Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ratbert90 posted:

Today I asked a off-site contractor if he had anything to commit now that git is finally back up and running so I can start integrating our software into our build system.

him: "Nah"
me: "Are... are you sure? The last commit was over a week ago. Surely you have something that hasn't been committed correct ?"
him: "I'll be doing a commit tonight"
me: "Should I start working on the other part of our software then ?"
him: "Naw, I've made some changes there too."
me: "I'm getting concerned; non-consistent commits make it difficult for me to manage our builds, also no updates in Asana or via email or SMS or any other form of communication."

:argh:" Dude, why are you hamming me now?"
:stare: "Uh, what? How is me expressing concern over you not actually doing any work for over 9 days 'Hammering you'?"
:argh: "I really need my mental state to be clear right now!"

What the gently caress is going on here? This guy took most of July off, he's supposed to help with board bring-up in 2 weeks, and his portion of the software is like... 5% done.
I feel like I am stuck in-between a rock and a hard place here. His bus factor is really high, but he is going to royally gently caress me over as well.

Its college group projects all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sickening posted:

The worst part is I know the guy personally, and his work is fantastic usually, but lately he's been really weird and his own personal projects have been taking over. He asked for me to pull a few strings and get him a contracting gig, so I did. He worked really hard for the first 3 months, but after that he has been putting in less and less hours and it's starting to really piss me off. Nepotism in the past has worked out for me, and I have known him and been a friend for over a decade with him.

Tomorrow I think I need to have a "Come to Jesus" meeting with him.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sickening posted:

But without the peer assessment submitted with the project so you can have complete lack of contribution from one member taken into account when assigning marks for the submission.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

oh another piece of poo poo on top of the pile for today: Apparently some asshat has been running around rockford for the past 4 days racking up charges on my debit card. None of the charges showed up on my online statement until 2 of them today, there's 6-7 total, fraud protection kicked in and I've got the card cancelled, but what a loving gently caress. This day needs to be over.

*edit* it would make me feel a lot better if I had the option to go kick this person's rear end, that would make this day much better.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

MF_James posted:

*edit* it would make me feel a lot better if I had the option to go kick this person's rear end, that would make this day much better.

Isn't living in Rockford punishment enough?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Marketing C-level (why is this even a thing) emailed me today at 8:14am (I ostensibly work 9-5):

quote:

CC: VP Corporate Development, CEO, some other random VPs of stuff
Date: 8/4/16 8:14am
Subject: Urgent: New User
We just hired John Doe and need him setup and ready to go in two hours, please have his phone extension, computer, and all necessary accounts ready by 10am.

Felt pretty good to finally get to tell marketing to eat poo poo and go "this is not a thing that is physically possible within two days much less two hours, sorry."

Edit: best part is HR had none of his paperwork anyways so it would have been a gross breach of procedure had I obliged since he still, as of 5:10pm, isn't technically employed with us. I mean at least get his I-9 first so we can pretend we aren't trying to break basic employment law here.

Anyways eagerly looking forward to getting called into the big man's office tomorrow where I get told I'm not a team player or whatever :v:

Sheep fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 4, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MF_James posted:

oh another piece of poo poo on top of the pile for today: Apparently some asshat has been running around rockford for the past 4 days racking up charges on my debit card. None of the charges showed up on my online statement until 2 of them today, there's 6-7 total, fraud protection kicked in and I've got the card cancelled, but what a loving gently caress. This day needs to be over.

Debit cards are next to useless today except for using an ATM. The only reason I keep any sort of cash on me at all is so that I dont' have to carry it around. loving Debt cards are dangerous. Credit cards only for me.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Sheep posted:

Anyways eagerly looking forward to getting called into the big man's office tomorrow where I get told I'm not a team player or whatever :v:

If he says you're not a team player, feign astonishment and ask why they're forming teams to violate federal labor laws. Most violations in 60 days wins a prize?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Sheep posted:

Marketing C-level (why is this even a thing) emailed me today at 8:14am (I ostensibly work 9-5):

Felt pretty good to finally get to tell marketing to eat poo poo and go "this is not a thing that is physically possible within two days much less two hours, sorry."

