Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Punisher MAX may be one of the best comics ever, period. Other than that, I don't know if there's ever been much of note out of the line. Alias was pretty good, I guess.

It's basically Punisher, Alias and maybe the first bit of Supreme Power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Supreme Power is one of my favorite comics ever. The first volume (18 issues) is definitely worth reading.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh. That's pretty lame.

Welp. I guess I'll start reading Ultimate Spider-Man. I hope Peter Parker doesn't die!

Yeah but the person it was is not a new character and makes sense.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Toxxupation posted:

Okay, just to be clear the "recommended" US-M reading order from beginning to SW is:

Ultimate Spider-Man 1-45
Ultimate Spider-Man 0.5
Ultimate Spider-Man 46-53
Ultimate Six
Ultimate Spider-Man 54-85
Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 1
Ultimate Spider-Man 86-105
Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 2
Ultimate Spider-Man 106-120
Ultimate Spider-Man Annual 3
Ultimate Spider-Man 121-133
Ultimatum: Spider-Man Requiem
Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man 1-15
Ultimate Spider-Man 150-160
Ultimate Fallout
Ultimate Comics Spider-Man 1-12
Spider-Men 1-5
The Ultimates #13 – #14
Ultimate Spider-Man #13 – #14
The Ultimates #15
Ultimate Spider-Man #15 – #16
Ultimates #16
Ultimate Spider-Man #17
The Ultimates #17 – #18
Ultimate Spider-Man #18
The Ultimates #18.1
Ultimate Spider-Man 16.1, 19-28
Cataclysm
Miles Morales The Ultimate Spider-Man 1-5
Ultimate Spider-Man 200
All-New X-Men: Ultimate Adventure 31-36
All-New Ultimates 1-12
Miles Morales The Ultimate Spider-Man 6-12

I would strongly recommend against reading All-New Ultimates (it's legit the worst run of comics I've ever read and doesn't affect absolutely anything else, it's basically a sidestory that's written terribly and fucks up the good characterization work that Bendis put into the people who eventually form the team - think Gillen's YA but an unfocused boring mess that makes everyone in it look like dumb assholes) , but if you're a completionist make sure to read it before the final arcs of Miles Morales The Ultimate Spider-Man.

Anyways yeah, have fun, Bendis' USM run is mostly really really good and even when it's not, most of the time it's not his fault.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Toxxupation posted:

I would strongly recommend against reading All-New Ultimates (it's legit the worst run of comics I've ever read and doesn't affect absolutely anything else, it's basically a sidestory that's written terribly and fucks up the good characterization work that Bendis put into the people who eventually form the team - think Gillen's YA but an unfocused boring mess that makes everyone in it look like dumb assholes)

Ooof, I'd be interested in hearing more about this. I had no idea it was that bad.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

WickedHate posted:

Ooof, I'd be interested in hearing more about this. I had no idea it was that bad.

I'll spoil this since it's end-of-the-Ultimate-Universe poo poo for someone who's never read it.

You know Cataclysm right? Basically: Bendis wrote a really good Ultimate line-wide crossover event, possibly the only one of its type, and it ends with Thor and Captain America "dying". Tony, in grief, decides that he can't lead the Ultimates any more so Jessica Drew steps up and goes, "Okay, then we're gonna carry the banner, the next generation". And the whole team is basically everyone Bendis spent a lot of time turning into really good characters in the pages of USM - Cloak and Dagger, Kitty Pryde, Jessica Drew, Miles Morales, and Lana Baumgartner (Bombshell).

I was so hyped because this was all of Bendis' best characterization work forming a superteam, and basically the writer on All-New Ultimates completely and totally hosed it up every step of the way.

I mean, to be clear, the art is terrible, I mean just the worst art ever, and this is the debut of the Ultimate Spider-Woman redesign which took one of the best costume designs ever and turned it into one of the worst, it's kind of incredible.

But even disregarding that it tries to be a "young", "hip" comic the way that, again, Gillen's Young Avengers was where it's got one story that the team is trying to address while they're getting chased down by an enemy, but in contrast to YA which was the destruction of humanity via an invasion of a mind-controlling parasite that targeted all adults, All-New Ultimates is...drugs I think? It's like, the lowest-stakes poo poo imaginable, with these "all new superteam" basically acting out a PSA and trying to shut down the drug trade in some section of Manhattan. It's the least epic sounding poo poo imaginable.

