Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hoops posted:

Yeah I'll agree with that. The Tory ones turn much quicker for obvious reasons that I don't think need to be spelled out to the UKMT. David Blunkett seems to have remained a kind-hearted person, but then again I suppose he wasn't reading any of the reports.
:captainpop:

He did go a bit fash and was very on board with the "ban stuff instead of dealing with the underlying social issues" bandwagon. And the "gun down prisoners instead of dealing with the underlying social issues" bandwagon, which fortunately was just him and Richard Littlejohn,

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jack of Hearts posted:

There's no guaranteed GE until 2020, and in the meantime, is it unreasonable to wish to have a leader who has the support of the opposition?

It would be nice to also have a leader who has the support of the opposition party.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Prince John posted:

It's perfectly feasible to carry on using sterling, it's just dumb for the same reason that joining the Euro would be dumb, just even worse. Scotland would be ceding an exchange rate that floated according to its needs while having no control over monetary policy and only having access to tax raising/spending powers that were significantly smaller than those of rUK.

Several countries around the world do this with the USD though, so it's not the impossibility that single market without free movement is.

What the SNP was proposing was not "we'll just continue using the sterling", it was a unified monetary policy with britain but without any centralised controls on scotland's fiscal policy, essentially a sterling-zone. this was unsurprisingly rejected by every major westminster party.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Why was marriage a constitutional issue in Ireland in the first place? Who defines marriage in their founding documents? :psyduck:

DeValera wanted to draft a new constitution without mention to monarchy, replacing the leading office from Governer-General to President, making Irish the first official language and claiming the entire Island of Ireland as the territory of the State.
Unfortunately he consulted with the Catholic Church to help pass his new constitution who were the reason it had a section on marriage, among other bits that had to be amended out.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

OwlFancier posted:

what the gently caress is with the 'accidentally pissed down my own leg' stance?

It's and Alpha male stance that is supposed to convey a powerful sexual dominance.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

OwlFancier posted:

I can't remember who I voted for but I think it was Stella Creasy.

What happened to her?

Paraphrasing from a half remembered tweet but:
Hilary Benn saying ISIL were bad guys made Creasy go oh I never thought of that and vote for the bombing

and that seems to be when people stopped talking positively about her

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jack of Hearts posted:

There's no guaranteed GE until 2020, and in the meantime, is it unreasonable to wish to have a leader who has the support of the opposition?

(I understand if you say "it's cool to be out in the wilderness for the next decade so long as we get proper Labourites into office afterwards.")

It's unreasonable when the "opposition" don't actually oppose the government, yes.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jack of Hearts posted:

(I understand if you say "it's cool to be out in the wilderness for the next decade so long as we get proper Labourites into office afterwards.")

Ignoring the membership except at election time is why Labour is in such a mess right now.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

It's and Alpha male stance that is supposed to convey a powerful sexual dominance.

It conveys that you're dying for a piss.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I can't remember who I voted for but I think it was Stella Creasy.

What happened to her?

Constituency projects, stuff for the Co-operative Party (which is her primary party affiliation) about developing and promoting mutualisation. She's only a 2010-intake MP, and although she's a formidable campaigner, I think after her throwing her hat in for deputy in the post-Ed leadership ballots she's keeping her head down. Probably quite wise, tbh.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Halman posted:

Dumb American here but I thought Tom Watson was supposed to be good

So did we. He has a reputation as being someone who knows his poo poo and does what's best for the party, as well as being someone who is good a backroom politics and could keep the PLP in line.

Unfortunately, it seems pretty likely that that's accurate, but he's been fighting for the wrong team.

I voted for him mostly because he seems to have a good head on his shoulders WRT the internet, communications and modern technology, but boy do I regret it now.

Thinking back I don't think there actually were any deputy candidates that struck me as... you know, good.

Also, did anyone consider the possibility that the reason Watson didn't run is that he would presumably have to give up the deputy seat and trigger a deputy election, in which Corbyn would run a lefty and the lefty would win?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

See when I think of alpha male sexual dominance I think of like, a dude in epaulets standing with one hand behind their back and the other one holding a sword or something.

Not trying out for an extra role in a romero film.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

a glitch posted:

So one of my friends who's a member of Labour told me that a lot of the Labour right are planning on leaving the party and taking the Labour name with them if Corbyn wins the leadership vote again.

