Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
How the gently caress am I not the only Kira at this convention

E: they're Bowie Kira though so they're the more Kira Kira, had a disembodied hand prop and everything

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
If only you'd met him earlier he could've given you a hand with your costume.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Bad Seafood posted:

If only you'd met him earlier he could've given you a hand with your costume.

mods??

Also I still have to watch the Ratt episode but I just wanna leave registered here that Jotaro loses to literal vermin.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dias posted:

mods??

Also I still have to watch the Ratt episode but I just wanna leave registered here that Jotaro loses to literal vermin.

Jotaro lost because vermin don't have a superiority complex like vampires do. If vermin were to spend forty minutes bragging about its superiority too then a police officer could've taken it out.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dias posted:

mods??

The mods are coming from inside the post.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Thinking about seeing Kira next week and I'm that gif from the MHA anime of Deku headbanging at the computer but sped up intensely and i'll be like this for a week

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Art direction this week was kinda weird, tho I'll forgive it for some of the crazy detailed faces we got.

Boy howdy am I not looking forward to the "joke" about Rohan reading Reimi next week. One of the most uncomfortable moments of the whole series for me.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

Pootybutt posted:

Boy howdy am I not looking forward to the "joke" about Rohan reading Reimi next week. One of the most uncomfortable moments of the whole series for me.
It's pretty gross but I like that it's part of the bigger running joke about Rohan's social ineptitude and his inability to rein in his curiosity--like, this time Koichi just freaks out the whole time and yells at Rohan for being a creep (and I'm glad he gets called out on it), but eventually he keeps invading a kid's privacy with Heaven's Door even after he reads 'hey, you should stop reading here,' and ends up being blown up for it. Rohan deserves everything that happens to him and I love it.

This reminds me, I went back and looked at the Reimi chapters, and is this the last time that Rohan talks about people needing to be "compatible" with Heaven's Door for it to work properly? Because eventually Rohan uses his stand on a piece of chicken, and I'm pretty sure that that drumstick couldn't appreciate Pink-Dark Boy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

As a guy who works in a chicken restaurant, I can tell you that drumsticks have great taste in manga.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Yeah it's somewhat tempered by the fact that Rohan isn't creeping on girls in general (cough worst character in MHA cough), but more that he's a weirdo overzealous mangaka who just has to know all the nitty gritty details about someone if they pique his interest at all. Remember when Rohan pretty much killed a guy to satisfy his own curiosity?? The Reimi thing is still a bit off-color for me but then I think of how Rohan murdered someone and then almost got murdered himself because he's a little poo poo when using Heaven's Door, haha.

Also would have loved to see a scene where Rohan reads Kira like, "Kira Yoshikage got his first boner looking at a picture of the Mona Lisa in class, uses women's severed hands to wipe his own butt" <-- ACTUAL CANON FACT ABOUT KIRA

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I guess? I get how it fits his character and agree and it didn't even get super verboten to me until that one bit at the end(the immense creepiness of being held open and literally read like a book aside), but that doesn't really help it become less awkward to show to the non-manga-reading people I watch it with, or change that I groaned "what in the clear blue gently caress, Araki" when I read it. Even for this series, just man... Guess it's just one of those things.

Maybe they'll cut it? lol

Did Jotaro's costume change happen in this chapter? Did his costume change? It's been a while.

That rat flip was the raddest bit of animation all episode.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Pootybutt posted:

I guess? I get how it fits his character and agree and it didn't even get super verboten to me until that one bit at the end(the immense creepiness of being held open and literally read like a book aside), but that doesn't really help it become less awkward to show to the non-manga-reading people I watch it with, or change that I groaned "what in the clear blue gently caress, Araki" when I read it. Even for this series, just man... Guess it's just one of those things.

Maybe they'll cut it? lol

Did Jotaro's costume change happen in this chapter? Did his costume change? It's been a while.

That rat flip was the raddest bit of animation all episode.

Hey, even things I really cherish and enjoy usually have at least one moment that makes me go "whoa, ok, why did you write this like that," I think in JJBA the clearest example for me (or the one that comes to mind quickest) is Babyface in part 5. Araki may have perfect skin but sometimes his writing can fall a little short of that :v: Not just in the this-is-weird-but-in-a-bad-way sense, but mostly in that he doesn't tend to plan ahead and plain forgets things a lot.

And yes, Jotaro has had his first costume change, the "I loving love dolphins" look. I think next up is the immaculate turtleneck + vest + fannypack combo.

edit: bringing in stuff from the anime thread because future part spoilers

Begemot posted:

It's probably a shared stand. It doesn't happen very often but it's a thing. Stands can do or be anything.
Yeah, I remembered in SBR that happened with human stand users at least...twice? And Foo Fighters is technically an entire mass of plankton sharing one consciousness/stand (because Pucci, like Akira, was going around inserting stand powers into any drat thing he could find, I guess).

