Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Jerkface posted:

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/755930302795673600

I like the aliens for Rogue One. They also revealed the door gunner alien is named Bistan.

Edrio Two Tubes is such an amazing name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Are the twin ion engines fuckable? This is the real discussion.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Silver Brushes posted:

I don't think anyone mentioned this yet but at Celebration Rian Johnson listed several films that he watched during the planning of VIII:

Twelve O'Clock High
Letter Never Sent
The Bridge on the River Kwai
The Dam Busters
Three Outlaw Samurai
Sahara
Three Outlaw Samurai and Sahara are pretty good. Haven't seen the others.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I really like Star Wars episodes 1-7.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Three Outlaw Samurai and Sahara are pretty good. Haven't seen the others.

Bride Iver the river Kwai is excellent

And had obi wan kenobi!!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

I really like Star Wars episodes 1-7.

BUT DONT YOU CARE MORE ABOUT HIW THE BATTLE DROIDS ARE MADE OF SUPER ALLOYS MINED IN THIS SUOER SPECIFIC PROCESS ON THIS PLANET MAKING THAT ALLOY SCARCE SO THE BEEPBOPP SCIENCE WORD COMPAMY CAN GET A STRANGLEHOLD IN THE MARKET

Idnt that what star wars is all about

Millions of little niggles that have literally no meaning or relevance

But my space wizard actually is full of mitochondria and his laser sword is actually a tube of plasma surrounded by a field

And early lightsaber fights were about cutting battery chords

All this nerd detail bullshit is what makes star wars great isnt it? Didnt you love it when Rey went into explicit detail about every single object that can be considered scientific??

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Phi230 posted:

gently caress

Nice freeze down

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Phi230 posted:

Millions of little niggles that have literally no meaning or relevance

Star Wars only has the meaning and relevance that the viewer assigns it.

WHY THE BIG DEAL ABOUT STAR WARS IT'S JUST LIGHT AND SOUND BEING DISPLAYED THROUGH TECHNOLOGY AND HAS LITERALLY NO MEANING. FUUUUUUUUCCCKK

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The prequels were good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Davros1 posted:

The prequels were good.

Hell, when you're right, you're right.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The reaction to "Droids are people" is one of the more curious ones from the self described "devoted fanbase".

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

computer parts posted:

The reaction to "Droids are people" is one of the more curious ones from the self described "devoted fanbase".

They can't be people unless they pass the gom jabbar test. Duh

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Davros1 posted:

The prequels were good.

Attack of the Clones: Great Star Wars movie, or greatest Star Wars movie?

It's my favorite. Once I started appreciating the Anakin/Padme plot line as cynical cringe comedy the whole thing just clicked for me. Not that I disliked it the first time I saw it, but it really helped put everything in context. It is surprisingly humor focused for such a visually ambitious film.

Every time I've seen the Geonosis arena scene it seems more blatantly sexual than ever. On my most recent viewing was the first time I noticed Padme riding a horse drawing a chariot in the middle of the fight followed up by Anakin jumping on the caboose and swinging wildly away with his light saber and went "oooh." It's also a rather filthy film.

Picard Day fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 22, 2016

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

Since you might know the answer, or at least know where to find the answer, could you tell me what metal(s) the TIE fighter was constructed from? How about the A- and X-wings?

I've honestly become quite curious what the "official" answer is, although I recognize I'll never be as happy as when I falsely believed they were aluminum.

Transparent aluminum but then they paint it.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Arthur 'Two Tubes' Jackson

"No, no. Look. This tube business, it doesn't really matter. The tubes aren't important. A few friends call me Two Tubes and that's all there is to it. I wish you'd ask me about my piloting. Everybody talks about the tubes. They've got it out of proportion, I'm a pilot. I'm going to get rid of the tubes. I'm fed up with it!"

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Since you might know the answer, or at least know where to find the answer, could you tell me what metal(s) the TIE fighter was constructed from? How about the A- and X-wings?

I've honestly become quite curious what the "official" answer is, although I recognize I'll never be as happy as when I falsely believed they were aluminum.
Duranium or some poo poo. The cockpit window is made of plasteel.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Every sci-fi material is "unobtanium".

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Johnny Five Aces

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

computer parts posted:

Every sci-fi material is "unobtanium".

The agile single-pilot craft has a titanium alloy hull, and quadanium steel armored solar panels

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Ravenfood posted:

The cockpit window is made of plasteel.

Transparisteel actually. Plasteel is for lower impact things like building windows or landspeeder windscreens.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
He watched Dambusters?

Third (fourth (fifth)) Deathstar confirmed.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 22, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I give it five years until that Death Star sized lightsaber the Hutts commissioned in the old EU gets integrated into Disney canon.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Droids are people does not come up in Star Wars.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Humans are people does not come up in Star Wars.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah, I mean it is pretty clearly just shown that droids are people in Star Wars.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Are jawas people?

