Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Best live action comedy opening since Pitch Perfect 2. A triumph.

Pitch Perfect 2
Opening Weekend 69M
Budget 29M

Ghostbusters
Opening Weekend 46M
Budget 144M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
HEY, SOCIAL PROGRESSIVES, WATCH OUR GHOST FART MOVIE, THE JOKES ARE MADE BY WOMEN!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

NutritiousSnack posted:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-analysis-why-ghostbusters-911836?utm_source=twitter

In a recent interview with THR, Rothman insisted the online bashing was "the greatest thing that ever happened. Are you kidding me? We’re in the national debate, thank you. Can we please get some more haters to say stupid things?"

At the same time, Sony made sure to court males in its marketing campaign, creating special promos that aired during the NBA Finals on ABC between the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Golden State Warriors.

It's impossible to determine whether the naysayers hurt the movie because the opening weekend demographics were inconclusive. Men didn't exactly stay away, but women didn't show up in compensatory numbers either.

Wowzers

Also forgot about the new ice age. Thatll kill it

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol. the "social progressives" wont go see the movie, just like they wont buy your games, trying to dovetail your ad campain and articles exclusively to them directly and making GBS threads on everyone else will only backfire. its the same with the right and trying to get voters.

The interesting thing is this: After all the social media buzz, almost no young people came out to see it. It was all middle aged people.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 18, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Where the gently caress do they get off calling Ghostbusters a live action comedy but not Deadpool?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Well there you go you loving MRAs are you happy now?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Now another question: Would this movie have done better or worse had it NOT been a Ghostbusters movie and instead been something akin to a "Ghostcorps presents... _______"

I mention months ago that outside of the MIB arena, the Ghostbusters formula films don't historically do well: RIPD, Frighteners, Evolution, The Watch, etc. But despite this, had this simply been something other than Ghostbusters, might it have had some better reception? Something someone said about Feig is that his films are sort of known as satires of other films/genres, but with a focus on comedic female leads. Spy is of the Spy Genre film, Bridemaids was the men-behaving-badly film with women, The Heat was the buddy cop movie, etc.

As a not-GB, It becomes a satire of the GB formula films of the last 25 years and not specifically a GB film.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

eric posted:

Well there you go you loving MRAs are you happy now?

Ya

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

eric posted:

Lol there's definitely not going to be another ghost busters. Sony is a trash company being kept on life support by the ps4.

A lot of people keep saying this but Sony's most consistent profits have always come from their Insurance and Financials division, which they only operate in Japan for some reason.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Well there you go you loving MRAPs are you happy now?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

Now another question: Would this movie have done better or worse had it NOT been a Ghostbusters movie and instead been something akin to a "Ghostcorps presents... _______"
at the end of the day, it's still made by Paul Feig, and tentpoles (i loving hate that term) clearly aren't his strong point, so no

Nanomashoes posted:

A lot of people keep saying this but Sony's most consistent profits have always come from their Insurance and Financials division, which they only operate in Japan for some reason.
probably for regulatory reasons, i'd imagine. also that makes them like Konami, who make bank from Japan-only pachinko machines and not video games

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I hope all involved get pinned by their luxury automobiles to their front gates.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

JediTalentAgent posted:

I mention months ago that outside of the MIB arena, the Ghostbusters formula films don't historically do well: RIPD, Frighteners, Evolution, The Watch, etc. But despite this, had this simply been something other than Ghostbusters, might it have had some better reception? Something someone said about Feig is that his films are sort of known as satires of other films/genres, but with a focus on comedic female leads. Spy is of the Spy Genre film, Bridemaids was the men-behaving-badly film with women, The Heat was the buddy cop movie, etc.

As a not-GB, It becomes a satire of the GB formula films of the last 25 years and not specifically a GB film.

I don't think the genre you've created there has enough films in it to do a satire of. Airplane! worked because it wasn't just a parody of Zero Hour, it was mocking disaster movies in general. There were plenty of stock characters to make fun of: the priest/doctor doing his best to keep everyone together, the reluctant hero who has to rise to the occasion, the cute but brave female lead, etc. Look at the films you've listed and what stock characters are there? One guy who's snarky all through the film and that's about it.

The other advantage for Airplane! was it was released at a time when disaster movies, and specifically aircraft disaster movies, were in vogue. Chances were the cinema goer would have recently seen something that was being parodied. Ghostbusters doesn't have that because of how long it's been since the last movie of it's genre, and even longer since a successful one.

So no, I don't think doing this as a non-Ghostbusters satire of Ghostbuster-like movies would work. It needed to be a solid reboot of the franchise, and neither the director nor cast were good enough for the job. Of course, that's just my opinion. But when you're basically saying "Remember how awesome Bill Murray was in that old film? Well we've got MELISSA MCCARTHY in ours!" you're in trouble.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Pvt.Scott posted:

HEY, SOCIAL PROGRESSIVES, WATCH OUR GHOST FART MOVIE, THE JOKES ARE MADE BY WOMEN!

Well it was the first fart joke I've laughed at in years so there's that.
Why do you creeps keep calling people social progressives?
Also how do you MRA types get through life having a problem with women?, I mean a normal bigot probably doesn't have to deal with people who are more brown than them or foreign or like dick all that often but you have to talk and be emotionally attached to women everyday so it's kinda nuts to be all weird about them.

