Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Miniature-based games usually operate on grids or hexes anyway, so measurement isn't an issue.

That and for games that don't use grids or hexes, laser distance finders/levels have been a thing that's been in use for years and are cheaper and just as small as this Bagel. That and laser levels also help with determining line of sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

.5% error compared to a tape measure that costs nothing and has a 0% error is pretty bad

lol if you think tape measures have 0% error

This product is still dumb, though. How do they have such larger error? Digital calipipers work on principles that could be adopted here, and they’re very accurate and precise.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

wa27 posted:

Shouldn't the "wheel" mode of measurement be able to measure.... any distance? Why only 10 meters?

On the other hand, would you really want to roll that thing for more than 10 meters?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Really, a loving bluetooth, app-enabled TAPE MEASURE? :cripes:

It seems the only "innovation" people can come up with nowadays is "Take an everyday object and make it interact with your smartphone in a pointless way."

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Collateral Damage posted:

Really, a loving bluetooth, app-enabled TAPE MEASURE? :cripes:

It seems the only "innovation" people can come up with nowadays is "Take an everyday object and make it interact with your smartphone in a pointless way."

That's a bit of a knee-jerk reaction of this thread...

This makes a lot of sense if you're making multiple measurements, e.g., to measure a room. Sure, you can scribble the numbers on a piece of paper like a poor person, but it is a hell of a lot more convenient to have the numbers on your phone, especially for bringing down to the shop to get wallpaper or paint or whatever.

Alternatively to track the length/height of something over time. Again, sure you can do it by hand, but it is more convenient to have it done automatically.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

This product is still dumb, though. How do they have such larger error? Digital calipipers work on principles that could be adopted here, and they’re very accurate and precise.

The point of a tape measure though is that it's error is consistent, and I seriously doubt this is the case here - and that's because they almost certainly use the same mechanism as a digital micrometer.

The problem with that is that it sets a pretty hard speed limit on how fast you can measure something - if you spin the tone wheel so it's passing the sensor faster than the measuring resolution of the circuitry it'll under-read, and slop in the gearing means inconsistent speed can cause it to over-read. That's why, for sensitive measurements, you always close the micrometer afterwards and ensure it returns to zero. If it doesn't, you zero it and try again. Now obviously for tape-measure duties they can get away with much lower gearing because they don't need to be measuring to fractions of a mm so those issues won't be quite as critical, but against that you've got no reliable way of re-zeroing.

Also the string method will suffer from the inconsistent gearing ratio of a piece of string wrapped around a bobbin without something to lay it and pay it out consistently, and the wheel method is entirely reliant on someone being able to push something along a perfectly straight line.

So like you say, sure tape measures can be pretty inconsistent, but if you use the same measure for everything then you're only dealing with the sub-mm fluctuations caused by temperature. This thing will never be able to measure the same distance twice, so it's useless. I kinda like the idea of a tape measure with a voice memo function though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

klafbang posted:

This makes a lot of sense if you're making multiple measurements, e.g., to measure a room. Sure, you can scribble the numbers on a piece of paper like a poor person, but it is a hell of a lot more convenient to have the numbers on your phone, especially for bringing down to the shop to get wallpaper or paint or whatever.
A bit of a specific example, but if I'm taking measurements of a room, it's going to be a lot clearer to just draw a sketch of the room and jot down the measurements on the drawing. :)

Yeah it was a knee jerk reaction. Obviously there is proper innovation as well, but there's definitely a subset of people (especially on kickstarter) who are just trying to shoehorn Bluetooth and appification into everything.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

klafbang posted:

Alternatively to track the length/height of something over time. Again, sure you can do it by hand, but it is more convenient to have it done automatically.

It makes taking multiple measurements a nightmare. Instead of just writing it down on paper and being able to go 25" 26" 25.5" every time you gently caress up a measurement or you retry for more accuracy, you need to go through the extra effort of remembering which number is which. There's the voice recorder on it, but at that point you might as well just have written it down in the first place since you'd be juggling the app and listening to a voice recording.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Guess we jut measure differently :shrug: I have a handful of notes on my phone that are just a list of measurements from moving recently; each for a different purpose and from a different time (one for approximate room sizes, one for wall sizes for paint, one for curtains etc). I can easily remember the order in which I measured things by retracing my steps, the numbers not so much. Just add a voice memo for each group of measurements (say rooms); I'd assume the app would show a little icon for voice memos, so I wouldn't have to listen to it either.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

klafbang posted:

…or you can buy a laser measure for half the price, often with built-in features such as figuring out the area and volume of multiple measurements and keeping track of the last umpteen of them. Also with a fair amount of precision and speed.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
"No more cutting your fingers on metal tape edges." Does this happen? I've never had it happen and I'm pretty good at accidentally hurting myself.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Germstore posted:

"No more cutting your fingers on metal tape edges." Does this happen? I've never had it happen and I'm pretty good at accidentally hurting myself.

Tbh, this needs to be added as an “accident kill” in the latest Hitman.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Platystemon posted:

well not exactly zero but it's not 0.5% (as advertised, it'll almost certainly be worse)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Germstore posted:

I worked as a carpenter/installer for like ten-fifteen years and this happened exactly once.

Oddly, I managed to get tiny papercut like cuts from plastic/vinyl 200' tapes like three or four times.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

bongwizzard posted:

I worked as a carpenter/installer for like ten-fifteen years and this happened exactly once.

