Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Dude, get you a Ned Rig.

Google it for details, but the jist is using these special plastics from a company called Zman, which are a different type of plastic that makes them super durable, super soft, and super buoyant. The idea is by using one of these small plastics on a very light jighead, you have a lure that can be worked fast to cover water, has amazing action despite being a stick bait, and is super durable.

To start out, order a pack of Zman stickbaits and some Zman 1/15oz jigs. Other stuff will work but not as well imho. Stretch the plastics out to snap some salt out, then cut them in half and use a drop of glue to hold them on the jighead.

The Ned will catch tiny fish and big fish. Using an open hook will help you with hooksets on a L rod. It is a really productive lure and will get you catching. You will loose them often fishing around cover, but a single pack of worms gets you eight baits, so for like $20 worth of tackle you can get a ton of fish.

Looked intriguing. I was using small tungsten bullet weights. So you're saying no weed guard? Also, what size hook should I be using, and should they be offset?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Looked intriguing. I was using small tungsten bullet weights. So you're saying no weed guard? Also, what size hook should I be using, and should they be offset?

The traditional way to rig them is a small, #2-6 exposed hook on a 1/16oz mushroom headed jig. Almost everyone who fishes them changes something but try to do it this way first. Learning to work open hooked in and around cover is a good skill to have and with a L action rod it will really help your hooksets.

If you want to try it weedless, then try a Owner Ultrahead ball jig, 1/16oz w/ a #1 hook. It is the best I have found without buying JDM stuff off of ebay. But it is noticeably harder to make hooksets on smaller fish.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Oh, and don't use a crappie or panfish jig, the Gopher and Zman jigs are small but have strong for size hooks.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

The traditional way to rig them is a small, #2-6 exposed hook on a 1/16oz mushroom headed jig. Almost everyone who fishes them changes something but try to do it this way first. Learning to work open hooked in and around cover is a good skill to have and with a L action rod it will really help your hooksets.

If you want to try it weedless, then try a Owner Ultrahead ball jig, 1/16oz w/ a #1 hook. It is the best I have found without buying JDM stuff off of ebay. But it is noticeably harder to make hooksets on smaller fish.

Cool. I'll try both. what about quick snaps to change my rigs? I have messed up hands and it makes knots difficult. It is almost faster for me to grab my canoe and put it into the water to unhook my line than it is to cut and retie a new set.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The general consensus is that one should avoid them unless there is a clear need, which in your case there seems to be. I would buy a few different styles to try and see which kind allows the best action.

There are also various knot tying aids, but I dont have any experience with them.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
You could also consider attaching a short leader to your terminal tackle with a loop knot on the end. Pair that with another in the end of your line and you can change them out without disrupting the action of the lure near as much. Yes, you've still got to tie knots, but you might find that easier doing it beforehand sitting in the comfort of your home.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Well the sad (or amazing thing) is my fishing grounds are my backyard. I live on a reservoir (it is my backyard) so I could be in a canoe and cast less than 5 minutes from ending this post.

I played around with my gear this afternoon and it seems dark colored worms being top fished (I took off the bullet weight, dropped the shad bait, and also tried a light colored worm) get struck at a really good rate.

YouTube tells me I was hooksetting improperly for top fishing (jerking the rod up as opposed to pulling to the side and reeling in slack) so I'll see what happens tomorrow.

As an aside, I'm really excited and glad you guys are helping me out with this. It's been a lot of fun working through it.

Also, I definitely need a weedless rig for fishing in my backyard if I'm going to use any weight whatsoever. It is heavily covered with leaves, grass, weeds, and logs. Any open hook that gets put at the bottom gets snagged on something.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Woo! Caught a small largemouth top fishing a dark green plastic worm and hook setting off YouTube instructions. Awesome.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 7, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Woo! Caught a small largemouth top fishing a dark green plastic worm and hook setting off YouTube instructions. Awesome.

Nice job! There will be a day where this is the worst part of your fishing trip. As far as your backyard fishing goes, have you tried just using a 1/32 oz jig? If that catches on too much poo poo, add a small slip bobber maybe 1-4 feet down the line (I have no idea what your water depth is or species are so I'm just throwing a guess out there for high enough to not hit weeds and low enough to attract fish that aren't surfacing)

Also I gotta disagree with bongwizard: Use a crappie/panfish jig and never bother catching bass on purpose again, when it comes to eating fish black crappie are the efficient and tasty king

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

extra stout posted:

Also I gotta disagree with bongwizard: Use a crappie/panfish jig and never bother catching bass on purpose again, when it comes to eating fish black crappie are the efficient and tasty king

Bass are just for looking at, not eating dude.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Awesome dude. If you are going to be working a weightless worm on top/sub-surface, then consider a fluke:

Zoom Supers are inexpensive, decently durable, versatile, and imho super fun to fish.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Bass are just for looking at, not eating dude.

Awesome dude. If you are going to be working a weightless worm on top/sub-surface, then consider a fluke:

Zoom Supers are inexpensive, decently durable, versatile, and imho super fun to fish.