Edit: best part is HR had none of his paperwork anyways so it would have been a gross breach of procedure had I obliged since he still, as of 5:10pm, isn't technically employed with us. I mean at least get his I-9 first so we can pretend we aren't trying to break basic employment law here.

I hate this kind of last minute bullshit - I had a client get pissy with me a week ago because they wanted new data cable runs done in their building for newly constructed offices. Our engineers don't do that work, we go through an outside vendor and schedule everything to be billed to the client. They wanted data cables run like 2 days after the request was put in, and our vendor needs a minimum 7-10 day notice. They bitched until we pulled up previous emails where they did the same loving thing in the past, and we told them we need 1-2 weeks advance notice - which they agreed to do for any projects like this. Felt good to point that out and be like "sorry dipshit, our hands are tied, you hosed up not us"

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Sickening posted:

Debit cards are next to useless today except for using an ATM. The only reason I keep any sort of cash on me at all is so that I dont' have to carry it around. loving Debt cards are dangerous. Credit cards only for me.

Modern debit cards have the same protections that credit cards do. My bank is super paranoid so any suspicious activity immediately gets locked down.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

Modern debit cards have the same protections that credit cards do. My bank is super paranoid so any suspicious activity immediately gets locked down.

I am sure they are closer these days, but the point is that is someone goes crazy on my credit card, its fixed in a few minutes. That isn't always the case with debt cards and is going to vary wildly on the bank (or I assume it still does). If a thief steals my credit card, they aren't spending my money, they are spending the credit card company. They always have a more vested interest in getting it back quickly.

Can you do a charge back on a dept card?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Sickening posted:

I am sure they are closer these days, but the point is that is someone goes crazy on my credit card, its fixed in a few minutes. That isn't always the case with debt cards and is going to vary wildly on the bank (or I assume it still does). If a thief steals my credit card, they aren't spending my money, they are spending the credit card company. They always have a more vested interest in getting it back quickly.

Yes

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Sickening posted:

And, unless you are a member of "Jim's Back Alley Loan Services" bank, the thief is generally spending the Bank's money with your debit card. You might have a low deductible of $20 to $50, but this is not uncommon with credit cards, either.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
At least the way things work for my cards is unless you actually run your debit card as debit (entering your PIN at time of purchase PS why anyone would do that on anyone-who-isn't-their-bank's terminal is beyond me) then it runs as a standard, normally VISA, credit card, with all the protections associated therewith.

(hell yeah finally got to use therewith in a sentence)

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Sheep posted:

At least the way things work for my cards is unless you actually run your debit card as debit (entering your PIN at time of purchase PS why anyone would do that on anyone-who-isn't-my-bank's terminal is beyond me) then it runs as a standard, normally VISA, credit card, with all the protections associated therewith.

(hell yeah finally got to use therewith in a sentence)

Because it's secure? Also, the Chip cards will move over to Chip and Pin within a few years. My bank already does it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Khisanth Magus posted:

CitiBank is so paranoid about my card I can't use it for anything. It's seriously a 50/50 shot of a transaction being denied even if it's at a store I visit several times a week.

It's the most secure card I own: I don't carry it anymore because constantly being told my charge was declined is loving embarrassing.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Thanks Ants posted:

Today I found out that a service I decommissioned four days ago was actually still in use. I have CYA emails covering the three separate occasions where I asked for confirmation that it wasn't being used anymore so I'm mostly a spectator to this utter clown show.

"Can we get some of the data back?" lol nope. Unlucky.