Oddly, I managed to get tiny papercut like cuts from plastic/vinyl 200' tapes like three or four times.

I've had it happen about 5 times, but it's not nearly as painful as papercuts. Especially in all the webbing of your hands...

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Even if my tape measure/laser measure had a bluetooth connection and exported every measure into a complete google sketchup blueprint of my house accurate down to the nanometer, I'd probably still just grab a pencil and jot down the lengths and angles and do quick calculations on the back of some sandpaper or a piece of wood, and bring those notes with me when I need to buy materials.

I do a lot of home improvement and other home carpentry projects, and even if that thing was 100% accurate I really don't see it being more effective than using a normal tape measure/yardstick and a pencil.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its not for you, its for wannabes that think their equipment holds them back from mastery of whatever hobby they are currently into

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

its not for you, its for wannabes that think their equipment holds them back from mastery of whatever hobby they are currently into

There's probably a good cross-section of people who backed this thing and that color changing pen.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if i bought a batter camera i would be a better photographer

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why do you need crowdfunding for a kitchen knife?

I don't get it.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Nevermind that $120 for a chef's knife isn't even a "better price." Some are definitely way more expensive, but you can get a quality knife for cheaper.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Looks like a great business model, guys!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xandu posted:

Nevermind that $120 for a chef's knife isn't even a "better price." Some are definitely way more expensive, but you can get a quality knife for cheaper.

Case in point, an excellent quality knife for less than half the price. And possibly can be had for cheaper, that's just a quick look at a local restaurant supply store.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My name a Bulat. Very naice!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
More cutting edge ideas:

razor with sapphire blades!

Why have machines assemble your razor cartridges when you can do it yourself?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

This is their second time trying to kickstart this, the first time had a smaller goal but was cancelled because they couldn't find equity investors. Their solution? now the goal is for the entire amount needed, well above what they got last time! A sound business strategy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gann Jerrod posted:

This is their second time trying to kickstart this, the first time had a smaller goal but was cancelled because they couldn't find equity investors. Their solution? now the goal is for the entire amount needed, well above what they got last time! A sound business strategy.

So it is.

I like how they’ve revised the blade lifetime from “ten years guaranteed” to “maybe six months”.

Must be that budget sapphire.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Platystemon posted:

More cutting edge ideas:

razor with sapphire blades!

So the razor costs $200 but the blades are less than $39. Apparently the handle is worth somewhere between $161 and $200?

They seem to have turned the "razor and blades" business model on its head.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Good video, good concept, I'd gladly pay $20 for...

Oh, the cheapest option for it is $66 shipped?

I'll back it for now and then the thread can tell me if I was an idiot or not, giving me time to cancel the pledge.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Gann Jerrod posted:

I can't imagine why they would have trouble finding investors.

quote:

But, in contrast to "the razor blade model" that exists today, we plan to make very little margin on the replacement cartridges.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
So I'm going to start a kickstarter that sells handles that are compatible with their blade for $10. You can go ahead and buy the blades from them.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Xandu posted:

I can't imagine why they would have trouble finding investors.
"We'll profit on the thing that people only buy once, then sell the consumables at near loss! Brilliant!"

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Guess I'll have to be the hipster that reminds these people that safety razors exist.

A good safety razor is in the 20-30€ ballpark and will last an eternity. Then you have razor blades, you can get a hundred for 15€ delivered off Amazon. Assuming a blade lasts for three shavings (if you have an extra coarse beard, usually it lasts more) and you shave once per day, that's 0,05€ per day.

Instead you have a 200€ razor that lasts six months, which is more than 1€ per day.

B-b-but it's got sapphire blades!
:goonsay:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

the blades look cool. still wont buy.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mikl posted:

Guess I'll have to be the hipster that reminds these people that safety razors exist.

I've got a good safety razor and plenty of blades but it seems like I can't get a good shave with it. I just can't keep the head at the right angle. One thing that works for me is shaving with a cartridge razor one day and then the safety razor the next day, going back and forth. But that's an annoying bother if I can be honest.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just buy that laser shaver and never have to buy blades again!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

RandomPauI posted:

I've got a good safety razor and plenty of blades but it seems like I can't get a good shave with it. I just can't keep the head at the right angle. One thing that works for me is shaving with a cartridge razor one day and then the safety razor the next day, going back and forth. But that's an annoying bother if I can be honest.

Everybody has their own face and no one is alike, you just have to find what works for you, be it blades or cartridges or using an epilator*. Personally I would never go back to cartridges, since the shave I get with a safety razor is so much closer. But if cartridges work for you, that's fine.

* I'm joking. Do not actually do this.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

wa27 posted:

Looks like a great business model, guys!

Yes, retail, famous for having 50% margins.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I guess they're just hoping you don't remember how there are already multiple companies purporting to save you money on direct selling blades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mikl posted:

A good safety razor is in the 20-30€ ballpark and will last an eternity. Then you have razor blades, you can get a hundred for 15€ delivered off Amazon. Assuming a blade lasts for three shavings (if you have an extra coarse beard, usually it lasts more) and you shave once per day, that's 0,05€ per day.
I bought a decent straight razor and a strop about six years ago because I got sick of buying razor cartridges. Takes a little bit to learn, but once you've got it down you shave as fast as with a cartridge razor, with a much better result and zero running cost.