Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mierenneuker posted:

I hear it's improved by duct taping select areas of your screen.

That's not the point of the aspect ratio posts. The point is that Avengers doesn't make good use of its relatively tall aspect ratio, which is a fair point to make about a movie's cinematography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That's not the point of the aspect ratio posts. The point is that Avengers doesn't make good use of its relatively tall aspect ratio, which is a fair point to make about a movie's cinematography.
Don't bring reasoned criticisms into this, Marvel hater.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The interesting thing about the BvS complaints (especially comparisons to the MCU) is that it creates an implicit statement: being a superhero is only moral if you have complete control over your facilities and environment. If you don't, then you're being "too risky"/"a danger to society"/et all.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Well, I mean, that's kinda the plot of Civil War.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It was also something the cinematographer did in Civil War to "fix" the way Avengers was shot.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

computer parts posted:

The interesting thing about the BvS complaints (especially comparisons to the MCU) is that it creates an implicit statement: being a superhero is only moral if you have complete control over your facilities and environment. If you don't, then you're being "too risky"/"a danger to society"/et all.

Why is The Hulk on the Avengers then? His whole thin g is that he isn't in control. He's far more dangerous than Superman, even if Supes is way stronger in this version.

In the comics, The Hulk has a long history of causing untold amounts of property damage during various rampages. (never killed anyone though. SOD really needed for that one)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NikkolasKing posted:

Why is The Hulk on the Avengers then? His whole thin g is that he isn't in control. He's far more dangerous than Superman, even if Supes is way stronger in this version.

In the comics, The Hulk has a long history of causing untold amounts of property damage during various rampages. (never killed anyone though. SOD really needed for that one)

His whole arc in Avengers and Ultron (even though the latter regresses the former's character arc) is about exactly that theme. They even say so on screen. That's why he leaves at the end of Ultron.

The real reason why he's on the Avengers is because "It looks cool".

computer parts fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 4, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

computer parts posted:

This is true of pretty much all power fantasy fiction.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

NikkolasKing posted:

It the Ultimate version, Hulk kills hundreds of civilians. Great comic, but the Hulk dialogue was some of the most cringeworthy writing I have ever seen in any medium.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This is true of pretty much all power fantasy fiction.

Which is why power fantasies are often boring.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It the Ultimate version, Hulk kills hundreds of civilians. Great comic, but the Hulk dialogue was some of the most cringeworthy writing I have ever seen in any medium.

"Hulk STRAIGHT!"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The best thing would be to just let go of the whole silly "Marvel movies walk like this, but DC movies walk like this" false dichotomy. They're all just comic book movies. All different, all the same.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I might agree if it wasn't so obvious that DC is trying copy the success of the MCU. When something attempts to imitate something, and fails, its hard not to notice if you're familiar with both things.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I might agree if it wasn't so obvious that DC is trying copy the success of the MCU. When something attempts to imitate something, and fails, its hard not to notice if you're familiar with both things.

It's quite clear they're not trying to copy them.

Like they are quite clearly trying to develop a style that's inherently distinct from the MCU. Both films that have been released, Suicide Squad, and all of the still to come films all back this up.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

when people tell me who directed a movie i'm like, who cares ?? a movie is a movie

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

computer parts posted:

It's quite clear they're not trying to copy them.

Well if you believe this than we totally disagree. Perhaps DC attempting to create a cinematic universe was just a coincidence? Even Hasbro is trying to create a cinematic universe now.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Your limitation is that you are familiar with only two things. MCU was inspired by the success of Xmen 3: Last Stand.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Well if you believe this than we totally disagree.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Additionally: Warner Brothers' attempt at 'copying the success of the MCU' was Green Lantern.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

dc and marvel... to me, who is extremely woke, they are but the same. [as the conversation continues it becomes clear i'm thinking of snickers and mars bars]

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Additionally: Warner Brothers' attempt at 'copying the success of the MCU' was Green Lantern.

100% agree on this. They took the Iron Man template, but couldn't quite capture the quality of it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Kal-L posted:

100% agree on this. They took the Iron Man template, but couldn't quite capture the quality of it.

They took the Iron Man 2 template.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

oddium posted:

dc and marvel... to me, who is extremely woke, they are but the same. [as the conversation continues it becomes clear i'm thinking of snickers and mars bars]
someone so woke should be aware of the tragic backstory of the peanuts in snickers bruh

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Shared universes are nothing new at all, the Universal Monsters were all over that poo poo back in the 1930s and shared universes have been a staple of superhero comicbooks almost from the start of the genre. Cinematic superhero shared universes are a relatively recent phenomenon* but the TV superheroes have been doing crossovers and guest appearances for ages, starting with the Batman/Green Hornet crossover back in the 60s and followed by a whole bunch more examples in the following decades.

Shared universes were also a hell of a lot wackier back in the 70s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4GqlinBGQE

* The 1984 Supergirl movie was apparently in a shared universe with the Christopher Reeve Superman movies since they both had the same actor playing Jimmy Olsen but it was such a lovely film that everyone's happy to pretend it never happened.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 4, 2016

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Obviously both things are true and people just have different definitions of "copy": DC is trying to do a shared universe which Marvel pioneered (at least in modern superhero films) but they are trying to make a distinctive style. They are also taking the opposite approach and starting with the crossover movie(s) before splitting them off. (<- I don't count MoS in this because they decided to use it as the starter film after the fact)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Your limitation is that you are familiar with only two things. MCU was inspired by the success of Xmen 3: Last Stand.