Hah, I had almost the same situation a couple years back. Had a project manager riding me for over a month about a server decom. Since the paperwork I had to do for a decom took probably two hours (seriously, it was absurd), I kept putting it off, until we were coming up on year-end closing, and we had to get it off the books, come hell or high water. I finally sit down (after getting the appropriate change controls in the week before), and blow the virtual server away (because screenshots were literally part of the decom documentation project), and blow out the paperwork on a Friday afternoon.

I come in Monday morning, working on the various and sundry bullshits, and I notice my boss and another team lead who sat in our pasture of the cube farm were scrambling over some fresh emergency. This place was about as well-coordinated as a litter of two day old puppies, so I didn't think much of it, until I heard the server name they were looking for. The server I blew out on Friday.

Despite the project manager hounding me for literally over a month about getting rid of this server, by the customer's request (because they were paying for the server support via internal billing), someone was still using that server. For some Sharepoint migration, I think. This was also a "new" (18+ month old) customer by this point, and we hadn't integrated backup systems yet. And their old backup system was straight-up terrible. And broken. The server was completely gone. No backups at all.

Forwarded my boss all my CYA documentation/emails, including the original ticket, the approved change, and two or three emails from the PM about how this has to be done yesterday. Washed my hands of the situation. Until two days later when they demanded I rebuild the server :v:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Arsten posted:

Because it's secure? Also, the Chip cards will move over to Chip and Pin within a few years. My bank already does it.

What is secure about transmitting your PIN over a third party device & network that isn't your bank's, especially with the prevalence of fraudulent keypads/terminals/etc? Just off the top of my head, even ignoring POS issue, the "getting shoulder surfed & mugged in the parking lot for your card" scenario seems like a glaring security faulty with the chip & PIN system.

Maybe I'm just too old for this poo poo. I still write checks, too.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 4, 2016

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Debit card talk, here's what I don't understand.

How is my debit card, which requires me to enter a 4 digit PIN which definitely isn't a former street address, less secure than my credit card which will either require a chicken scratch signature or no signature at all?

It just seems like if I want to use someone else's card, I can fake a signature at the moment of sale, but I can't fake 4 digits.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I guess theoretically only you know the PIN but that totally ignores the aforementioned shoulder surfing or passthrough devices that capture you punching it in. It just seems like trading one dumb system for another. At least magnetic stripe was fancy and cool when it was invented, chip & PIN seems pants on head retarded especially with a 2016 rollout in America; even I could come up with better options (biometrics, multifactor authentication, etc).

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah, all the transactions were run as credit, and the credit card company fraud dept is the one that called me and cancelled the card for me. I still have to physically go in to the bank to dispute the claims, which is annoying because I haven't swapped to Chase yet and am using a dumb local bank from when I lived in the burbs.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Debit card talk, here's what I don't understand.

How is my debit card, which requires me to enter a 4 digit PIN which definitely isn't a former street address, less secure than my credit card which will either require a chicken scratch signature or no signature at all?

It just seems like if I want to use someone else's card, I can fake a signature at the moment of sale, but I can't fake 4 digits.

I think the purpose is who gets liability. The seller is suppose to verify you are the person on the credit card by id and signature. That is why you sign the card.

Its also the sellers/retailers who lose out when credit cards are stolen. Whoops, you didn't verify!

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Sickening posted:

I think the purpose is who gets liability. The seller is suppose to verify you are the person on the credit card by id and signature. That is why you sign the card.

Don't think I've EVER had anyone verify. gently caress, 99% of the times your CC gets stolen, you know what really happens? You paid for something at Burger King or wherever, the guy sliding your card also slid it into a little card reader of his own and stole all the info. He then takes that device home along with your CC#+info and 50 other peoples, then he uses a fancy (not fancy) computer program that will pull the data from his machine, and he can then put that information onto any card he wants, then he goes on a spending spree until that card gets declined, then he goes to the next, then the next, etc etc. The cards he's using? Cancelled credit cards from friends or his own if he's dumb.