Ned rigs are on the way as well. I do have a question though, I had three hooksets yesterday that the fish ended up spitting out. I suspect it's because I'm bending the barbs down and fishing barbless.

Would barbless circle hooks be a good investment for my non Ned rigged setup?

Edit:. And when I say hooksets I mean rod bending, side to side swimming action, not the million tail strikes I get.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Ned rigs are on the way as well. I do have a question though, I had three hooksets yesterday that the fish ended up spitting out. I suspect it's because I'm bending the barbs down and fishing barbless.

Would barbless circle hooks be a good investment for my non Ned rigged setup?

Edit:. And when I say hooksets I mean rod bending, side to side swimming action, not the million tail strikes I get.

This used to be an issue for me until I learned to properly play and then land the fish.

How are you trying to bring the fish in?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

gamera009 posted:

This used to be an issue for me until I learned to properly play and then land the fish.

How are you trying to bring the fish in?

I try to keep good tension in the line and the rod pointed high otherwise they jump and spit the hook. If I leave too much slack it feels like they spit the hook too.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Fishing with barbless hooks is going to lose you more fish The less you become incredibly good about keeping tension all the time. I have started debarbing my hooks when I am fishing open water like in streams and poo poo as I am finding that trying to keep the fish on the line especially in current, is a hell of a lot of fun.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I try to keep good tension in the line and the rod pointed high otherwise they jump and spit the hook. If I leave too much slack it feels like they spit the hook too.

Sounds fine, I guess. If you're using a barbless hook, it's going to be a lot more difficult.

I fish primarily in rivers and streams, so typically a big element of playing a fish appropriately is ensuring you're working 90 degrees to the flow of the water and moving the fish without providing slack. After that, working the net below the fish so it dives into it on its own.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

I'm so proud of all of you :3:

Back in early April my dad and I went fishing for spoonbill. I struck paydirt first with a 30ish pounder:

And because the father will never let his son outdo him, he followed with a 45ish pounder:

I will beat you one day dad. I will beat you.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

You cast-snag them? His eye site should go soon. You'll get your day.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

LingcodKilla posted:

You cast-snag them? His eye site should go soon. You'll get your day.

Yep, snagged them both using treble hooks. Good eating.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Hey I finally get to Post a fish

TheDon01 posted:

Live posting from the boat again. Love having a cell tower on an offshore island.

Just reeled in this beauty of a halibut.

Gotta go, wife just hooked into something too...looks like this is the spot. I'll update when we get home.

Edit: home now. Wife caught a halibut almost identical to mine.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Ocean fish look so weird to me, like, they don't even look like they could swim.

I have just discovered that like every crappy little stream around here seems to have small mouth in it, so I have been spending all my time bushwhacking and wading to catch a bunch of tiny little bastards. I need to knock it off as the white perch season just kicked off an I am missing all the action.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

Ocean fish look so weird to me, like, they don't even look like they could swim.

Yeah, they're weird as gently caress, but these big meaty bastards can swim hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm2mdEVwd1s

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

TheDon01 posted:

Hey I finally get to Post a fish

drat that owns and looks like a serious amount of food. what'd they weigh in at? how easy are halibut to fillet?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TheDon01 posted:

In Alaska news, halibut fishing still seems to be terrible. My neighbor keeps saying "Oh it's not quite halibut season yet" but his loving boat is covered in moss and hasn't moved in decades, also it's almost July.

I've caught a couple nice halibut (~60 pounds) on the west side of Cook Inlet this year. It's as good as always in the inlet. Maybe it's different in southeast? idk.

Also seeing lots of kings on harvest tickets when I check people's licenses over the last month or so, from both Kenai and Susitna drainages. So that's nice to see after the last few years.

No pics for the thread =( But I spent the last week gorging on big fat lake trout. I will have to take more pictures. Reds are almost to Port Alsworth and Bristol Bay produced over 35 million this year so we should be swimming in them soon. v. excited.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

extra stout posted:

drat that owns and looks like a serious amount of food. what'd they weigh in at? how easy are halibut to fillet?

I don't own a scale and I didn't see one at the dock. I'd estimate they're around 45-50lbs. Lots of meat on them and they are fairly easy to fillet.

Edit: LOL I asked the wife how big she thought they were.
"Oh! The fish and game guy at the port measured them, he said they were 10"
"10? 10 what?"
"Hmm, I dunno"

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I've caught a couple nice halibut (~60 pounds) on the west side of Cook Inlet this year. It's as good as always in the inlet. Maybe it's different in southeast? idk.

Also seeing lots of kings on harvest tickets when I check people's licenses over the last month or so, from both Kenai and Susitna drainages. So that's nice to see after the last few years.

No pics for the thread =( But I spent the last week gorging on big fat lake trout. I will have to take more pictures. Reds are almost to Port Alsworth and Bristol Bay produced over 35 million this year so we should be swimming in them soon. v. excited.

