Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Hazdoc posted:

Stock Gun (155mm) Mogami is still excellent... if you never have to turn your guns. Unfortunately, being at T8, if you are against enemies that can clank 2 brain cells together and they see you're packing 155mm guns, they will assuredly load AP and aim for citadel hits. If you wiggle to avoid getting hit, you're also no longer on target. 155mm Mogami is a glass cannon, like the Pepsicola, except instead of taking citadel hits from every angle, you just can't bring your guns to bear without exposing yourself to great risk... or simply not ever going broadside, which is also a problem.

I really wish WG would just address the Mogami's 155mm guns soon. 203mm is boring, as I already have the Atago which does it better and a Myoko which is basically the same thing... I want the gimmicky 155mm guns for melting DDs!

I haven't had a problem with it so far since the rudder shift time is :rice: and I can just turn the entire ship to face whatever while dodging incoming fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Hazdoc posted:

gently caress meeeeeeeeeeeee

Guess I'll update my commander skills guide. I've got to work up the :effort: first, though.

Should be easy enough, it's basically the same except something else for rank 1 instead of situational awareness isn't it? Or did they tweak them all again?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Its actually interesting to hear someone NOT complain about the Mogami for a change. I had actually reached and Elite-d it back in the days when it gained all the benefits of BFT, EM & AFT and it was a fantastic ship. I wouldn't say OP, because the Atago was still clearly better and I subsequently came to like the NO, but at least the Mogami did something different. I had planned to stop there and setup a 15 point captain on it, but then the nerfs came so I dumped it and moved on to the Ibuki.

But does the Mogami do anything now that the Chapyaev doesn't do better? The only advantage the Mogami has is its torps, rudder, and 3 extra barrels in the 155mm config. Chappy has better turret traverse, MUCH better shell arcs, radar and better AA...all of which are more important. I think they are about even in concealment, HP and armor.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Mogami is in the same boat as the Cleveland, it really needs the long prophesied CL/CA split so that it can be unnerfed, ie in its case dropped a tier

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

Ships

Bismarck: hydroacoustic search consumable added (Hipper's variant)
Friedrich der Große: hydroacoustic search consumable added (Hindenburg's variant)
Grosser Currywurst: hydroacoustic search consumable added (Hindenburg's variant)
Karlsruhe: rate of fire fuckery on B hull fixed (the guns now have their proper 6.5 reload time on the B hull)
Shells

0.5.9 German 420mm shell changes reverted
More detailed version: 420mm HE: drag buffed, mass changed (1280 > 1220), initial velocity buffed (775 > 800)
420mm AP: drag buffed, mass changed (1280 > 1220), initial velocity buffed (775 > 800), alpha nerfed (13600 > 13500)

Interesting...I really like the look of the Bismarck and I'm going to go for one and sell my Amagi. I don't need/fancy another T10 grind either.

That means I have a 14 point IJN captain to use in something else now...how is the buffed Furutaka?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
The closest thing to the old school Mogami is the Dimitri Donskoi.
But it's tier 9.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Krogort posted:

The closest thing to the old school Mogami is the Dimitri Donskoi.
But it's tier 9.

Well they could go two ways, unnerf it to the before time and bump it to tier 9, or keep it mostly as is and drop it to 7, in both instances stripping the 8" guns as an option. The Japanese CL line is going to be a bit paper at the top end no matter what they do, without the Mogami it runs out of real ships at tier 6.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Aug 5, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
They really should allow carriers to set BARCAPs and orbit friendly ships (particularly valuable ones or ones with lovely AA) with fighters.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So I remember there being some form of account linking between World of Warships and WoT. Did that ever materialise into anything in the end?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Premium time is linked, but nothing else is, because they wanted people to spend real money on early premium ships rather than years worth of stored free clan gold from tanks. Two edged sword, because the lack of crossover meant a whole lot of tanks people never bothered, and the NA servers in particular have never gotten the numbers, and that's saying something given how undersized the NA tanks population is. Other decisions like Russians over RN have only compounded the problem.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They really should allow carriers to set BARCAPs and orbit friendly ships (particularly valuable ones or ones with lovely AA) with fighters.

