Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
lol welp

Of course it's a goon project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

bvoid posted:

on the plus side that means we already know they'll never deliver

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I backed a goon book and got a nice book

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

unpacked robinhood posted:

I backed a goon book and got a nice book

But did the goon book you backed deliver?

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Xandu posted:

Manos: hands of fate restoration. I got some of the rewards, but never actually ended up receiving the movie. Either way, significantly delayed.

I got my blu-ray last year, so it did release. The Manos restoration effort got trapped under a crazy amount of litigation, so I can't get too terribly mad at the delay. Maybe you can email Solovey and say you never got your disc?

Edit: double checked, got it October 2015

Sanguinary Novel has a new favorite as of 15:35 on Jul 29, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's an interesting article out there about how nutbar the history of Manos rights are. It even goes into how those weirdoes were able to muscle their way into the Rifftrax Live event.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Is there anyone with a bear simulator avatar still from when the guy came in and lots of people believed very hard in bear simulator

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

stringball posted:

Is there anyone with a bear simulator avatar still from when the guy came in and lots of people believed very hard in bear simulator

Wait. People didn't realize Bear Simulator was going to be lovely goat simulator from the start?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Didn't the guy say that the bear's paws being rigidly held in front of the camera was only for the alpha bulid and he'd be able to simulate bear walking in the proper release? Honestly it seemed like it could be a goofy fun adventure game from the pitch.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just looked at the list of stuff I've backed and for the most part it came out and is good. Wasteland 2, Divinity: Original Sin, Sir, You are Being Hunted and Tex Murphy wouldn't be half as decent as they are if it wasn't for KS.
I also have some stuff like Yooka Laylee, Pathologic and Toejam & Earl on the backburner and they all look promising.
So yeah, Kickstarter is pretty good if you just use some common sense when picking projects.

Then again, I also gave Star Citizen 35 bucks so ignore everything I just wrote.
I also gave Bob's Game 1 Dollar. :q:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The only thing I backed and am kinda miffed how it's turning out is Project Sidologie, a box-set of remixed music from C64 games in style of Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis, Isao Tomita etc., from people hosting the long-living website c64audio.com (if you ever heard of Press Play on Tape or Back in Time concerts - that's where those acts originated). The whole thing was supposed to be ready in June (according to the original campaign from last year), but just few days ago only the first album was released (only in digital). According to the creators, every album (there are 6 remaining) is going to take 4-5 weeks each, then CD manufacturing is going to take place, and then the box itself, with other stuff like BluRay and DVD discs. I'm kinda pissed off because in the meantime there was Kickstarter for another, similar project, plus they pimped some other stuff like The Last Ninja triple album or Bitmap Books' Generation 64/Visual Compendium books, but there were barely any updates regarding the works on albums, and now, when the whole thing should be, at best, receiving finishing touches, is only made in 1/8. I have a feeling that some people broke off from the project, and quite possibly everything is recorded and mastered in creators' spare time. The tracks themselves are really good and show a lot of work involved, but still they should have courage to say "listen y'all, we miscalculated badly and need more time, sorry but we want to be clear". Also I really hope working for two years on video game muzak won't burn out the creators.

Other stuff on KS I backed is either on a good track (like Overdose, the game from Descent devs), or already released, mostly because those projects were made by experienced people (like Bitmap Books or Boss Fight).

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

OldMemes posted:

Didn't the guy say that the bear's paws being rigidly held in front of the camera was only for the alpha bulid and he'd be able to simulate bear walking in the proper release? Honestly it seemed like it could be a goofy fun adventure game from the pitch.

People thought it was funny, so he kept it. The LPs make it look silly and fun, I might get it on sale.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

bvoid posted:

lol welp

who are these goons

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

FlyinPingu posted:

who are these goons

FYAD, I think.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

stringball posted:

Has there been literally anything that has been very on point and not even had the slightest delay really been done?

I feel like a lot should take the valve approach of "when it's done is we tell you the release date", obviously with regular updates still

Or maybe it's a thing of people wanting and expecting poo poo NOW and fully expect it do be done when they say and it puts people off if they do the valve approach

i think people would be better about it if more kickstarters said "when it's done" instead of promising unrealistically soon release dates (as long as they don't go silent for months at a time). i'm not sweatin on barkely 2 since it has (very semi) regular updates and they posted my photoshop on their tumblr.

i mean you'd still get something like mighty no 9 which was inexcusably bad even with (inexcusable for how much money they got) delays but for the most part i think people would rather wait for a good product.

something sorta related but not really it's strange to me when little indie games get way more than their ask and just fail. that sealark game got 50k on a 5k ask and they had to go on hiatus awhile back. if you're working on a little passion project like that shouldn't it be a side thing while you still have a full time job? you give me 50k and i'm cranking that poo poo out every free second i have. same with that weird rpg omori which got an insane 200k missed its release and only had two updates this year. that kind of poo poo is inexcusable it aint a huge game or nothing.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Tiberius Thyben posted:

FYAD, I think.

