Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Pappyland posted:

Contact your embassy ASAP.

Listen to this man/woman/porpoise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah, this much heat being applied, I sincerely doubt its a small group. Looks like they have the majority of the Army and Air Force mobilozed

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Laphroaig posted:

Get to an embassy immediately.

The elephants graveyards of SA moderation.

But yeah do that.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Brown Moses posted:

I'm literally in Turkey at the moment, this is a weird moment for me.

Expect internet access to be further restricted very soon, if it hasn't been already. Also contact the embassy and shelter in place.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Laphroaig posted:

They're shooting outside, that's probably not wise. Let them know where you are, but don't leave.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Laphroaig posted:

This didn't work last time.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Sai posted:

I thought the Gulen movement was way more moderate than the AKP?

They're not Islamists I think, but they probably hate Kurds even more.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
http://t24.com.tr/haber/tsk-yonetime-el-koyuldu,350149

Use google translate, it's the coup's statement.

Disinterested posted:

The elephants graveyards of SA moderation.

Thanks, rear end in a top hat, I laughed. :colbert:

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

mcclay posted:

Yeah, judging by the helicopter raining down fire on the city, I would assume Turkey is pretty much coup'd. Good riddance to Erodagan, but I'm not sure how much hope I have for the Kurds after this.

i'm guessing the civilian government doesn't really have anything to gain air superiority? not sure how militarized their police force it

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Jesus Christ people are overreacting. No need to go to the embassy, just stay off the streets if possible and if not get to your home or hotel ASAP, then register with your embassy if you haven't done so already..

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Karl Sharks posted:

say what now?

https://www.thenation.com/article/turkey-is-fighting-a-dirty-war-against-its-own-kurdish-population/

Doesn't specifically mention Kurds being unable to vote, but its a highly charged and dangerous situation out there.

After some research, looks like a good chunk of Kurds actually voted for the AKP, some analysts say this stems for a need of stability and lack of any other good choices.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

so akp gets banned, new constitution, hdp probably gets banned cause why not and then I guess they tell the chp they are in charge after a few months

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
If erdogan is overthrown, who will merkel supply sloppy blowjobs to?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Eh I think its easier to deal with military dictators than Islamists. While they might be bastards they usually want to stay alive and try not to piss off more powerful countries by funding terrorists and expecting an apocalyptic final war.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Ilustforponydeath posted:

This didn't work last time.

:boom:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Considering how there's literally attack helicopters shooting rockets into the city going to the embassy is probably not overreacting. But of course SA mods past histories with embassies hasnt exactly been great.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Gail Wynand posted:

Jesus Christ people are overreacting. No need to go to the embassy, just stay off the streets if possible and if not get to your home or hotel ASAP, then register with your embassy if you haven't done so already..

Yeah, this. The Turkish Army is not going to send the neo-Gestapo to pick up an American blogger.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Shageletic posted:

https://www.thenation.com/article/turkey-is-fighting-a-dirty-war-against-its-own-kurdish-population/

Doesn't specifically mention Kurds being unable to vote, but its a highly charged and dangerous situation out there.

After some research, looks like a good chunk of Kurds actually voted for the AKP, some analysts say this stems for a need of stability and lack of any other good choices.

thanks for the link

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Karl Sharks posted:

i'm guessing the civilian government doesn't really have anything to gain air superiority? not sure how militarized their police force it

Unless some brave Turkish police man takes to the skies in news copter armed with a lovely assault rifle and hope I don't think the army will be losing air superiority any time soon.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Jack2142 posted:

Eh I think its easier to deal with military dictators than Islamists. While they might be bastards they usually want to stay alive and try not to piss off more powerful countries by funding terrorists and expecting an apocalyptic final war.

On the other hand, this is the policy that led to the Arab Spring.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Gail Wynand posted:

As somebody who spends an inordinate amount of time in embassies and consulates around the world -including many in unstable places- this the right answer. Do this. Stay safe.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Jack2142 posted:

That's what we thought about Sisi.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Sai posted:

Does Navo have any obligations to the ex-regime if the coup succeeds?