Oh and you fuckwits have ruined my childhood memories of Ghostbusters, god drat all I had to do was think of those movies or the cartoon or the dumb toys and I'd get a happy feeling, now if i think of them I end of thinking of you loving weirdos and how there's people that want those uppity bitches in their place even nowadays and it just makes me pissed off and depressed.
So nice one dickheads...

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

JediTalentAgent posted:

I don't really know.

I think the movie is underperforming (to audience expectations) for several reasons. The big positive is that Ghostbusters is a beloved movie people have been wanting another sequel to for 27 years. The female cast is polarizing with different demographics, but most people can atleast appreciate that it is different from the original Ghostbusters and it was a step to make a different movie.

The downsides are a mixture of things. These 27 years, people were wanting a Ghostbusters sequel, not a reboot. With each year, the idea of a true sequel became more and more impossible with the actors aging, culminating with Ramis's death. Paul Feig's insistence that he not be hampered by the original films' existence is documented as the reason why the film is a reboot and not a sequel. A lot of people were definitely hoping for treatment of the plot closer to Force Awakens where the original actors still played a reasonable (if only small) part and weren't delegated to strange cameos that ultimately took the audience out of the movie. Feig's obsession with arguing with the public also turned away viewers.

If the movie didn't have the "Ghostbusters" moniker, there wouldn't be anywhere near as much drama from the PR fallout as there was, but it also would not appeal to a larger audience consisting of existing Ghostbuster fans either. It's an interesting prospect, but I don't think it's easy to gauge how well the movie would have done otherwise.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Also how do you MRA types get through life having a problem with women?, I mean a normal bigot probably doesn't have to deal with people who are more brown than them or foreign or like dick all that often but you have to talk and be emotionally attached to women everyday so it's kinda nuts to be all weird about them.

Oh and you fuckwits have ruined my childhood memories of Ghostbusters, god drat all I had to do was think of those movies or the cartoon or the dumb toys and I'd get a happy feeling, now if i think of them I end of thinking of you loving weirdos and how there's people that want those uppity bitches in their place even nowadays and it just makes me pissed off and depressed.
So nice one dickheads...

I'm glad of it.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Has patton weighed in

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

So nice one dickheads...

:owned:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

So nice one dickheads...

source ur srs quotes

Germstore posted:

I'm glad of it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

you have to talk and be emotionally attached to women everyday

heh, that's what you think

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think people really wanted another Bill Murray movie and somewhere over the years just got really confused.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

NutritiousSnack posted:

The interesting thing is this: After all the social media buzz, almost no young people came out to see it. It was all middle aged people.

Robocops don't go to movies, or buy video games. Oops. They only protect and serve.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Didnt they shelve f42

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

So nice one dickheads...

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn_vAcFGTJU

comic book girl still really chill and speaking reason

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Plebcomics is great

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
It's me, I'm the proud cluck

reminder that the internet tricked an anti-Trump superPAC into labeling themselves proud corks

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Y-Hat posted:

i'll never vote for donald trump, but if he brings up how many american movie roles are played by aussies, brits etc. and how that should stop, i'll agree with him. bonus points if he brings up Rebel Wilson and points to the fact that there's no shortage of fat blond American women who can do the same thing she does

you're one or two debates away from a trump vote friend.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Boy when do the trump hillary debates start

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Uncle Wemus posted:

Boy when do the trump hillary debates start

Not soon enough.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

So nice one dickheads...

I was mocking Paul Feig's retarded pot-stirring there. I'm actually glad there are more female leading-roles these days that involve the characters doing the heavy plot lifting rather than as a companion of the protagonists at best.

If nothing else, Ghostbusters introduced me to Kate McKinnon who I now even know exists. I've checked out some her previous work the last couple days, despite not having been interested in SNL for years, for example. I like her poo poo and I would like to see more of her. She was really the most enjoyable part of the movie for me.

As for the social progressives thing, I was just aping the language in the posts before mine.

I want the next GB movie to explore the New Jersey Parallelogram. I think that was in one of the cartoons.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

The Grimace posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn_vAcFGTJU

comic book girl still really chill and speaking reason

Would. With a fake name.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUEKreyTkvA

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

wrap it up misanthropailures

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

you must be lost, this isn't four chan

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Is making Leslie Jones an ape a statement about racism or just plain racism? (i already know the answer)

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Germstore posted:

Is making Leslie Jones an ape a statement about racism or just plain racism? (i already know the answer)
why not both

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Germstore posted:

i thought it was a Harambe joke until i noticed it was put where Leslie Jones is

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

eric posted:

LOL who the gently caress rates anything on a 1-8 scale?

in iain m banks's Culture series civilizations are grouped into categories from 1-8 based on their level of technological progress and id really l,ike to see them make Look to Windward or something into a movie thatd be really really cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Retelling the same stories over and over but changing it slightly to fit the times and catch the interest of the audience is pretty much the oldest form of storytelling and not a modern Hollywood invention.

It is actually good that we're doing it with movies now instead of just letting them age and become less and less relevant because "It's a CLASSIC, just watch the original version!" Some new versions will be bad, and people who already liked the old version will always resent the new one, but it's still good that this is happening. And no, it's not proof that culture and society is dying. It's not the new generation's fault that they're more interested in things made for them than in things made for their parents and grandparents.

• Locked thread