At least that's how it worked prior to the chips being in cards, dunno how it would work now.

But yes, you are correct, it's all about spreading liability around and/or handing it off to someone else

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Sheep posted:

I guess theoretically only you know the PIN but that totally ignores the aforementioned shoulder surfing or passthrough devices that capture you punching it in. It just seems like trading one dumb system for another. At least magnetic stripe was fancy and cool when it was invented, chip & PIN seems pants on head retarded especially with a 2016 rollout in America; even I could come up with better options (biometrics, multifactor authentication, etc).

Chip and PIN is secure because it hits the major ways credit cards are defrauded, now:

A) People use a skimmer to steal the magstripe data and create a replica card.
B) People steal the physical card.

With the chip, you have what is (in a basic sense, without getting all detailed) similar to a SecureID token that is sent to your bank along with your PIN. If someone steals the token, they don't get your card details to use with your PIN - they get the one-time-use token. Theoretically they could get enough of your transactions to be able to steal the generator hashing for the token.....but I wouldn't count on this until sometime after the heat death of the universe.

This is unlike magstripe cards, where they get both your PIN and your card details with a compromised terminal.

Someone COULD shoulder-surf, but they would have to mug you for the actual physical card, and then you'd call your bank within 15 minutes to turn it off.....Unless it was a proper mugging, at which point you pay the $20 to $50 fee and the bank credits you the rest of the unauthorized funds when you wake up in the hospital.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MF_James posted:

Don't think I've EVER had anyone verify. gently caress, 99% of the times your CC gets stolen, you know what really happens? You paid for something at Burger King or wherever, the guy sliding your card also slid it into a little card reader of his own and stole all the info. He then takes that device home along with your CC#+info and 50 other peoples, then he uses a fancy (not fancy) computer program that will pull the data from his machine, and he can then put that information onto any card he wants, then he goes on a spending spree until that card gets declined, then he goes to the next, then the next, etc etc. The cards he's using? Cancelled credit cards from friends or his own if he's dumb.

At least that's how it worked prior to the chips being in cards, dunno how it would work now.

The point is that once burger flipper steals your card, you aren't personally liable for whatever he does. It's on the vendor and card issuer to sort out. With a debit once the money is out of your account, you ain't ever seeing it again.

The reason issuers are starting to give a poo poo about authentication is because it sells and keeps their main customers (not you, the vendors) happy.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

xzzy posted:

The point is that once burger flipper steals your card, you aren't personally liable for whatever he does. It's on the vendor and card issuer to sort out. With a debit once the money is out of your account, you ain't ever seeing it again.

The reason issuers are starting to give a poo poo about authentication is because it sells and keeps their main customers (not you, the vendors) happy.

I have been a member of five or six banks since Visa and MC got into them with their cards, and this hasn't been true with any of them. Not even a the small regional banks that I prefer to deal with.

The major vector of theft left is online card use after Chips are widely distributed. I'm hoping that they start using disposable card numbers (or something akin to a card number. 16 alphanumeric digits sounds fairly large from a "possible combinations" assessment) that you can register for one-time or recurring use for specific vendors. That way if you know that Amazon got hacked, you can drop one number instead of having to change all of your account details everywhere.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Wait what? I thought MC debit allowed you 30 days to cancel or revert the transaction.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Is this thread going full retard about random subjects on a predictable cycle so I know when to tune out? Are we going to discuss the consequences of progressive tax systems next?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

With that out of the way, and dragging this poo poo back on topic:

gently caress. Project. Managers. You've been here for over a year. I know we've discussed it before that these two features are mutually exclusive on our platform. You cannot have both, pick one. Stop asking me every few days if we can do it, becuase the answer is the same as it has been in the past umpteenth times you have asked. NO.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

OWLS! posted:

With that out of the way, and dragging this poo poo back on topic:

gently caress. Project. Managers. You've been here for over a year. I know we've discussed it before that these two features are mutually exclusive on our platform. You cannot have both, pick one. Stop asking me every few days if we can do it, becuase the answer is the same as it has been in the past umpteenth times you have asked. NO.

