Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

guppy posted:

One thing that shocks me a little is that the season pass doesn't even include the stages. That's pretty shocking given that the season pass is $30.

Since all the DLC characters in the season pass can be had with just fight money, that means the season pass is only there so you can get the DLC characters' premium costumes. This means that it'd be cheaper just to buy each of their premium costumes individually assuming each of the six characters' costume is still 4 dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I think part of the pricing is for people who are too impatient to save up the fight money.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

SectumSempra posted:

I don't think anyone attacks people for liking sf5.
you are wrong about this and there are hundreds of pages of this thread to demonstrate this. several people spent hundreds of posts attacking people who have tried to discuss this game in this thread. they rationalize it by claiming they are doing a service by coming in here to make no content posts about this game being awful and attacking those who talk about why they like it. i really like this game and it bummed me out so much that there were people coming in who were new to fighting games getting run off by the same people.

if you don't like the game, you don't like the game. many posters, including ones who posted on this page, have spent tons of their time making GBS threads on people who like street fighter 5. i will even take it beyond anyone else and say that i don't engage with this thread any more because there was a solid month where every time i posted, the same small group of people would respond just to troll. it's not a noble battle to save the integrity of fighting games, it's just trolling to troll because people enjoy it.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

cams posted:

you are wrong about this and there are hundreds of pages of this thread to demonstrate this. several people spent hundreds of posts attacking people who have tried to discuss this game in this thread. they rationalize it by claiming they are doing a service by coming in here to make no content posts about this game being awful and attacking those who talk about why they like it. i really like this game and it bummed me out so much that there were people coming in who were new to fighting games getting run off by the same people.

if you don't like the game, you don't like the game. many posters, including ones who posted on this page, have spent tons of their time making GBS threads on people who like street fighter 5. i will even take it beyond anyone else and say that i don't engage with this thread any more because there was a solid month where every time i posted, the same small group of people would respond just to troll. it's not a noble battle to save the integrity of fighting games, it's just trolling to troll because people enjoy it.

:agreed: i've just been adding them gradually to my ignore list so that i only have to deal with it every other page

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

teagone posted:

If this thread was a snapshot of the FGC attitude in general, I probably wouldn't be enthused to try out any other fighting game.

you shouldn't, really, and I'm speaking specifically to you based on the mental image I have of you from this thread and others.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Thank God we have a self appointed fighting game vanguard to tell us what to like.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

ChazTurbo posted:

Thank God we have a self appointed fighting game vanguard to tell us what to like.

play marvel
https://a.pomf.cat/nzjpjy.webm

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

cams posted:

you are wrong about this and there are hundreds of pages of this thread to demonstrate this.

please show me some non-zand examples

note that there is a very big difference between "attacks people for liking sf5" and "calls people out for being full of poo poo"

it's okay to like bad things but most of the people who defend sf5 in here seem to think that criticizing sf5 is equivalent to saying they're an inherently terrible person

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

guppy posted:

I think part of the pricing is for people who are too impatient to save up the fight money.

In fairness, the fight money grind is comparable to the worst Korean MMO grinds. Legitimately grinding up the fight money converts to a really bad $ per hour rate if you convert the fight money into real cash equivalents.

In all seriousness, even if you're very, very good at this game and can legitimately complete each and every character's Insane difficulty survival mode on the first try, you're devoting entire weeks of your life to grinding up the fight money you need to unlock "free" characters, stages, and colors.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 31, 2016

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

ChazTurbo posted:

seriously lol if you let other people control what you like and dislike. that is beyond childlike. the posts in this thread should be taken like a gaming version of aposematism, not dictations on what people should like or dislike. If you honestly have it within you to somehow enjoy this game, more power to you. Personally, I enjoy the game "puzzle fighter" despite it being absolutely horrendously broken. Knowing this does not detract from my enjoyment of the game and if someone were to bring it to my attention, I would still like it the same.

