Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Spangly A posted:

reported to the met as a hate crime, encourage others to do the same. took five minutes

Google posted:

Best guess for this image: ukip

no poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

reported to the met as a hate crime, encourage others to do the same. took five minutes
Where to they draw the line for conspiracy to murder?

It doesn't look like a hate crime, unless Remain voting MPs are a protected group now. It does look like incitement to violence, but I'm not sure where that gets you in England and Wales unless it's targeting a specific protected group, breach of the peace maybe?

But there has to be a line where somebody is saying "I am going to start murdering people, this is not a joke or hyperbole, I actually think we should plot to murder people." where you're acting in conspiracy, especially in light of recent events.

Like DesperateDan said though, unless the police are bored I can't imagine them escalating it. Be funny if he does get a conspiracy charge though.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

It doesn't look like a hate crime, unless Remain voting MPs are a protected group now. It does look like incitement to violence, but I'm not sure where that gets you in England and Wales unless it's targeting a specific protected group, breach of the peace maybe?

But there has to be a line where somebody is saying "I am going to start murdering people, this is not a joke or hyperbole, I actually think we should plot to murder people." where you're acting in conspiracy, especially in light of recent events.

Like DesperateDan said though, unless the police are bored I can't imagine them escalating it. Be funny if he does get a conspiracy charge though.

outlaw Internet Tough Guys, make the world a better place.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i feel like there's a line between "my political opponents are scum who all should hang" and "let's hang my political opponents" followed by "(with ropes)"

ones a hyperbolic denouncement the flavour of which even this thread is guilty of, one is super clearly calling for violence, explicitly.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

He's calling for remain voters to be shot a week after Jo Cox's funeral.

You know, that MP that was shot for being a remain voter.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

quote:

Thank you for registering as a Labour Supporter, and paying your fee to participate in our selection process to choose Labour’s Leader.

£25 is a lot to spend on a potentially poo poo result but you have to try right :(

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
If you've tried left and didn't like it, yes.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Is it just me who finds Midlands/Wales an annoying conjunction here?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Guavanaut posted:

It doesn't look like a hate crime, unless Remain voting MPs are a protected group now.

They are in Northern Ireland.

Sadly, he's English.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

That's hilarious. Liberals still can't get over 10%. Beautiful.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

tooterfish posted:

He's calling for remain voters to be shot a week after Jo Cox's funeral.

You know, that MP that was shot for being a remain voter.
Yes, that's why I said especially in light of recent events.

That doesn't make remain voters a protected group in the legal sense used for hate crime legislation.

So unless MPs made themselves a protected group it falls outside of incitement. It probably is breach of the peace though.

It might also be conspiracy to murder, depending on how inclined the cops/Crown Prosecutors are on that day. But it probably won't be.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

doesn't give him a free pass to be a oval office however, should be removed from his position

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Should be removed from the country, as per his own stance on 'hate preachers'.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Midlands/Wales being combined is bizarre, so is Labour being behind in London considering how far they were ahead there in the GE and Mayoral election.

jiggerypokery posted:

How do you go about getting your MP deselected? Do you have to petition the party in question? Rally? Attend local meetings and hurl abuse?

When there's a general election, the local MP needs to reapply to the constituency party to stand as a candidate. Usually it's just a formality, but if the constituency party is pissed at them for whatever reason, they can say no. Then, in Labour's case, the NEC will provide a list of candidates for the CLP to choose from.

forkboy84 posted:

That's hilarious. Liberals still can't get over 10%. Beautiful.

It's doubly hilarious considering after an acrimonious referendum where 48% of the country voted to remain in the EU, most of who are very pissed off about the result, they're the only party running on a platform of overturning that result.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Guavanaut posted:

depending on how inclined the cops/Crown Prosecutors are on that day.

It's okay, they have some guidance now-

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Baron Corbyn posted:

Midlands/Wales being combined is bizarre, so is Labour being behind in London considering how far they were ahead there in the GE and Mayoral election.

Don't forget that London voted Boris Johnson mayor twice. Also they're the most Corbyn-sceptic of Labour parties going by Yougov polling from the other day.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Baron Corbyn posted:

sadiq vs jeremy

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

CoolCab posted:

i feel like there's a line between "my political opponents are scum who all should hang" and "let's hang my political opponents" followed by "(with ropes)"

ones a hyperbolic denouncement the flavour of which even this thread is guilty of, one is super clearly calling for violence, explicitly.

