Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Mitsuo posted:

I think it's fair that not all the no-confidence-voting MPs were necessarily gung-ho about getting rid of Corbyn and instead just thought he was doomed and wanted to get in the good graces of the coup ringleaders so they didn't get unceremoniously purged.

Not exactly a paragon of virtue, but hey, it's one way out of the civil war. Just get rid of some of the key figures and see how many fall in line afterwards.
Well that and some of them seem to have just found it impossible to work with him (Debbonaire and Greenwood at least, if they're to be believed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

El Grillo posted:

Well that and some of them seem to have just found it impossible to work with him (Debbonaire and Greenwood at least, if they're to be believed).

True, but many of the no-confidence voters were backbenchers or secretaries to shadow ministers. They wouldn't have interacted with Corbyn nearly as much as people like Greenwood.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I swear this coup could be the making the of Corbyn's leadership. If it's spun correctly there's a chance he emerges from all of this looking to the public like a strong leader who sits at the genuine head of the party.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Hoops posted:

I swear this coup could be the making the of Corbyn's leadership. If it's spun correctly there's a chance he emerges from all of this looking to the public like a strong leader who sits at the genuine head of the party.

I think the chances of this are remote.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Hoops posted:

Labour leader allows traitors back into top positions in classic display of weakness, TIBFJC

A real leader would have them all fed to the laser sharks. :colbert:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

So which anti-Corbyn posters do you think are bluecap and pisstie?

Need a breeze in there to see if it flaps.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Renaissance Robot posted:

leader allows traitors back into top positions in classic display of weakness, TIBFJC

i mean

it was bad for Julius Caesar

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Hoops posted:

I guarantee that Corbyn will come out of this looking better than the rest of the Labour Party in the public's eyes. I'm pretty sure that's just because they look like opportunistic morons to anyone regardless of their opinions on Corbyn. I still don't understand why they didn't just try a leadership election first. I honestly think there were enough people wavering on Corbyn that had their support for Corbyn reaffirmed. That could be just anecdotal but I know a lot of people who've been in the party for years that voted for Corbyn first time round but were kind of regretting it that have come out with full throated defences of him since the coup started.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mitsuo posted:

I think it's fair that not all the no-confidence-voting MPs were necessarily gung-ho about getting rid of Corbyn and instead just thought he was doomed and wanted to get in the good graces of the coup ringleaders so they didn't get unceremoniously purged.

Not exactly a paragon of virtue, but hey, it's one way out of the civil war. Just get rid of some of the key figures and see how many fall in line afterwards.

Admittedly this is speculation on my part, but given the Blairite wing's predilection for Rovian tactics I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of bullying and intimidation was going on behind the scenes to get that vote of no confidence.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Lmao, someone messed up their twitter bots:

https://twitter.com/___OST___/status/757483884955176960

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TheRat posted:

Lmao, someone messed up their twitter bots:

https://twitter.com/___OST___/status/757483884955176960

There was another Labour MP who got posted earlier in this thread that was posting the same thing as bots with Arabic names. Maybe they're designed to tweet the same as Labour MPs but that'd be weird. No idea wtf is going on there.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Baron Corbyn posted:

There was another Labour MP who got posted earlier in this thread that was posting the same thing as bots with Arabic names. Maybe they're designed to tweet the same as Labour MPs but that'd be weird. No idea wtf is going on there.

I assume they're setup to replicate specific tweets and either an automatic trigger got hosed up, or someone manually triggered the wrong thing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Baron Corbyn posted:

Flicking through the accounts involved they're almost certainly bots. Bots copy random tweets on trending topics to look more legitimate, and sometimes people pay for them to copy specific tweets. No idea which is the case here.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Flicking through the accounts involved they're almost certainly bots. Bots copy random tweets on trending topics to look more legitimate, and sometimes people pay for them to copy specific tweets. No idea which is the case here.

As much as I'd like to believe Labour MPs are paying to have bots post their lovely opinions, I can't imagine the thought process there.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's been a lot of bots working to make something Smith-related trend on twitter, and John McTernan has a history of twitter-related shenanigans.

Baron Corbyn posted:

As much as I'd like to believe Labour MPs are paying to have bots post their lovely opinions, I can't imagine the thought process there.