i don't really read anything beyond fighting game threads in Games and I'm not sure if its common for everyone to pretend like truly awful games are actually good and clear out a space for people to post exclusively "positive" comments about how much they like or enjoy a the game is the norm, but is it? When I used to read much more threads in games it was pretty common that broken, unfinished, lovely games that nickel-and-dimed you for content got panned and poo poo talked nonstop. and this is something that's been going on for a while, since before even the release of Anarchy Online in like 2001, which was an unmitigated disaster that was torn to shreds. I remember similar postings in the spore thread, and a variety of other fg threads including SFxT, capcoms other recent failed fg.

honestly the best part about SF5 is how its maybe the finest display of capcoms ineptness and how out of sync they are with what people will actually buy. I mean, this game sold less than SFxT in the same time frame despite being constantly hyped by Capcom Pro Tour. and then zero orders from retailers for q2? absolutely shameful.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Zand posted:

seriously lol if you let other people control what you like and dislike. that is beyond childlike. the posts in this thread should be taken like a gaming version of aposematism, not dictations on what people should like or dislike. If you honestly have it within you to somehow enjoy this game, more power to you. Personally, I enjoy the game "puzzle fighter" despite it being absolutely horrendously broken. Knowing this does not detract from my enjoyment of the game and if someone were to bring it to my attention, I would still like it the same.

i don't really read anything beyond fighting game threads in Games and I'm not sure if its common for everyone to pretend like truly awful games are actually good and clear out a space for people to post exclusively "positive" comments about how much they like or enjoy a the game is the norm, but is it? When I used to read much more threads in games it was pretty common that broken, unfinished, lovely games that nickel-and-dimed you for content got panned and poo poo talked nonstop. and this is something that's been going on for a while, since before even the release of Anarchy Online in like 2001, which was an unmitigated disaster that was torn to shreds. I remember similar postings in the spore thread, and a variety of other fg threads including SFxT, capcoms other recent failed fg.

honestly the best part about SF5 is how its maybe the finest display of capcoms ineptness and how out of sync they are with what people will actually buy. I mean, this game sold less than SFxT in the same time frame despite being constantly hyped by Capcom Pro Tour. and then zero orders from retailers for q2? absolutely shameful.
play marvel
https://a.pomf.cat/xrcxvk.webm

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
You have been visited by the legendary Wall of Text! Mental illness awaits those who dare to try and reach the end. They say that no man has ever finished a paragraph and lived to tell the tale...

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

interrodactyl posted:

please show me some non-zand examples

There's literally one example on the previous page, you don't have to dive very far.

Zand posted:

seriously lol if you let other people control what you like and dislike.

You're definitely misunderstanding something, it's more that every time people here come off as assholes, a normal person's response is "I should probably not play this rear end in a top hat in whatever game they advocate". If their only good means to set up matches is with goons and the signal to noise ratio is too lovely, then they will not enjoy the game very much, because they need to interact with assholes too much. That's pretty much it.

You don't need to sugarcoat SFVs problems, just don't be an rear end in a top hat and expect people to want to play with you :shrug:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Birdie flicks boogers

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You should post in the imp zone if you want to read a readable forum about video games

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

The culture surrounding and the inherent 1v1 competitive nature of fighting games creates an interesting paradigm for discussion when new ones are released. This is particularly true for entries in well-known staple franchises like street fighter. FGs are already fairly niche and have a difficult time attracting new players, so when a new game comes out in a hugely successful and well known series like SF and it completely fails to meet the expectations of experienced die-hard fans AND most casuals/newcomers, it seems really natural to me that the experienced veterans would do everything in their power to steer the new players away from the new game and towards other games that are time-tested and "approved" by the rest of the community. The community that plays these games is extremely particular about what constitutes a Good Fighting Game and the last thing they want is for potential newcomers to play, be disappointed by, and drop FGs altogether. They'd rather them get into a GOOD game and branch out from there, hopefully sticking to FGs in general and expanding the community's core a little bit at a time.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying a game, even if it's bad. Plenty of veteran FGers will tell you that they love playing <X> lovely busted rear end old FG on fightcade - but when they see a lot of these newbloods become interested and inspired to try and pick up fighting games by going all-in on SF5, it triggers some primal instinct in them to try and correct it and save these new players from a short and doomed FG career. There are a plethora of fantastic FGs out there that you can play RIGHT NOW FOR FREE (and others that cost money but are worth every penny) that don't put you through the gauntlet of terrible design and nickel-and-dime DLC bullshit like SF5 does, and it's for this reason that people passionately poo poo on SF5 in hopes of inspiring these people to try and to love much better games and hopefully become part of the playerbase(s) so that when you play the game, there are actual people to play.

