Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Well this isn't going to work, heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Mount it under the triple.
edit: guess that isn't enough rise for that.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Mount it under the triple.
I think the end result would be lower. I would need taller ones to mount under the triple, or maybe 1" shorter ones to mount on top.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Or just leave it stock because Honda engineering knows what you need better than you do :angel:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Or just leave it stock and learn to ride before dicking around with fundamental ergos on a 100% pristine factory bike.

The Bananana posted:

'16 Harley street 750
1200 miles

Issue:
(Sorry for the following, I am not a mechanic or even really mechanically inclined)
Clinking and clanking sound coming from the front of the bike. Not engine related, that I can tell, as it only makes the noise when the bike is in motion, but still makes the noise even when I ride the clutch (so I can better hear the issue). Not steering related, as it makes the noise even when traveling in a straight line.

I'm thus inclined to think it's the suspension, but idk how to diagnose or... actually, idk what to do period. Hoping y'all might be able to venture a guess, but if not, I'll have to go to the dealer mechanic.

Does it get faster as your road speed gets faster?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

The Bananana posted:

It's belt driven

Then stop complaining about chain noises! :eng99:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

It doesn't seem to change with low or high speed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Goondolences and carry on.

e: New question.

I want to do the electrolytic rust removal thing on one of my tanks. I understand the method in general but I have a few detail questions.

1. Do I have to use a battery charger or can I use a car battery by itself? I have a 4300ma charger but I'm not sure if this is grunty enough.

2. WTF is the generic name of 'super washing soda' seemingly everyone on the internet uses because there's nothing like that on shelves here. Alternatively is there some other poo poo I can use?

3. Can I leave the petcock in there or will bad things happen if I do?

From a couple of pages ago, but the correct answer is (4) NONE OF THE ABOVE. Use Evap-O-Rust instead. It's some kind of incredible magic potion that will give you way better results with far less effort.

I've tried the electrolytic thing and it does work, but it's annoying. It takes a long time, like several days at 2-3 amps (and going with higher current boils off the electrolyte). The electrode needs to have a line of sight to every part of the tank that you want de-rusted, which means you have to bend up a coat hanger into a complex antenna-like shape, but it can't touch the walls of the tank or it'll short out. The chemical you need to use (sodium carbonate) is hard to find; you can use the washing soda people talk about, or you can get a can of it from a pool supply store. Once the process is done, you still will have a bunch of rust flakes floating around in the tank loose that you'll need to carefully wash out. And finally, it doesn't actually do a perfect job -- there will still be some rust here and there in corners.

On a different tank I used Evap-O-Rust, and this is what it involved:
- seal up any pipes, vents and fittings on the tank
- pour in a couple of gallons of Evap-O-Rust
- let sit for 3 hours to overnight, depending on severity of rust
- flip tank over to soak the rest of the inside for another 3-12 hours
- drain tank into a bottle (the chemical is reusable many times)
- done, rust is all gone (it goes into solution)

Seriously magic.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Bananana posted:

It doesn't seem to change with low or high speed.

When you say clinking or clanking, what do you mean exactly? How loud, how fast, is it repetitive or is it random, etc?

Does it change if you shut the engine off entirely and coast with the clutch in? What if you coast in neutral?

Does it change when you apply the front brake lightly? Firmly?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

From a couple of pages ago, but the correct answer is (4) NONE OF THE ABOVE. Use Evap-O-Rust instead. It's some kind of incredible magic potion that will give you way better results with far less effort.

I've tried the electrolytic thing and it does work, but it's annoying. It takes a long time, like several days at 2-3 amps (and going with higher current boils off the electrolyte). The electrode needs to have a line of sight to every part of the tank that you want de-rusted, which means you have to bend up a coat hanger into a complex antenna-like shape, but it can't touch the walls of the tank or it'll short out. The chemical you need to use (sodium carbonate) is hard to find; you can use the washing soda people talk about, or you can get a can of it from a pool supply store. Once the process is done, you still will have a bunch of rust flakes floating around in the tank loose that you'll need to carefully wash out. And finally, it doesn't actually do a perfect job -- there will still be some rust here and there in corners.

On a different tank I used Evap-O-Rust, and this is what it involved:
- seal up any pipes, vents and fittings on the tank
- pour in a couple of gallons of Evap-O-Rust
- let sit for 3 hours to overnight, depending on severity of rust
- flip tank over to soak the rest of the inside for another 3-12 hours
- drain tank into a bottle (the chemical is reusable many times)
- done, rust is all gone (it goes into solution)

Seriously magic.