You can set fighters to orbit a friendly ship

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 5, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

You can set fighters to orbit a friendly ship

The extent of my carrier know-how has been three games playing co-op on the last test server, so I didn't know this. I prefer to shoot shells over micromanaging.

In other news, I like my new little firestarter:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The extent of my carrier know-how has been three games playing co-op on the last test server, so I didn't know this. I prefer to shoot shells over micromanaging.

If you hover the cursor over a friendly ship with fighters selected the cursor turns into a recycling symbol, click it and your fighters orbit around it widely. I really don't use it very often, but it's there.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's the best way to spend money on this game regarding premium? does it share premium with WoT or did they never make it? I think not because i have like 15 million in WoWS and only 800kcredits in WoT.

basically i want some premium for august and enough gold to buy enough garage slots and barrack spaces to not worry about having to sell pretty ships ever again or having to keep bad ones just to save on barrack slots.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mans posted:

what's the best way to spend money on this game regarding premium? does it share premium with WoT or did they never make it? I think not because i have like 15 million in WoWS and only 800kcredits in WoT.

basically i want some premium for august and enough gold to buy enough garage slots and barrack spaces to not worry about having to sell pretty ships ever again or having to keep bad ones just to save on barrack slots.

Yes it shares premium time with tanks, so you can use tanks gold to buy premium within tanks, and it counts as premium time for warships as well.

To get extra port slots, you'll need to spend real money on getting doubloons, which is warships gold.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Pacra posted:

AFT and DE on a bogatyr is a pyromaniac BB sniper's dream. It's a great boat set up that way.

How does it compare to the current St Louis?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Clarence posted:

How does it compare to the current St Louis?

It outranges it by 1km with the upgraded fire control, and once you get AFT it gets ~13.7km range with the 130mm. And while it it doesn't have the legs to distance itself, it's faster than the St. Louis and it's a way smaller target. You pretty much have to stick on the periphery of your 11.4km pre-AFT range and just pick the most vulnerable target and bathe it in flame until it's dead. Rinse and repeat, and your guns have semi decent arc, so if you don't have the obstruction marker showing, throw shells behind hills and islands.

Expert Marksman is a must, too - you'd think with the ship pretty much having 360 degree firing arcs and gun coverage that you'd always be able to at least poo poo out a quarter broadside's worth of guns, but they've got a stock 36s 180 traverse, so if you're ~serpentining~, you can occasionally find the guns misaligned.

Flamu says stick with 152mm...but the 130mms turn slightly faster and you poo poo out more shells more quickly with BFT.

-----

Also, seems there's a 30% off equipment and 50% off captain retraining sale going on, with 15% discounts on T8-T10 ships of all nations. No in-game premium ship discounts. Equipment demounting is also 15g instead of the usual 25, and there's a 1g/35xp thing going on as well.

I also don't remember seeing this for sale: https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/main/2034/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 5, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

...Wait, what? Dammit, I just bought Ibuki a few days ago (actually had it researched for months). I don't even recall the last time they did a sale on T9s and was not remotely expecting one, so was just finally getting buying it out of the way. I'm not even finished equipping it yet since it drained basically my entire reserve - just Main Armaments Mod. 1 and Concealment System Mod. 1 so far.

Not that not having it fully equipped stopped me from taking it out last night for the first game. Ended up managing to take nearly no damage, and making a net of 150k silver. Best part was torping a Gearing that smoked and then just sat still in said smoke. Certainly better than my usual results trying to struggle through Kagero - which I think I'm just going to bench indefinitely at this point.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

I decided to create an EU account for those times when the NA server is dead (I'm in Europe so should have really started there but...).

From being a decidely average T5-T7 player, it's incredible how good I seem to be at T2-T3. So much so that for the first time I'm cursing that High Caliber rewards can only be got once a day.

