Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
:lol: all that and you guys are still salty, you're so bitter about a game some of you don't even play that you're willing to sacrifice the long term of encouraging people into FGs, period, just to poo poo on SFV.

Sad. Anyways, sleep well y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Nash is the best

Haters can hold this L

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

bhsman posted:

:lol: all that and you guys are still salty, you're so bitter about a game some of you don't even play that you're willing to sacrifice the long term of encouraging people into FGs, period, just to poo poo on SFV.

lmao you loving idiot

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

bhsman posted:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

lmao you loving idiot

that ^

bhsman posted:

also yeah, I'm still salty about SFV being the biggest loving disappointment of a game since Dark Souls 2 and I wouldn't want people to start their FG careers with 8 frames of joy that is SFV of all thing.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/AndrzejTGolota/status/754906778702196736

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

https://twitter.com/AndrzejTGolota/status/754905399124299776

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I don't know who that man is but he should be the FGC representative in every mainstream event

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I don't know what it is about Nash but he makes the game so drat boring.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

that ^

also yeah, I'm still salty about SFV being the biggest loving disappointment of a game since Dark Souls 2 and I wouldn't want people to start their FG careers with 8 frames of joy that is SFV of all thing.

A new person coming off of EVO, and looking to get into fighting games isn't going to give a gently caress about 8 frames of input lag. But go ahead and talk them out of it and into dying SF4, or dead SF3, or whatever iteration of SF that didn't suck that nobody plays. Maybe they can try console only revelator that's an anime air dasher with a harder execution entry point and a burst system that plays about as much like SF as soccer plays like hockey.

Oh PC version is coming winter of 2017? Cool, hold on to that hype for 6 months!

Capcom has botched and bungled SF5 at every turn and does not deserve to be successful for it, and SF5 definitely has some issues (even with the ones they have addressed), but my god this thread is so loving lackadaisical about everything I swear to god we need a SF5 mei meis and chill thread.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

bhsman posted:

long term of encouraging people into FGs, period, just to poo poo on SFV.

We tell them to go to GG XRD. The good choice in fighting games.
If you want someone to stick around then they shouldnt get conned by SFV.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Jack Trades posted:

that ^

a cool game to start with would be a game with a rich tutorial system and single player modes designed to ease a new player into and teach the basics of what can be an extremely complicated and difficult to grasp game genre. soul calibur V is unfortunately only available on last-generation consoles.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

itskage posted:

A new person coming off of EVO, and looking to get into fighting games isn't going to give a gently caress about 8 frames of input lag. But go ahead and talk them out of it and into dying SF4, or dead SF3, or whatever iteration of SF that didn't suck that nobody plays. Maybe they can try console only revelator that's an anime air dasher with a harder execution entry point and a burst system that plays about as much like SF as soccer plays like hockey.

Oh PC version is coming winter of 2017? Cool, hold on to that hype for 6 months!

Capcom has botched and bungled SF5 at every turn and does not deserve to be successful for it, and SF5 definitely has some issues (even with the ones they have addressed), but my god this thread is so loving lackadaisical about everything I swear to god we need a SF5 mei meis and chill thread.

I mean, soccer and hockey have quite a bit in common and also this is already the SFV circlejerk thread so I'm kinda having trouble following your logic here

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

bhsman posted:

Again, there's like a million choices of fighting games right now that dont suffer from crippling bugs, design issues, and KEN FACE.

Guilty Gear
Smash
Pokken
Killer Instinct

and with Tekken 7 and KOF14 on the horizon, why does a badly constructed game get so much push? Because it's Street Fighter? Are the FGC's standards really this low?

If Ubisoft released a game of this caliber, people would be making GBS threads on them non stop.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Dias posted:

I mean, soccer and hockey have quite a bit in common and also this is already the SFV circlejerk thread so I'm kinda having trouble following your logic here

Well like in overwatch land, one thread you circle jerk and get mad about video games, and the other thread you circle jerk and post memes and stay chill.

But yeah that's my point. They are similar, but you might not want to play hockey, you want to play soccer.

Edit: I guess my problem is you see people out there like "Hey I just saw the world cup and it was awesome and I want to play soccer." and everyone is all "No! FIFA is corrupt! It's played outdoors! You should play hockey instead!" "Isn't that only played indoors in skates and with a much much smaller following and community?" "FIFA SUCKS!"

itskage fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 18, 2016

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Following Joe through the tournament was awesome, and I'm so glad he won at least his first match in top 8. Sad he got knocked out, but he put up a hell of a fight.

And now I'm ready for the Nash nerfs.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 18, 2016

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Lothire posted:

And now I'm ready for the Nash nerfs.

