Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Edge & Christian posted:

Which ones are the lovely no-name writers and which are the established writers? I feel like I've heard of most of the people getting Marvel books but maybe you've been busy shitposting and haven't heard of Ta-Nehesi Coates or Al Ewing or Mark Waid, so I want to be sure who you've never heard of and are too lazy to Google before I post anything.

I'll check again but the writers of Foolkiller, Wasp, Kingpin, Bullseye, Prowler and Slapstick (not van leet) instantly come to mind

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Alucard Nacirema posted:

I'll check again but the writers of Foolkiller, Wasp, Kingpin, Bullseye, Prowler and Slapstick (not van leet) instantly come to mind

Foolkller is the same writer of worst x-men and prowler is the writer of nova

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

So Bendis continues to write Hawkeye as an assassin even though he was one of the Avengers who more disliked the idea killing?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Adnor posted:

So Bendis continues to write Hawkeye as an assassin even though he was one of the Avengers who more disliked the idea killing?

Other posters implied Banner asked him to. He's against murder, solidly, but assisted suicide is another bag.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

DrProsek posted:

Other posters implied Banner asked him to. He's against murder, solidly, but assisted suicide is another bag.

Somehow I missed that. If Banner asked him, that's different.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

It's not a horrible issue but it completely contradicts what's going on in Totally Awesome Hulk and and I'm eager to see how they reconcile that.

Not Bendis' problem.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Not Bendis' problem.

No, it's the editor's.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

No, it's the editor's.

Yeah, I'm just saying he could've had Greg Pak in the room telling him why that wouldn't work and he'd still have done it because Bendis don't give a gently caress.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, I'm just saying he could've had Greg Pak in the room telling him why that wouldn't work and he'd still have done it because Bendis don't give a gently caress.

Yeah, Bendis always goes "I DON'T GIVE A gently caress!" and writes whatever he wants because he's totally trying to gently caress over other writers!

Considering this was an event where it was planned out and discussed what was going to happen with other writers and editors, and Bendis actually had an idea shot down, this dumb poo poo needs to stop. If you don't like what happens in an event, blame the editors for allowing it. You can blame the writers for how it's written, but no one writer is just doing stuff because they don't give a gently caress.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, Bendis always goes "I DON'T GIVE A gently caress!" and writes whatever he wants because he's totally trying to gently caress over other writers!

Considering this was an event where it was planned out and discussed what was going to happen with other writers and editors, and Bendis actually had an idea shot down, this dumb poo poo needs to stop. If you don't like what happens in an event, blame the editors for allowing it. You can blame the writers for how it's written, but no one writer is just doing stuff because they don't give a gently caress.

The first Civil War taught me that consistency between concurrent runs is a pretty dream but doesn't happen.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Rhyno posted:

No, it's the editor's.

The editing for CWII has felt particularly bad. I remember before it came out, Bendis was saying CWII won't be Minority Report and there will be good reason to back either side, and in the main series Marvel has only talked about using Ulysses to prepare for world ending threats. But then in every tie in, she's going full Minority Report, arresting people for precrime even while everyone keeps telling her Ulysses' visions aren't objective, perfect looks into the future.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

To be fair if there's any one writer who has the pull at Marvel to override another writer's wishes it'd be Bendis.

But you're all ignoring that being the architect of the event he would be the one dictating the story's flow, and not Pak, and if Pak was really actually upset or overruled he wouldn't have written multiple TAH tie-in issues including both a road to and Civil War II tie-in issue. I mean come on, it's Totally Awesome Hulk, it could've gotten away with not being a CWII tie-in because it's very clearly a second-string book. Pak has written absolutely excellent CWII tie-ins so far and it's not like there's a dearth of CWII tie-ins (and at worse if Pak threw some kind of fit about it they'd have done a CWII Hulk one-shot to address the immediate ramifications of this issue if Pak refused to do it). There's a whole bunch of options here to keep both writers happy and I really doubt Pak is dissatisfied or his story is directly at odds with Bendis' since so far he's arguably done the best job of tying in his ongoing with the event, depending on how you feel Soule did it on Uncanny Inhumans.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

HIJK posted:

The first Civil War taught me that consistency between concurrent runs is a pretty dream but doesn't happen.

