Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Grendels Dad posted:

Screw RoboCop, he's too edgy/grimdark/tryhard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioop9HEam7I&t=116s

He is pretty edgy I agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Not to derail current discussion because this is great and I enjoy reading it, but:

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This is a dumb non-sequitor.

Being about America is one of the basic functions of Captain America's character. It's like how Batman is a vigilante, or Superman is an alien saviour.

If you don't think a movie about the fallout of an American based special operatives unit of questionable ethical origins (2 human genetic experiments, 1 burned spy and an experimental test pilot with a stolen prototype.) operating in a third world country to take out a threat they created themselves to fight what they considered at the time to be a bigger threat is about America....

I don't know what to tell you man.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

LGD posted:

Because, again, you are defining "bad" in reference to your personal opinions. People do not generally flock to entertainments that they believe are "bad" (as in things that they find unenjoyable). There are obviously all sorts of price constraints and social pressures at play, but a lot of people eat at McDonalds because they genuinely like it compared to the alternatives. People genuinely think the Bayformers movies are good. I disagree, but there are definitely positive qualities in both cases that drive real enjoyment.

Huge numbers of people saw Batman v Superman and Man of Steel. Batman v Superman is currently the sixth highest-grossing movie of the year in the US. So apparently people believe those movies are pretty good, by this metric.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I always thought this was a problem on this forum even among posters who do try to analyze the movies. There isn't that much focus on the construction of the movies and most of the analysis I see focuses only on ideology based on a big picture assessment of the movie, or only a few smaller details.

What I'm saying is we need to bring back Bad Avengers Shot of the Day and have more moviefights.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Moviefights and shots of the day are cool.

We don't need moviefight, though. You can go into the Beavis thread yourself and find that it's chock-a-block with close-readings and votive screen captures of awesome cinematography, etc.

Like, Suicide Squad doesn't have a chance in space or Hell of being as well shot as Beavis, but once the dust of haterade has settled, it'll be nice to see some dissertation on what the film actually is, not what it's 'supposed to be,' so sayeth the Lord.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Just to clarify, I am my favourite superhero. I am funny but tormented like Ironman, a good upstanding guy like Captain America, uhhhhh

I can be immature like scarletwitch, I am awkward like the vision, ummm

I can like Captain America like the wing guy, I can like Iron Man like the other Iron man, I have family like Hawkeye, I can kick it with the boys like Black Widow, I am funny like Ant Man, I was a teenager once like Spider man,

Bucky is cute, like me.

so basically you're legion

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Jenny Angel posted:

A lot of what fucks that tarmac sequence up is how, in an attempt to get those full-team splash panel shots in there, they've made everyone move at similar paces and in similar ways. As such, it lacks that vital energy and childlike wonder that composes the good half of the "smashing your action figures together" idea, because nobody's really moving in a way that tells you anything about what kind of physical and emotional perspective they bring to the fight beyond "I can/can't fly".

Instead, we're left with the bad half of smashing action figures - commoditized, interchangeable action. Ain't no kid ever told his friends "okay we've got five power rangers and five monsters, and let's bring them together real carefully... nice and easy..."

There isn't much characterization outside of dialogue, half of which is sarcastic. Meanwhile the shot of Bruce Wayne waking up next to some faceless floozy and checking out the view of the misty lake from his glass house says plenty about him without him ever opening his mouth.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Moriatti posted:

Not to derail current discussion because this is great and I enjoy reading it, but:

If you don't think a movie about the fallout of an American based special operatives unit of questionable ethical origins (2 human genetic experiments, 1 burned spy and an experimental test pilot with a stolen prototype.) operating in a third world country to take out a threat they created themselves to fight what they considered at the time to be a bigger threat is about America....

I don't know what to tell you man.

The most American thing in the movie is actually Captain America defying the UN.

Jenny Angel posted:

A lot of what fucks that tarmac sequence up is how, in an attempt to get those full-team splash panel shots in there, they've made everyone move at similar paces and in similar ways. As such, it lacks that vital energy and childlike wonder that composes the good half of the "smashing your action figures together" idea, because nobody's really moving in a way that tells you anything about what kind of physical and emotional perspective they bring to the fight beyond "I can/can't fly".

Instead, we're left with the bad half of smashing action figures - commoditized, interchangeable action. Ain't no kid ever told his friends "okay we've got five power rangers and five monsters, and let's bring them together real carefully... nice and easy..."

Some trips to Youtube tell me that the final version is slightly better.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I always thought this was a problem on this forum even among posters who do try to analyze the movies. There isn't that much focus on the construction of the movies and most of the analysis I see focuses only on ideology based on a big picture assessment of the movie, or only a few smaller details.