Moltrey posted:

It's never explained, but I've rationalized it as rats aren't mentally complex enough to even be able to manifest different Stands

I wonder if there's any sort of cutoff for determining how intelligent/spiritually strong an organism has to be to develop complex stands? It looks like manifesting a stand bestows animals with above-average-for-their-species intelligence anyways...and since that tree (grove of trees?) in Jojolion has a stand, does that mean other trees of that species will have the same stand? Or does it have to do with the terroir of that specific area? Give me the answers to my stupid and pointlessly in-depth lore questions, Araki!

standard owl fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 16, 2016

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The "Rohan reading way way too personal stuff about Reimi" never really bothered me for some reason, but I totally get why it does bother others. As others have said, the only saving aspect of it is that Rohan's not doing it because he's a creepy weirdo (he is for other reasons tho), but just because he doesn't have that level of social etiquette but he's kinda dumb

Stuff like the poo poo that happens to Lucy and to a lesser extent Yasuho is way more up there for me, so I kinda forget about that Reimi whole bit.

Sorta related, I'm really glad that while Kira kills for an almost sexual reason, he isn't a sexual character and that possible aspect is avoided all together. Far too often, Araki uses rape as drama, but that never really comes up with Kira. The scene with Hayato in the bathroom is the closest it gets, but that scene also has different weight to it for a Japanese audience. Though it ends with Kira murdering Hayato, it's at least more interesting and less lovely and uncomfortable to sit through than the stuff that Lucy and Yasuho go through

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 16, 2016

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

oh wow, I actually forgot about the Big Thing that bothers me about JJBA (stuff that happens to Lucy and Yasuho), I honestly can't believe I so effectively blocked it from my own memory that it must be the work of an enemy stand :psyduck:

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I actually kind of like that scene with Rohan cause it means he was too busy perving out to read the part about her being a loving ghost

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Scrap Dragon posted:

I actually kind of like that scene with Rohan cause it means he was too busy perving out to read the part about her being a loving ghost

That part is funny though yeah, it's really loving gross but he does indeed get yelled at and busted up for all of his idiocy so it's all good.

I think the "compatible" stuff with Heaven's Door doesn't continue past this point. It's funny because I'm sure if he didn't just flat out forget that he'd written that, he probably dropped it because it's annoying to write - but that's what really notches his ability into "would be way too powerful except it's loving Rohan" territory.

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 16, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I just assume that Rohan didn't actually realize that he could use his power on everything until after he snagged Koichi and Hazamada since he didn't bother to make sure Okuyasu or Josuke would've been compatible before trying Heaven's Door on them. Alternately, after his stint in the hospital, he doesn't even need a physical drawing to manifest his stand so maybe it was just a matter of learning how to better control his stand?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yep, right after Rohan uses Heaven's Door on Reimi, he says that his abilities have improved from fighting Josuke and no longer needs to a full manuscript

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

but that's what really notches his ability into "would be way too powerful except it's loving Rohan" territory.

I always liked that part 4 gets more involved with the concept of a stand's raw utility/power being, I guess, 'incompatible' with the user. Okuyasu would be an incredibly terrifying fighter but he's not great with on-the-fly thinking and doesn't have much confidence in himself in that respect (also he is a nice and pure boy at heart); Heaven's Door is totally op but Rohan doesn't give a poo poo about anything other than manga; Kira's already doing a great job messing up Morioh behind-the-scenes but he could do so much more damage if his greatest ambition in life wasn't "just spend a nice quiet evening home with my gf"; Mikitaka is basically tricked into teaming up with Josuke to swindle Rohan out of pocket money instead of...literally anything else useful, and so on.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

standard owl posted:

edit: bringing in stuff from the anime thread because future part spoilers

Yeah, I remembered in SBR that happened with human stand users at least...twice? And Foo Fighters is technically an entire mass of plankton sharing one consciousness/stand (because Pucci, like Akira, was going around inserting stand powers into any drat thing he could find, I guess).

Yeah the Eleven Nameless Men and the Boom Boom Family shared stands.

But I like to emphasize that stands can be anything because there are stands that are, like, attached to a tree or a rock or some random cave. Who even knows if Sugar Mountain's Spring was technically generated by one of it's victims or if a piece of jesus just ended up in a tree somehow.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Going through old poo poo on my computer and found I had this saved.

(Hayato after realizing His Dad Is Not His Dad)

Late Part 4 is real loving good

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Cheap Trick is technically a shared Stand, only you have to die to share it.