And this is on top of the characterization work, which is rancid. Cloak and Dagger break up for no reason and then get back together for no reason. Which, considering Cloak and Dagger's whole gimmick is that they're in true love and are in a symbiotic relationship, makes the sheer nonchalance that the book treats them breaking up feel like the writer fundamentally did not understand the characters. Jessica Drew realizes she's gay and, well, that's it. That's all she does. She realizes she's gay, tries to kinda-sorta hit on Kitty Pryde, and then just like, hangs around as the leader of the team. It feels like, again, the guy who wrote this read Gillen's YA run which dealt with sexuality all the time and just wedged in a plot point that Bendis was clearly building to and then did nothing with it. It's more insulting than if she had just stayed closeted. Kitty Pryde mine as well not exist, she's so boring. Bombshell, probably my favorite original character in all of the Ultimate imprint, gets all of her edge filed down.

Miles gets it arguably the worst, because the book basically sets him up as a dumb horny bastard for the complications to happen. Like, a villainess invites him up to a rooftop, alone, in a clear trap, but he goes anyways because she's like super hot. And that's basically how the book sets up its endgame. It's just awful.

It's a one story arc, but feels like it's faffing about all the time - I mean, for god's sake there's literally a beach episode in the middle of the run that doesn't even work as decent character work. It's this total mess of a book that feels like it squandered literally all of the potential from both Cataclysm and Bendis in building a team of all of his pet favorite characters that he put the legwork into making compelling figures. It's just so loving bad. It's unbelievable how bad it is.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Toxxupation posted:

Miles gets it arguably the worst, because the book basically sets him up as a dumb horny bastard for the complications to happen. Like, a villainess invites him up to a rooftop, alone, in a clear trap, but he goes anyways because she's like super hot. And that's basically how the book sets up its endgame. It's just awful.

Huh, just like Batman & Robin.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh. That's pretty lame.

Not sure how you were expecting him to be killing the real Doom when we all know Goat-Doom left the universe way earlier in the run.

Everything about that event was dumb and terrible.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

Not sure how you were expecting him to be killing the real Doom when we all know Goat-Doom left the universe way earlier in the run.

Everything about that event was dumb and terrible.

I figured he came back in some side book I didn't read.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
It's weird because I like Fiffe in COPRA, even including the way he handles his not-suicide-squad characterization, and I like Milonogiannis's art on his Image and indie stuff, but they both totally fall flat in Ultimates.

When he comes on around issue.... 5? Milonogiannis does his weird sci-fi Ghost in the Shell cars in the backgrounds but they feel actively *wrong* slotted into the Ultimate Universe where the visual style is already established. There are parts in his issues that should have the crazy energy I know he can do for fight scenes, but they just feel static and lazy.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I'm not going to defend the art choices (which I didn't mind as much as most people but didn't think were above replacement level) but I really liked Fiffe's Ultimates just for it being an exercise in like, 1980s Marvel nostalgia that doesn't really exist anywhere else. You get tons of Silver/Bronze age nostalgia and reinvention, and you even get smatterings of like Silvestri-into-Lee X-Men nostalgia, and all sorts of efforts into "rehabbing" "1990s" characters, but who is re-imagining Gruenwald Cap and Stern Avengers and Michelinie Spider-Man for the 21st century? No one, at least outside of Ultimates.

He actually posted a "curtain call" of all of the influences when the book ended, including some concept art he did that I would have like to have seen better translated to the book itself.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Waid/Ramos are on a new Champions book starting in the fall. Team is Miles, Ms Marvel, Nova, Amadeus-Hulk, Viv Vision and lil' Cyclops.

http://comicbook.com/2016/07/05/marvel-announces-new-champions-series/

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Feels like it's going to last for all of six issues but I have hopes. A good Marvel Teen Titans would be great, was sort of let down by the last Young Avengers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So is ANAD Avengers ending or just getting a new lineup?

Either way, I'll def be checking this out.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Dacap posted:

Waid/Ramos are on a new Champions book starting in the fall. Team is Miles, Ms Marvel, Nova, Amadeus-Hulk, Viv Vision and lil' Cyclops.

gently caress. YES.

Holy poo poo, this rules so hard. Thank god Vision's gonna have a legacy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I wish they could commit properly to a new generation for once. It's me, I'm the world's only Surge fan.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Toxxupation posted:

gently caress. YES.

Holy poo poo, this rules so hard. Thank god Vision's gonna have a legacy.