I'm pretty sure FYAD would be relentlessly mocking and shaming any goon involved with this

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
Setting them up to fail sounds like something they might do.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
In good news, Doublefine might have learnt a lesson or two over the last few years. They announced Headlander at E3 and released it yesterday. It's not crowdfunded, not in early access, just done. I just played around an hour of it and it seems like a really solid little metroidvania.
Psychonauts is in many ways my favourite game of all time and it broke my heart to see them gently caress up so badly with Broken Age and Spacebase DF-9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjZ3jCbX-cA

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

It's too bad Doublefine burnt through a whole lot of goodwill from Psychonauts with Broken Age and DF9 that it's hard to even start to care. How could producing a blu-ray take this much goddamn time? Don Hertzfeldt shipped out his blus in like, months after his Kickstarter ended.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lodin posted:

In good news, Doublefine might have learnt a lesson or two over the last few years. They announced Headlander at E3 and released it yesterday. It's not crowdfunded, not in early access, just done. I just played around an hour of it and it seems like a really solid little metroidvania.
Psychonauts is in many ways my favourite game of all time and it broke my heart to see them gently caress up so badly with Broken Age and Spacebase DF-9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjZ3jCbX-cA

You mean to tell me that now that Doublefine is back under a corporate yoke, in this case Sony, they're actually making completed projects in a timely fashion? :monocle:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

It's too bad Doublefine burnt through a whole lot of goodwill from Psychonauts with Broken Age and DF9 that it's hard to even start to care. How could producing a blu-ray take this much goddamn time? Don Hertzfeldt shipped out his blus in like, months after his Kickstarter ended.

Just buy a cheap burnable blu-ray off Deal Extreme and burn the downloadable videos onto it, because that's exactly what Doublefine will be doing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Guy Mann posted:

You mean to tell me that now that Doublefine is back under a corporate yoke, in this case Sony, they're actually making completed projects in a timely fashion? :monocle:

Both Sony and Adult Swim.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GrandpaPants posted:

Don Hertzfeldt shipped out his blus in like, months after his Kickstarter ended.

Wait, Hertzfeldt had a kickstarter? gently caress.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Waffleman_ posted:

Both Sony and Adult Swim.

Their recent string of classic adventure game remakes happened under Sony, both publishing and helping secure them the rights, so they seem to have found a new home even if Adult Swim is helping with this particular game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

laserghost posted:

The only thing I backed and am kinda miffed how it's turning out is Project Sidologie, a box-set of remixed music from C64 games in style of Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis, Isao Tomita etc., from people hosting the long-living website c64audio.com (if you ever heard of Press Play on Tape or Back in Time concerts - that's where those acts originated). The whole thing was supposed to be ready in June (according to the original campaign from last year), but just few days ago only the first album was released (only in digital). According to the creators, every album (there are 6 remaining) is going to take 4-5 weeks each, then CD manufacturing is going to take place, and then the box itself, with other stuff like BluRay and DVD discs. I'm kinda pissed off because in the meantime there was Kickstarter for another, similar project, plus they pimped some other stuff like The Last Ninja triple album or Bitmap Books' Generation 64/Visual Compendium books, but there were barely any updates regarding the works on albums, and now, when the whole thing should be, at best, receiving finishing touches, is only made in 1/8. I have a feeling that some people broke off from the project, and quite possibly everything is recorded and mastered in creators' spare time. The tracks themselves are really good and show a lot of work involved, but still they should have courage to say "listen y'all, we miscalculated badly and need more time, sorry but we want to be clear". Also I really hope working for two years on video game muzak won't burn out the creators.

Matt Gray's Reformation project is in much the same boat, now being almost a year late. That's a one man show, though, and he admits he's been delayed by the extra album stretch goals. He's also had to take on work for other KS projects to keep the lights on as a result of the delay. Communication is regular and he's released over 20 WIPs, so I don't worry.

Sword of Fargoal 2 is now more than three years late, but that one's a special case: it made goal with $50,161/50,000 and I'm sure Jeff kicked in some savings to push it over the top. It's not a dead project - there was an update to the playable beta a couple of weeks ago - but it's very much ETA: "eventually".

The only project I've actually been burned on was Rocket Ranger Reloaded. Cinemaware took responsibility for the failure to deliver and I got refunded.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

Wait, Hertzfeldt had a kickstarter? gently caress.

You can buy the blu-ray for $30, which is $10 more than the kickstarter price:
http://www.bitterfilms.com/

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As I saw! I just wish I'd known about it at the time, I love his work.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Audio projects seem to generally run late, since artists are usually freelancers who have to do it in their spare time, and audio production and mastering is a really complicated process. However I've backed Chris Huelsbeck, Alexander Brandon, Allister Brimble, Tommy Tallarico and more and despite usually taking 1-2 years the final products are really good. :)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

bvoid posted:

lol welp

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/224492525/ponyfinder-dawn-of-the-fifth-age

15,500 of 1,000 pledged with 19 days to go.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

A goon crowdfunding success story. :)

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Tiberius Thyben posted:

i loving hate goons

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I've mostly backed friends pet projects like short films and cookbooks. The biggest would have been Leisure Suit Larry which was kinda OK. I got digital copies.

Sadly Lowe walked from the project after Paul Trowe was found to have had a crime of showing inappropriate content to a 15 year old girl. Then having a meltdown and insulting other classic adventure game devs.

He tried to fall on his sword and not contest the charge but everything imploded soon after. Replay Games wrote some frilly "Al left on amicable terms" which Lowe disputed immediately, hinting he wasn't happy with being associated with such a character.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tiberius Thyben posted:

It's a victimless crime because anybody who cares enough about D&D to get mad about it is on the exact same level as bronies.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Those balls you can probably get for $1, except for more.

e: Bonus garbage for the dumbest of the dumb.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Driving cross country in the desert of the middle east and run out of gas?

Just show this bracelet to your local isis representative and be on your way :tipshat:

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

You've got to have big brass ones for a pitch like that.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Pay us to make a petition for cartoon dick and vag emoji on your phones.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
Unicode emojis are dumb enough as is.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/876321144/fireflies-affordable-wire-free-earbuds

really doubting they thought they could do this with the $20k they asked for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CommunistPancake posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/876321144/fireflies-affordable-wire-free-earbuds

really doubting they thought they could do this with the $20k they asked for

It depends on if they're just reselling something you can find on Alibaba