Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
legion989
Jan 18, 2013

Jst0rm posted:

Can't we check moma's IP address. Not to Dix but just see if it comes back to Los Angeles.

I thought there was a post about a month back where he inadvertently confirmed this because he mentioned getting breakfast at a Cafe which was like 4 blocks from CIG hq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I wonder if Sandi feels even a shred of remorse for the whole "food to spite goons" and donutgate incident.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

RuckusRouser posted:

Want you to know that these RPG spells are giving me many laughs. Need some names though

Sandi will appear in the dreams of some unfortunate goons wherever they try to sleep. Sandi, through various threats, will try to persuade her victims to sell their houses to buy jpgs and join in the character assassination of their own commander, Derek Smart. The strength of the threats depends on the strength of Chris Roberts' vision, but basic logic is always required to defy Sandi. Sandi is totally powerless if they are unable to persuade any goons, which may well happen should Derek Smart be more feared than they are.

(It is Dominions 4. A real game that actually exists and you can play.)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

FrankieGoes posted:

CIG self insures. As does my company, coincidentally.

They do?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So what you're saying is that the only reason its not an MMO is because CIG doesn't want to call Star Citizen an MMO.

At least Roberts told you you'd be in a [paraphrased] "Living, breathing universe" that would "change dynamically based on user (inter)actions". Squadron 42 and Star Citizen were also both planned from the outset, again based on Chris' pitch.

And if "the universe" is supposed to be dynamic and have content added on a weekly (yes, weekly) basis so that more things can be explored and, presumably, fought for/over, why would you think it would be anything but an online game focusing on a large userbase on a small number of public servers?

Hitman could be an MMO by that description, it's not actually saying much.

But yes, self-identity is a large part of it. It has increasingly become a marketing label, and a term that CIG may evoke but never self-identifies as. That way, a fanboy may hear the word MMO and dream that the game will be like Eve or WoW but infinitely better, and the 'logical' fans can argue that they never promised any of it when it all goes tits up. I can make a list of things which many MMOs share, but you can find counter-examples and vice versa. It was never a coherent descriptor.

Star Citizen is an instanced multiplayer game that pulls its player data from a single world server. You can make a direct comparison to Destiny, Elite or No Man's Sky, and there are sound technical and PR reasons for why they are not marketed as MMOs. Hell, even WoW has technically become less 'MMO' on the back-end over the years. The main reasons that Star Citizen is not an MMO are that it based on FPS netcode and not MMO netcode, and that progression and social features are nowhere near as fleshed out as an MMO (despite what the citizens imagine).

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Foo Diddley posted:

Same

I'm gonna wait for the funeral

:911:

Ben Lesnick's Personal Webpage posted:

No, but If I was going to rape 12 year old girls I'd get a vasectomy... but I'm not so I won't so there. #14547
I rape all kinds of stuff. Lets watch Friends. #20285
You know what I don't get? People who keep complaining that we're killing Iraqi children. These people have clearly never met a foreigner before. #21156
A black guy who can't find crack? I think not. I really shouldn't be letting my nine year old cousin watch this. #21603
The Jeffersons moved on up. They were pretty black. #15029
You know what they don't have here in college? Black people. #18464
There are absolutely no black people here. #18465
Poor Old friend of the family Thinks It's A Cadillac. #17627
I would have been back earlier, but I got jewed in CounterStrike, friend of the family. #21860
Huzzah, downloaded the first episode of Pokemon Advanced Generation. Hehe, this is so great. May is pretty hot for a ten year old. #21520
Jewish people don't drive busses. They run gold ring making companies and holocaust museums and delis. #19627
Japan invented getting a nuclear bomb dropped on themselves. #20863
I wish they'd invent a way to trade between the original Pokemons and the GBA Pokemons. You'd think that Japan, the country that invented getting attacked with nuclear bombs, would be smart enough to figure that out. #21582
But I always assumed that if I wanted to kill people, I could at least get a classroom worth. #18017
There are lots of mature 15 year olds... Well, he's *MORE* mature then he used to be. #5435
Wow, Hades, do you try to pursue homosexual relations with children age 8-13 too? #7673
I don't feel sympathy. Not a shred of it.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 18, 2016

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Abongination posted:

I wonder if Sandi feels even a shred of remorse for the whole "food to spite goons" and donutgate incident.

To me all donutgate is is Sandi likely being the kind of person who only sees things from one perspective: hers. She buys donuts for her co workers all the time, it's something she wants to do for whatever reason, it simply doesn't occur or matter to her to remember that overweight coworkers are starting a diet unless someone reminds her of that fact and explains why continuing to bring donuts in is insensitive.

She is probably the kind of person who would run up to a group of friends and say something like "Hey everybody guess what, I have one extra ticket to this cool concert, so I can take one of you with me, but only one of you, who should it be?" In other words no social tact.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Abongination posted:

I wonder if Sandi feels even a shred of remorse

I wonder

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

Oh, Benny boy, the parps, the parps are calling

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Maldoror posted:

To me all donutgate is is Sandi likely being the kind of person who only sees things from one perspective: hers. She buys donuts for her co workers all the time, it's something she wants to do for whatever reason, it simply doesn't occur or matter to her to remember that overweight coworkers are starting a diet unless someone reminds her of that fact and explains why continuing to bring donuts in is insensitive.

