Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Michael Dorn also did well enough to afford his own fighter jet. No, I poo poo you not. Worf has a fighter jet.

I hear he's a regular attendee and occasional participant at airshows these days. Apparently he's been interested in aviation for a long time, but it wasn't until after TNG he was able to pursue it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

Patrick Stewart, Levar Burton and Whoopi Goldberg already had fairly prolific acting careers before TNG. Patrick Stewart is also one of the greatest actors alive.

I hear he's won 37 individual awards!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

TheBigAristotle posted:

I used to work with Avery Brooks' college roommate at Oberlin and he said his girlfriend was also hot, remembered her name and I looked it up and it was his wife. And she looks like she was probably hot back in the day.

And that's my famous person story.

My mom was in a play with him in college. I don't think they were especially close but I believe they may have had orb experiences got high together.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Astroman posted:

In a row?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Astroman posted:

Yeah, for acting.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Gates McFadden taught an acting class for film majors at my college.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

In fact, the budget was reduced and the main sacrifice was made in razors for Frakes.

And diet soda for Frakes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Whoopi Goldberg was definitely the biggest star on the show at the time. LeVar Burton would've been second and I am not sure if Patrick Stewart was known at all in the US. I suppose I, Claudius would've aired.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The only way you would have known about Stewart would be if you were some kind of New York City richmans that went to off-broadway productions.

So no, not a single person in the fandom would have been aware of him.

Forgot about Whoopi. I guess Jumpin' Jack Flash was out by then.

Also, didn't someone say Dorn made a shitload of money by investing in Fuddruckers when it was getting off the ground? That's how he can afford all his planes and stuff, not the Trek residuals.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Stewart was in Dune which is exactly the kind of poo poo Trekkies would have watched.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Was Whoopi even in the first season? I feel like Ten Forward was a season two innovation.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dirty posted:

Late-90s me can back this up. Late-90s me did extensive research. Leeta's boobs are part-costume.

EDIT: Now I think about it, I remember hearing that the starfleet uniforms also had all sorts of padding going on. Apparently it was against the rules for there to be any hint of a bra. If bras are obsolete in the 24th century, then starfleet must be using some kind of forcefield tech, which sounds about right for them. I remember reading an interview where Nicole de Boer mentioned her uniform was padded for size as well as smoothness, so I guess starfleet has a minimum boob size as well. I think some of the guys also had padding, like Worf, and I assume Frakes because past season 2 he just sort of became a smooth cylinder. Combined with the type of actors they used, the end result sort of gave all 24th century starfleet officers the same smooth body shape.

The original uniforms actually gave Patrick Stewart back problems.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tunicate posted:

The original uniforms actually gave Patrick Stewart back problems.

What? How?

Are you sure you're not mixing up stories with Frakes, who had back issues and that was why he did his amazing "leg over the chair" move?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVIGhYMwRgs

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I remember the same thing. The original uniform was so tight that you had to struggle against it constantly.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Skin-tight spandex with no give whatsoever meant they were constantly pulling down on the actor's shoulders.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Was Whoopi even in the first season? I feel like Ten Forward was a season two innovation.

No. She first shows up in the b-plot of the season 2 premiere, the one where the a-plot is that Troi gets impregnated by an energy being in her sleep.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Plus the spandex-laced material retained body smell/odour like a mofo and they smelt bad under the studio lights.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

Skin-tight spandex with no give whatsoever meant they were constantly pulling down on the actor's shoulders.

Yep. And ordered a size too small to make sure they absolutely had no wrinkles.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the original uniforms were a disaster. They gave everyone back problems due to the constant tension. They were also odor sponges, they could never get the stink out of the spandex.

That's the main two reasons they went to two piece wool uniforms.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

English broadcloth is the only acceptable uniform material. Duck for lava planets at captain's discretion.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Nessus posted:

Doesn't look like it, but S2 did only have 22 episodes due to other poo poo going on, so they'd have had more money rattling around on a per-episode basis - especially since one of those episodes was a clip show.

Season 2 went over budget, which is why they had to do a clip show at the end.

Rob Bowman posted:

It was Paramount saying, 'We gave you more money for "Elementary, Dear Data" and the Borg show. Now do us a favor and give us a three-day show.' So that's what you do. It's an accepted part of the medium.