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Serf posted:

Yeah, I mean it is pretty clearly just shown that droids are people in Star Wars.

Nope, they're very explicitly enslaved and considered subhuman.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Different droids are given different degrees of on-screen personhood. R2, 3PO, and BB-8 are treated as full characters, no different than their flesh and blood co-stars.

Then you've got the B1 battle droids that, at least in Phantom Menace, are just remote controlled drones, no more "people" than a real world military drone.

Serf
May 5, 2011

El Perkele posted:

Nope, they're very explicitly enslaved and considered subhuman.

Yes. They are slaves. Being a slave is predicated on being a person. If they were just robots, then they wouldn't be slaves. The fact that they are an enslaved people is consistently made clear. The fact that they are discriminated against is something that is shown early in A New Hope.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

jivjov posted:

Different droids are given different degrees of on-screen personhood. R2, 3PO, and BB-8 are treated as full characters, no different than their flesh and blood co-stars.

Then you've got the B1 battle droids that, at least in Phantom Menace, are just remote controlled drones, no more "people" than a real world military drone.

They're sort of linked to the control ship, and they're individually dumb as hell, but they clearly have personalities, right? They never dwell on it of course, but they have military ranks and different voices and stuff, they're kind of weirdly cowardly. I'd certainly class them as people on the strength of their appearance in Phantom Menace, even more so if we take the other movies into account as well.

I just battle droids and I can't have you badmouthing them. :mad:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Shanty posted:

They're sort of linked to the control ship, and they're individually dumb as hell, but they clearly have personalities, right? They never dwell on it of course, but they have military ranks and different voices and stuff, they're kind of weirdly cowardly. I'd certainly class them as people on the strength of their appearance in Phantom Menace, even more so if we take the other movies into account as well.

I just battle droids and I can't have you badmouthing them. :mad:

Oh don't worry, I'm a fan of the B1s (although they went a bit overboard with them in the early episodes of Clone Wars).

Speaking of Clone Wars; yeah, they definitely have a lot more individuality in "things-after-Phantom-Menace"...but I find it unclear if they became 'people' by way of being given individuality, or if they always had programmed personality but that was squashed by the control ship signals.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

jivjov posted:

Oh don't worry, I'm a fan of the B1s (although they went a bit overboard with them in the early episodes of Clone Wars).

Speaking of Clone Wars; yeah, they definitely have a lot more individuality in "things-after-Phantom-Menace"...but I find it unclear if they became 'people' by way of being given individuality, or if they always had programmed personality but that was squashed by the control ship signals.

I just feel like the simplest explanation is that yeah they have the standard droid personality package. Like the Trade Federation clearly built them to have that kind of autonomy, that's the whole advantage of a Star Wars droid over a real world drone. And in Star Wars technology, thats the "cheap" solution. They're "droids", so they have personality.

They were also designed for a very specific purpose and to be completely disposable, so I'm not surprised that they fall to bits when their control ship blows up. Like their brains are probably hard wired to be constantly receiving that signal, it's as vital to them as blood or air.

e: I checked out a few youtube clips. One of the first thing a battle droid says is "Uh oh". That's a person thing to say!

Shanty fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 22, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The stormtroopers are also slaves.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

jivjov posted:

If you take in account the CW cartoon, they definitely have personalities. Like the group who took joy in seeing the terror of the clones they were about to inject into space.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

UmOk posted:

Are the twin ion engines fuckable? This is the real discussion.

Life, uh, finds a way.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Wank posted:

Arthur 'Two Tubes' Jackson

"No, no. Look. This tube business, it doesn't really matter. The tubes aren't important. A few friends call me Two Tubes and that's all there is to it. I wish you'd ask me about my piloting. Everybody talks about the tubes. They've got it out of proportion, I'm a pilot. I'm going to get rid of the tubes. I'm fed up with it!"

*picture of two tubes shows up on screen behind him*

"And when you do your piloting, is it with the tubes?"

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

B1s are pretty clearly self aware in TPM, they use individualistic language, have ranks, and order each other around verbally.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Either B1s are programmed for sarcasm, or they are people. The idea that battle droids were programmed for sarcasm is pretty stupid (who trains their soldiers to be disrespectful of authority?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

If you take in account the CW cartoon, they definitely have personalities. Like the group who took joy in seeing the terror of the clones they were about to inject into space.

No I know, I'm just wondering when they got fully developed individual personalities. Were they there from the beginning and masked/hidden by the droid control ship controlling them all? Or was the personality a result of them being given more autonomy after the weakness of having a sole control ship was exposed?

• Locked thread