NATO has historically looked the other way the last 273 + 1/2 times the Turkish military did a coup to "adjust" the republic's politics. Controlling the Dardanelles and trapping the SovietRussian fleet in the Black Sea is seen as too strategically critical to kick Turkey out.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yeah, if this is most of the military Tureky's as good as couped. I highly doubt their police forces have the equipment or numbers to fight off their own military.

If this is a minor uprising by a group of hardliners and the rest of the military is on the side of the government, then it's more interesting.

What I am worried about if this coup succeeds is if this will radicalize AKP supporters and other turkish islamists and create a full-blown jihadist insurgency in Turkey. Erdogan may be loathed by a lot of the country, but his high levels of support in rural areas may cause this coup to not be an open-and-shut event like they historically were.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

my dad posted:

http://t24.com.tr/haber/tsk-yonetime-el-koyuldu,350149

Use google translate, it's the coup's statement.

So when they say Chief of Staff, do they actually mean the actual one from the Erdogan government or another one from a military splinter cell ?

Cause if your own Chief of Staff is behind this, then you're probably hosed.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
It still feels so weird and unnatural to be able to watch poo poo go down in near real time, directly from primary sources on twitter and periscope.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Xandu posted:

On the other hand, this is the policy that led to the Arab Spring.

Thats very true its a double edged sword no perfect solutions.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Friend of a friend says military are on the streets in Izmir

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Considering how there's literally attack helicopters shooting rockets into the city going to the embassy is probably not overreacting. But of course SA mods past histories with embassies hasnt exactly been great.
You mean one district of Ankara, and most visitors go to Istanbul in the first place. Ankara is to Istanbul as DC is to New York, except more so.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Stay safe, Brown Moses and everyone else in Turkey.

Lord knows how it ends, but I've got a bad feeling it won't be ending well.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

Erdogan was kinda both of them. This is a huge blow to Turkey's stability and civil institutions though.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nenonen posted:

I trust BM to not go Caro. But yeah, let's hope that the country stays secure despite of this. Things would be really glum if eg. ISIS started kidnapping westerners after state security fell apart...

Let's not to say Russia might have some intelligence assets in a neighboring country that could make it look like an ISIS attempt on a vocal critic of theirs.

TwinsensRevenge
Aug 13, 2013

Spiderfist Island posted:

What I am worried about if this coup succeeds is if this will radicalize AKP supporters and other turkish islamists and create a full-blown jihadist insurgency in Turkey. Erdogan may be loathed by a lot of the country, but his high levels of support in rural areas may cause this coup to not be an open-and-shut event like they historically were.

what evidence do you have of an impending insurgency other than the faulty notion that "when muslims get angry enough, they start blowing stuff up"?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
At the risk of sounding alarmist, this is quite possibly the end of the rebels and the end of Rojava as well. So if you're cheering the coup, know that that's what you're cheering for.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Is the Turkish Air Force also in the coup, or could we get some sweet inter-branch bickering?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Gail Wynand posted:

Yeah, the best course of action is to stay inside, but contacting the embassy allows you to get information on what you need to do to be safe (probably stay inside) and also lets the world know you are OK.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Stay safe BM. Don't play EVE Online.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

So when they say Chief of Staff, do they actually mean the actual one from the Erdogan government or another one from a military splinter cell ?

Cause if your own Chief of Staff is behind this, then you're probably hosed.

AFP implying an officers coup

https://mobile.twitter.com/AFP/status/754053586192048128?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Gail Wynand posted:

You mean one district of Ankara, and most visitors go to Istanbul in the first place. Ankara is to Istanbul as DC is to New York, except more so.

Yeah but known CIA agent Brown Moses is probably not there as a visitor, unless you count Russian style tourism.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Has anyone said "About loving time yet"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Reddit news seems like the best collator of this stuff

https://www.reddit.com/live/x9gf3donjlkq

No journalistic integrity ofc, so treat everything as a rumour

• Locked thread