Actually ironically Pak's feels most of a piece with the event itself so far of all the ongoings that have tie-ins, and considering I've read nearly all of them there's no real ongoings that have tie-ins that feel wildly inconsistent, and certainly nowhere near to the level of CWI. Also in general the CWII tie-ins have been pretty good so far across all ongoings except for, ironically, invincible Iron Man's road to civil war issues (which just feel really superfluous if giving decent context to Tony's motivations going into the event)

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Toxxupation posted:

Actually ironically Pak's feels most of a piece with the event itself so far of all the ongoings that have tie-ins, and considering I've read nearly all of them there's no real ongoings that have tie-ins that feel wildly inconsistent, and certainly nowhere near to the level of CWI. Also in general the CWII tie-ins have been pretty good so far across all ongoings except for, ironically, invincible Iron Man's road to civil war issues (which just feel really superfluous if giving decent context to Tony's motivations going into the event)

The only CW2 tie in I've read so far is the Spider Woman issue. It was okay. I've been pretty happy to ignore the event otherwise since it features a bunch of characters I don't care about.

Ironically I'm looking forward to the Daredevil tie-in with Age of Apocalypse because it amuses me how his interaction with the X-Men is always so limited and yet he keeps getting eaten by their shenanigans. I kind of hope that Marvel never changes that.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Daredevil #9 was loving awesome. I love team ups and Soule made Spidey just as annoying and he was bad rear end.

Fill in artist was really great too, some really cool and different layouts.

I'm hoping the last 2 issues are indicitive of the rest of Soules run.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So having seen CW 2 #3 it totally reads like Bendis doesn't actually know Banner isn't the Hulk anymore which is just

I'm tired

I'm so very tired

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao serious?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yes the comic basically makes no sense taken in context of it happening in the marvel universe "right now"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Not ALL of the Now 2.0 previews leaked, apparently. There's a few covers/promo pieces in the final catalogue that weren't in the leaks I saw. Kingpin and Bullseye are explicitly being tied to Daredevil as a 'family' of titles (ironically, the only member of the usual suspects on the big splash promo was Elektra, who's nowhere to be found). Hawkeye looks pretty drat great as well. And they're seemingly pushing either Bendis' run on GotG ending, or the book itself being relaunched in the new year, presumably to coincide with the new movie.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I think CW2 will read a lot better in trade/collection that it is now. Issue 3 was actually quite good, it's just the weird timing of tie-in issues coming out out of order and issues 1 and 2 not really defining the sides well enough.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

So having seen CW 2 #3 it totally reads like Bendis doesn't actually know Banner isn't the Hulk anymore which is just

I'm tired

I'm so very tired

It adresses it. It says that, while Banner hasn't been The Hulk in a while, he's been experimenting on himself with gamma cells, which has never been good news ever. Hawkeye made a judgement call based on the available evidence, which is supposed to be an indictment of Carol because her way made it so he went in thinking the worst was gonna happen, but really, in this specific case, in this specific context, it's way more of a "Clint is terrible at decisions" thing.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

ElNarez posted:

It adresses it. It says that, while Banner hasn't been The Hulk in a while, he's been experimenting on himself with gamma cells,

This is silly. A guy who since day-one doesn't want to be the Hulk and seemingly hasn't been in a while all of a sudden starts literally poking the (gamma) bear?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bruce Banner does that all the time.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Ferrule posted:

This is silly. A guy who since day-one doesn't want to be the Hulk and seemingly hasn't been in a while all of a sudden starts literally poking the (gamma) bear?

He claims in the book that it's those experiments with dead gamma cells that has kept him Hulk-free. He didn't just suddenly stop Hulking.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Is Daredevil good ? Because I stopped reading when Waid was taken off the book/ stopped writing it. Just read Civil War #3 and I liked it.

