Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I fail to see any issues with this kid.

:shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Shaggar posted:

also the certificate enrollment web service is just SOAP so you could write your own client and do certificate requests and maybe even auto-enrollment for Linux if you wanted to, but that would mean actually writing code which is against open sores policies. open sores is about using what other people have written and bitching if it doesn't work.

really? there's an API? because I spent a lot of time looking for it, maybe you have a link?

i probably won't care because I already wrote a client to handle signing the requests

here's the problem with windows people through; your first bit of advice was "right click on certmgr" and that's loving awful, full stop. you can't automate poo poo like that. it's 2016, i loving expect to be able to program poo poo to do this without being forced to use Windows-specific libraries or tools.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

programmatically invoking powershell cmdlets is perfectly robust, we are not in bash land here

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Red Square Bear posted:

I fail to see any issues with this kid.

:shobon:

ugh kids aren't supposed to have fun DANCING. they should be playing REAL games like doom

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

uncurable mlady posted:

your first bit of advice was "right click on certmgr" and that's loving awful, full stop. you can't automate poo poo like that.

Sure, you can automate right clicking on poo poo with AutoHotkey :v:

:suicide:

Dumb question because I don't really know what you guys are talking about : I assume you were hoping for an API you can use over the network or something?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol do you really think MS was the only ones supporting md5 certs at the time? it was stupid but MS fixed it promptly and patched all their poo poo. go have a look at what's in the trust chain of a distro at the time or what garbage ciphers an openssl install will present

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

programmatically invoking powershell cmdlets is perfectly robust, we are not in bash land here
people on the insider build are in bash land, and everyone else will be in bash land once the anniversary update hits

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm trying to understand how you know what powershell is, but can't figure out how to use powershell to automate a task

also lol at :qq: you have to use the gui :qq:, most of the management gui has basically become a wrapper for powershell tasks since 2010 or so

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shaggar posted:

lmao so wrong, windows ca is the best by far

Shaggar posted:

what? there are like a dozen ways to sign csrs and the best is to just use auto-enrollment when possible.

also lol @ whining about powershell when the only way to do certs on Linux is bash.

swr

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

infernal machines posted:

i'm trying to understand how you know what powershell is, but can't figure out how to use powershell to automate a task

also lol at :qq: you have to use the gui :qq:, most of the management gui has basically become a wrapper for powershell tasks since 2010 or so

MS is known for the excellent flexibility that linux cannot possibly fathom

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what obtuse edge case are you referring to where there's a task that can only be accomplished through the gui in a microsoft os released in the last decade?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

yeah lemme just call a powershell cmdlet from a Linux machine, I'll get right on that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831611.aspx

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MiKKKro$haft posted:

Supported desktop computer browsers

Windows® Internet Explorer® for Microsoft Windows® 8.0, 9.0, 10.0, and 11.0
Mozilla Firefox® 10.0.2
Google Chrome™ 17.0.963.56m for Windows
Apple Safari® 5.1.2 for Windows
Apple Safari 5.1.2 for Mac OS®

:dawkins101:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 2, 2016

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

its boring standard html, I've never seen a browser have problems with it, even mobile

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so what, you're using a linux that isn't macos and you can't figure out how to fake a supported user agent string to pass commands to a web server?

or you know, just use winRM via openwsman

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i mean 30 seconds of lazy rear end googling comes up with this

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/powershell/2014/09/29/simple-http-api-for-executing-powershell-scripts/

assuming this were somehow related to your job you could probably have done the same

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

really? there's an API? because I spent a lot of time looking for it, maybe you have a link?

i probably won't care because I already wrote a client to handle signing the requests

here's the problem with windows people through; your first bit of advice was "right click on certmgr" and that's loving awful, full stop. you can't automate poo poo like that. it's 2016, i loving expect to be able to program poo poo to do this without being forced to use Windows-specific libraries or tools.

theres a win32 api for it but if you're in Linux world you're probably gonna want to use the certificate enrollment web service: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd759241(v=ws.11).aspx

idk if anyone has written a client for Linux already but its soap so you can do it in whatever language you want.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Last updated 2013.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

theres a win32 api for it but if you're in Linux world you're probably gonna want to use the certificate enrollment web service: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd759241(v=ws.11).aspx

idk if anyone has written a client for Linux already but its soap so you can do it in whatever language you want.

parentheses in urls. gg ms

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

in other microsoft clearly does not give a gently caress news, the manual update utility for the anniversary update spawns a shortcut on your desktop named "Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant" the program itself is titled "Windows 10 Update Assistant"

does it matter? no.

is it sloppy bullshit that should have been caught and corrected? yes, as is pretty much everything else that's wrong with windows these day

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they fired everyone that cares

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Chris Knight posted:

parentheses in urls. gg ms
the parentheticals are supposed to signify different versions of the same document, but that only works for like 5% of technet articles. if you want to look up a c# method in different versions of .net you'll probably use the parenthetical (with the drop-down next to the "applies to:" section") but if you want to look up something's functionality between different versions of windows server those are on completely separate technet hierarchies and the parentheticals don't do anything, even though they still show up in the url by default. you can also drop the parenthetical entirely and it'll go to the most recent version of the thing the document applies to, except when there's one document for, say, exchange server 2003-2010 and another document for 2013 and a third document for 2016/exchange online.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

JewKiller 3000 posted:

thanks for the useful and informative post, too bad you had to be a shithead for 2 pages first

cry more about computer trolls in the computer troll forum. loving idiot. rofl

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so hololens is now available to everyone in NA for the low low price of 3000 american dollars

for some reason it still has a 32bit cpu

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Smythe posted:

cry more about computer trolls in the computer troll forum. loving idiot. rofl

piss off

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

for some reason it still has a 32bit cpu

Nah, its a 64 bit cpu. The same one that powers the Surface 3.

Intel EOL the chip this year.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
aw yeah anniversary update downloading now.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Owned bitch. :qq: more about it hahaha

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

incoherent posted:

Nah, its a 64 bit cpu. The same one that powers the Surface 3.

Intel EOL the chip this year.

dose microsoft know that?

Microsoft Hololens Product Page posted:

code:
Processors               Intel 32 bit architecture
                         Custom-built Microsoft Holographic processing unit (HPU 1.0)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

aw yeah anniversary update downloading now.

it's poo poo

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

dose microsoft know that?

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-hololens-processor-storage-and-ram

They ran an app on it to spit CPUID out. There must be reasons for why it's only on 32bit version of windows 10, but this is pure left hand-right hand microsoft.

E: to formally answer your question, no they do not.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Anniversary update is so good.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
didnt get one

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

they finally put an audio output chooser on the volume slider

win10 is good now

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Shaggar posted:

yes, this is what i wound up doing, i sniffed the requests because its not SOAP, its just a straight up multipart form POST

its still about 200x more bullshit than it needs to be

weirdly enough i fixed the problem before i came itt to bitch about how much work it was to fix a problem that wouldnt exist if, y'know, there was a RESTful web service with published documentation and MS didn't try to force you to use their awful ecosystem for everything when you want to touch one part of it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

incoherent posted:

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-hololens-processor-storage-and-ram

They ran an app on it to spit CPUID out. There must be reasons for why it's only on 32bit version of windows 10, but this is pure left hand-right hand microsoft.

E: to formally answer your question, no they do not.

lol, shocking

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

carry on then posted:

win10 is good now

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

carry on then posted:

win10 is good now

omg. theres so much good stuff.