Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

nerdbot posted:

I get loving tired of people saying they stopped letting these events be fun and overdo the professionalism but I felt like there was a nice balance of that homey sort of "bunch of friends hanging out till 2am at a wedding reception" vibe that I loved about the really old GDQs, and the sort of big event showmanship with high production values and giant crowds that I also really like. This is really the best they've done it.

Like I said in an earlier post the only really bad thing is that the few runs that did suck stood out way more. The Trials run wouldn't have felt so out of place in GDQs of old but when it was the longest bit of dead air at the whole event this year it felt more agonizing than it would have.

Part of that was scheduling. There have been Trials runs in previous *GDQs, but they tended to be part of the graveyard shift or the early morning and it's much more suited there. Right after a high energy slot was probably the worst place to put it this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm watching the Harry Potter: Chamber of Secrets run and I hadn't realized how much nostalgia I had for this dumb game. I must have played it half a dozen times as a kid. Now I want to see a speedrun of the Sorcerer's Stone one, pretty sure I played that one even more.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm watching the Harry Potter: Chamber of Secrets run and I hadn't realized how much nostalgia I had for this dumb game. I must have played it half a dozen times as a kid. Now I want to see a speedrun of the Sorcerer's Stone one, pretty sure I played that one even more.

I was really hoping it was one of the unbearably lovely GBA Harry Potter games but this was fine too. Say what you want about the rest of the awful block but I really enjoyed the Eds and Potter

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

nerdbot posted:

I was really hoping it was one of the unbearably lovely GBA Harry Potter games but this was fine too. Say what you want about the rest of the awful block but I really enjoyed the Eds and Potter

I also played... I think it was the very first GBC Sorcerer's Stone game. It was an unbelievably terrible RPG and I couldn't beat it.

That kinda marked the time when I started getting wise to the concept of licensed games generally being poo poo.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

beep by grandpa posted:

In Memory...
"Your fight is over. Rest well friends, we'll meet again soon enough."

Hey fellas!! We made it :):) All in all this was basically as perfect a GDQ as one could possibly produce and definitely the most I've enjoyed watching one in the 4 years I've been following this event. The technical side of things were a 10/10 and honestly the only thing I can even think of to improve the experience next year would be to update the way the schedule looks (I have a hard time finding things and wish you could make it snap to the current run or auto-highlight completed runs as the run goes forward. Would also like additional info such as the console it's being run on).

I have a lot here so I'll try to keep my comments brief. I put them in order of appearance so it should be easy to add what interests you to your Watch Later playlist from the official GDQ account here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz8YL4HVC87WhzH2-56QXDOwoKNYkdCEV
Backup link to find the twitch vods here https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/4r4pyp/sgdq_vod_thread_2016/

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Race) - very tight race, lots of lead switches
Catherine (1 Player, 2 Controllers) - was super cool, see run category
Dishonored - lots of blinking around, owns if you like high mobility stuff like me
Star Wars: Jedi Academy - owns. it's true. all of it.
Curse of Issyos (Coop) - great fun, funny couch commentary from these two knuckleheads
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (Low% Souls) - super tight
Castlavania: Symphony of the Night (Blindfolded) - contains the biggest "runner vindicated" moment of all time
Freedom Planet - cool speedgame, even cooler, great runner
Dustforce DX (SS All Levels) - :stare:
Super Meat Boy (Dark Ending) - owns
Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (1-Hand Insane Difficulty) - run by our own halfcoordinated, great speech @ at the end
Braid - it's Braid
Demon's Crest (100%) - very tight
Silent Hill 3 - great chill runner commentary
Resident Evil 2 (Leon B) - same runner, super chill
Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 (Sonic's Story (No MSG)) - it's sonic 06
Ultimate Doom (UV-Speed) - it's doom. ooooooowwwwwns
Judge Dredd: Dredd vs. Death (COOP Jury) - i am the law lol
Deus Ex - super tight
Jak & Daxter (100%) - :siren: if there is one run you must watch it is this one :siren:
Bionic commando (100%) - tight
Gimmick! - it's gimmick, gimmick always owns
Tetris: The Grandmaster Series Exhibition - :pcgaming:
Two Worlds - this is prob my favorite speedrun. it's <5 minutes long.
The Witness - i loving hate this game but the speedrun is great to watch
Kirby Air Ride (All Tracks) - idk but this run just made me want to buy the game
Super Mario World (Low %) - VERY tight, very hype crowd moments, grandma%
Super Mario Maker Relay Race - super fun, improved lots from last year
Pepsiman (Pepsiman Cutscene%) - it's pepsiman. must watch+
Aladdin SNES (The Good One, 3-way race) - ribbedkilla owns
Typing of the Dead run by SA's own Peaches__, super chill
TASBot Exhibition (Mario Land 2, VVVVVV, 4-Mario Game Simu-Play) - it's the TAS bot!
Final Fantasy VI (Sketch Glitch) - just skip to 3hr35min because

Super Metroid (4-way Any% Race) RIP
Super Mario RPG - I love this game so i'm biased but this was just super chill and a perfect way to end the marathon as its last official run - they let the entire credit sequence and everything and this nerd here actually got the nerdchills at the "and...time" as "THE END" came up on the screen :unsmith:

poo poo runs you should avoid (or watch if that's your thing). tbh besides these two I don't even know if I can say that any other runs were "bad".
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger - blatantly & arrogantly ignores the Pacifist% donation incentive people dropped $5000 on
Trials Fusion - just very poorly planned. of 1hr30 maybe 15min are worth watching in this poster's opinion

Best in Show SGDQ2016 - Jak & Daxter 100% by Bonesaw577, congratulations !