What I'm saying is we need to bring back Bad Avengers Shot of the Day and have more moviefights.

Two superheroes:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective Dog Dick posted:

There isn't much characterization outside of dialogue, half of which is sarcastic. Meanwhile the shot of Bruce Wayne waking up next to some faceless floozy and checking out the view of the misty lake from his glass house says plenty about him without him ever opening his mouth.

I said it there but I'll say it again - the best characterization there is Ant Man. Instead of the cute dialogue explaining his various relationships like that nauseating Hawkeye/Black Widow stuff, he's characterized by being shown that he is not 100% on what his powers actually do. It culiminates in giving that extended sequence some tension by accidentally almost killing people a couple of times.

Electromax posted:

Two superheroes:

I know the first is from QOS (I think) but what's the second from?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

People generally don't believe that what they like is "bad".

Yes. The thing is that we're discussing people trying to sell something extremely similar to those same people that you think have garbage opinions, on exactly the same terms. Those people are demonstrably willing to try it, but they demonstrably like it less after they do. Is it unfair to describe the less popular thing as an inferior, or "bad" product relative to the first one?

Sir Kodiak posted:

Huge numbers of people saw Batman v Superman and Man of Steel. Batman v Superman is currently the sixth highest-grossing movie of the year in the US. So apparently people believe those movies are pretty good, by this metric.

you know its almost like this has been specifically addressed and aluded to multiple times in my posts

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Looks like John Wick

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

LGD posted:

People do not generally flock to entertainments that they believe are "bad" (as in things that they find unenjoyable). There are obviously all sorts of price constraints and social pressures at play, but a lot of people eat at McDonalds because they genuinely like it compared to the alternatives.

Except as you pretty much admitted in your last response to me, this is a super outdated mindset. Ask Pepsi how much their blind taste test has moved the needle for them. Ask any smartphone manufacturer how much they've benefits from campaigns that tout their better-than-iPhone tech specs. Product quality is only one driver of many in consumer choice, especially for a purchase with as low barrier of entry as a movie ticket, and you've said, paraphrased a bit, that you have no idea about :

A) Which attributes comprise that driver
B) The importance of that driver compared to others

Which, y'know, I agree! Neither of us have access to the kind of market research data that would let us draw rigorous conclusions about this issue. Which is why I feel like it's more useful and insightful to spitball with qualitative hypotheticals like some folks have been doing, e.g. with the point about clarity of characterization, rather than holding up a black box and insisting it contains all the answers while also admitting it contains no answers

Shanghai skyscraper fight in Skyfall and nightclub rampage in John Wick

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LGD posted:

Yes. The thing is that we're discussing people trying to sell something extremely similar to those same people that you think have garbage opinions, on exactly the same terms. Those people are demonstrably willing to try it, but they demonstrably like it less after they do. Is it unfair to describe the less popular thing as an inferior, or "bad" product relative to the first one?

Let's once again translate the bullshit:

"If people like these movies less than others, is it fair to call them bad?"

This is irrelevant. A relevant question would be something like "are these movies good or bad?"

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
criticizing people for not using subjective enough language rather than making an effort to understand and respond to what they mean is a jive rear end move

Electromax
May 6, 2007

I said it there but I'll say it again - the best characterization there is Ant Man. Instead of the cute dialogue explaining his various relationships like that nauseating Hawkeye/Black Widow stuff, he's characterized by being shown that he is not 100% on what his powers actually do. It culiminates in giving that extended sequence some tension by accidentally almost killing people a couple of times.

Skyfall/John Wick

Regrettably both superheroes murder their adversary at the end of the fight :sicknasty:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

LGD posted:

People buy things = good?

Here is how criticism works. Somebody describes some art, sometimes at the end of it they say: Because of these reasons, this film is bad.

Then you propose that bad does not exist. Who cares what you or the first guy think is bad? If you engage the argument at all, you can still sound smart!