It's alright if it involves a wall, a cigarette and a blindfold.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DesperateDan posted:

It's okay, they have some guidance now-

:vince:

CoolCab posted:

I don't think there's enough evidence for conspiracy to murder just from being an abusive twat on the internet. But there is for breach of the peace.

But if the cops did have the inclination, say for example if he were not a white English Kipper, there's more than enough justification there for them to thoroughly search his house for plans and potential murder weapons, and revoke the certificates for any firearms that he has.

Which is what they probably should be doing in this case, but probably won't.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Guavanaut posted:

remainers count as a political affiliation and so I'm sure a good lawyer would have fun with it.

There's also a clear difference between this thread saying all tories should hang (which is true) and a loving politician calling for murder in response to murder

lets start calling for nathan terrances violent death, with guns, and see if he gets pissy

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Political affiliation is only protected in Northern Ireland though.

What he said is out of order and I've no doubt that if he was Muslim he'd be getting his house searched around about now, and probably being arrested either under conspiracy or something in the Terrorism Acts.

As it is, he'll probably get breach of the peace and a slap on the wrist, maybe suspended from his party (not with ropes).

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
It's ok, he was only joking.

Such a fuss over nothing, it's political correctness gone mad. What is this country coming to when we can't threaten to shoot people who disagree with us anymore?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Helen Highwater posted:

It's ok, he was only joking.

Such a fuss over nothing, it's political correctness gone mad. What is this country coming to when we can't threaten to shoot people who disagree with us anymore?

quote:

"Councillor Nathan was obviously joking. He has apologised. We don't see the need for a show trial. There seems no advantage to anyone to take it further."

mumble mumble forget about it mumble

i've got a good one, let's murder someone violently with a deadly weapon.

ba dum pish

no seriously I want them to die

ba dum pish

thanks i'll be here all night

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

He said: "My comment was meant to be taken with a pinch of salt, I thought it was so extreme as to be obviously daft."
Obvious hyperbole, as nobody would actually do such a thing.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
"I thought it was so extreme as to be obviously daft" - Boris Johnson, June 24 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

top bantz from our boys in ukip

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Why would anyone want to know how their local party rep was voting??????

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

nopantsjack posted:

Why would anyone want to know how their local party rep was voting??????

this is obviously an attempt at negative campaigning, though the objective isn't clear at this time

imo one should try to keep internal party things as serious as possible, because one way or another most of these people are going to be working together fairly closely. this whole shambles of a coup attempt has already produced a lot of bad blood - it doesn't need more

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Owning a house in Suffolk is pretty bad though. The public should know about things like that.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I'll ask here because I can't think of a better thread- Anyone have frequent experience with applying for Russian visas from the UK?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coohoolin posted:

I'll ask here because I can't think of a better thread- Anyone have frequent experience with applying for Russian visas from the UK?

You?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

I've only ever done it twice and both times through a school, this is my first time sorting one out for myself and I'm a teensy bit suspicious at some of the info I'm being told.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

What do you need to know about it?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Advice I've heard is to take your time with the application and not Russian to anything.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

big scary monsters posted:

Advice I've heard is to take your time with the application and not Russian to anything.

Well yes, but it's time sensitive so there's no point in Stalin. (I'm sorry HorseLord)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

Well yes, but it's time sensitive so there's no point in Stalin. (I'm sorry HorseLord)

True. I'd definitely recommend Putin it at the top of your to-do list.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Tears, glorious tears!

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/755783016744640512

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Coohoolin posted:

I did it for Ukraine, which I understand is very similar. If you are applying for a work or residence permit, you need a Visa D, which you can get from the Russian Embassy in any country outside of Russia. That's a 45 day visa that lets you enter Russia to change your immigration status once you have arrived. In Russia, you'll then need to apply for the residence permit at the Federal Migration Service. Note that since this year, it's become very difficult to get a residence permit as a foreigner. You need to speak Russian to an acceptable standard (this is tested) and you need to either be born in Russia, related or married to a Russian citizen, have done miltiary service in Russia or have a big ol' chunk of cash that you can invest in Russia. The permit is valid for three years although you have to re-confirm it every year.

If you just want a tourist visa, the embassy has outsourced application to here

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The labour party just made nearby 4 million pounds in three days. Thats one way to raise money, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
375 0000 loving quid, in two days. For all the poo poo Corbyn gets on the economy, he sure can get dem ducats.

• Locked thread