Gold Dust Gasoline
Jul 11, 2006

just be yourself and you'll be fine
Pillbug

teagone posted:

If this thread was a snapshot of the FGC attitude in general, I probably wouldn't be enthused to try out any other fighting game.

I started playing fgs recently (few years?) and found a group that plays in my city on Facebook

My experience has been that they are super nice and cool, and I have had a ton of fun playing sfv and other video games with them

I also play sfv with goons at least once a week, and that has been a blast too

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
If people have already been told the cautionary tale about SFV but they still enjoy it, then great! Like it or not one thing SFV has going for it is more mainstream appeal. Here in Lansing (if not Michigan in general) the only game that has had staying power is Street Fighter. It brings people together to mash buttons, be it locals or tournaments. In NLBC the only game that consistently had people show up is Street Fighter, same with WNF. Meeting people who play the same thing you do is cool. New people get to experience the whole "play fighting games competitively under one roof" that otherwise wouldn't, and that's a Good Thing.

For the record, I'm one of those old grumpy dudes who stopped practicing SFV because they got sick of its problems, but I'll still go to locals and stuff because it's enjoyable to meet up with people and play despite that. I just won't take the game seriously because online functionality is hopelessly broken and that's my best avenue of practice.

Other Good Games like Revelator, while being good, have the major problem of being too niche to have anything other than netplay + "play with your friends offline". States like Chicago and New York are an exception since they have monthlies for Revelator and other anime games. The best thing you can do here is "start it yourself", but that's a big undertaking specially if all you wanted to do was play some games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zand posted:

yeah but if you were discussing puzzle fighter with your buddies and every five seconds someone came in to shout PUZZLE FIGHTER SUCKS that'd be annoying as gently caress

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

It's very annoying to see a poorly made game getting to scoot by on name recognition alone, especially when there are alternatives that have are better put together, but get not nearly as much recognition.

You shouldn't be able to get away with releasing a sub standard product, for any reason. On the other hand - if you look at the numbers maybe Capcom won't.

Gold Dust Gasoline
Jul 11, 2006

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

yeah but if you were discussing puzzle fighter with your buddies and every five seconds someone came in to shout PUZZLE FIGHTER SUCKS that'd be annoying as gently caress

You're talking to a dude that will sit on the sfv discord for hours to say stuff like "gently caress you" to people looking to play matches lol

Good luck changing his mind my man

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I enjoy playing sfv a few times a week but i usually switch to rev after a few matches cause its objectively better. I like to stay up on the trainwreck status of the game and i find cammy to be legit fun to play against the scrub ken army

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gold Dust Gasoline posted:

You're talking to a dude that will sit on the sfv discord for hours to say stuff like "gently caress you" to people looking to play matches lol

lol

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Endorph posted:

since when is a discussion thread on an internet forum in any way analogous to a conversation with friends?

thats funny as hell but thats not me if someone is doing that

Gold Dust Gasoline
Jul 11, 2006

Pillbug
If it's not you that is actually pretty funny

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
The august character reveal looks good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE63-2CI0fQ

