Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

symbolic posted:

Just curious, when you talk about Paper Mario, are you talking about the original PM or the PM series in general?

Can you even call it a series when they only made two games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
more like vaper mario: thousand year snoooooore

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Your Computer posted:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The original concept for the BFG was a single projectile that fired dozens of cluster shots in its wake, but the technology wasn't advanced enough at the time. Hence, invisible shotgun lasers.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Your Computer posted:

I like the way you think.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

jerkstoresup posted:

Do they run Chocolate Doom?

The green ball does contact damage, and then a second later there is an invisible cone that comes out from the player like a shotgun blast.

Sometimes it's Chocolate Doom, sometimes other sourceports, varies by runner. Take a look: http://www.speedrun.com/doom1

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

if a trilogy is 3 what is 2? a biology?

anyway I've never played TTYD all the way through but I begrudgingly accept that it can kind of live up to the Paper Mario name. anything after that is not even worth thinking about

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Being a puzzle game enthusiast I'm genuinely curious why you think that. Tetris Attack is pretty fun.

i dunno why they do these things as a race and don't have them play against each other since the games are kinda made for 1v1 play, maybe it becomes a blowup unless you have evenly skilled players

With no way to attack your opponent (in fact garbage blocks give you more pieces to work with when cleared), Puzzle League matches devolve into stalling and waiting to see who dies first. Like if the runners, who are theoretically the best players in the world, are getting stonewalled by AI in a 20 year old game, there's a problem with the core game mechanics.

SRS Tetris also has this issue, and if you watch VS superplay matches on YouTube you'll notice that while it all looks impressive, matches are decided by who makes a mistake first. There have been Tetris games in the past where you could directly influence your opponent's board state depending on where you made your line clears, and those games were well-regarded competitively.

Conversely games like Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine overly reward offense, since garbage actively hinders your ability to make matches on the board. Since you have no way to defend yourself matches devolve into who can chain high enough to send enough garbage to fill the opponent's board first. This was fixed in subsequent Puyo games where you can offset incoming garbage with your own chains, and unsurprisingly the metagame has developed techniques that are basically the puzzle equivalent of fighting game footsies.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Majuju posted:

more like vaper mario: thousand year snoooooore

drunken officeparty posted:

anyway I've never played TTYD all the way through but I begrudgingly accept that it can kind of live up to the Paper Mario name. anything after that is not even worth thinking about

TTYD is amazing and I will fight you both at 3 pm at the flagpole.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

A duology.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
A sequel. :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
HAIL SATAN

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

symbolic posted:

TTYD is amazing and I will fight you both at 3 pm at the flagpole.

when the original is literally and unironically the greatest video game ever made i dunno man

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
TTYD has the train chapter it's the better game

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

imo call it a diptych. I played the SiN diptych when they came out.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
adamantine i'll shove adamantine up your rear end

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

lol Satan's a bitch, DOOMslayer would rip is loving throat out no problem.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

dragon enthusiast posted:

With no way to attack your opponent (in fact garbage blocks give you more pieces to work with when cleared), Puzzle League matches devolve into stalling and waiting to see who dies first. Like if the runners, who are theoretically the best players in the world, are getting stonewalled by AI in a 20 year old game, there's a problem with the core game mechanics.

SRS Tetris also has this issue, and if you watch VS superplay matches on YouTube you'll notice that while it all looks impressive, matches are decided by who makes a mistake first. There have been Tetris games in the past where you could directly influence your opponent's board state depending on where you made your line clears, and those games were well-regarded competitively.

Conversely games like Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine overly reward offense, since garbage actively hinders your ability to make matches on the board. Since you have no way to defend yourself matches devolve into who can chain high enough to send enough garbage to fill the opponent's board first. This was fixed in subsequent Puyo games where you can offset incoming garbage with your own chains, and unsurprisingly the metagame has developed techniques that are basically the puzzle equivalent of fighting game footsies.

Tetris Attack is one of the few like, mainstay puzzle games I never really got stuck into so I'm not terribly well versed in its mechanics and it's not terribly apparent from watching it either, so thanks for this post.

also lol I know about early puyo games not having any ability to clear garbage and jesus christ I don't know how I enjoyed playing that game with people before they fixed that, probably because we were all too rear end to really have the game devolve into "whoever shits a chain out of X size first wins by default".

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

doom guy just really was excited about being a dad :smith:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
this doom city looks like its straight out of minecraft

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KKKLIP ART posted:

doom guy just really was excited about being a dad :smith:

RIP in peace AND TEARs of sorrow

D^ŪM

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
That was a pretty good Dark Forces clone

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Vakal posted:

Just let CapnClever comment all the games.

Poor bastard is stuck at some ungodly hour playing Monster Bash. Wish I could tune in to hear him, but I'll just have to watch the VOD later.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Familyjules is cool and all but the synthwave remix is the best necrodancer track

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

New Concept Hole posted:

That was a pretty good Dark Forces clone

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Is this drum n bass from a game?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I forgot that this UT3 version of forgone Destruction was good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1WlOGizGJM

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Can we all just come together to appreciate how awesome of a title "Knee Deep in the Dead" is

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Grizlor posted:

Is this drum n bass from a game?

It definitely is. I know I heard it from a game, but I can't remember which one. :(

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i too played doom a lot when I was four

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

voltcatfish posted:

i too played doom a lot when I was four

Same, my dad put the invulnerability cheat on and just let me go ham on it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That's a good donation.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Didn't hear the whole donation, but I heard the word "agitate" so they were referencing this right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJcf0aOwmiA

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Wait, Cody Rhodes?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I played Spear of Destiny instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
LOL if you didn't get started on the genre with Catacomb 3D.

• Locked thread