How likely does that sound? Part of me wants to see it happen just to see Blarite tears :allears:

Been wondering about this for a while. There's chunks of both parties that are dissatisfied with leadership and direction, and as the thread's noted there's plenty of overlap idealogically between new labour and centrist tory. I can't see such a part being especially successful outside of a vacuum left by the other two being poo poo.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I find it hilarious that Gove backstabs Johnson, and the Tories immediately say "Thanks for getting him out of the way, but don't bother us any further."

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
100% guarantee there will not be a split.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I find it hilarious that Gove backstabs Johnson, and the Tories immediately say "Thanks for getting him out of the way, but don't bother us any further."

Tory politics is an oroborous of knives in backs.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

This is 3d chess. Murdoch is using Gove to remove Boris whilst also making himself unelectable. And so the cascade of dominos tumbles...

At the end of all of this Cameron ends up back in power and has to carry out order 50.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

See when I think of alpha male sexual dominance I think of like, a dude in epaulets standing with one hand behind their back and the other one holding a sword or something.

:heysexy:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

This probably was already brought up in last months thread. But I've only just seen it. In case there's others

Hitler in his bunkers views on BREXIT - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a6HNXtdvVQ

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

qhat posted:

What the SNP was proposing was not "we'll just continue using the sterling", it was a unified monetary policy with britain but without any centralised controls on scotland's fiscal policy, essentially a sterling-zone. this was unsurprisingly rejected by every major westminster party.

Oh, sorry, I stand corrected! That is a bit more bizarre than I had realised.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Halman posted:

It's like the Tories run a seminar on how to stand without looking human while doing so
It's the natural consequence of the stick up the arse.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Halman posted:

Dumb American here but I thought Tom Watson was supposed to be good

Tom Watson is a machine gun. He's nether good nor bad, he's just meant to be aimed.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

namesake posted:

Ignoring the membership except at election time is why Labour is in such a mess right now.

That's specifically what I mean by "for a decade." If there's no early GE, then Labour MPs will have to be deselected in 2020, which will reform the party, but probably won't win a majority unless Britain is in a depression.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Prince John posted:

the eurozone is basically the same thing although it's also a great example of what can happen when you can't do anything to stop member countries from making promises to blow up their public spending in order to win elections

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

Tom Watson is a machine gun. He's nether good nor bad, he's just meant to be aimed.
The idea of Tom Watson making David Blunkett aroused disturbs me greatly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He can liberate my colony any time.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Prince John posted:

There were Yes supporters who weren't happy with the idea either but to be honest the SNP had a few proposals like that which were essentially keeping things the same as pre-Indy like having the Queen as head of state which also resulted in some arguments.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

The idea of Tom Watson making David Blunkett aroused disturbs me greatly.

David Blunkett can't aim.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

More and more I get the impression that the real problem is just that human beings are poo poo and however hard we try we just can't do civilisation because we're just animals with shoes

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Hoops posted:

100% guarantee there will not be a split.

That's very confident of you... what else could MPs do if Corbyn was re-elected in a contest? I mean, they could decide to try to respect the wishes of the members by I think everyone knows that's not going to happen.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

He can liberate my colony any time.
Now imagine Gove dressed like that attempting the 'alpha male' thing.

Gonzo McFee posted:

David Blunkett can't aim.
Sit him behind a Maxim gun on the despatch box in the Commons and tell him he's at the gates of Lincoln prison.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-36688370

quote:

The Labour MP for Blaydon, Dave Anderson, is to be the party's new shadow Scottish Secretary, a senior source has told BBC Scotland.

The job has been vacant since Edinburgh MP Ian Murray resigned, calling on Jeremy Corbyn to stand down as leader.

Mr Anderson was also made shadow Northern Ireland Secretary last week.

The north-east of England parliamentarian currently sits on the Scottish Affairs Committee at Westminster.

Mr Anderson said he would seek a meeting with Scottish Labour leader Kezia Dugdale "as soon as possible".

TinTower posted:

To be fair, the Scottish independence white paper had half as many pages as the Leave plan had words in total.

Because they had none?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Constituency projects, stuff for the Co-operative Party (which is her primary party affiliation) about developing and promoting mutualisation. She's only a 2010-intake MP, and although she's a formidable campaigner, I think after her throwing her hat in for deputy in the post-Ed leadership ballots she's keeping her head down. Probably quite wise, tbh.