So now you are here attempting to define "bad" and "good", purely in market terms I will add, while simultaneously proclaiming that there is no such thing as "bad movies". What is your end-goal? Why or why not did you enjoy Civil War? Surely it is not because you checked the box office rankings after the movie?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Looks like John Wick

I should have recognized that lanky fucker.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Jenny Angel posted:

Except as you pretty much admitted in your last response to me, this is a super outdated mindset. Ask Pepsi how much their blind taste test has moved the needle for them. Ask any smartphone manufacturer how much they've benefits from campaigns that tout their better-than-iPhone tech specs. Product quality is only one driver of many in consumer choice, especially for a purchase with as low barrier of entry as a movie ticket, and you've said, paraphrased a bit, that you have no idea about :

A) Which attributes comprise that driver
B) The importance of that driver compared to others

Which, y'know, I agree! Neither of us have access to the kind of market research data that would let us draw rigorous conclusions about this issue. Which is why I feel like it's more useful and insightful to spitball with qualitative hypotheticals like some folks have been doing, e.g. with the point about clarity of characterization, rather than holding up a black box and insisting it contains all the answers while also admitting it contains no answers

I would say those are not good examples because they would only be one determinant of overall quality from the standpoint of a consumer- i.e. initial taste is not the same as the experience of drinking an entire bottle of soda (which is where Pepsi fell down), and technical specifications are only a small and frequently unimportant portion of the overall experience of using a Smartphone (which is much more OS/app driven). On the flipside, if there are deficiencies in either taste or the power of hardware you better believe that's going to affect things. I guess I'm down to spitball about the determinants, but I feel like this is something a lot of better informed and funded people have tried, and it's resulted in many box office failures and formulaic cinema.

Let's once again translate the bullshit:

"If people like these movies less than others, is it fair to call them bad?"

This is irrelevant. A relevant question would be something like "are these movies good or bad?"
Or you could try answering a question rather than just "translating" things to whatever you want or eliding large portions of my posts. And again, if you do not think what I am discussing is relevant (as you frequently proclaim) you are free to stop talking about it!

LGD fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 3, 2016

Electromax
May 6, 2007

I should have recognized that lanky fucker.

Not even the first time they've met in such a fashion:

He's the guy who looks like if Jon Hamm had come up through the Serbian mafia.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I get that the CU is organized like a TV show, but I can't understand if that really makes a difference in whether people go to see new movies. Like, the content of each movie is defined by that policy, but are people really going to remember a semi-abandoned plotline about Teenager-Omnipotent Robot romance, and specifically watching Avengers 5 for the resolution to that?

Does anybody here care?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

bring back old gbs posted:

Lmao holy poo poo that is right and I did enjoy that. The grimdark rain and everything was probably a positive in that regard.
I rewatched Burton's Batman a few weeks ago. Didn't think much about it at the time, but the first thing I think about outside the non-costume scenes are stuff happening in art galleries. It makes the Joker that much more compelling when you see Bruce Wayne appearing wooden, commenting on all this priceless art he owns but doesn't seem to care about, embarrassing a snide journalist. Then there's a scene where Joker invades an art gallery, "improves" the art by vandalizing it, and says that his violence is art. Strange juxtaposition. Just thinking out loud.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

LGD posted:

you know its almost like this has been specifically addressed and aluded to multiple times in my posts

It's been addressed via other statements that are essentially contradictions, not clarifications. That is to say, that huge box office numbers for Batman v Superman don't count because it's front-loaded. It comes across less as you actually having an argument, but simply picking rules and exceptions until things are divided up the way you'd like. That's why I brought it up again, as your most-recent statement that "People do not generally flock to entertainments that they believe are 'bad'" isn't clearly consistent with what you've previously said, making it an opportunity to expand and clarify. It's not an attack, I'm just trying to understand here.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Halloween Jack posted:

I rewatched Burton's Batman a few weeks ago. Didn't think much about it at the time, but the first thing I think about outside the non-costume scenes are stuff happening in art galleries. It makes the Joker that much more compelling when you see Bruce Wayne appearing wooden, commenting on all this priceless art he owns but doesn't seem to care about, embarrassing a snide journalist. Then there's a scene where Joker invades an art gallery, "improves" the art by vandalizing it, and says that his violence is art. Strange juxtaposition. Just thinking out loud.

Pay attention to Wayne's gallery. It's a seemingly random assembly of armors. There might as well have been a giant penny in the back. Or some notes attached to the European and Japanese armor reading 'nope' and 'kinda like this' respectively.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Electromax posted:

Whoa.

It's really the same guy? That's cool... of Keanu? Or is he everywhere?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I found the thing where Joker is looking at Vicki Vale's portfolio and popping a boner at gritty photos of a napalm attack or whatever very intriguingly 90's when I was a kid.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's been addressed via other statements that are essentially contradictions, not clarifications. That is to say, that huge box office numbers for Batman v Superman don't count because it's front-loaded. It comes across less as you actually having an argument, but simply picking rules and exceptions until things are divided up the way you'd like. That's why I brought it up again, as your most-recent statement that "People do not generally flock to entertainments that they believe are 'bad'" isn't clearly consistent with what you've previously said, making it an opportunity to expand and clarify. It's not an attack, I'm just trying to understand here.