I for one would love to see Capcom take the "Icefrog" approach and instead of nerfing Nash they just buff everyone else so that people have even more imba bullshit to exploit.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

play marvel

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Nvm, some answers a few posts back.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jul 18, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

punk rebel ecks posted:

People seem to be angry with Street Fighter V's success, which can be understandable. That said, what games would you prefer to have be the "main event" fighting game for the FGC, or at least traditional FGC.

puzzle fighter

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

itskage posted:

sign has been out on steam for awhile

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Zand posted:

a cool game to start with would be a game with a rich tutorial system and single player modes designed to ease a new player into and teach the basics of what can be an extremely complicated and difficult to grasp game genre. soul calibur V is unfortunately only available on last-generation consoles.

whoa i loved soul calibur v but i don't remember it having any of those things. pokken is a good recent example though, even if it isn't that complicated over all.

namco makes good fighters, can't wait for tekken 7 and hopefully a soul calibur 6. hell if tekken x street fighter ever happens maybe my favorite street fighter juri will finally be in a good game

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

itskage posted:

Well like in overwatch land, one thread you circle jerk and get mad about video games, and the other thread you circle jerk and post memes and stay chill.

But yeah that's my point. They are similar, but you might not want to play hockey, you want to play soccer.

Edit: I guess my problem is you see people out there like "Hey I just saw the world cup and it was awesome and I want to play soccer." and everyone is all "No! FIFA is corrupt! It's played outdoors! You should play hockey instead!" "Isn't that only played indoors in skates and with a much much smaller following and community?" "FIFA SUCKS!"

You're an idiot. You drool with your mouth open and eyes hAlf closed. You're the guy saying hit me in cuckoos nest

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

https://twitter.com/_jnup/status/754897153412194305

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Street Fighter V: Butt to face! Wow Mika!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Nash is rear end in a top hat

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Goetta posted:

Nash is rear end in a top hat

Can confirm.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Nash friggin owns.... Good finals. :)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

itskage posted:

itskage posted:

Not empty quoting. These are good points and analogies.

[edit] Also, just a reminder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vv4X3fp8G0

Still rings true :razz:

teagone fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 18, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I kinda tried replying to that twice yesterday but the forums kept breaking down on my end. Basically, I'd still suggest SFV to someone looking for a first FG, even though I dislike the game myself. More chances at finding people at your skill level, the game is pretty simple and straightforward, etc. If you have friends that play other games, yeah, sure, play those games. If you can get matches with goons then sure, become a CotA master or whatever. But if you're a complete newbie trying to figure out this hadouken poo poo SFV ain't too bad.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

itskage posted:

anime air dasher with a harder execution entry point

word, you can't press 3 buttons in a row?

cool, you don't know poo poo, good to know.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You're gonna front that GG doesn't have a higher execution floor than SFV, really?

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Dias posted:

You're gonna front that GG doesn't have a higher execution floor than SFV, really?

it's literally a chain combo system, what actually makes me mad though is that its somehow SO GOD drat HARD TO PLAY that someone new couldn't pick it up by playing it over and over just like they would SFV. If you like SFV, fine, great, good for you, but PLEASE stop trying to put people off XRD with all this bullshit about having to be some weeb who's already got 1000 hours in fighting games to even begin to understand it, that's complete bullshit.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

boxcarhobo posted:

it's literally a chain combo system, what actually makes me mad though is that its somehow SO GOD drat HARD TO PLAY that someone new couldn't pick it up by playing it over and over just like they would SFV. If you like SFV, fine, great, good for you, but PLEASE stop trying to put people off XRD with all this bullshit about having to be some weeb who's already got 1000 hours in fighting games to even begin to understand it, that's complete bullshit.

To be fair a lot of that is GG fans playing themselves. It's like our local Tekken players, who spend half their time going "our game is SO COMPLEX and SO HARD, fuckin' 2D plebs" and then don't understand when people don't wanna learn Tekken, hehe.

And sure, you can do gatling into sweep and technically that's all you need, but you can also do j.HK into cr.HK and that's all you need in SF too, or target combos. I'm thinking more of "okay, now I wanna get decent at this game", not "this is my first time playing, how do I combo, quick". The novice-to-intermediate poo poo in GG is a lot harder and a lot more punishing than the poo poo in SFV, IMHO.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

dhamster posted:

sign has been out on steam for awhile

Yeah I own it. It's just poo poo that they are behind. Same poo poo capcom did with SF4.

Dias posted:

I kinda tried replying to that twice yesterday but the forums kept breaking down on my end. Basically, I'd still suggest SFV to someone looking for a first FG, even though I dislike the game myself. More chances at finding people at your skill level, the game is pretty simple and straightforward, etc. If you have friends that play other games, yeah, sure, play those games. If you can get matches with goons then sure, become a CotA master or whatever. But if you're a complete newbie trying to figure out this hadouken poo poo SFV ain't too bad.

Yeah this along the lines of what I'm trying to say. Especially when the person is expressing interest in SF specifically.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The EVO bump saw STREET FIGHTER V have over 2,000 people playing for like, multiple hours! We're on the comeback trail!

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
its because people who play for instance guilty gear are for the most part pretty invested and knowledgeable about their game which makes new people think you have to know all the poo poo you learn over a decade right away, whereas street fighter has a reputation for being simple even thoguh its just as crazy as every other game the deeper you get

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Saint Freak posted:

The EVO bump saw STREET FIGHTER V have over 2,000 people playing for like, multiple hours! We're on the comeback trail!

How many are playing Guilty Gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

teagone posted:

How many are playing Guilty Gear?

Almost 200 at a time!