Having said that, all their effort does show - Q Who is a fantastic-looking episode and it really helped sell the Borg as something new and different.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

After The War posted:

Season 2 went over budget, which is why they had to do a clip show at the end.

The clip show was due to the writer's strike more than anything else.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WampaLord posted:

What? How?

Are you sure you're not mixing up stories with Frakes, who had back issues and that was why he did his amazing "leg over the chair" move?

Stewart's chiropractor told him that he would suffer permanent spinal damage if he continued wearing the costume, and so he demanded costume changes before he would show up to start shooting the third season.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Timby posted:

Stewart's chiropractor told him that he would suffer permanent spinal damage if he continued wearing the costume, and so he demanded costume changes before he would show up to start shooting the third season.

Man, that's really hosed up. How bad do you have to gently caress up costume design to cause that?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WampaLord posted:

Man, that's really hosed up. How bad do you have to gently caress up costume design to cause that?

As mentioned earlier, Roddenberry insisted that all the uniforms be ordered one to two sizes smaller than the actors' actual size. Just another example of how he had totally lost the plot.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Timby posted:

As mentioned earlier, Roddenberry insisted that all the uniforms be ordered one to two sizes smaller than the actors' actual size. Just another example of how he had totally lost the plot.

Man, gently caress Stewart for going against Gene's Vision by trying to avoid permanent spinal damage. :colbert:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Maybe Worf would have been fine after his fall if he'd still been wearing his compression unitard. Makes you think.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I hated the first TNG uniforms anyway; something about the lack of a defined collar just makes them look like tight potato sacks.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

BattleMaster posted:

I hated the first TNG uniforms anyway; something about the lack of a defined collar just makes them look like tight potato sacks.

Nothing looks less professional than a bare, scrawny neck. Especially on Picard. What a bad neck. Bad neck.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Brawnfire posted:

Nothing looks less professional than a bare, scrawny neck. Especially on Picard. What a bad neck. Bad neck.

In the future, civilization has evolved beyond petty neck opinions.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why am I seeing that weird H everywhere suddenly? It's all on the same lovely people too. Hats, t-shirts, jackets, it's all that loving H. Is it some brand that a country singer or some white bread icon sponsored so now every dumpy white suburbanite wears it?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Mogomra posted:

In the future, civilization has evolved beyond petty neck opinions.

I don't care how evolved we are, no WAY am I taking orders from some dude looking like a bare dick

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Baronjutter posted:

Why am I seeing that weird H everywhere suddenly? It's all on the same lovely people too. Hats, t-shirts, jackets, it's all that loving H. Is it some brand that a country singer or some white bread icon sponsored so now every dumpy white suburbanite wears it?

Not sure if you're joking. That's the logo for Under Armor.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I managed to google what the "H on clothing" stood for and figured it out. Has this brand recently exploded or is it just a bias that I'm suddenly noticing it a lot more? Reading up on it, it claims to wick sweat away and be comfortable for sports in some special or novel way. I'm guessing most people buy it for the brand and not their needs as high performing athletes, because I'm mostly seeing it on dumpy middle aged white dudes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I managed to google what the "H on clothing" stood for and figured it out. Has this brand recently exploded or is it just a bias that I'm suddenly noticing it a lot more? Reading up on it, it claims to wick sweat away and be comfortable for sports in some special or novel way. I'm guessing most people buy it for the brand and not their needs as high performing athletes, because I'm mostly seeing it on dumpy middle aged white dudes.

It's been around a long time, and there's tons of copycat products. I think they have NFL contracts or something.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

The Rock wore it in the newest Fast and Furious movies, therefore people buy it because they want to be as cool as The Rock.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Remember how everyone was covered in Stüssy and British Knights logos in school in the late 80s/early 90s? Same reason.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Data Graham posted:

Remember how everyone was covered in Stüssy and British Knights logos in school in the late 80s/early 90s? Same reason.

Or Zubas. Or Jnco. Or any other horrible fashion trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Speaking of clothing, the costumes in trek are often pretty bad. Gene had some wierd ideas that pockets were somehow something that would be totally obsolete in his advanced utopia. Pockets are for THINGS and we've evolved past the need for things. Certainly no one has any need to carry around tools or bits of technology with them.

I think the first pocket on a federation uniform we saw were the cadet cargo pants in ds9?