Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

lamentable dustman posted:

So has there ever been a worse planned coup in modern history before because this one seemed really badly planned, I would think you would want to be able to take the President in hand

Paris Commune? Left-wing coups are generally incompetent though, worse right wing ones? I can't think of any

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Warbadger posted:

You really think the 2013 coup in Egypt was "Western Engineered"? Really?

In 2009 I was around Egyptian generals as they trained at Camp Mabry in Texas. Hell yeah, I think that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

mcclay posted:

I'm not sure they can fight a war if they can't hold a tv station.

They may be shifting to strategic targets rather than information control targets as you would need to do in a civil war.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So has there ever been a worse planned coup in modern history before because this one seemed really badly planned, I would think you would want to be able to take the President in hand

Coup foiled by tool of imperialist America - The iphone.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Warbadger posted:

You really think the 2013 coup in Egypt was "Western Engineered"? Really?

It got Western approval at the very least

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

Paris Commune? Left-wing coups are generally incompetent though, worse right wing ones? I can't think of any

wait, is this a coup from the left or right? they don't like the islamist stuff and want to genocide kurds harder

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

I mean considering how few supporters they seem to have had, they put up a pretty good show of force.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

icantfindaname posted:

It got Western approval at the very least

There's a big difference between that and "Western-engineered" in the same way the 1953 Iran coup was.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

And honestly, control of the TV stations isn't that important when the internet is still on.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Aliquid posted:

wait, is this a coup from the left or right? they don't like the islamist stuff and want to genocide kurds harder

Kemalists are secular nationalists, like Jacobins. Neither left nor right. Centrist I guess

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

The-Mole posted:

RE guy above: yeah you're talking about bloodless coups moreso. A lot of the bloodier ones historically took longer to get things sorted, but they more often seemed to end in a dictator shot full of holes in the back of a truck.

At some point, though, you really move from "Bloody coup" to "civil war". I will admit that it's a spectrum, but the entire point of a coup is supplant the government. Existing bureaucracies and officials recognize that you've won, and start marching to your tune. Yes, there may be fighting, lots of people may die, there may be purges afterwards, but there's still the same framework left behind that you continue using. When you hit the point that you're having to burn everything to the ground and rebuild the entire government from scratch, that is not a coup. When you get pushed into a long engagement with not-completely-unequal forces that both maintain control over large swathes of the country, that's not a coup.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Your first example has zilch to do with installing a secular regime and all to do with preventing Iran from meddling in the profits of BP. Definitely turned out lovely though.

Egypt has been a shitshow for so long that I'm not comfortable arguing for or against US involvement in the Morsi debacle, and since there were a grand number of non-secular interests involved in this coup it's not a great example.

The US doesn't back coups for ideology, it backs them for ROI. Frequently, this has resulted in the backing/installation of distinctly non-secular governments, such as Afghanistan or Pakistan, or just the outright hard turbofucking of a nation such as Libya.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

icantfindaname posted:

this was a left-wing coup, though. It's a tragedy for the entire region if it has failed.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

The second coup attempt against Noriega was so bad that the U.S. actually had to invade outright because it was so embarrassing.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Iunno, I don't want to say there aren't dumber people, because there are always dumber people.

Edit: actually I remember a very recent one in the Sub-Saharan Africa thread where the coup-ers went "lol, just kidding, whoops, welcome back".

Burkina Faso, it was a major gently caress up.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/agirecudi/status/754153618387963904
https://twitter.com/agirecudi/status/754155015120515072

Still stuff happening in Istanbul

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

icantfindaname posted:

Kemalists are secular nationalists, like Jacobins. Neither left nor right. Centrist I guess

When they're up against Daesh fanboys like Erdogan, I'm pretty loving sure they qualify as the left in this particular conflict

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Captain Bravo posted:

A coup is not anything like a civil war or uprising or something like that. Comparing the two is like comparing cutting a man's head off to starving him to death. A coup succeeds or fails based almost entirely on how much it can get done in a very, very short amount of time. You have to snatch the head of the government, and immediately assert control over the remaining elements in a manner they can't resist, otherwise you just end up with Libya. The fact that A) Erdogan is still free and kicking, B) the state media apparatus is trumpeting 'attempted coup' and C) dozens of different government elements are saying they won't stand for the coup means that it has failed.

Yeah, it seems kind of nuts to say this has failed eight hours after it started, especially considering the main topic of the thread is usually a rebellion that's lasted for half a decade, but that's just the way it is. There's still a chance that this could inspire an uprising and rip the country apart into a civil war, but that would be something completely different than the coup attempt, in addition to being the worst possible case scenario. A coup is like the trick where you whip the tablecloth off without disturbing the dishes on top. If you gently caress it you, you'll just pull everything off the table. Yeah, you may still be holding the cloth in the end, but you've still hosed everything up.