That is a lovely project manager, they aren't supposed to ask you over and over, they are supposed to ask everyone else until they find someone who says yes, they then promise the customer that it will be done, then will blame you guys when it isn't.

They have a lot to learn about PMing.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

xzzy posted:

CitiBank is so paranoid about my card I can't use it for anything. It's seriously a 50/50 shot of a transaction being denied even if it's at a store I visit several times a week.

It's the most secure card I own: I don't carry it anymore because constantly being told my charge was declined is loving embarrassing.

I used to have a Citi card too and got tired of that poo poo real quick - really enjoyed my card getting shut off and getting zero notice of when or why, then finding out it was from a legit charge a couple days prior when I bought something that was over $100 and they flagged it as suspect. Citi can eat a bag of dicks, that and their rate hikes were loving horrendous.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Tomorrow I think I need to have a "Come to Jesus" meeting with him.

Someone you know has had a major change in behaviour. Can I suggest a "are you ok?" before the "come to jesus conversation"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

KennyTheFish posted:

Someone you know has had a major change in behaviour. Can I suggest a "are you ok?" before the "come to jesus conversation"

I have had a few already. How many more "are you ok?" conversations do I need to have with him?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Why bother using RFC 1918 addresses in your LAN when you can just pick some numbers that you think look cool?

I had to modify my "blackhole everything from china" rule cause I am now supporting a site that the company purchased which uses "1.12.50.0/18" (or 1.12.0.0/18 but at this point sure lets go with 1.12.50.0/18) for all private IPs. When asked why the local guy's explanation was "It's always been like this."

:thumbsup:

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 5, 2016

Kirov
May 4, 2006

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Despite the project manager hounding me for literally over a month about getting rid of this server, by the customer's request (because they were paying for the server support via internal billing), someone was still using that server.
That's why you just shut down the server or disconnect the network cable for 2-3 months, instead of straight deletion. This was SOP twenty years ago, and has not changed.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kirov posted:

That's why you just shut down the server or disconnect the network cable for 2-3 months, instead of straight deletion. This was SOP twenty years ago, and has not changed.
Don't ever accept the blame for something like this, especially when you have a paper trail to cover your rear end.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Kirov posted:

I know. That's what we normally would have done. But part of the decom process at this place was "verify it's completely gone with attached photographic evidence". Add the fact that we were about to hit year-end closing, and the procedures got a little bent.

I got zero push-back once I handed them all the evidence from them asking for us to remove the server.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
Security decided they needed to implement 802.1x, so naturally they start with the IT staff for testing. They replaced our unmanaged gigabit switches with managed 100 mbit switches. Policy dictates every machine that changes hands needs to be reimaged. Our imaging process is PXE booting and deploying WIMs. Filed a project request to get gigabit switches back. No funds available, wait until next year. :suicide:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Bishyaler posted:

Security decided they needed to implement 802.1x, so naturally they start with the IT staff for testing. They replaced our unmanaged gigabit switches with managed 100 mbit switches. Policy dictates every machine that changes hands needs to be reimaged. Our imaging process is PXE booting and deploying WIMs. Filed a project request to get gigabit switches back. No funds available, wait until next year. :suicide:

Go increase the estimates for any in-flight projects. Chalk it up to bad change management and no impact analysis on bringing network speeds back to 1999.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Brilliant, I can see why the other guy left. A server straight up died, the server room's cooling isn't sufficient and nobody told me where the key is to get into the room (need a fingerprint scan and a key)

Luckily, as literally nobody picked up the phone (hah, call these numbers if you need help, yeah right) and I have some unsavoury skills, I just broke in and fixed it. I've also highlighted how easy it is for someone to break in, so hopefully they'll fix that next right?

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa