Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

zoux posted:

I'm a paid globalist shill, myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Noam Chomsky posted:

Pretty typical array of posters - PTD, Zoux, BI NOW GAY LATER, a few others - that come out hard for: trade agreements, anything Hillary related, the DNC, and against anyone who talks too mean about Republicans.

I wonder why.

"Everyone is arguing my arguments are flawed, but little do they know I know I'm right and therefore I'll show them by completely deflecting!" :smug:

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

axeil posted:

Are you aware of the concept of comparative advantage and David Ricardo's work on trade?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparative_advantage

No one is nefariously trying to run people out of jobs; they're trying to make sure America focuses on the industries in which we have a comparative labor advantage. That is not low-skills manufacturing. All that NAFTA did was make the transition go faster by making it easier to procure goods made outside of America. Goods that the other countries happened to have a comparative advantage in.

Free trade benefits everyone on the aggregate.

This is basic, Econ 101 kind of stuff.

thank you for posting the true facts

the issue is just how we make sure that it's actually the case that everyone wins, instead of 'the average person' winning in the sense that one guy makes a billion dollars and a thousand people lose a thousand dollars

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

emdash posted:

this doesn't really help. D&D has never been the hivemind of which people like to draw rhetorical caricatures. There were plenty of Sanders supporters, months back, saying things like "well the TPP opposition is dumb, but I still prefer Bernie"

Eh, there is no helping this discussion. I just find it weird that the same four or five posters march lockstep with eachother on certain points and all show up in certain discussions like this to shout down, hard, anyone against their pet policies or people. I don't care about getting dogpiled but I'd at least like some variety. Also, I think, the same posters who have talked about growing up in conservative households and formerly being libertarians.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

(((Certain posters))) always come out against these things hmmm wonder why.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
think you mean (((globalist)))

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Noam Chomsky posted:

Pretty typical array of posters - PTD, Zoux, BI NOW GAY LATER, a few others - that come out hard for: trade agreements, anything Hillary related, the DNC, and against anyone who talks too mean about Republicans.

I wonder why.

Because those people actually want to argue in this stupid thread.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Noam Chomsky posted:

Eh, there is no helping this discussion. I just find it weird that the same four or five posters march lockstep with eachother on certain points and all show up in certain discussions like this to shout down, hard, anyone against their pet policies or people. I don't care about getting dogpiled but I'd at least like some variety.

I'd still like to answer your question if you could share it, I don't consider myself part of any posting circlejerk or posse

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Noam Chomsky posted:

I wonder why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMqZ2PPOLik

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Noam Chomsky posted:

Eh, there is no helping this discussion. I just find it weird that the same four or five posters march lockstep with eachother on certain points and all show up in certain discussions like this to shout down, hard, anyone against their pet policies or people. I don't care about getting dogpiled but I'd at least like some variety.

Certain posters are stupid self-congratulatory idiots and consistently the worst poster in the thread, also.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

I'm a paid globalist shill, myself.

I'm a trust fund baby, so I am a member of the globalist cabal and not just a paid shill. :smugdon:

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
I don't think the majority of the posters here like TPP, it's just that the generalized anti-trade arguments aren't very good.

There are still plenty of things to nitpick about the TPP that make it into a mixed bag.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

axeil posted:

Free trade benefits everyone on the aggregate.

But those aggregate benefits are being disproportionately claimed by the high-finance types who facilitate the trade, leaving the working population at a disadvantage. What good is a more efficient aggregate balance of trade if all the efficiency gains are snatched up by rent-seekers?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

what's more interesting is that there are plenty of people that are anti-Brexit and anti-TPP, which is basically saying free trade is only bad if the jobs are going to poor people.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

theflyingorc posted:

Certain posters are stupid self-congratulatory idiots and consistently the worst poster in the thread, also.

Well, you're one of the group I was calling out. So...

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Noam Chomsky posted:

Eh, there is no helping this discussion. I just find it weird that the same four or five posters march lockstep with eachother on certain points and all show up in certain discussions like this to shout down, hard, anyone against their pet policies or people. I don't care about getting dogpiled but I'd at least like some variety. Also, I think, the same posters who have talked about growing up in conservative households and formerly being libertarians.

lol if you think we're in lockstep just because we're all yelling at you for being dumb

sorry about your victim complex

"my god, it's so strange how all these people tell me i'm being stupid at the same time. it MUST be a conspiracy!"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I don't think the majority of the posters here like TPP, it's just that the generalized anti-trade arguments aren't very good.

There are still plenty of things to nitpick about the TPP that make it into a mixed bag.

I like the TPP because the environmental and labor standards, while far from perfect, are a vast improvement over the status quo.

Also Soros pays me.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Civilized Fishbot posted:

thank you for posting the true facts

the issue is just how we make sure that it's actually the case that everyone wins, instead of 'the average person' winning in the sense that one guy makes a billion dollars and a thousand people lose a thousand dollars

Agreed. Everyone wins in the long run but if you lost your job due to a trade deal that is pretty lovely. Eventually the labor market will sort itself out, but that is cold comfort if you're 50 years old and have done nothing but work on an assembly line. The solution isn't "NO FREE TRADE" but "help out the people who are temporarily hurt".

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

zoux posted:

(((Certain posters))) always come out against these things hmmm wonder why.

I never get mentioned in the "You guys are mean to me. DaD is so terrible" posts. I'm sure to be fired.

Noam Chomsky posted:

The purity purges begin anew. The purity purges have never stopped.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

but it doesn't have to be that way, because trade deals aren't mutually exclusive with carbon taxes and social safety nets

You're right it doesn't. But as far as trade deals we've seen like NAFTA there tends not to be any sort real safety nets or climate provisions written in. The general idea of trade deals seems to be "these corporations will benefit greatly from this trade deal, and maybe the populace in these countries will benefit later, at some point because trickle down lol". The vast majority of people will not or have not benefited from deals like the TPP or NAFTA.

I'm not anti-globalization(I actually think that at its core the notion of globalization is great), but if the only people benefiting are wealthy businessmen then its hard not to look at the concept in a harsh light.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Because those people actually want to argue in this stupid thread.

I wonder why people with similar political interests who also post in a debate forum also post in a similar fashion. That's so wierd.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Does anybody disagree with any of these points? Please post if you do

1. Some people make money when free trade is implemented, while other people lose money.
2. Generally speaking, the people who make money from free trade make more money than is lost by the people who lose money.
3. Ideally, the people who make money from free trade would give a lot of that money to the people who lose money from free trade, creating a situation where everyone makes money.
4. The ideal case stated in (3) is better than protectionism/no trade, because everyone has equal or more money than they did before free trade
5. Therefore, free trade and a social safety net is better than protectionism and no social safety net.

It seems like pretty much everyone agrees on this, they just have varying beliefs about political viability of various policies

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

But those aggregate benefits are being disproportionately claimed by the high-finance types who facilitate the trade, leaving the working population at a disadvantage. What good is a more efficient aggregate balance of trade if all the efficiency gains are snatched up by rent-seekers?

:ssh:

He works in finance.

Trabisnikof posted:

I like the TPP because the environmental and labor standards, while far from perfect, are a vast improvement over the status quo.

I haven't read through it enough to know, is anyone aware of the specific enforcement mechanism set up to actually ensure that corporations adhere to these environmental and labor standards?

because that seems like a massive, massive undertaking and would require full compliance of the authorities in every member state, which, lol

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

UV_Catastrophe posted:

:agreed:

Protectionism is dumb, full stop.

The TPP though is more about letting businesses in Vietnam, Chile, and the like have a better chance of competing with China than they do now while also guaranteeing some basic working protections.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

[citation needed]

Seriously, you need some proof behind that. Compare the price of say, a car between 1990 and today. When you factor in inflation, car prices have actually declined over the last 2.5 decades. Most people in America buy cars, so there's a benefit right there. If you're only spending $18k in 2016 dollars on a new car instead of $35k in 2016 dollars, that's a benefit.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Also funny that I was boxed into being anti-free-trade by the usual suspects, because I said I don't blame Americans for being anti-TPP because NAFTA may have left a sour taste in their mouths.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

1. Some people make money when free trade is implemented, while other people lose money.
2. Generally speaking, the people who make money from free trade make more money than is lost by the people who lose money.
3. Ideally, the people who make money from free trade would give a lot of that money to the people who lose money from free trade, creating a situation where everyone makes money.
4. The ideal case stated in (3) is better than protectionism/no trade, because everyone has equal or more money than they did before free trade
5. Therefore, free trade and a social safety net is better than protectionism and no social safety net.

It seems like pretty much everyone agrees on this, they just have varying beliefs about political viability of various policies

Agreed.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Is there anything to the rumors floating around that Trump might drop out? Or is it just wishful thinking from those scared of his power to make america grate again?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Noam Chomsky posted:

Also funny that I was boxed into being anti-free-trade by the usual suspects, because I said I don't blame Americans for being anti-TPP because NAFTA may have left a sour taste in their mouths.

Oh this is all very funny, but not for why you think.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Popular Thug Drink posted:

lol if you think we're in lockstep just because we're all yelling at you for being dumb

sorry about your victim complex

"my god, it's so strange how all these people tell me i'm being stupid at the same time. it MUST be a conspiracy!"

Yeah I mean look at me. I'm agreeing with the pro-TPP people but get us started on banking and finance discussions and we'll be on completely different sides.

There Is No D&D Hivemind.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

no, ideally the people who make money from free trade are not in an economic position give away their money, but have had their quality of life improved dramatically and the people who lost their jobs can be retrained or provided with benefits that soften the blow.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

Is there anything to the rumors floating around that Trump might drop out? Or is it just wishful thinking from those scared of his power to make america grate again?

Nothing.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Noam Chomsky posted:

I'm completely aware of that, but it doesn't make you in any way, shape, or form not consistently one of the worst posters in this thread. Contribute something, anything of value to any discussion that isn't masturbatory and people will stop dogpiling you.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Trump should start talking soon so we can all move on to the next stupidity from him

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

But I think we're mainly focusing on whats actually happening. Ideally robots would do all the work we didn't want to do and we'd live on the moon or whatever.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Noam Chomsky posted:

lol, I grew up in a staunchly democratic home.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

axeil posted:

[citation needed]

Seriously, you need some proof behind that. Compare the price of say, a car between 1990 and today. When you factor in inflation, car prices have actually declined over the last 2.5 decades. Most people in America buy cars, so there's a benefit right there. If you're only spending $18k in 2016 dollars on a new car instead of $35k in 2016 dollars, that's a benefit.

I'm gonna level with you: I don't actually have a strong opinion about the TPP. I just like formulating arguments for things. I apologize for wasting your time; you showed up with actual data and I have nothing that can match that.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

straight up brolic posted:

no, ideally the people who make money from free trade are not in an economic position give away their money, but have had their quality of life improved dramatically and the people who lost their jobs can be retrained or provided with benefits that soften the blow.

why aren't the people who make money from free trade in position to give some of that money away? the money doesn't have to come from poor vietnamese factoryline workers who got a raise, it can come from the factory owner who made millions by moving the factory to 'nam

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

SquadronROE posted:

Wishful thinking from the GOP establishment. I want him in tip the end and I'm stocking up on popcorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Reason posted:

But I think we're mainly focusing on whats actually happening. Ideally robots would do all the work we didn't want to do and we'd live on the moon or whatever.

political advocacy for/against social safety nets, and political advocacy against/for free trde, are both things that are actually happening

• Locked thread