I've looked into this but, they expect you to pay $300 for a 5L can of concentrate so I'll take my chances with the washing soda first.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Don't buy the concentrate -- that's for industrial users. At the proper dilution, the chemical costs about $30 per gallon. Get two gallons and use it to de-rust the gas tank, then keep it and strip the rust on every other rusty metal tool or part you have for the next five years with zero effort. If you ever work on old bikes or like poking around garage sales for tools, it pays for itself in convenience alone.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The Bananana posted:

'16 Harley street 750
1200 miles

Issue:
(Sorry for the following, I am not a mechanic or even really mechanically inclined)
Clinking and clanking sound coming from the front of the bike. Not engine related, that I can tell, as it only makes the noise when the bike is in motion, but still makes the noise even when I ride the clutch (so I can better hear the issue). Not steering related, as it makes the noise even when traveling in a straight line.

I'm thus inclined to think it's the suspension, but idk how to diagnose or... actually, idk what to do period. Hoping y'all might be able to venture a guess, but if not, I'll have to go to the dealer mechanic.

It's not your key jangling, is it?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Or just leave it stock and learn to ride before dicking around with fundamental ergos on a 100% pristine factory bike.

Its not pristine anymore, I slipped while test fitting the bars and wacked the tank with my wrench. Nice ding in the paint, and I want to die

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Maybe now that it's no longer perfect (it was never perfect it's just a Honda F4 who cares) everyone will shut the gently caress up about how you're going to ruin it and how you're messing with the perfect ergos of a Honda F4.

I'm not sure why/how that pictures indicates it's not gonna work though.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

Maybe now that it's no longer perfect (it was never perfect it's just a Honda F4 who cares) everyone will shut the gently caress up about how you're going to ruin it and how you're messing with the perfect ergos of a Honda F4.

People here treat DRZs like relics of the cross, what do you expect?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Just put dirtbike bars on the thing already, we all end up doing it after we get tired of riding supersports on the street see the light.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Z3n posted:

It's the brake fluid reservoir. It looks like, even with the bars straight, the reservoir would be jutting right into the windshield at that height.

Are these universal risers? It seems like an awful rip-off if they were dedicated F4i risers.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yo have you thought about mounting them backwards, so the bar sits behind the fork tube instead of in front? So take the one you've got mounted in the picture and try it the same way up but on the left fork tube.

e/ or put the other one on the right tube, w/e

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Deeters posted:

It's not your key jangling, is it?

I really hope it's this because it's funny and also totally something that has happened to me.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I installed a Power Commander Fuel Controller (PCFC) in my MT-07 today. I have the Akrapovic Titanium system with the baffle in but due to poor research I found out too late that there is no downloadable map for this exact setup. I'll have to run some map that's close enough until my OCD forces me to get it dynoed professionally.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
So quick question, forgive the newbiness. I have recently gotten a new Yamaha TTR250. Starts fine but it doesn't like to idle with the choke fully closed - though i'm not sure i'm giving the engine enough time to warm up before i close the choke. What is the expected behaviour for something like that? And if that is abnormal, what is the first thing to try? Take off the air cleaner and spray a can of carb cleaner down the intake?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Trambopaline posted:

What is the expected behaviour for something like that?

Sounds normal as it is. Could be that the idle is set a little bit low (I assume it has a carb). Ride until it's completely warm, then set the idle correctly according to the manual. No engine runs right when it's cold, although that is hidden from you in modern fuel injected engines which adds "choke" automatically.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Thanks a lot - I'm new to the whole carb lark - it's my first bike and I've never had to think about it before. What's a reasonable amount of time to warm up an engine?

Edit: Sorry - should have used more brain and initiative, I gave it a quick google and found a startup checklist to warming up the engine.

Trambopaline fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 17, 2016

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Sagebrush posted:

When you say clinking or clanking, what do you mean exactly? How loud, how fast, is it repetitive or is it random, etc?

Does it change if you shut the engine off entirely and coast with the clutch in? What if you coast in neutral?

Does it change when you apply the front brake lightly? Firmly?

That's funny you mention that, I actually did that, and took a video, in the hopes I could post it and y'all could listen, but unfortunately, my phone didn't pick it up very well. You can, however, very clearly and distinctly hear the sound of my house key jingling, and it is not the same sound as what I'm hearing.

