Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Clearly what we need are Star Trek K'Nex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Star Trek is a terrible fit for LEGO anyway. I mean, okay, apparently the new film is good, but aside from that the last two were awful generic action blockbusters that missed the point of the series. Action figures aren't great at re-enacting cerebral mysteries and philosophical quandaries. If kids want pew pew laser shooting and space dogfights, Star Wars is an infinite well from which to draw from.

Adults will always have collector merch.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tighclops posted:

I hope you're joking because this is actually pretty much what happened to kill off the classic Lego Space subthemes and if this is true also

I've never trusted Star Wars and I never will
I'll never forgive them for the death of my toys

AHA! GOT YOU! The personal log you actually recorded said "I can never forgive them" and the one you're bringing up now in evidence says "I've never been able to forgive them".

This is clear evidence of tampering with the record. Unless you're going to go for that lame "mistake by the moviemakers" route. How do you account for this?

DON'T WAIT FOR THE TRANSLATION ANSWER ME NOW

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tighclops posted:

I hope you're joking because this is actually pretty much what happened to kill off the classic Lego Space subthemes and if this is true also

I've never trusted Star Wars and I never will
I'll never forgive them for the death of my toys

It was stated a lot on the LEGO sites some years back. SW is a proven cash cow and LF didn't want Paramount to get their fingers into that. And now with Disney in control I expect it won't change. There's some behind the scenes poo poo going on where Disney wanted all the DC properties cut out of LEGO Dimensions but since WB owns the company that makes the games thee's no way it would happen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just back from Beyond....way better than I thought it would be considering all of the directoral/writing changes over the last few years.

I wish they had spent a little more time on the villain's interesting backstory rather than shoving it in about 10 minutes before the end though. That was an interesting angle that mostly seems to have ended up on the cutting room floor.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

That was when Disney was trying to do their own toys to life thing. With them cancelling their video games division we'll probably see more games and toys for star wars

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nitrousoxide posted:

That was when Disney was trying to do their own toys to life thing. With them cancelling their video games division we'll probably see more games and toys for star wars

They never slowed down on the actual Lego Star Wars toys. And it's still very unlikely that any Disney owned characters will appear alongside WB owned ones.

DS9 5x17 - Odo had sex with a lady and when she pressed him about how shape shifters have sex he made his shifting noise and she started moaning.

Deep Space Nine is DIRTY.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

What space are we meant to be deep in??? And NINE of them?????? :stonk:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rhyno posted:

They never slowed down on the actual Lego Star Wars toys. And it's still very unlikely that any Disney owned characters will appear alongside WB owned ones.

DS9 5x17 - Odo had sex with a lady and when she pressed him about how shape shifters have sex he made his shifting noise and she started moaning.

That's the sound of him releasing the chicken gumbo.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

He calls that the Cardassian Neck Trick.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Delsaber posted:

He calls that the Cardassian Neck Trick.

I thought that was the Orb Experience

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Wait, Altamid is in another galaxy?!

https://twitter.com/simonpegg/status/757894165984313344

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

ZShakespeare posted:

Anyone noticed yet that the Discovery design is clearly derived from the abandoned Star Trek Phase II 1977 concept?

Maybe there's still hope for the Enterprise-J design! Which I, alone, like.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

qntm posted:

Maybe there's still hope for the Enterprise-J design! Which I, alone, like.

I like some of the concepts behind the J, I just dislike the actual execution.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

So late thoughts/baseless speculation on the STD trailer. I know it's obviously got the look of that old McQuarrie concept, but I still think there's a little bit more we can read into the ship's design than just, "they copied an art." For starters (and I'm amazed no one else mentioned this), it looks like a warship. It's bulky and sturdy-looking with those thick pylons, but streamlined into that wicked arrowhead shape, which gives it a much sleeker and more predatory look than the McQuarrie design ever had. The teaser had a tense score with lots of martial elements, which along with Meyer's association with a more military sort of Trek almost suggest to me that the name "Discovery" might have a hint of irony to it. What's more, there are echoes of the newer JJTrek designs in the ship's coloring and many of its lines, but I think the basic look of the thing (particularly the lack of spindly pylons and tube nacelles) doesn't fit the TOS-era design language at all and probably means it's set in a different era, probably earlier because of the registry number and also because it doesn't fit with a TNG/post-TNG look as it's not nearly as smooth and curvy or "high tech" looking and has a round, flat saucer like the older ships did. I also agree that there is a Klingon (or perhaps Romulan) look to it, but I disagree that this means it's a combined crew. The other reason you might see a ship that incorporates another culture's design is if the technology has been reverse-engineered, which often happens during periods of hostilities.

Which leads me to my new fun theory, which is that this show will be set during/just after the Klingon war as part of a concerted effort to make those Axanar shits die choking on their own outrage.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You guys can't ignore that sabotage-related trivia is an established part of the movies.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Duckbag posted:

What's more, there are echoes of the newer JJTrek designs in the ship's coloring and many of its lines, but I think the basic look of the thing (particularly the lack of spindly pylons and tube nacelles) doesn't fit the TOS-era design language at all and probably means it's set in a different era, probably earlier because of the registry number and also because it doesn't fit with a TNG/post-TNG look as it's not nearly as smooth and curvy or "high tech" looking and has a round, flat saucer like the older ships did.