Because they were genuinely convinced/hoped it was going to be a good movie based on marketing and a pre-existing attachment to the characters/comics/comic universe? Plenty of them also thought it was good. Just fewer than thought that in the case of the Marvel films, something that can be seen in critical reviews/box office results/etc. This isn't a "more money = better than" thing, it's a "we have pretty solid evidence that these movies have genuinely disappointed a lot of their intended audience" thing, and slagging the competition or making up bizarre theories about how the "Marvel formula" has poisoned audience expectations in such a way that people cannot see the virtues of the superior product placed before them is just daft.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Whoa.

Here's his IMDB. A mixed bag I guess.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0076780/

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LGD posted:

Or you could try answering a question rather than just "translating" things to whatever you want or eliding large portions of my posts. And again, if you do not think what I am discussing is relevant (as you frequently proclaim) you are free to stop talking about it!

What you asked was whether or not it's fair to call movies bad if people don't like it.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 18, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Really the difference between movies slammed as total failures and movies heralded as universal successes is around 20% audience approval. From ~65% -> ~85%. One in five people is the difference between a complete irredeemable piece of garbage and a universally-beloved wonderful movie. It truly is a time of extremes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

The vast majority of people who clamor to watch marvel movies are literal children. Most adults don't give a poo poo about them and only buy the ticket to see it with their kids. Kids enjoy them because they have no frame of reference as to what a well shot, well characterized movie looks or sounds like.

quote:

Audiences were 59 percent male and mostly adults.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/captain-america-civil-war-nabs-fifth-best-opening-ever/

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Electromax posted:

future war

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ah, a tool.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

LGD posted:

I would say those are not good examples because they would only be one determinant of overall quality from the standpoint of a consumer- i.e. initial taste is not the same as the experience of drinking an entire bottle of soda (which is where Pepsi fell down),

don't read malcolm gladwell books

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Vintersorg posted:

Whoa.

John Wick was the movie that made me look him up too. He seems to be Bargain Bin JCVD but whenever he gets to punch Keanu, magic happens :allears:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The movies I like are good. The movies I don't like are bad.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The co-directors of John Wick were stuntmen on the Matrix movies, which is how they ended up doing the movie in the first place - Keanu approached them about doing stunt work or choreography for it, with the underlying thing being "you should just direct this".

They fell in love with the concept and rewrote the script from there and pitched a take and got the job.

Thus, like half the people John kills in the movie are people who Neo killed in The Matrix movies. Because it's just a big happy family of stuntmen.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Electromax posted:

That guy's great in John Wick.

That movie is full of interesting, one or two scene goons.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

LGD posted:

Because they were genuinely convinced/hoped it was going to be a good movie based on marketing and a pre-existing attachment to the characters/comics/comic universe? Plenty of them also thought it was good. Just fewer than thought that in the case of the Marvel films, something that can be seen in critical reviews/box office results/etc. This isn't a "more money = better than" thing, it's a "we have pretty solid evidence that these movies have genuinely disappointed a lot of their intended audience" thing, and slagging the competition or making up bizarre theories about how the "Marvel formula" has poisoned audience expectations in such a way that people cannot see the virtues of the superior product placed before them is just daft.

Note that I haven't slagged the competition or made up bizarre theories.

Anyways, this is exactly what I'm getting at. Box office seems to matter right until it doesn't, and there's no cohesive thesis for when it does and doesn't matter. "People do not generally flock to entertainments that they believe are "bad" (as in things that they find unenjoyable)," and yet they flocked to the DC movies, as evidenced by them making more money than most MCU movies. So of course there's this other consideration to explain why in this case they did flock to something they believe is bad.

So it ends up being about the money, until they make a lot of money. Then it's about the critics, but somehow that represents popular opinion, not just critical opinion. I've read all your posts and all I see are special cases, not a single thread that holds together across the argument. I'd love to know what you think that single, cohesive thread is.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 3, 2016

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Hat Thoughts posted:

don't read malcolm gladwell books

Alternatively, read Malcolm Gladwell books so you can know when people are quoting Malcolm Gladwell books

Like I'm pretty sure that's where Trump got this idea all of a sudden that we ought to replace our entire military communications infrastructure with couriers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
For real though this thread is Kevin McCarthy running into traffic, screaming at everyone who'll listen that the Marvel movies are secretly bad and they're all wrong for liking them.

• Locked thread