Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ceramics posted:

You can find a lot of them on youtube.

Ha. I looked around on a bunch of sites but for some reason spaced on YouTube. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

The Senator Giroux posted:

Which live show has PFT playing multiple characters as the only guest? I think it's a New York show (and if I remember, Adam Scott had to drop out and they talked about it on UTU2TM). The howl descriptions for the live ones don't seem to be accurate.

Oh, hey, I was at that show. That was 5/11/2014 in NYC, the early show, which appears to have not been released. The late show from that day with Wyatt Cenac, PFT, and Bobby Moynihan was, though.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

abraham linksys posted:

Oh, hey, I was at that show. That was 5/11/2014 in NYC, the early show, which appears to have not been released. The late show from that day with Wyatt Cenac, PFT, and Bobby Moynihan was, though.

Bummer. I figured the way Scott talked about it and how good PFT was in it, that it had been released. Oh well.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bummer. I figured the way Scott talked about it and how good PFT was in it, that it had been released. Oh well.

Yeah. There were technical issues or something and it was lost forever. It was a good show and PFT did a fine job but I think Scott kinda plays up good it was. But I barely remember anything about it in retrospect.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Horatio's "I am." toward the end of today's episode...another reason why he's the GOAT. I was disappointed his character was relegated to the final third, but he definitely made up for it.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
it was a good show but I don't remember anything particular other than some funny Cake Bossing. I ended up buying tickets to the late show too since I was a little disappointed it was PFT

(I want to see a PFT-less CBB live some day, as much as I love PFT!)

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I attended the show in Montreal last Friday with a couple friends who had never heard of CBB before - PFT as Big Chunky Bubbles stole the show. Lapkus was good too but the extra two guests Nick Kroll and John Mulaney did characters I wasn't familiar with and they kind of talked too much without letting a lot of interaction in.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Cacator posted:

I attended the show in Montreal last Friday with a couple friends who had never heard of CBB before - PFT as Big Chunky Bubbles stole the show. Lapkus was good too but the extra two guests Nick Kroll and John Mulaney did characters I wasn't familiar with and they kind of talked too much without letting a lot of interaction in.

But these unfamiliar Kroll/Mulaney characters were charming, I'm sure?

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I'm kinda surprised to see Gil and George be referred to as unfamiliar.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I'm kinda surprised to see Gil and George be referred to as unfamiliar.

I listen to podcasts at work so if I'm not too into it I tend to tune it out, I wasn't familiar with Lapkus' character either (Pamela from Big Bear ) but she still got a better reaction from the crowd. Also I'm very upset that this show is a widow Howlapp exclusive :mad:

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I went to the Oh Hello show at just for laughs and it was extremely funny. I sat next to Blake Griffin and he laughed a lot. Really good

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
We got Judd Apatow. Enjoyed CBB live a lot, and saw PFT and Scott at the Take My Wife premiere for Cameron Esposito. Asked a Seeso exec and he said they were trying to make it available in Canada for the end of the year.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How was Take My Wife? I just bit the Seeso bullet last night for Harmonquest.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I like Cameron and Rhea, and I'd still say it exceeded my expectations. Wife wasn't that familiar with either but also liked it a lot.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

JethroMcB posted:

Horatio's "I am." toward the end of today's episode...another reason why he's the GOAT. I was disappointed his character was relegated to the final third, but he definitely made up for it.

I was bored out of my mind during the first segment, but I think that was largely because I saw Keegan Michael Key do a much better job of promoting Birbiglia's movie on the Late Show. I also wish Scott would just shut up about SNL already.

I also think Mary Holland's character was pretty weak, and Scott pointing out that she was taking too long to respond to basic questions ruined Lisa Taco for me.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I legit do not understand or like the characters of Nick Kroll or John Mulaney. I find them both funny in every other facet except for their character work. What am I missing?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

i am the bird posted:

I legit do not understand or like the characters of Nick Kroll or John Mulaney. I find them both funny in every other facet except for their character work. What am I missing?

A sense of humor :smug:

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Puppy Galaxy posted:

A sense of humor :smug:

niiiiiice

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

i am the bird posted:

What about their characters don't you like? What are some examples of characters that you do like from other guests?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

i am the bird posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-qOGOV6tBY

"I like to joke it, but as I said it, I got angry"

IDK what your problem is

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

in all honesty i can understand not liking some of Kroll's characters (even though I basically love all of his stuff) because some of them tend to be cartoony/abrasive and have kind of a bad-SNL-character aesthetic. but I think he's such a good improviser that it always ends up being pretty funny.

the oh hello guys don't have a hook I guess, and sometimes their appearances are a slow burn. they don't have an arc like PFT's characters do, I guess. but man they are funny. i think the best stuff comes from details about their personal lives.

Also, talking about Nick Kroll reminded me of a blog somewhere that said his Liz character from Kroll Show was transphobic

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
One of my all-time favorite CBB bits was Gil and George improvising a scene with Lizzy Caplan that was supposed to be from her upcoming movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f25qKqVXDZI
If you don't think this is funny, I don't know what to tell you.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Nick Krolls characters are universally madtv characters: loud, simple, usually kind of racist.'but if you don't like the oh hello guys idk what to tell you, that's usually pretty good.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Well it's Hollywood facts and we're going downtown.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

SpacePig posted:

What about their characters don't you like? What are some examples of characters that you do like from other guests?