My favorite post in this entire retarded thread (it's regarding Bonesaw's 'journey' during his run):

Runnerup:

Thank "U" for reading, hope you all have a great week! It has been a pleasure and a delight shitposting with you all :tipshat:

good post here

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Pepsi Man for TV Game.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The Computer in Pepsi City is the title of my new indie solo album

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
For as good as the Jak and Daxter run gets in its latter half I think my favorite part is right before the run itself begins. The tech crew tells Bonesaw to stall and for a few seconds he goes in to a silent panic takes because he has no idea what to do in that moment. It's definitely a good sign of things to come.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I need to edit my post to add that with jak & daxter you do not skim through the run, you do not start or bail midway, you make the time & watch the entire thing before you say anything about it. It's like a symphony.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

LethalGeek posted:

People seemed to understand there is a time for WHAAAAA and managed to punctuate moments sometimes!

I about died when they kept doing the slightly more excited "WAAA" on each wall jump in the Mario Maker level where the admins made them impose a time limit.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

"Duuuuuuuuuuuude" guy in the Demon's Crest run is hilarious

Dude :buddy:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

victrix posted:

"Duuuuuuuuuuuude" guy in the Demon's Crest run is hilarious

Dude :buddy:

"I gotta stop saying dude AWDUDE"

Those stoners are precious.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
What's the grandma% SMW run?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Cyberventurer posted:

What's the grandma% SMW run?

Rezephos' SMW Low%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvjzLvfRziA

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Wandering the hotel the day after is always a bit hard after all the speedfriends have left. :smith:

Heading to the airport in an hour. See you guys in six months.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

UraniumAnchor posted:

Wandering the hotel the day after is always a bit hard after all the speedfriends have left. :smith:

Resistance runback in January?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

UraniumAnchor posted:

Thanks again for another awesome event. :)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

UraniumAnchor posted:

The weather probably isn't helping the mood much either. Thanks again for a great event, UA.

Side note: Do you know if SGDQ is going to be in Minneapolis on a more permanent basis? That's two summers in a row you guys were in the Twin Cities and I thought I heard that it was partially because one of your supplies is based here.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

It'd be nice if it stay in Minneapolis because it's close to me, but I'd understand if they felt like moving west for SGDQ because they do AGDQ more on the East Coast.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ah, the final runs are up on YouTube now. If you didn't watch the Pokemon Red race, here's what I consider a highlight from that:
Watch the top-left runner (it should start 1:59:30 in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgcZP-uv60A&t=7168s

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

UraniumAnchor posted:

Didn't watch too much live cause I was on holiday, but thanks to you and all the crew for another Good Time (TM).
And extra props for fast uploads. Always good for those of us in not-US timezones (although there was good content at good hours for us too, it's not like all we had was barren wastelands of Ty the Tasmanian Tiger repeats). Greetings from Germany Greece.

Cheers for the next ones.

Maybe by AGDQ I'll have tried running something myself.

Mierenneuker posted:

Ah, the final runs are up on YouTube now

YouTube seems to be missing the FFVI run, for what that's worth.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

The weather probably isn't helping the mood much either. Thanks again for a great event, UA.

its a lovely day, in that its not 90 degrees

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mandatory lesbian posted:

When I posted that it was dark and cloudy as heck. The clouds have since broken up, but by then UA was probably on his plane.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

beep by grandpa posted:

I need to edit my post to add
Sorry I only got this far through the post, can anyone tell me if it gets better? Don't want to waste my time on a boring post

UraniumAnchor posted:

Good luck, have fun fixing the desynched audio and muted VODs on YouTube later on

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Yet.

It's humid as gently caress and gonna hit 92 today.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

When I posted that it was dark and cloudy as heck. The clouds have since broken up, but by then UA was probably on his plane.

i dont care about the clouds i just like it being cool out

RyokoTK posted:

Yet.

It's humid as gently caress and gonna hit 92 today.

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

We could hold a Minneapolis speed Goon meet :toot:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Studio posted:

I can meet folks for a drink at some point today but then I have to go into hiding to finish my diss revisions starting tomorrow.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Studio posted:

okay but first i have to learn how to do speedruns

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

okay but first i have to learn how to do speedruns

same. My current fastest time for anything is a 4 hour any% super metroid. Maybe I'll learn sonic 3d blast or something

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I want to get into speedrunning Marathon 2 because there is literally zero competition and it's a game I like, but doing it on the hardest difficulty is really tough and the easiest difficulty is boring. :(

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

The speed Goon community accepts non runners :toot:

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Studio posted:

Time to reprise my absolutely terrible Super Meat Boy any% (no wrong warp now, I think) run! :eng101:

...:eng99:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Studio posted:

That's good because goons aren't really into running :v:

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Studio posted:

I'd figure they do since you're the one leading the charge :smug:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this event was a success if only for the fact that nobody had sex with anyone elses wife the we are aware of

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Rewatching the final two Tetris runs in twitch to see the chat and these people are losing their minds in the best way. They can't handle what they're seeing lol

"THIS IS GIVING ME ANXIETY" being my favorite

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Man, getting through the back log is great. I'm almost caught up with what I missed the first two days.

This is making me real sad that I'm going to miss AGDQ. The winter events are so close to me but next year I'm stuck on the backside of the earth in January.

I'll still be making something for AGDQ but I'm hoping Sent is willing to take it....oh..2 months early. Maybe.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Eonwe posted:

this event was a success if only for the fact that nobody had sex with anyone elses wife the we are aware of

If nothing else, they've learned not to write a pastebin about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

TheMadMilkman posted:

If nothing else, they've learned not to write a pastebin about it.

Now it's all about vine and twitter "moments".

Expect a 25 part vine epic in the coming weeks.

• Locked thread