I went a-looking, and looks like she's putting the boot into Corbyn with the rest of them over Brexit. That's a shame, I voted for her.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/07/stella-creasy-labour-party-running-empty

quote:

It would be easy in such circumstances to lapse into misery; to find someone or something to blame - and luxuriate in the safety of opposition believing a scapegoat is enough. But now is the time to recognise our hunger for social justice demands we do more than wring our hands; to think not in abstracts, but focus on finding direct and deliverable answers to the challenges we face. And above all, to stand for something, not just against something. To be against austerity, neo-liberalism or corporation - this only describes what you want to stop, not what you will achieve. Hold a placard, tweet a slogan, buy the T-shirt if it helps, but if you want real change you have to be prepared to work at making it happen in detail as well as in hashtags.
With Britain this badly broken, we cannot shrink into holding repeated meetings about how we wish it were different.
I have never agreed completely with any leader - whether on ID cards, going to war in Iraq or skirting the Financial Transaction Tax - but I have always fought our corner. Labour needs each of us each to put our very all – our 10 out of 10, not 7.5 - in to achieving our aims. Each of us asking the public to take sometimes difficult steps with us because we believe it is in the best interests of the country. That is why I have no confidence in Jeremy Corbyn any more. It is unforgivable to have a leader who, when faced with Brexit and the damage it could do, asked others to go onto the pitch while he benched himself.

Being half-hearted about key issues in a world this complex and challenging does little for those we care for most or to win the argument for progressive outcomes - as is now depressingly clear. The trolls and naysayers will stamp their feet whatever happens - it is our responsibility to chart a different course. Labour doesn’t just need new leadership, but also new passion and determination for social justice and social action. As these forces try to tear us part, let us reject the politics of inertia. Let each of us work to bring Britain back together to face the 21st century with confidence, commitment and common cause.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Tom Watson is good because he takes on hyper intelligent shark people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4oNjTuTz-8

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Prince John posted:

I went a-looking, and looks like she's putting the boot into Corbyn with the rest of them over Brexit. That's a shame, I voted for her.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/07/stella-creasy-labour-party-running-empty

Not a surprise, she refused to work with Corbyn from day one. Hasn't been nearly as visible as a lot of Corbyn critics like Mann & Philips but definitely consistently not been a fan. Despite generally liking the idea of the Co-op Party, a lot of their MPs seem to be kind of bad.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

There were Yes supporters who weren't happy with the idea either but to be honest the SNP had a few proposals like that which were essentially keeping things the same as pre-Indy like having the Queen as head of state which also resulted in some arguments.

The arguments about keeping the Queen as head of state were mainly about how the SNP handled it. Scotland isn't a crown territory, it's a country Brenda is the monarch of. What that means to you may vary, but Salmond decided he would magnanimously accept her as Scotland's head of state when the reality was that she was Scotland's head of state unless and until an independent Scotland abolished the monarchy. That was literally all the human shortbread tin had to say in answer to the question "Will Scotland retain the monarchy?". But instead he was so loving full of himself that he acted like she was Queen only by his permission.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

forkboy84 posted:

Not a surprise, she refused to work with Corbyn from day one. Hasn't been nearly as visible as a lot of Corbyn critics like Mann & Philips but definitely consistently not been a fan. Despite generally liking the idea of the Co-op Party, a lot of their MPs seem to be kind of bad.

It's because most Co-Op Party politicians are Labour first, Co-Op second. Stella's one of the rare exceptions.

Typically, the primarily Labour Co-Op politicians are the ones most opposed to the Co-Op Party allowing membership to non-Labour people, to the consternation of a lot of Green and Lib Dem members of the Co-Op Society.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 1, 2016

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Jedit posted:

The arguments about keeping the Queen as head of state were mainly about how the SNP handled it. Scotland isn't a crown territory, it's a country Brenda is the monarch of. What that means to you may vary, but Salmond decided he would magnanimously accept her as Scotland's head of state when the reality was that she was Scotland's head of state unless and until an independent Scotland abolished the monarchy. That was literally all the human shortbread tin had to say in answer to the question "Will Scotland retain the monarchy?". But instead he was so loving full of himself that he acted like she was Queen only by his permission.

I still can't believe there was an argument for monarchy that went way out of scale then it should have too.

It's like out of all the questions to answer, the loving monarchy is one of the big ones and I'm just putting my hand across my face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Why was marriage a constitutional issue in Ireland in the first place? Who defines marriage in their founding documents? :psyduck:

Note that although marriage wasn't explicitly defined as between a man and a woman in the constitution, the Irish supreme court had consistently interpreted it that way and so overturning all that precedent required a constitutional amendment rather than just have the Dail pass a law making it legal.

• Locked thread