I imagine someone will probably make thew dolls into legit characters eventually.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 31, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Looks about the same, quality-wise, as all the other characters.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Honestly other than the input lag I wouldn't even call other gameplay aspects like stubby normals, unsafe sweeps, homogeneous combo routes, etc. necessarily bad. Not only do I find fighting games (hell, even sf5) inherently fun, it's just how the game is designed, and I can respect that. What's unfortunate is that capcom really, and I mean really bungled everything surrounding the gameplay and when my sf5 playing buddy who's worried about the next dark age of FGs wants to play on my PC but can't use his stick because directinput still isn't officially supported by the game client, well, times are tough as they say. The moral of this story is I somehow logged more hours playing Invisible Inc. in a month than playing sf5 since the PC beta.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

play marvel
https://a.pomf.cat/asvusw.webm

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

bad metaphors posted:

Honestly other than the input lag I wouldn't even call other gameplay aspects like stubby normals, unsafe sweeps, homogeneous combo routes, etc. necessarily bad.

I swear I would be willing to accept all the dumb design choices they made if only they would fix input lag and netcode at the very least.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
The discord gently caress you-er should come forward so they can receive the praise they deserve

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Zand posted:

you shouldn't, really, and I'm speaking specifically to you based on the mental image I have of you from this thread and others.

You stalking me in other threads? That's weird, dude.

[edit] If you want a picture of me, just ask. No need to form a mental one.

I started playing fgs recently (few years?) and found a group that plays in my city on Facebook

My experience has been that they are super nice and cool, and I have had a ton of fun playing sfv and other video games with them

I also play sfv with goons at least once a week, and that has been a blast too

I've fortunately met a handful of goons who I played USF4 with regularly, and only played SFV with for a bit until I got distracted with Overwatch and real life stuff. I've played SFV a few times at a local LAN cafe and met some pretty chill people. I was basically just calling out how terrible this thread is and am glad that it doesn't represent the FGC.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

apple posted:

If people have already been told the cautionary tale about SFV but they still enjoy it, then great! Like it or not one thing SFV has going for it is more mainstream appeal. Here in Lansing (if not Michigan in general) the only game that has had staying power is Street Fighter.

Mt pleasant was mostly poverty and anime games which was sick, but i moved before SFV came out so I don't know what it's like now

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

teagone posted:

You stalking me in other threads? That's weird, dude.

[edit] If you want a picture of me, just ask. No need to form a mental one.

ive seen you post in this thread and the other sf5 thread before and other fg threads. its not weird, after a while i just started to associate daenerys targaryen with poo poo opinions, just like how you've likely associated my name and avatar or any other common fg poster with a certain image. i mean, we've been posting in the same threads for a long time together so its only natural. its like how everyone expects the bhsman shrug emote post, the apple posting from experience/authority post, the dangerdoom volvo one-liner shitpost, bebop posting short videos or effort and content for some reason post, fereydun posting dmc gifs post, etc... its the teagone patently bad opinion post

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Zand posted:

ive seen you post in this thread and the other sf5 thread before and other fg threads. its not weird, after a while i just started to associate daenerys targaryen with poo poo opinions, just like how you've likely associated my name and avatar or any other common fg poster with a certain image. i mean, we've been posting in the same threads for a long time together so its only natural. its like how everyone expects the bhsman shrug emote post, the apple posting from experience/authority post, the dangerdoom volvo one-liner shitpost, bebop posting short videos or effort and content for some reason post, fereydun posting dmc gifs post, etc... its the teagone patently bad opinion post
lol yeah this is a great place to be

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

this game is crazy boring sometimes to watch but for some reason when mike ross is in over his head against a bad silver league player or rogue AI terminator or whatever its really entertaining.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Real hurthling! posted:

this game is crazy boring sometimes to watch but for some reason when mike ross is in over his head against a bad silver league player or rogue AI terminator or whatever its really entertaining.

Mike Ross is entertaining and schadenfreude is a powerful force.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
I think sfv is bad but that zand is being a straight up pissbaby itt

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Zand posted:

:allears: Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anime was right posted:

I think sfv is bad but that zand is being a straight up pissbaby itt