plus their Tower series carriers in system, plus the threat of jump torpedoes.

I don't know how many combat ships the Snow Ravens have left, but they left less than 5 to defend their two sets of transports and just lost the McKenna, which was their heavy hitter. Their "solid aerospace advantage" doesn't seem very solid, especially when the practical application of that force is "Well, we can't go near the stable jump points, and we can't go near the planet where the battle is happening."

It's like being the World's Strongest Man, in a poetry contest. Even if it's true, how exactly does it help you in the current situation?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
1B but word the rejection as "Sorry, there just isn't anyone good enough between you. Its nothing personal".

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Yeah, I would not be at all surprised if the Fourth was at the opposite jump point taking care of the other clan escape point alongside another carrier or two.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010
Also, what do we thing are the odds for 1C - Demon Hawks say no to Amaris, who says "cool, here's your next job, on some random backwater, oh maybe you should expect at most one well equipped star, but that's probably all" which turns out to be a Khan who thinks they're in a challenge because Amaris actually said yes to the Clans?

If Demon Hawks win, they still get paid, but Amaris gets ... whatever he wants, really, on top of wrecking some of the best the Clans have.

If Demon Hawks lose, the Clans get all excited about the victory but Amaris loses some mercs. A very good merc company yes, but mercs.

There's really only upsides to Amaris if the challenge proceeds, especially if the Demon Hawks think they're just on regular patrols and Amaris is the one choosing and collecting the prizes.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I think slim to none. Amaris still wants a good reputation with mercs, and springing that kind of thing on his star mercenaries would not be conducive to that goal.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
You know what'd be amusing? If that lone aerospace pilot who managed somehow to get his Vandal into space against all odds to board with the McKenna... only to then die in the jump drive 'accident'.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

vorebane posted:

I think slim to none. Amaris still wants a good reputation with mercs, and springing that kind of thing on his star mercenaries would not be conducive to that goal.

As noted before: that rep is not hurt if there is no one left alive to update people on that rep. A mostly Liao time-honored tradition is to stiff mercs on their pay either this way or by citing some secret clause you did not fulfill they snuck into your contract ( or just lie about your performance, leaving you with the word of a large state versus a mangy merc company)

Especially in this era scamming mercs was semi commonplace, until the Dragoons came around and set up a slightly better Mercnet.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Zaodai posted:

If I read the fluff correctly, the NRWR has two battleships (though not McKenna style) plus their Tower series carriers in system, plus the threat of jump torpedoes.

I don't know how many combat ships the Snow Ravens have left, but they left less than 5 to defend their two sets of transports and just lost the McKenna, which was their heavy hitter. Their "solid aerospace advantage" doesn't seem very solid, especially when the practical application of that force is "Well, we can't go near the stable jump points, and we can't go near the planet where the battle is happening."

It's like being the World's Strongest Man, in a poetry contest. Even if it's true, how exactly does it help you in the current situation?

Clan snow raven has forty warships and sea fox 18 according to sarna.

I believe ptn has stated there are 15 clan warships in system.

And we know of 1 bs and 2 carriers. NRWR.

10 vs 6 at worst. But they have reinforcements to call in.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

vorebane posted:

Oh, no, Amaris still pays them *really well*, the Demon Hawks just don't have any idea as to how much Amaris gains if they win.

To be the very best mercs you need to be 1/ skilled 2/ prepared 3/ lucky and while a lot of mercs have (2), the Demon Hawks might not have (3) the next time around - as in Sophmore Slump / Second Season Syndrome, etc:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regression_to_the_mean

evilmiera posted:

As noted before: that rep is not hurt if there is no one left alive to update people on that rep
Maybe, but if you're the Clanner that takes down the Dadlass in a trial then you probably never shut up about it. At least until the 4th response of "... Duncan Kalma who? Why is some merc important?"

The best leaders see *everything* as a resource, and I reckon Amaris likes a good Xanatos Pileup. He can say to the Clans "yes, there will be a challenge of a Company, but only one. Please sort out among yourselves who is the most fit for this challenge" and have the Clans chip away at each other without even any NRWR involvement. But I'm not changing my vote from 1B because the Demon Hawks are still mercs and they gotta get paid.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
1B : Reply of the Zaporozhian Host 2.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If you're doing impolite you want Arkell vs Pressdram.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
1A, 2B) The only prize will be a glass of water, since we'll be thirsty after kicking some butt (and it'd right piss off the clans)

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

I think we all at least agree that the correct wording of the response is 'whatever will piss off the Clanners the most'.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Zaodai posted:

Then we tell them they've violated the rules of the trial by having unbid forces (the McKenna) show up on the field.

:perfect:

More seriously, nthing the bid for a dropship idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I'm not sure why people are so obsessed with getting Clan Tech or Clan Tech Specs. The IS is fast catching up, and unlike Clan Tech there actually exist factories in the IS to produce that poo poo. Plus the NRWR is ahead of the clans in many areas and equal in most others.

Also loving the continued Amaris response to being in industry surplus and manpower starved. Drone Aerospace Wingmen, Throwing the expensive and industry heavy jumpdrives at warships instead of training and manning enough battleships to match them 1:1, using not-dumb spaceship designs so he punches way above everyone else per-ship.

• Locked thread