Maybe there is more of a season down here, I've pulled in 4 in the last couple days and I've seen lots at the dock.

What part of Cook? I grew up and spent 25 years or so fishing out of Anchor Point/Anchor River.

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 19, 2016

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
In the vicinity of Chisik Island at the mouth of Tuxedni Bay. I do a fair bit of boat driving for researchers working on the west side coast, so while they're off doing science things I "go anchor the boat in a safer spot, see you guys on the high tide" and drown some herring.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Tonight I will catch a fish.

I will catch it, stare into its eyes until it knows it has been bested deep down in its soul, and I will release it with that shame forever.

(They keep jumping and spitting the hooks)

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Kazak_Hstan posted:

In the vicinity of Chisik Island at the mouth of Tuxedni Bay. I do a fair bit of boat driving for researchers working on the west side coast, so while they're off doing science things I "go anchor the boat in a safer spot, see you guys on the high tide" and drown some herring.

Oh man that's directly across, I've fished around that island a few times with my pops. Sounds like you got a sweet gig, you ever need deckhands let me know.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Okay gentleman, I'm too lazy to use imgur but I sent a photo to my fisherman friend and girl I know who runs the seafood department at whole foods and they confirmed I landed at least a 3 lb largemouth bass. I delivered on my promise and it took less than half an hour!

I switched to a 2/0 gamakatsu offset worm hook with a t-rigged yamashenko 4" worm and I fought that fish for at least 5 minutes. He was tough! I thought he spit the hook and I got it stuck in a log at least two times. I had to get a little aggressive to get him out of cover.

As an aside, Gamakatsu hooks feel much, MUCH sharper than eagle claw and I think the overall shape holds a t-rigged plastic better.

Gonna start using those Ned Rigs and dropping some shots by some sunken trees I know about.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Good work fishbro.

I've been out of town for a while working on incredibly stressful and lovely gag. One of my coping mechanisms is to have a few drinks, lay in bed, and buy fishing tackle on the Internet.

I know the gig was really bad as my girlfriend just texted me that she has received no less than five packages for me the last few days. I'm going to be drowning in rubber worms when i get home.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Good work fishbro.

I've been out of town for a while working on incredibly stressful and lovely gag. One of my coping mechanisms is to have a few drinks, lay in bed, and buy fishing tackle on the Internet.

I know the gig was really bad as my girlfriend just texted me that she has received no less than five packages for me the last few days. I'm going to be drowning in rubber worms when i get home.

Thanks! I got some low profile braid that I'm going to load my small reel up with right now.

So I've been reading a few articles from pro fisherman that say using braid either doesn't matter or matters so little they haven't noticed a difference and don't use a leader.

I'm going to switch to that and get some early morning fishing done right now I think.

Edit:. Felt sick, started fishing later than expected. BTW, don't bother with electrical tape for new braided line, it's a pain in the rear end. Spiderwire has a really good guide on their website on how to use a relatively simple knot to get you running smoothly.

Also, braided line rules, is easier to tie, and I caught a fish! I'm going to post my fish photos soon.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 27, 2016

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Went out to try the new Z man finesse tubes. Only had about an hour after fish got these two guys,a smaller smallie and a pair of decent size panfish.

More excitingly, I saw maybe a 20 inch snakehead cruising through the stream. He was not interested in the only lures I had with me, and I honestly didn't think they were this far up this particular river yet.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Goddamnit, is posting pictures through the awful app busted as well?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

I dunno. I'm paranoid to tie my imgur account to SA though, I wish we could upload directly or anonymously.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

I usually have to try about 20 times.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

No pic of the snakehead, but it looked like this:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I dunno. I'm paranoid to tie my imgur account to SA though, I wish we could upload directly or anonymously.

You can make the photo private on imgur but still link it to other sites. Not sure if that helps you or not.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Ok Fella posted:

You can make the photo private on imgur but still link it to other sites. Not sure if that helps you or not.

My three largest fish and my backyard where I caught all of them. This took way too long but I hope you see why I annoyed all of you for all that fishing info over the past few weeks. I caught two different fish today in about two hours of fishing.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 28, 2016

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Anyway, someone help me pick out an approximately $50 spinning reel to put on a 6.5 (or 7) spinning rod.

Every time I see something that looks good on Amazon with a high rating one of the critical reviews shits all over it and I feel dumb.

I may go with the Mitchell 300 Pro because I like my regular 310.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just get a shimano with a quickfire. I've been using them for 30 years. Inexpensive, good casting and durable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Anyway, someone help me pick out an approximately $50 spinning reel to put on a 6.5 (or 7) spinning rod.

Every time I see something that looks good on Amazon with a high rating one of the critical reviews shits all over it and I feel dumb.

I may go with the Mitchell 300 Pro because I like my regular 310.

The Mitchell has been a solid reel for me over the last three years. Definitely recommended.

I recently picked up this guy.

Works well, and I've used it to pull out trout from 6-24". Very smooth, and the performance is excellent.