Their impulse is one of my all time favorite runs. It is so good.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm really interested in seeing the Vision family as a part of the larger Marvel universe.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dacap posted:

Other than Cho-Hulk, I am so about this team, and its possible it will make Cho interesting. I never thought about bringing Vision's family from the book, but holy hell that's a good idea.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah I am amazingly excited for that book.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I thought they couldn't call a book Champions?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

twistedmentat posted:

Other than Cho-Hulk, I am so about this team, and its possible it will make Cho interesting. I never thought about bringing Vision's family from the book, but holy hell that's a good idea.

I actually wasn't much into Chulk either and then at X-O's suggestion I read up on Totally Awesome Hulk, and it's a fun book with neat ideas. He's not anywhere near my favorite character ever and of that group is the person I'm by-far least interested in seeing, but he's gone from "totally forgettable/basically unnecessary" to "A good character" off his solo.

And from what little I've read of young Scott from his tie-ins with Guardians/Nova they actually did a lot to rehabilitate the character, which is saying something considering how much I despise Old Cyclops. Maybe I should give his solo where he's adventuring with his dad a shot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I like Deadpool MAX just fine.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Toxxupation posted:

Is Legendary Star-Lord, the Star-Lord SW mini, or the current Star-Lord ongoing good?
No, sorta, and no.

Dacap posted:

This is exactly the book I've been wanting since ANADA was first announced last year.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's so weird to seen Young Cyclops drawn as like 13 since even the original young Cyclops was a beefy dude. I don't mind it, it's just a little surreal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Well, part of that is Jack Kirby drawing everyone as way beefier than necessary.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
Viv Vision and Amadeus Cho (and kid Cyclops, I guess) joining the ANAD trio? Written by Mark Waid?

:rms:

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Little Mac posted:

I thought they couldn't call a book Champions?

They've settled the legal stuff around that and can use it again

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

The Great Lakes Avengers are back!

quote:

GREAT LAKES AVENGERS #1
Written by ZAC GORMAN
Penciled by WILL ROBSON
Cover by WILL ROBSON
Variant cover by MICHAEL ALLRED

“All New, All Different?” No, thank you! New things are bad and different things are scary! Instead, why not join everybody’s least favorite Super Hero team, The Great Lakes Avengers in their brand new—but not too brand new—ongoing series, Same Old, Same Old, Great Lakes Avengers! When the team gets reinstated as permanent members of the Avengers and uprooted to Detroit, the GLA has one more shot at Super Hero glory…but can they answer the call? Do they even have 4G coverage here? Find out!”

Sumo fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 5, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I was about to say "wow I wouldn't care about this at all but I'm all in for the Allred art", but I guess that's just the one cover. drat.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Hell yes, Viv Vision! I don't even care if it's kind of a spoiler for Vision itself, I'm so glad at least one of them is sticking around!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
She's the only one of them who hasn't brutally murdered anyone yet right?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

BrianWilly posted:

Has Vin?

Regardless, I am psyched for the Champions because my God what a good team, and also very pleased to learn that at least somebody's gonna survive Vision. Not sure if I'm going to keep reading ANAD Avengers, though, since all the good characters are leaving.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I thought you meant of the Champions and was like "holy poo poo what did i miss with Ms. Marvel?"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So with Camps and USAvengers, is everyone guessing we'll see new writers on New/Avengers? Anyone disproving that on Twitter?

e: I guess USA might take the place of New.

Tom King woulda made an exciting Avengers author :sigh:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 5, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

No, but I think the end of the last issue of Vision implied pretty heavily that Victor just killed Vin.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh I thought maybe Vin killed that classmate but I was wrong.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Dacap posted:

For the first time in a long time I am probably going to actually buy a book monthly, instead of waiting for it to come to Unlimited. I am happy about every one of these characters.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Making the two wild, unjustified assumptions that there's no roster overlap between the Champions and main Avengers team, and that the current ANAD Avengers otherwise stick around there—that leaves a super traditional Avengers squad: Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Wasp, and Vision. But 60% of them are recent legacies taking up those super-identities, so still very New/Different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Teenage Fansub posted:

So with Camps and USAvengers, is everyone guessing we'll see new writers on New/Avengers? Anyone disproving that on Twitter?

e: I guess USA might take the place of New.

Tom King woulda made an exciting Avengers author :sigh:

Assuming the announced lineup of USA is complete, there's still plenty of characters left in New for a book and Ewing has room on his plate with Contest dead.

ANAD less so, with the three kids gone and especially if Tony bites it in CW2 like people are guessing he might.

• Locked thread