Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Doctor Butts posted:

Whoop de doo. GOP may turn on Trump. That will do nothing except embolden Trump supporters since it adds to his Anti-Establishment credentials.

His supporters are not a large enough demographic to win an election. They need moderates to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Because you don't know that the nukes from Pakistan are only ever heading towards India, and vice-versa, and waiting for that to be confirmed could take long enough that you're screwed on timing your retaliation if it turns out you actually need to.

The Israelis would notice that Pakistani missiles would be flying east towards India. Who else could they possibly be aimed at?

China would notice that India's missiles are flying west toward Pakistan. Who else could they possibly be aimed at?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

Ah okay, I see what the confusion was. It wasn't Trump that said that comment about nuclear weapons, it was one of his idiot staffers:

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2015/12/19/3734020/trump-nuclear-weapons/
Same article demonstrates trump not understanding what the nuclear triad is. Noice.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Charlz Guybon posted:

The Israelis would notice that Pakistani missiles would be flying east towards India. Who else could they possibly be aimed at?

China would notice that India's missiles are flying west toward Pakistan. Who else could they possibly be aimed at?

I'm not saying I disagree, but if nuclear policy were entirely based on rationality, we wouldn't have had the Cold War.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I don't like nukes for the same reason most of my unit hated when we had to use helicopters. If you die it's not on you. It's completely out of your control.
I mean at that rate that's a lot of loving things to hate. Indirect fire of all kinds, any asymmetric scenario, etc. Most people resent nukes for the massive and indiscriminate lethality.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Man will never have the guts to fire nuclear weapons, thus our enemies know we will not retaliate.

I have developed a walking tank, running on an AI with information from a dead ww2 hero, and it will always fire, and MAD will be back in place.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

Ah okay, I see what the confusion was. It wasn't Trump that said that comment about nuclear weapons, it was one of his idiot staffers:

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2015/12/19/3734020/trump-nuclear-weapons/

Her being ignorant, doesn't mean Trump also wasn't ignorant.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Nah you can dodge and take cover from indirect fire!

And yeah the whole killing lots of civilians thing is bad as well.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

Trump being ignorant is axiomatic at this point.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

What does uspol think of nukes re Japan?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

waitwhatno posted:

Well, if he is really a citizen why wouldn't he release his birthing video? I'm not saying that he isn't a citizen, just that if he was, there would be no need for this secrecy. It makes you think, makes you think that something is fishy. Not necessarily that he wasn't born a citizen, but that something is not right with his citizenship and that it has something to do with him being in office legally. You know?

He already released it at the White House Correspondent's Dinner.

https://youtu.be/2bqEn8AXzJ4

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/760846165701165056

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

greatn posted:

Man will never have the guts to fire nuclear weapons, thus our enemies know we will not retaliate.

I have developed a walking tank, running on an AI with information from a dead ww2 hero, and it will always fire, and MAD will be back in place.

Make FOXHOUND Great Again.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Charlz Guybon posted:

Consider that he hired her

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

greatn posted:

Huey account spotted.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arrgytehpirate posted:

It's a derail on the same scale as tipping and cooking steaks.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Nukes bad. We should formally apologize to the Japanese people.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Nukes bad. We should formally apologize to the Japanese people.

You don't think that a massive land invasion wouldn't have caused even more civilian casualties than the nukes? Not to mention the loss of US troops.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Please just start another thread for the inevitable Japan nuke discussion. In fact, start a nuclear weapon thread in general and take all non-Trump related nuke chat there.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
oh god, the :911: :japan: derail is coming! everyone duck and cover!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

You don't think that a massive land invasion wouldn't have caused even more civilian casualties than the nukes? Not to mention the loss of US troops.

*sucks air through teeth*

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

See you tomorrow folks.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Starting an argument about this in this thread will cause more civilian casualties than either. Please just start another thread.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Last time I started a thread I got banned. I'm scared

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Either start a new thread or search for it in one of the USPOL threads from this year and read quietly.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

Who's arguing otherwise? :confused:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I was thinking about the two often-repeated political phrases this year "This is the slowest Economic recovery ever" and "We're due for a recession". Could these two things have something to do with each other? As in i'm hypothesizing obama has been knocking it out of the park so well that we had a "recession", and it just slowed growth instead of shrinking the economy so nobody noticed?

