Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Ditocoaf posted:

If it's impossible to fight multinational businesses, and we'd have to fight multinational businesses to implement labor laws and environmentalism, then we're just truly and inevitably hosed.

No one is saying that it's impossible to fight multinational businesses on things like labor or environmentalism though... in fact those two things are specifically addressed in the TPP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Josef bugman posted:

You see it sounds as if you are saying that. "You are going to lose and nobody can change it" is not something anyone wants to hear at the best of times. Least of all when it is being delivered as if it were a pronouncement from an old testement God. And it's not just "sections" of an economy, my entire countries economy is going to go into free fall in the next 5 years as the wanker bankers move out and the tech people with them. Until there is nothing left but lovely service jobs. If and when that happens I want people to come and say that we deserve this for our voting, I want people to look into the inevitable face of the cold and the hurt and say that it is simply a fact of life and it can't be changed. Will it be fair if and when your job gets taken by a machine or automated, does that make it fair and just because it increases the amount done?

Dude, what do you want me to say? If you want businesses to stop choosing the cheaper, more efficient option then you're going to have to go ahead and smash capitalism or something, because our system literally cannot operate in the way that you want it to. Jobs that can be done more efficiently elsewhere or via automation are going to go away. Interpreting that statement as some kind of "gently caress you" is asinine.

quote:

Like for not working? Because even then I doubt it. Nobody will ever put it in place and, as I have learned from working with old style working class people, the idea of work is too loving essential to peoples lives.

Welcome to the reason why I'm extremely pessimistic that we're ever going to break free of a lot of the negative ongoing economic trends of the last few decades. Either we accept that not everyone will be able to work all the time or a lot of people suffer needlessly. I don't think there's any other realistic option.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The media has smelled blood and has grown tired of Trump's repetitive bullshit. It's more profitable to now go in for the kill.

Much like White Nationalism slipped the GOP's chains, the ratings machine has now slipped Trump's.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, we're not telling them to adapt or die.

[...]

Not everyone needs to work and not everyone needs to do the same job their entire lives if that job is no longer necessary. People also just have an unhealthy attachment to work.

It's an unhealthy attachment to work because the alternative in many of these places is adapt or die. So without viable employment alternatives or retraining programs in place, you are, in essence, telling people to adapt or die.

To say that not everyone needs to work is true for a vanishingly small portion of the population, and those people are usually already very well off.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Paradoxish posted:

Welcome to the reason why I'm extremely pessimistic that we're ever going to break free of a lot of the negative ongoing economic trends of the last few decades. Either we accept that not everyone will be able to work all the time or a lot of people suffer needlessly. I don't think there's any other realistic option.

Personally I think we go down to a 4 day work week withing my lifetime since efficiency is the thing that kills more jobs than anything else right now.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

A Winner is Jew posted:

Given the way that trade has made nations interdependent on each other I would say that while there can be instances of good protectionism those are far outweighed by all of the bad examples of protectionism.

And yeah, a GMI is the only real long term solution... that or a post scarcity utopia.

In almost all cases of developing nations you need some level of protectionism simply to curtail the influx of hot money. Global investors will always have high enough levels of capital to destabilize the markets of developing nations if they're allowed to invest however they want. The fact that the Asian Tigers and countries like Brazil have become important economic players is in large part due to the fact that they saw that problem and instituted protectionist policies to prevent destabilization. What bad examples of protectionism are you thinking of, specifically?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I found this article really funny because you think he is gonna briefly go over all of Trump's controversies and he just keeps going and going

http://www.npr.org/2016/08/04/48862...m_medium=social

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

a shameful boehner posted:

It's an unhealthy attachment to work because the alternative in many of these places is adapt or die. So without viable employment alternatives or retraining programs in place, you are, in essence, telling people to adapt or die.

To say that not everyone needs to work is true for a vanishingly small portion of the population, and those people are usually already very well off.

I meant, people have an unhealthy attachment to the concept of work, and to the notion that everyone should have a job, or should have to work. In an increasingly globalized an automated world that is not actually and should not actually be true.

Josef bugman posted:

You see it sounds as if you are saying that. "You are going to lose and nobody can change it" is not something anyone wants to hear at the best of times. Least of all when it is being delivered as if it were a pronouncement from an old testement God. And it's not just "sections" of an economy, my entire countries economy is going to go into free fall in the next 5 years as the wanker bankers move out and the tech people with them. Until there is nothing left but lovely service jobs. If and when that happens I want people to come and say that we deserve this for our voting, I want people to look into the inevitable face of the cold and the hurt and say that it is simply a fact of life and it can't be changed. Will it be fair if and when your job gets taken by a machine or automated, does that make it fair and just because it increases the amount done?

I mean if it wasn't globalization and free trade it would be robots and automation. What will you do, outlaw science and technological advancement? There comes a point when it's no longer necessary for human beings to perform a task and that's ok. It's up to us to find something else for those people to do (whether they want to change or not is a wholly different story and the basis of the problem) and make that possible, not hold back progress so a bunch of guys can keep working an assembly line for their whole lives.

I would say that white people in Britain who voted for and supported Brexit, a decision by and large motivated by a combination of blind anti-establishment feeling and racism, do in fact deserve what they get. They voted for a bad policy and should it be implemented, it will in fact be a bad policy. I also think the British Government say gently caress that to the Brexit referendum, but that is neither here nor there.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I just want a detailed description of the layout and conversation in any one strategy meeting with Trump.

Is it just an advisor showing him YouTube videos on a cell phone as he thumbs through Twitter replies?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Paradoxish posted:

Dude, what do you want me to say? If you want businesses to stop choosing the cheaper, more efficient option then you're going to have to go ahead and smash capitalism or something, because our system literally cannot operate in the way that you want it to. Jobs that can be done more efficiently elsewhere or via automation are going to go away. Interpreting that statement as some kind of "gently caress you" is asinine.

Or you could put in place certain barriers that prevent them from doing so. Maybe even have it where "If you want to do business here, you cannot pay(/gift/shower with money etc) your CEO without making sure that people are paid a number of degrees less than that." Is that protectionist?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Josef bugman posted:

Or you could put in place certain barriers that prevent them from doing so. Maybe even have it where "If you want to do business here, you cannot pay(/gift/shower with money etc) your CEO without making sure that people are paid a number of degrees less than that." Is that protectionist?
This is completely impossible until people realize it isn't. Hell, a shitload of the behavior people describe as being an inevitable pattern of business is actually based on the shithead shareholder theory of value, and all THAT has to do is fall out of fashion. (It would not 'fix' capitalism, of course.)

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

botany posted:

Protectionism is an economic tool and like other economic tools it is sometimes good and sometimes bad, depending on the situation. If you think protectionism is always bad you should read up on developing economies, especially the Asian Tigers and the emerging markets in South America.
This is completely true and I should have been more specific. In my post I was speaking with regard to using it as a prevailing market solution in AEs.

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

Pakled posted:

The media has finally moved on from horse race mode to blood in the water mode.

As someone from New Jersey, it really makes me happy to see that Trump's political career is basically a grander, more accelerated version of Christie's arc and to have that fact reaffirmed on a nearly daily basis. Christie is an awful person, but a lot of people liked him regardless of his actual opinions because he had a lot of personality and came off as 'authentic' (even when he wasn't). The difference here is that Christie actually can generally take a joke, never really went farther than calling someone an 'idiot' here and there, and managed to remain a media darling just long enough to get re-elected before nosediving spectacularly. Trump doesn't have even an ounce of self-control or moderation (and he certainly can't take a joke made at his expense) so what Christie managed to keep up for four years he could barely maintain for about one year before crashing as hard and as fast as he possibly could and it's great to watch him taking Christie even farther down with him.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Boon posted:

I'm so glad Im moving to Minneapolis tomorrow from battleground Wisconsin. Going to hopefully dodge 90% of the campaign ads.

That said, Hilldawgs campaign ad-fu is strong, especially that last with the children watching TV

I'm happy to report that I have no idea about this ad :angel:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Even Sarah Palin is abandoning Drumpf: http://thedailybanter.com/2016/08/even-sarah-palin-has-gone-quiet-about-donald-trump/

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

TheBigAristotle posted:

I just want a detailed description of the layout and conversation in any one strategy meeting with Trump.

Is it just an advisor showing him YouTube videos on a cell phone as he thumbs through Twitter replies?
we're going to get amazing tell alls, so it might just take a few years

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think Christie got some props from having the best moment in the Republican primaries when he tore into Rubio even if he is terrible otherwise.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Boon posted:

I'm so glad Im moving to Minneapolis tomorrow from battleground Wisconsin. Going to hopefully dodge 90% of the campaign ads.

That said, Hilldawgs campaign ad-fu is strong, especially that last with the children watching TV

I've been getting that Hillary kids ad for weeks now, and I"m in Oregon.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean if it wasn't globalization and free trade it would be robots and automation. What will you do, outlaw science and technological advancement? There comes a point when it's no longer necessary for human beings to perform a task and that's ok. It's up to us to find something else for those people to do (whether they want to change or not is a wholly different story and the basis of the problem) and make that possible, not hold back progress so a bunch of guys can keep working an assembly line for their whole lives.

I would say that white people in Britain who voted for and supported Brexit, a decision by and large motivated by a combination of blind anti-establishment feeling and racism, do in fact deserve what they get. They voted for a bad policy and should it be implemented, it will in fact be a bad policy. I also think the British Government say gently caress that to the Brexit referendum, but that is neither here nor there.

If I make a machine that takes bread from the mouths of the hungry and gives it to me and me alone, then yeah... stop that particular route of scientific experimentation, maybe?

Just as a quick thing, and it's something I have been pondering of late, but as regards the bolded bit in your statement. What, to you, is progress?

Hating the ignorant is no help, they are people who have not listened to politics and are convinced that they are being discriminated against. They are people who live lives that are not politics and spend their time worrying about different things, and perhaps work out how people came to these choices.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Josef bugman posted:

Okay, so people are paid more. Now what do you about jobs that can be done more cheaply somewhere else or that don't need to be done any more because technology has made them redundant? What's the difference between paying someone not to work and having them do work that doesn't actually need to be done? Why do you want businesses in our economy to actively engage in inefficient behavior?

And no, what you're suggesting isn't protectionist because CEO pay has nothing to do with trade policy or jobs that are being lost to automation/globalization.

Like, a bunch of us are saying that we desperately want to see fiscal policy enacted that will help these people (or are depressed because it won't happen) and you're somehow interpreting this as malice.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 5, 2016

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/KamVTV/status/761320288663601152

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

botany posted:

In almost all cases of developing nations you need some level of protectionism simply to curtail the influx of hot money. Global investors will always have high enough levels of capital to destabilize the markets of developing nations if they're allowed to invest however they want. The fact that the Asian Tigers and countries like Brazil have become important economic players is in large part due to the fact that they saw that problem and instituted protectionist policies to prevent destabilization. What bad examples of protectionism are you thinking of, specifically?

Bad examples of protectionism being war between nations that aren't interdependent on each other is kind of the major one. Also being overzealous with protectionism has always led to the economy for the nation enacting those overzealous policies cratering until they're reversed, with a specific example being the Smoot–Hawley Tariff greatly contributing to the great recession.

And I agree with you that temporary protectionist policies in developing countries is a good thing, but the key there is that they're temporary if the developing nation doesn't stymie it's growth through things like corruption and the like.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Josef bugman posted:

If I make a machine that takes bread from the mouths of the hungry and gives it to me and me alone, then yeah... stop that particular route of scientific experimentation, maybe?

Just as a quick thing, and it's something I have been pondering of late, but as regards the bolded bit in your statement. What, to you, is progress?

Hating the ignorant is no help, they are people who have not listened to politics and are convinced that they are being discriminated against. They are people who live lives that are not politics and spend their time worrying about different things, and perhaps work out how people came to these choices.

It's a good thing then that your hypothetical machine will never exist.

We should embrace moves towards post-industrial economies where people don't have to put so many hours in at backbreaking jobs all day, every day, every week, every holiday, and work harder to make that a reality. Not cling to the past where grandpa and grandma had to work their asses off to put food on the table.

It's also very telling that most of the people stamping their feet about globalization were privileged white people who had easy, low education requirement jobs and are upset that they are now being left out of the privileged circle. They're living the lives that many people around the live every single day, and it isn't pretty, is it? Nobody should have to waste their lives in a mine or on a factory floor if we can prevent it, whether they live in the US or in the Third World.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

that photoshop

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Lol you've fallen to posting obvious hack jobs.
I remember when you were a higher-class concern troll.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

Lol yes, an artifacted page with all actual relevant info redacted, totally legit

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

This is so obviously a forgery, its not even funny

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

like they didn't even get the font on the name right

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

zoux posted:

Posting this knowing fully well yall are going to take the wrong lesson from this and freak out about it.

https://twitter.com/gdebenedetti/status/761313158350802944

:lol:

Trump is the gift that keeps on giving.

seiferguy posted:

Besides the feel-good nature of crushing the opponent, especially one as crazy as Trump, is there a strategic advantage to trying to win every states as possible? If you told me that a president winning a state has a cascading impact on local / state races (i.e. Democratic president wins, and they vote straight-ticket D), I'd probably believe it, but I guess I'm looking for the evidence.

Right now Hillary has pretty much the votes needed, and is going for other states. I'm just curious if it's worth the money to spend on all of that advertisement.

Downticket races and Hilary could easily have some (justified) desires to crush the GOP as heavily as possible in November. Not just for the "mandate of the people" narrative, but as a giant gently caress You to the people who have spent decades personally attacking her and her family.

Plus if the GOP gets completely blown away with a far right crazy rear end in a top hat candidate then the powerbrokers are going to do everything they can to force a generic moderate as their candidate in 2020 while cleaning out the right wing house like Kansas just did in their primaries.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

I think the most troubling part of that is the idea that someone thinks a law firm is going to use a Wells Fargo account

Also :lol: at the name of the account being different

Dick Milhous Rock! fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 5, 2016

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

straight up brolic posted:

They didn't even get the name right, it's KM Khan not JM Khan

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

^^^^ beaten :mad: ^^^^

straight up brolic posted:

Which one? The JM Khan Law Office or the KM Khan Law Office?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
^ Great Minds :hf: ^

Dude couldn't even keep straight if it was JM Khan or KM Khan lol

gregday
May 23, 2003

Redgrendel2001 posted:

You guys are forgetting that it became an issue because of certain Mormon practices, i.e. "joy books".

I legit had never heard of these and now understand why the binders comment was so bad. I thought it was just a stupid thing he said.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The 8/1 payment is the best part because whoever made this didn't even bother to realize that the hack wouldn't have access to poo poo after it was discovered. And certainly not three days ago lmao.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Which one? The JM Khan Law Office or the KM Khan Law Office?

Josef bugman posted:

are you high?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I mean goddamn at least put a little effort into your forgeries.

This is "girl carves a backwards B into her face" tier

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
So that McClatchy-Marist Poll has with Clinton +15 has Democrats +8 overall in congressional elections, what is the general margin before Democrats taking back the house actually becomes realistic?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Should I erase the texture mapping where I cut out one document and placed it onto a pure white background?

Nah..................................

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

rscott posted:

So that McClatchy-Marist Poll has with Clinton +15 has Democrats +8 overall in congressional elections, what is the general margin before Democrats taking back the house actually becomes realistic?

http://election.princeton.edu/house-polling-margin/

it's very very unlikely

• Locked thread