No matter what their aims or intentions were, at this point I don't think it can really be denied that the coup has made things immeasurably worse for everyone not named Recep Tayyip Erdogan. He's practically Ataturk in all but name now. Surviving the coup, winning by successfully instructing citizens to take to the street and resist, walking among them hours later even while gunfire and explosions are still going off, he's more powerful than he has ever been before. He can attack his enemies, he can attack his friends, he can basically waltz into unopposed dictatorship without even trying.

This assessment from earlier when people were still treating Erdogan appearing via Facetime as a meme was really bang on the money:

farraday posted:

Not quite yet, it is a coup that has fairly wide military support, it will only start to fall apart when that support starts to fail.

Which could occur if is stops being a (mostly) bloodless coup and they're forced to start shooting protesters in the street after Edrogan's call. Edrogan's facetime, which the twitterati and hot take experts here roundly mocked is a clear and dangerous call for escalation and despite what people may choose to believe he does have a large amount of support in the country and, at the moment, despite twitter reports of him fleeing the country, it doesn't seem like he's planning on giving in yet.

Erdogan handled the whole situation very well (e: from the perspective of "what's good for Erdogan", that is.)

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
things definitely picking up at the bridge. Almost constant gunfire.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
soldiers stuck in a tank i nthe middle of a crowd at ataturk airport being arrested live:
https://twitter.com/agirecudi/status/754155483062267905

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jagchosis posted:

Burkina Faso, it was a major gently caress up.

That's the one!

Apparently the coup leader, who met the returning president at the airport to welcome him back, has been charged with very mild treason. :saddowns:

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

My favorite coup story is how the Soviet hardliners in the 1991 coup broadcast on state TV footage of Yelstin giving an inspirational speech on a tank.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.periscope.tv/Isocializm/1nAKEbvYkQXGL for people who don't have the link is the bridge with gunfire can't really tell whats going on but a ton of people heading towards the bridge with gunfire in the distance

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It's morning. Facebook live has a guy tracking a trail of blood down a street. Fun.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Who were the coup leaders? Did they release any statement as to their impetus or goals?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The coup is staged.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Reason posted:

https://www.periscope.tv/Isocializm/1nAKEbvYkQXGL for people who don't have the link is the bridge with gunfire can't really tell whats going on but a ton of people heading towards the bridge with gunfire in the distance

Is it just me or is the Bridge Stream cut off?

:ohdear:

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Another periscope live from I believe Ankara

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1DXGylwvymdKM

Crowds around a tank, there was some firing a minute ago but I think it was warning shots.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

LeoMarr posted:

The coup is staged.

lol

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Apologies if this has been posted already, but Holy poo poo.

https://twitter.com/ismailsaymaz/status/754142882282569736?lang=en

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
:nms:
https://twitter.com/uumuutarslan/status/754130756574863360

so this happend.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Cirofren posted:

Who were the coup leaders? Did they release any statement as to their impetus or goals?

When they looked to have been successful they issued a statement saying the "Turkish Armed Forces have completely taken over the administration of the country to reinstate constitutional order, human rights and freedoms, the rule of law, and the general security that was damaged".

Specific leaders are unknown but the attention seems to be focused on some guy called Muharrem Köse who was head of the military legal advice department.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Live on MSNBC the soldiers on the bridge are surrendering.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/uumuutarslan/status/754130756574863360

so this happend.

Jesus.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Zohar posted:

When they looked to have been successful they issued a statement saying the "Turkish Armed Forces have completely taken over the administration of the country to reinstate constitutional order, human rights and freedoms, the rule of law, and the general security that was damaged".

Specific leaders are unknown but the attention seems to be focused on some guy called Muharrem Köse who was head of the military legal advice department.

Thanks. Been watching AlJaz but they're focusing on the bridge, Gulan, and Erdogan's statements of treason and clensing the army.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Whats the tweet? No way I am clicking it.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Patrick Spens posted:

Apologies if this has been posted already, but Holy poo poo.

https://twitter.com/ismailsaymaz/status/754142882282569736?lang=en

What's happening here? Lots of people shouting, some Turkish soldiers being held by civvies and police, I can't tell much else

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

icantfindaname posted:

What's happening here? Lots of people shouting, some Turkish soldiers being held by civvies and police, I can't tell much else

Police trying to arrest soldiers from the coup, then being interrupted by an angry mob that wants to kill the soldiers.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

the august coup in soviet union 1991 was pretty much as bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Whats the tweet? No way I am clicking it.

Tank ran over civilians

icantfindaname posted:

Cops trying to arrest surrendering soldiers and failing to keep civilians from mobbing the soldiers.

• Locked thread