If I was going to fit it in with existing Trek design lineage, I'd say it looks like part of the Refit/Miranda/Excelsior/Oberth era design family.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I still say the dumbest star trek ship design is the Intrepid. Which, would have looked cool if it had normal nacelles. But no, gotta have them pivot for some reason.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Duckbag posted:

Which leads me to my new fun theory, which is that this show will be set during/just after the Klingon war as part of a concerted effort to make those Axanar shits die choking on their own outrage.

That would just lend validation to them saying they were targeted because they were doing better than the upcoming show.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
"Discovery" isn't exactly a good name for a warship. Sounds more like a science vessel.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

MikeJF posted:

If I was going to fit it in with existing Trek design lineage, I'd say it looks like part of the Refit/Miranda/Excelsior/Oberth era design family.

Yeah, I can see that as well. Some of the details on the saucer made me think of the Excelsior at first, but it's also got some of that flatness the NX and some of the other "old" ship designs have. Really, neither era would surprise me.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
Beyond is the Mass Effect franchise's feature film, starring Chris Pine as Shepard, the Enterprise as the first Normandy and Yorktown as the Citadel.

I just hope the Enterprise had a Stellar Cartography room which played the Galaxy Map theme on repeat:

https://youtu.be/BtS3BRC9MDM

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gammatron 64 posted:

"Discovery" isn't exactly a good name for a warship. Sounds more like a science vessel.

All Starfleet vessels are built with the purpose to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, and to boldly go where no man has gone before. But space is mad dangerous and you need to pack serious heat to do any of that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, I can see that as well. Some of the details on the saucer made me think of the Excelsior at first, but it's also got some of that flatness the NX and some of the other "old" ship designs have. Really, neither era would surprise me.

Actually, the saucer's inlay and general features really reminds me of the Oberth class. The Grissom was NCC-638? Hmm.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

They HAVE to have an AI if they're going with that name.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

WickedHate posted:

All Starfleet vessels are built with the purpose to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, and to boldly go where no man has gone before. But space is mad dangerous and you need to pack serious heat to do any of that.

Also they're frequently given the romantic names of majestic old sailing ships that just happened to have two decks of cannon and full compliment of marines.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

I like some of the concepts behind the J, I just dislike the actual execution.

I like the J, but every iteration I've seen makes it look like the saucer only exists on a 2D plane.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I like the J, but every iteration I've seen makes it look like the saucer only exists on a 2D plane.

I think the intent was for that to give the impression of it being so ridiculously huge you can barely make out the thickness, but I don't know if they pulled it off.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Came across my unopened boxed set of the original series, and then last night saw it was on Amazon Prime so bookmarked it. Then this AM I see this thread. Spooky.

I should probably make a habit of (*re)watching.

(*Watched the original series as a kid when it was on TV.)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The American namesake of Enterprise was a schooner with a few pop guns, not a 2 decker.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume if anything Roddenberry named her for the CV-6, although obviously that ship was named from a ridiculously long lineage.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Gammatron 64 posted:

"Discovery" isn't exactly a good name for a warship.
The Royal Navy's Flower-class vessels gave the world the warships HMS Pansy, Daffodil, Buttercup and Geranium, amongst others. (Other RN vessels with odd names include HMS Spanker, HMS Cockchafer and HMS Black Joke. All of which should be starships, or at least Culture vessels.)

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Hyperriker posted:

Beyond is the Mass Effect franchise's feature film, starring Chris Pine as Shepard, the Enterprise as the first Normandy and Yorktown as the Citadel.

I just hope the Enterprise had a Stellar Cartography room which played the Galaxy Map theme on repeat:

https://youtu.be/BtS3BRC9MDM
Great, now I want to reinstall ME2 again.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/757713549854707716

That's nifty

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Spanker isn't a strange name, it's a sail.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I though they only used NX (Naval Experiment) numbers for prototype ships after the federation was formed. Shouldn't it have an NCC number?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Nitrousoxide posted:

I though they only used NX (Naval Experiment) numbers for prototype ships after the federation was formed. Shouldn't it have an NCC number?

NX-01? From before the Federation?

Ah, a good explanation: http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/07/heres-where-the-franklin-fits-in-the-star-trek-timeline/

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 26, 2016

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Payndz posted:

The Royal Navy's Flower-class vessels gave the world the warships HMS Pansy, Daffodil, Buttercup and Geranium, amongst others. (Other RN vessels with odd names include HMS Spanker, HMS Cockchafer and HMS Black Joke. All of which should be starships, or at least Culture vessels.)

Don't forget the HMS Gay Viking.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Little theme chat from Beyond: both Kirk and Spock consider trying to live up to their idols by doing something out of character and in the end decide to do what they want instead. Notably kirk rides a motorcycle and listens to beastie boys and is happy about it and comfortable with himself, contrasting with the first movie where those were both symbols of a rebellious unhappy kid. If you mentioned you felt that the cast felt comfortable in their roles for the first time, I think that's an intentional theme.

Both Kirk and Spock finally resolve their daddy issues in this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes, which is odd why they would bring Chris Hemsworth back for the 4th one