In other news, I got a new phone today and I really wish I could get a nice JoJo case for it. Googling found me iPhone cases of dubious quality (I think it was just people selling generic cases with their fanart), but nothing for what I got.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I hope that when the part 7 anime comes around and we get to the 11 tattooed guys fight that they pull a Gankutsuou/Chowder with their newsprint hair

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

FirstAidKite posted:

I hope to one day see the ending to stone ocean animated if only for these 3 pages

So good

Uhh, this is loving rough. I had it in my head that Jolyne died because her heart unwound after tying up Emporio and the dolphin unraveled her to death, not that Pucci loving eviscerated her.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

It's the best way she can go out, given how hardcore she is. She knows it's coming, too, but she doesn't give a gently caress. The glasses flying away like that makes me so sad, though.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah if it makes you feel better, one of those two ways is a much more Jolyne Kujo way to go out.

RIP you beautiful crazy fucker

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Amaryllis posted:

That's true. Whoever was in charge of the CR translation also decided to use the word 'kewl' for some reason, so maybe the problem's not on David's end.
You could call that one an accurate translation because Josuke basically says "cool" in a bit of a weird way there, it's straight from the manga

Whoever decided to go with "barely made the bearing shot" when they heard "tamatama" should have asked an actually funny person to come up with a pun

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Because I am impatient, I just read the manga from part 4 to the beginning of Part 6. Safe to say, part 4 is my favorite so far. There's more variety in the story than just constant battle. Part 5 , to me , is a retread of Stardust Crusaders which means it's back to constant fighting. I don't hate it but I've seen this before. People were talking about King Crimson earlier, the bullshit stand in Part 5 is Gold Experience Requiem, IMO.

P.S

I also don't really care all that much about spoilers in the series since spoilers just motivates me to keep reading to find out the context.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

davidHalestorm posted:

Because I am impatient, I just read the manga from part 4 to the beginning of Part 6. Safe to say, part 4 is my favorite so far. There's more variety in the story than just constant battle. Part 5 , to me , is a retread of Stardust Crusaders which means it's back to constant fighting. I don't hate it but I've seen this before. People were talking about King Crimson earlier, the bullshit stand in Part 5 is Gold Experience Requiem, IMO.

P.S

I also don't really care all that much about spoilers in the series since spoilers just motivates me to keep reading to find out the context.

Part 5 and latter Part 6 suffer from a lot of fight fatigue and not getting too many moments of downtime with the characters once the fighting gets going. Rereading recent translations of Part 5 reminded me that they only met Trish 2 days before dealing with King Crimson for the first time. In the span of 2 days they had to deal with Soft Machine & Kraftwerk before picking up Trish, then Little Feet, Man in the Mirror, Grateful Dead, Beach Boy, Baby Face, and White Album. The more I think about it, Part 5 is both a retread and an inversion of Part 3 with just how fast everything goes, so it ends up feeling so similar but having a completely different tone. How many days did it take the Crusaders to fight that many enemies? IIRC the most they ever fought in a day were 4, 6 if you're generous by including Kenny G & Nukesaku.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if nothing else i already like the way part 5 handles the 'long string of fights' structure better than part 3 because at the very least araki generally has a handle on what stands are like in vento aureo

requiem stands are sort of sketchy, but they were a neat idea that i'm honestly not particularly sad to see go, (given the 'reboot') because they were pretty open-ended and the sort of the thing that can bog down a series if it starts focusing on things like huge boosts to 'power levels'

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.

RareAcumen posted:

My favorite thing Jotaro has ever done is when he Part 4 spoilers- only reason I'm doing this is because I'm pretty sure I saw one of the anime only people posting in here a few pages ago and I don't wanna ruin the surprise! confronted Kira talkin' about he won't be able to tell time with that sweet watch after he breaks it.

His face, that is. And Kira- having never encountered any of the Joestars before- understandably underestimates this man who seems to be a missthrown frisbee away from keeling over. And then he gets his poo poo pushed in.

Given that David Pro was reusing bits of the SDC music, it's a safe bet that they're going to reprise Stardust Crusaders solely for that scene.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I really hope they do that. It would be so good!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's a short refrain of "Stardust Crusaders" in the beatdown/presumed Josuke theme and it owns.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You know what would be super good? A cutesy as gently caress Shigechi ED with a custom video/song talking about how he made friends and how awesome it is for the Harvest episode(s).

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

and the kira wants a quiet life episode :twisted:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
It's the shigechi ed, but completely silent with burn marks around where shigechi would be

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
In like a month, Shigechi will be dead and it will be rad as hell

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

You guys are cruel as gently caress

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I'm kind of sad the second OP made him look actually okay. I'm sure his debut episode will fix that problem, though. I want to root for Kira when a fatty blows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Llab posted:

I'm kind of sad the second OP made him look actually okay.

It's just Davidpro being faithful to the manga.