She is probably the kind of person who would run up to a group of friends and say something like "Hey everybody guess what, I have one extra ticket to this cool concert, so I can take one of you with me, but only one of you, who should it be?" In other words no social tact.

yea i dont think she thought "gently caress ben and his diet. Lets torture him with donuts" She just didn't think about it at all. Same way she doesn't think about whether her employees are actually okay with her taking pics for the internet and not just agreeing because shes the CEOs wife

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
What to do when you have some time?

Play red dead redemption on the official star citizen channel of course,

https://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tokamak posted:

Hitman could be an MMO by that description, it's not actually saying much.

But yes, self-identity is a large part of it. It has increasingly become a marketing label, and a term that CIG may evoke but never self-identifies as. That way, a fanboy may hear the word MMO and dream that the game will be like Eve or WoW but infinitely better, and the 'logical' fans can argue that they never promised any of it when it all goes tits up. I can make a list of things which many MMOs share, but you can find counter-examples and vice versa. It was never a coherent descriptor.

Star Citizen is an instanced multiplayer game that pulls its player data from a single world server. You can make a direct comparison to Destiny, Elite or No Man's Sky, and there are sound technical and PR reasons for why they are not marketed as MMOs. Hell, even WoW has technically become less 'MMO' on the back-end over the years. The main reasons that Star Citizen is not an MMO are that it based on FPS netcode and not MMO netcode, and that progression and social features are nowhere near as fleshed out as an MMO (despite what the citizens imagine).

So despite labelling itself otherwise it could still be regarded as an MMO.

As an aside, what about MMOs that are FPSs? Where is the line drawn between FPS and MMO netcode?

I don't ask these out of spite, I'm just trying to get other opinions on this.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Just to confirm you guys see it too, because ?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Lime Tonics posted:

What to do when you have some time?

Play red dead redemption on the official star citizen channel of course,

https://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity

"You have been permanently banned from talking in cigcommunity."

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
quote not edit bleh

Pointy
Feb 12, 2003

hello old friend
A good RSI poll would be "should CIG help Ben with his medical expenses?" with the same Yes - No - gently caress everybody else options as that one about CIG donating money to charities.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
"This is not an official stream."

*Streams from official CiG account*

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

well I just hope Blesnick have LTI, he really needs it now more than ever

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Lando just said NO BIG REVEAL at gamescom

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SurfaceDetail posted:

Lando just said NO BIG REVEAL at gamescom

Lol

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
lol this guy said hes taking off work for the week to keep up with gamescom

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SurfaceDetail posted:

No big reveal, so its not like the community guys have much to do.

Its just a repeat of the week they had off for E3.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

And no one in chat caught the significance of that.

He said its gonna be streaming whatever version they have. Ship giveaways and sales.

thats it

Pointy
Feb 12, 2003

hello old friend

SurfaceDetail posted:

Even funnier than the guy that took off work to play Diablo 3 on launch day

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
So theyre putting all their eggs in the Citcon basket. A bold strategy.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

SurfaceDetail posted:

So theyre putting all their eggs in the Citcon basket. A bold strategy.

Yup. They are hoping for eggs for Chitcon.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Assuning their published (donation tracker) income is accurate and using a conservative burn rate, how long can they go without mass layoffs?

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

'A Chris Roberts Production'

No I don't think this is a movie at all

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Lando is just dicking through menus and looking at clothes. In other words, pretty much like every other Star Citizen stream.

This explains the direction for SC if this is how they play games.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Cirofren posted:

Assuning their published (donation tracker) income is accurate and using a conservative burn rate, how long can they go without mass layoffs?

Its really hard to say because theres some stuff we dont know. We can say with near 100% confidence they are spending more than they make each month. But beyond that its murky. They won't be closing doors this year I dont think. Honestly I think a studio will be closed sometime next year to restructure the pipeline. Might be worse.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
whats bootchas hot take these days

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Lime Tonics posted:

It looks like he's having fun. :unsmith:

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

SquirrelGrip posted:

whats bootchas hot take these days

Bootcha's still mostly in the dungeon with :fuzzknot:.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

quote:

The only one who could maybe compete, would be someone like Rockstar.

Lime Tonics posted:

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
So uh. He's not even playing. He's talking about old jobs he's had. In the space of 10min he worked for UPS, an IT company then Blizzard at WoW launch, a Night Manager at a Hotel and he was still going when I turned it off.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Games always come second when streaming... somehow

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I did it.. I poked the bear

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sappo569 posted:

Go on...

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
I like how he said that they'll have more streamers next year when more of the game is done. Not next year when the game is done. Next year when more of the game is done.

Game not finished in the first half of 2017 confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Sappo569 posted:

Dont break into hospitals.

• Locked thread