Disclaimer: Only took 4 credits of economics, not an economist.

People say this has been a slow recovery because it has been in terms of GDP growth, but it has nothing to do with Obama and it's frustrating when economic conditions are politicized like this. The recovery has been slow because the 2008 crisis was incredibly bad, probably worse than a lot of people realize, because global growth has been abysmal for years now, and because there are still structural economic issues that haven't been dealt with.

It's also worth keeping in mind that central banks have really been in the driver's seat for the last few years and the recovery is mostly being kept afloat through monetary policy since meaningful fiscal policy is impossible as long as the Republicans hold the government hostage. It actually is possible that we might have avoided an actual recessionary period some time in the last few years thanks to the Fed essentially keeping their foot on the floor, but that's arguably not a good thing given that they're now trapped into near-zero interest rates.

People who say that we're "due" for a recession are really just pointing out that this particular growth period has gone on a while. Recessions don't just happen, but risk factors naturally increase as you move through a business cycle.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Can anyone briefly explain the ongoing "school segregation" thing in NYC or point to an article that briefly explains it?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

lol. Tea Partiers' main M.O. is primarying anyone they find to be insufficiently pure, and now they are crying because they weren't given institutional support against more moderate primary challengers by the establishment. It's like a boxer whining that his opponent is moving and punching back.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly, the US seems to have dealt with the recession far better than Europe just because it didn't get nearly as manically into austerity and was willing to have some inflation going on.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

greatn posted:

Pretend I linked here to the in depth Chapo Trap House discussion of the relationship of the 2016 election to MGS2

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gorelab posted:

Honestly, the US seems to have dealt with the recession far better than Europe just because it didn't get nearly as manically into austerity and was willing to have some inflation going on.

We had a president who genuinely wanted to do more stimulus and got stymmied by congress. Things could be better if it weren't for 2010.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

Pretend I linked here to the in depth Chapo Trap House discussion of the relationship of the 2016 election to MGS2

If this is a real thing don't pretend to link it. Link it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Paradoxish posted:

People say this has been a slow recovery because it has been in terms of GDP growth, but it has nothing to do with Obama and it's frustrating when economic conditions are politicized like this. The recovery has been slow because the 2008 crisis was incredibly bad, probably worse than a lot of people realize, because global growth has been abysmal for years now, and because there are still structural economic issues that haven't been dealt with.

It's also worth keeping in mind that central banks have really been in the driver's seat for the last few years and the recovery is mostly being kept afloat through monetary policy since meaningful fiscal policy is impossible as long as the Republicans hold the government hostage. It actually is possible that we might have avoided an actual recessionary period some time in the last few years thanks to the Fed essentially keeping their foot on the floor, but that's arguably not a good thing given that they're now trapped into near-zero interest rates.

Obama's stimulus plan was massively smaller than was recommended by Keynesian economists, he was bargained down by Rahm Emanuel (then Chief of Staff) before the plan even got to Congress and they bargained it down further from there. Obama was also stupid enough to think that he could ask for more at a future date when it was perfectly clear from Day 1 that he was going to get exactly one shot at stimulus.

Of course you can't fault Obama for creating the 2008 crisis or anything like that, but you can certainly fault his responses to it as timid and naieve. And for selecting Rahm as CoS.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's how fine everything is.
https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/760850984926973955?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

fishmech posted:

But it's also somewhat helpful that people generally overestimate how much damage nuclear war would do, as it keeps down the amount of people who actively support doing it.
sid meier's contribution to world diplomacy

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Arrgytehpirate posted:

If this is a real thing don't pretend to link it. Link it.

it is really short and is contained in yesterday's premium episode

not very memorable unfortunately, I think Felix is gonna do a segment dedicated to it on another show

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

How did they get a live look in on Reince Priebus like that.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Charlz Guybon posted:

I mean...
https://twitter.com/sopandeb/status/760831908964077568

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Wait, they think it is payback for the 1979 coup hostages?

No, they think this was a payoff to earn the release of those 3-4 totally innocent not at all spies that Iran had arrested for various clear spy activities.

• Locked thread