The sounds I'm hearing range from a clanking sound to a metal on metal screech, like... idk, the sound you'd hear if you were turning a large metal wheel valve.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Z3n posted:

Yeah, I dunno. I am just glad to bring everyone such posting joy :angel:

As mounted in the pic, they wont clear the windscreen/fairing with the levers and master cylinder mounted.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Yo have you thought about mounting them backwards, so the bar sits behind the fork tube instead of in front? So take the one you've got mounted in the picture and try it the same way up but on the left fork tube.

e/ or put the other one on the right tube, w/e

This is a good question. I tested fitted it that way, it moves the bars back from the stock location but fitment wouldnt be an issue. I searched a bit online and didnt see anyone else that had done it, so I assumed it wasnt a thing people did. I am not sure full lock would clear the tank with them mounted that way to be honest.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Trambopaline posted:

Thanks a lot - I'm new to the whole carb lark - it's my first bike and I've never had to think about it before. What's a reasonable amount of time to warm up an engine?

Edit: Sorry - should have used more brain and initiative, I gave it a quick google and found a startup checklist to warming up the engine.

Choke on
Start engine
Ride to the first stoplight
Choke off

On really cold days you might have to ride to the second stoplight, but the engine should heat up pretty quickly.

The Bananana posted:

The sounds I'm hearing range from a clanking sound to a metal on metal screech, like... idk, the sound you'd hear if you were turning a large metal wheel valve.

That doesn't sound great, but you may be misinterpreting a normal sound. Can you do the tests I mentioned before (engine off and coasting, use brakes, is it repeating on a cycle or happening randomly, etc) and see if any of those change the sound?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Gonna have to put a pin in this for now; Time for work. I think I'll err on the side of caution and take my car today. :'(

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Do streets have anti rattle springs on the brakes? Could it be the springs in the forks being noisy?

It should be under warranty still right? Is take it in if it really sounds bad.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Yeah, think I'll schedule a visit with the dealer tomorrow.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

The Bananana posted:

Yeah, think I'll schedule a visit with the dealer tomorrow.

if the problem is only there when the bike is in motion, do you really think harley mechanics are suited to the task?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

EX250 Type R posted:

if the problem is only there when the bike is in motion, do you really think harley mechanics are suited to the task?

I assumed they'd take it on a test drive, and I'd tell them to turn it off and let it coast, so they could hear it. Idk, it is still under warranty, so idk why I wouldn't take it to the dealer first, right?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

The Bananana posted:

I assumed they'd take it on a test drive, and I'd tell them to turn it off and let it coast, so they could hear it. Idk, it is still under warranty, so idk why I wouldn't take it to the dealer first, right?

Yeah take it to the dealership and let them deal with it.

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah, I dunno. I am just glad to bring everyone such posting joy :angel:

As mounted in the pic, they wont clear the windscreen/fairing with the levers and master cylinder mounted.

This is a good question. I tested fitted it that way, it moves the bars back from the stock location but fitment wouldnt be an issue. I searched a bit online and didnt see anyone else that had done it, so I assumed it wasnt a thing people did. I am not sure full lock would clear the tank with them mounted that way to be honest.

Doing ergo changes like this always involves a bunch of trial and error, I'd probably mount them backwards and play with it until they fit (mostly). Installing the type of risers that sit under the OEM bars is much easier than this, though, as you're also going to have to drill the holes for mounting the controls and such.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Z3n posted:

Yeah take it to the dealership and let them deal with it.

Doing ergo changes like this always involves a bunch of trial and error, I'd probably mount them backwards and play with it until they fit (mostly). Installing the type of risers that sit under the OEM bars is much easier than this, though, as you're also going to have to drill the holes for mounting the controls and such.

You think mounting them backwards would be acceptable? I assumed it would change the feel/angle so much that it would be sketchy. I don't see any reason to drill holes, all of the controls are all held on by fasteners as far as I can tell...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Depends, a lot of them have locating pins that you have to drill holes for.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

Depends, a lot of them have locating pins that you have to drill holes for.

Or snip the pins off and keep the gear on by friction.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's one way to do it...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

N is for Nipples posted:

Or snip the pins off and keep the gear on by friction.

Always ride with a GoPro recording and make sure a loved one has the password to your SA account. Thanks.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Further dumb newbie question time, how inadvisable is it to ride dot approved knobblies day to day for non highway commuting? I assume they will be chewed up something fast on road but is it dangerous?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Trambopaline posted:

Further dumb newbie question time, how inadvisable is it to ride dot approved knobblies day to day for non highway commuting? I assume they will be chewed up something fast on road but is it dangerous?

No, not dangerous. Less grip and higher wear than regular tires, maybe slightly weird steering feel, but no big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Trambopaline posted:

Depending on the tire, you can get a bit of wobble at speed which can be exciting. They can also have crap traction in the rain. But, I do it and so far it's been ok as long as I remember what I'm riding.