It pains me that we live in a world where X3 is a success

Guy A. Person posted:

They are also taking the opposite approach and starting with the crossover movie(s) before splitting them off. (<- I don't count MoS in this because they decided to use it as the starter film after the fact)

To me this just feels like them trying to play catchup. The Avengers is not as universally hated as this thread would lead you to believe.

Nobody claimed that Marvel invented shared universes. But you can't seriously say that the current trends aren't a direct result of Marvels huge success.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 4, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

TetsuoTW posted:

someone so woke should be aware of the tragic backstory of the peanuts in snickers bruh

this superficial detail is irrelevant to me. candy is candy

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Kal-L posted:

Exactly.

After the failure of Green Lantern and the success of Man Of Steel, Warner Bros returned to a Batman Vs Superman concept that had already been laid out back in 2002 - putting Snyder/Nolan team in charge. (Man Of Steel was already a counterpart to Batman Begins anyways.) Snyder then delivered a movie with plot ties to Man Of Steel and various allusions to the Dark Knight films, but that is ultimately a thematic sequel to Watchmen.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

computer parts posted:

Which is why power fantasies are often boring.

The true power fantasy embraces collateral damage and unintended consequences, reveling in a might so spectacular that it outreaches your perception.

"If you can control your power, you don't have enough." -Wild Mage paragon path, Player's Handbook 2, Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

It pains me that we live in a world where X3 is a success

To me this just feels like them trying to play catchup. The Avengers is not as universally hated as this thread would lead you to believe.

Nobody claimed that Marvel invented shared universes. But you can't seriously say that the current trends aren't a direct result of Marvels huge success.

Your thinking is disorganized. You are mixing up popularity with the amount of money made, and then mixing that up with whatever you think you like more, using those terms pretty much interchangeably.

If your point was that corporations strive to make money, then you would be correct (albeit in a limited and pointless sense). But that's not your aim, is it? Your aim is to show that one corporation is 'trying to be loved' more than another.

So we end up these bizarre fantasies about, ultimately, economics - what you perceive to be your intimate, two-sided relationship to these corporations. Where the profits earned by Fox "don't count" because you didn't love X-Men III, and the profits earned by Disney count extra because they "weren't trying".

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 4, 2016

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Shared universes were also a hell of a lot wackier back in the 70s:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4GqlinBGQE
The Flintstones and The Thing never had a crossover. That's just the intro to an anthology show, which first featured a Flintstones episodes, then a Thing episode (and this Thing was rather different from the Marvel Thing).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i didn't actually finish the film last night becasue i went to sleep because like man of steel its way too loving long but i liked it more than most marvel films

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jose posted:

i didn't actually finish the film last night becasue i went to sleep because like man of steel its way too loving long but i liked it more than most marvel films

It's still long, but this is helped if you just watch the superior theatrical cut.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kurzon posted:

The Flintstones and The Thing never had a crossover. That's just the intro to an anthology show, which first featured a Flintstones episodes, then a Thing episode (and this Thing was rather different from the Marvel Thing).

Are you saying that cartoons lied to us via the medium of opening credits???? This is unprecedented!!

(The description of the video I posted points out that they never actually meet in the episodes)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Ok you owned me pretty hard here. Perhaps there's some stuff I'm fuzzy on. I'm largely unaware of the impact of X3 because up until this point I didn't think it had any, due to being one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Just watched BvS Ultimate Cut:

Is this out already? I thought it was coming out July 16?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

All credit to SMG for the observation, but I had some time and thought it might be interesting to see the difference in motion:

http://i.imgur.com/DhZ5wNJ.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/W8hmdpU.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/orrkxGg.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/l5CQ6PS.gifv

I particularly like the shots of Hawkeye through the car window and Cap jumping in the reframed version of the second clip.

Chairman Capone posted:

Is this out already? I thought it was coming out July 16?

Available for digital download purchase now. Blu-ray/DVD is July 16.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 4, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sure we can. There'd been several attempts to create shared superhero cinematic universes by the time the MCU really took off, Marvel were just the first guys to commit to a longterm plan and stick to it through the inevitable rough patches until they got the formula right. DC tried it back in the 80s with Superman and Supergirl but ran the franchise into the ground and abandoned it. The Catwoman film was originally supposed to be a spinoff of the 90s Batman films with Michelle Pfeiffer reprising the role and Tim Burton directing but it got stuck in development hell and turned into poo poo. Columbia had been planning on expanding their Spider-Man franchise with a Venom spinoff film as far back as 2008 but they decided to reboot the whole mess when Raimi got sick of their meddling and walked. Also the first few MCU films weren't nearly as popular as The Dark Knight or Raimi's first two Spider-Man films so you can't really say that DC were trying to copy Marvel when they tried to start their own shared universe with Green Lantern, the MCU films weren't anywhere near being the most successful superhero films at that point in time.

Studios had been drooling over the idea of shared cinematic superhero universes way before the MCU became a huge success. We can't even say that DC is trying to copy the MCU now because, as computer parts pointed out, they've gone for a completely different tone (although I suspect that Suicide Squad will crib an awful lot from Guardians of the Galaxy).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm still waiting for Dracula to be a bad guy in a DC or Marvel movie. He was in both's comic books! In Marvel he had a Castle on the Moon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm still waiting for Dracula to be a bad guy in a DC or Marvel movie. He was in both's comic books! In Marvel he had a Castle on the Moon!

It's not allowed because Christopher Lee is dead

• Locked thread