Trending. They're trying to manipulate twitter's popularity contest thing.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

TheRat posted:

I tried to have a twitter slapfight with an MP about it, but he backed out before I could bait him in properly :(

https://twitter.com/TomBlenkinsop/status/757582742649466880

That man has a shirt on, but is not wearing a tie!! It would appear he also has his sleeves rolled up?! :aaa: Are we sure this is really a politics-man and not some sort of famous pop-star from America or something?!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

crispix posted:

That man has a shirt on, but is not wearing a tie!! It would appear he also has his sleeves rolled up?! :aaa: Are we sure this is really a politics-man and not some sort of famous pop-star from America or something?!

He's just following his idols:

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The loving imagination vacuums these people are. I despair for humanity I really do.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is this woman anybody in this thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzn4S_TseS4

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

It's me.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

So which anti-Corbyn posters do you think are bluecap and pisstie?

look we've all made mistakes at 15, like turning up to Labour event dressed as a Lib Dem supporter

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Call me Dave talks so much bullshit he needs two microphones?

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Thornberry's alright. She's always good to cadge a fag from if you see her hiding out round the back of hustings/surgeries etc.

She's the only MP I've even been bought a drink by so she has my undying support.

Emily Thornberry: she's generous with addictive substances. Possible campaign slogan?

OvineYeast fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 25, 2016

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Pesmerga posted:

The Guardian is studiously ignoring it in favour of (yet another) breathless update on how darn amazing Owen Smith is. Don't be surprised to see it framed as 'an indication of Corbyn's weakness that he has had to draw on previously resigned cabinet members to keep the opposition going.
TIBFJC.

But then, EIBFJC

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Dawn Foster will be disappointed to have been passed over there.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Corbyn's office saying BBC made up another "source"

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/757623283617497088

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

I'm the 50hz hum.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Regarde Aduck posted:

I'm the 50hz hum.

Pissflaps isn't going to let you steal his identity that easily

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Pissflaps isn't going to let you steal his identity that easily

lmao

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Adam Vegas posted:

It's not that much of a big deal, it's just pretty funny that she's openly tweeting about going to a clandestine briefing about national security.
I would quite like my public figures not to be doing the equivalent of posting selfie's with 'oh god look how cool this is' type stuff really tbh

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

TheRat posted:

Corbyn's office saying BBC made up another "source"

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/757623283617497088

wait, so she isn't back then?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Seaside Loafer posted:

I would quite like my public figures not to be doing the equivalent of posting selfie's with 'oh god look how cool this is' type stuff really tbh

PM May doing a duckface next to The Button

"gettin ready to genocide some commies lol"

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

Pissflaps posted:

She represents all of us.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Looke posted:

wait, so she isn't back then?

No she is, but there was this quote going around:

https://twitter.com/STJamesl/status/757624728718831616

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

No she is, but there was this quote going around:

https://twitter.com/STJamesl/status/757624728718831616

Yeah literally nobody within a hundred miles of Corbyn is going to make that comparison.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

OvineYeast posted:

She's the only MP I've even been bought a drink by so she has my undying support.

Emily Thornberry: she's generous with addictive substances. Possible campaign slogan?

Ben Bradshaw once bought me (and some other students) a drink when I was at uni in Exeter. Still never voted for him and I don't expect that to change any time soon.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So in addition to reporting that Champion returned to work, the BBC reported that corbyn's office thinks that she's... a scab? And wants her to be punished for... helping Corbyn?

How does that even make sense, wouldn't the people striking be the ones saying stuff like that?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

So in addition to reporting that Champion returned to work, the BBC reported that corbyn's office thinks that she's... a scab? And wants her to be punished for... helping Corbyn?

How does that even make sense, wouldn't the people striking be the ones saying stuff like that?

It's from 'a[n unnamed] source', which is currently shorthand for 'complete fabrication'

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

30.5 Days posted:

the BBC article doesn't say that Corbyn's office said it. just an anonymous person 'close' to Corbyn.
anyway, it's a reference to the defeated NUM ending their strike and going back to work in 85. not about those miner's who crossed the picket lines while the strike was on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Illuyankas posted:

It's from 'a[n unnamed] source', which is currently shorthand for 'complete fabrication'

Technically tom watson is close to jeremy corbyn in the labour org chart, and I think it's really hosed up that he's threatening women in parliament like this.

• Locked thread