Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Doesn't Erdogan and AKP still have huge support in the populace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Karl Sharks posted:

is he a erdogan supporter or dissenter?

ANadolu is Erdogan's mouthpiece, but Akar was very close to Erdogan lately.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Young Freud posted:

Let's not to say Russia might have some intelligence assets in a neighboring country that could make it look like an ISIS attempt on a vocal critic of theirs.

"Da, I know the way to Angliiskij Embassy!" said the cab driver

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

fspades posted:

This coup must have been long in the making, but lately Erdogan was trying to purge the judiciary. If you planning to do a coup that's the alarm bell for you.

He already sorta purged the judiciary. Erdogan's moves towards dictatorship have been going on for years; it's what makes the timing of this so mysterious.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Thug Lessons posted:

Yeah it's Morsi all over again.

It's pretty different because the Kumal tradition will probably restore pseudo democracy unlike in Egypt.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/DiegoCupolo/status/754054719933444096

oh poo poo if true.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

quote:

The head of the Istanbul branch of Turkey’s ruling AK party says soldiers entered the party building and asked them to leave, CNN Turk reports.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Ilustforponydeath posted:

This didn't work last time.

:tipshat:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Thug Lessons posted:

Yeah it's Morsi all over again.

I mean in this scenario don't we have more negotiating power since they want to remain on good terms with NATO/the US?

Can't we just say "Cool, we'll accept this if you promise to not gently caress with the Kurds."? Doesn't seem like they'd be in a position to say no.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Emanuel Collective posted:

He already sorta purged the judiciary. Erdogan's moves towards dictatorship have been going on for years; it's what makes the timing of this so mysterious.

Yeah, I'd have to guess its the latest overtures to Russia that were likely the tipping point. But a coup of this sophistication takes a while to plan, so figure this has been in the pipeline for a few months at least.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/Haber7/status/754055254459703298

MHP are denouncing the coup

Averrences
May 3, 2008
Sky News are outlining that Edrogan has apparently escaped to Bodrum?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

fspades posted:

ANadolu is Erdogan's mouthpiece, but Akar was very close to Erdogan lately.

oh okay, and thanks thread for answering my dumb questions :v:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

If people can't remember Erdogan was full rear end in a top hat

quote:

As for Alpay, he can no longer air his opinions in the pages of the Zaman newspaper, since police stormed its offices and installed court-appointed trustees earlier this month.

Overnight, the country's largest opposition paper began offering uncharacteristically glowing coverage of Erdogan's struggle against those he calls the "accomplices of terror."

In a recent speech, the president warned of further crackdowns. "Being an academic, author, journalist or an NGO executive does not change the fact that this person indeed is a terrorist," he said.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Averrences posted:

is that like a pro-erdogan stronghold or something?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Rookersh posted:

I mean in this scenario don't we have more negotiating power since they want to remain on good terms with NATO/the US?

Can't we just say "Cool, we'll accept this if you promise to not gently caress with the Kurds."? Doesn't seem like they'd be in a position to say no.

Well I wouldn't bet on that working, but what I REALLY wouldn't bet on is the west actually trying something like that. Sad to say, I doubt they see the Kurds as important enough to be worth the risk of further instability in the region should the military refuse (and given how much they really don't like the Kurds I would not be surprised in the slightest if they did whatever the consequences).

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Rookersh posted:

If the US wanted to go to bat for Bakur and Rojava and was willing to make concessions in other areas, (which probably means dumping the rest of the rebels), maybe. I don't see that as the likely US position though.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Erdogan going to get the President Diem treatment, I bet.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Michael Scott posted:

What are you doing instead? And also what were you doing in Turkey?

Good luck.

A holiday from all this conflict stuff I do.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Averrences posted:

Brown Moses tweeted out a news report saying he was headed to Ataturk, so who knows.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
My Turkish diplomat buddy is hunkering down safely

And wondering whether this will delay her next out of country posting which was supposed to start in like August. :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Thug Lessons posted:

The question is whether it's the entire military, or a faction.

They have infantry, tanks, gendarmes, attack helicopters, and fighter jets, if it's a faction is a pretty drat big one.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Brown Moses posted:

:laffo:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Wouldn't the US have far fewer scruples defending their kurdish allies against a coup force than against their other ally?

The coup force is still that other ally, minus the ISIS supporter president.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Karl Sharks posted:

is that like a pro-erdogan stronghold or something?

no it's a holiday resort

in a CHP aligned province

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

you sure can pick 'em :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Nice coup, gg guys. My dinner didn't even go cold. My only criticism would be lack of real time streams of the action. Still, there's always next time for that.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
The disaster here isn't if the coup succeeds or fails, it's if it half succeeds/fails generating wider instability throughout Turkey. Success or failure is a major blow to institutional stability, an incomplete ongoing situation is a cause for wider instability that invites a spread of violence.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Apparently state TV is broadcasting the military's message now.

-New Constitution being prepared

-Last government was undemocratic and violated human rights

-The country is being ruled by a Committee for Peace which will provide public safety and order

- The Committee for Peace will guarantee all human rights regardless of race, religion or native language

- Martial Law is declared

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Brown Moses posted:

Seriously?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

kustomkarkommando posted:

no it's a holiday resort

in a CHP aligned province

CHP are anti-erdogan, yes? skimming wikipedia quickly

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
Fox News: “Is Pokémon GO to Blame for the Coup in Turkey?”

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
Really though this is absolutely insane

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

On reflection perhaps Napoleon should not have invaded Egypt

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

IronDoge posted:

Blocking social media seems a little fruitless in the wake of a military uprising.

Don't the young people generally loving hate Erdogan, and wouldn't their social media be blowing the gently caress up with joy that he's being booted?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

Next time you should go somewhere with a nice and stable ruthless dictatorship with an iron grip on the populace

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx

HighwireAct posted:

Fox News: “Is Pokémon GO to Blame for the Coup in Turkey?”

The pilots were just flying low to look for Pokemon, this checks out.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Watch Brown Moses start a loving coup.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

All I want to know is when we'll be getting reports of daesh going through the border being mowed down by the hundreds instead of being begrudgingly let through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
Have any military coups produced lasting sociopolitical stability?

• Locked thread