It's not a rational critique, to be honest. Nick Kroll's characters are just zany voices with very little material that hits my funny bone. The two old men characters just sound like old people saying crazy things. I find them and most of Kroll's characters pretty flat and directionless. I've never thought "this character really added to this dynamic" (except for Kroll's mailer daemon) and instead just feel like their characters just take over conversations. I feel like I'm missing a joke about who they're riffing on, or something.

As a counterexample, I love Horatio's characters and they're also largely directionless but Horatio's way better at riffing with other people. And the Adam Scott/Harris Wittels characters were always enjoyable despite being the laziest poo poo ever and having no depth to them at all. Half of Lauren's characters are wacky voice + one insane, obscure interest and she slays.

It's just my own taste, I guess. They're great comedians but not for me.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
It seems to me like the George and Gil characters have gotten a little stale. At least that is my impression of the latest stuff I've seen and heard of them. Back when they first appeared on CBB and the Kroll Show they were a lot funnier and had better patter.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Work Friend Keven posted:

Nick Krolls characters are universally madtv characters: loud, simple, usually kind of racist.'but if you don't like the oh hello guys idk what to tell you, that's usually pretty good.

100% on point. El Chupacabra is an awful character on the surface, it's the performance the takes it to sublime levels.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

i am the bird posted:

It's not a rational critique, to be honest. Nick Kroll's characters are just zany voices with very little material that hits my funny bone. The two old men characters just sound like old people saying crazy things. I find them and most of Kroll's characters pretty flat and directionless. I've never thought "this character really added to this dynamic" (except for Kroll's mailer daemon) and instead just feel like their characters just take over conversations. I feel like I'm missing a joke about who they're riffing on, or something.

As a counterexample, I love Horatio's characters and they're also largely directionless but Horatio's way better at riffing with other people. And the Adam Scott/Harris Wittels characters were always enjoyable despite being the laziest poo poo ever and having no depth to them at all. Half of Lauren's characters are wacky voice + one insane, obscure interest and she slays.

It's just my own taste, I guess. They're great comedians but not for me.

https://vine.co/v/MiOpJl02KZm

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I like when the guy talks like a funny guy

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
that is entirely too much tuna!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Nick Kroll's greatest character was the caller in an early episode who joined the Fire Department to get some of that 9/11 runoff pussy.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
The best characters are usually the ones with the least thought put into them by the best improvisers. Kroll is a good improviser, but all of his characters seem to come in with an establish backstory that he's not really gonna veer from over the course of the improv. He knows exactly what the character is, and doesn't let himself Yes And into "Speaking to the ghost of a sentient R2D2 cake" or "Every one of your characters has a weird, interconnected history tied to a man named Cactus Tony".

I guess a lot of the fun of Kroll's characters for me comes from just how much fun everyone else around them seems to be having. That might sound weird, but hearing comedians laugh at other comedians beings me a lot of joy.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

SpacePig posted:

The best characters are usually the ones with the least thought put into them by the best improvisers. Kroll is a good improviser, but all of his characters seem to come in with an establish backstory that he's not really gonna veer from over the course of the improv. He knows exactly what the character is, and doesn't let himself Yes And into "Speaking to the ghost of a sentient R2D2 cake" or "Every one of your characters has a weird, interconnected history tied to a man named Cactus Tony".

That reminds me, I'd really like a new Andy Daly episode where Jason Manzoukas is either not invited or not allowed to force the character to have a connection with all other Andy Daly characters.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe Scott is the problem

Why do they keep letting that guy on the show

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'd really like another episode with Scott and Jason And Andy.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

That reminds me, I'd really like a new Andy Daly episode where Jason Manzoukas is either not invited or not allowed to force the character to have a connection with all other Andy Daly characters.

I think maybe it's time for Jeffery Characterwheaties should maybe find a new dang character to play and let Andy Daly be on the show as himself for once.

Help Im Alive posted:

Are you crying? Get down off the table and stop crying already.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

I like him but he has a tendency to constantly re-state the weirder parts of a character's back story and/or try and poke holes in it a little too aggressively. I know it's all part of the fun with someone like Andy Daly who is incredibly good at "yes, and"ing but there's a point where it detracts from the funny imo. Especially because Andy's characters almost always have a hook that gets teased out over the course of the segment. Scott does the same thing but a little more selectively.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Darkman Fanpage posted:

It seems to me like the George and Gil characters have gotten a little stale. At least that is my impression of the latest stuff I've seen and heard of them. Back when they first appeared on CBB and the Kroll Show they were a lot funnier and had better patter.

I wasn't a fan of those characters to begin with, I never understood what was so great about them, even on Kroll Show they felt pretty directionless and boring. I think they just like playing those characters, which is fine, just not my cup of tea I suppose. I agree, the penultimate character for Kroll is the 9/11 firefighter run off pussy guy.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

They're very specific intellectual NYC Jewish Manhatanites who just happen to be borderline homeless/insane/sexist/racist. My best description is that they're people who would be background characters during a party scene in a golden age Woody Allen movie, but then afterwards you'd find them eating out of the trash and masturbating to a pigeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

They're very specific intellectual NYC Jewish Manhatanites who just happen to be borderline homeless/insane/sexist/racist. My best description is that they're people who would be background characters during a party scene in a golden age Woody Allen movie, but then afterwards you'd find them eating out of the trash and masturbating to a pigeon.

This. There's a context to them that I feel some people are missing, so it's understandable not everybody finds them amusing. I think you need to have experienced one in real life to really get it.