I'm pretty sure that the Inhuman's ability is just some weird self fulfilling prophecy type thing.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Foolkiller: Max Bemis is the lead singer of the band Say Anything and has written a number of comics for Boom and Marvel over the past few years, most prominently the Liefeld parody Oh Killstrike and last year's Worst X-Man Ever mini. Oh Killstrike was kind of on the nose for my taste, but Worst X-Man Ever was fun.

Wasp: Jeremy Whitley has a creator-owned book called Princeless which has won some Eisners and other awards, and is the regular writer of IDW's My Little Pony comics, which I have not read.

Kingpin: Matthew Rosenberg wrote the Ghostface comic 12 Reasons to Die, and a couple of indie crime books (We Can Never Go Home, 4 Kids Walk Into a Bank) that have been well received.

Bullseye: Ed Brisson has also written a number of crime books (Comeback being perhaps the best known one) and has done some fill-in work at both Marvel and DC in the past few years.

Prowler: Sean Ryan has written various stuff over the past few years, most prominently the last year or so of Nova.

Slapstick: Reilly Brown has been drawing books for Marvel for like ten years now, including decent chunks of Cable & Deadpool and Incredible Herc, and some of the recent Deadpool stuff (mostly the Digital mini-series for some reason).

Feel free to give a poo poo or not about any of these no-names.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Previews magazine free on Comixology. Get it here.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, and I'm apparently gonna be reading that second Dr Strange title, because Thompson and Rodriguez? Goddamn that's a hell of a creative team.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jesus Christ, Vision. :stare:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
All this because some old robo-racist ghost decided marriage was between a man and a woman not a toaster and a toaster.

The Vision book is embarrassing the entire Civil War II crossover, here I am yawning at the deaths of the Hulk and Rohdey but misting up over a character that's been around less then a year and both lynch-pinned on somebody predicting the future and starting down a bad path.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 13, 2016

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Wasn't Vision's daughter Viv on the same Champions team with li'l Cyclops? Go at it tumblr fanfic writers. Let's get Cyclops and Viv together. Merge the hosed up Summers Clan with the twisted Shade Consortium.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Heathen posted:

Wasn't Vision's daughter Viv on the same Champions team with li'l Cyclops? Go at it tumblr fanfic writers. Let's get Cyclops and Viv together. Merge the hosed up Summers Clan with the twisted Shade Consortium.

It doesn't count if it's Cyclops from before he started tangling up his family tree.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

WickedHate posted:

It doesn't count if it's Cyclops from before he started tangling up his family tree.

Considering the whole Cable/Stryfe/X-Man/Rachel Summers/Hope shenanigans, time travel counts. :colbert:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, seriously. If you cut out time-travel, the comedy of the Summers family tree pretty much disappears

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
But the original 616 Cyclops fathered Cable, and X-Man and Stryfe are alternate universe Cables. Baby Cyclops was also never married to Madelyne Pryor.

You've got me on Rachel, though. (I forget what Hope's deal is because I do not care about her at all)

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 13, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hope was totally supposed to be Jean but it was scrapped. Cable adopted her.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I actually laughed when I saw the new issue of Civil War. Bendis really doesn't give a poo poo, does he?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The Vision was great (albeit so very cruel). Gwenpool was great, and it'll be hilarious if this is the start of some kind of Batroc renaissance. New Avengers wasn't too shabby either, ah love me some Guthrieisms. X-Men was kinda soul destroying, poor Evan. Poor En Sabah. Just doomed sweet kids all down the line.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Amadeus better kill all these stupid motherfuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Fuego Fish posted:

I actually laughed when I saw the new issue of Civil War. Bendis really doesn't give a poo poo, does he?

Every line of that book was vetted and approved by multiple levels of Marvel editorial, and every event in it was workshopped months and months ago at a writers retreat. Bendis doesn't just randomly do poo poo unilaterally as a surprise because he doesn't care.

• Locked thread