Tearing everyone a new one in my St Louis game after game, but now it seems like the Bogatyr would be even better!

https://eu.warships.today/player/539593701/vonKludge

If you think you're a mediocre player at mid-high levels, try a new account on the other server to see the difference.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I also don't remember seeing this for sale: https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/main/2034/

It's the cute little destroyer with the single torpedo launchers :3:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Oh boy! My Kawachi is in gun range. Time to give the enemy a hail of shells!

Oh wait, they've gone into the Moon!

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Do not buy the Smith. I got one after spending 400 gems from the GNB event, and even that is too much. I already had a Tachibana and even that is more interesting, it is the stealthiest ship in the game, very small, has buggy guns, and the fastest torp reload in the game.

If you want to play T2 for whatever reason, get an Umikaze with Torpedo Acceleration.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

SkySteak posted:

Oh boy! My Kawachi is in gun range. Time to give the enemy a hail of shells!

Oh wait, they've gone into the Moon!

Look on the bright side. You've got better accuracy than Mikasa. :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

What you do is follow around a friendly destroyer, and call things out to him in team chat like they're a Pokemon, so you're achieving via proxy.

I did it in my Arkansas Beta last weekend with a Minekaze, he got so annoyed with me telling him "Go Minekaze, use torpedo attack!" that he turned around and fired them at me.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

Look on the bright side. You've got better accuracy than Mikasa. :v:

Fair enough.

So I am trying out my Kawachi and I know someone said that tier 3-4 BBs are tough to play but is there anything I am missing? I find that I will go down one flank, do about 13-20k damage before either being torped by a mixture destroyers or aircraft or just burnt down via HE. I try not to expose my broadside and I also try not to overextend but I found that the Kawachi has the whole effect that extremely slow tanks in WoT do where you either are utterly hosed as your team had died or utterly hosed as your team has moved on ahead and killed everything.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
You're not missing anything, the Kawachi (And Myogi) really are just slow, bad, miserable piles of garbage.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Isn't the Myogi fairly fast?

I'm not going to dispute the other parts.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Upgraded Myogi has 29kt top speed so it is a fast piece of crap, thank you very much. Suffer through it and don't look back, t3-4 with BB aren't representative at all about what BBs can do in this game.

e: and then suffer some more until you upgrade the kongo since its stock hull is crap as well. :v: Though the stock hull of Japanese BB being crap will stay up the line so more like peak Wargaming.

Junkozeyne fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 5, 2016

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, seems there's a 30% off equipment and 50% off captain retraining sale going on, with 15% discounts on T8-T10 ships of all nations. No in-game premium ship discounts. Equipment demounting is also 15g instead of the usual 25, and there's a 1g/35xp thing going on as well.

I just bought a Gearing 2 days ago. :negative:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

kaesarsosei posted:

Do not buy the Smith. I got one after spending 400 gems from the GNB event, and even that is too much. I already had a Tachibana and even that is more interesting, it is the stealthiest ship in the game, very small, has buggy guns, and the fastest torp reload in the game.

If you want to play T2 for whatever reason, get an Umikaze with Torpedo Acceleration.

Does it still have a 10s torp reload?

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

You're not missing anything, the Kawachi (And Myogi) really are just slow, bad, miserable piles of garbage.

Like I can handle scattergun like main battery fire or horrifically short range but putting that with glacial speed and handling like a fridge is just too much. I am lucky I have some WoT premium time available so I can plough through it all.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

kaesarsosei posted:

Interesting...I really like the look of the Bismarck and I'm going to go for one and sell my Amagi. I don't need/fancy another T10 grind either.

That means I have a 14 point IJN captain to use in something else now...how is the buffed Furutaka?

A T8 BB with 7km base range on secondaries and Sonar ? Yes please :dance:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

SkySteak posted:

Like I can handle scattergun like main battery fire or horrifically short range but putting that with glacial speed and handling like a fridge is just too much. I am lucky I have some WoT premium time available so I can plough through it all.

Also a nonzero number of moron friends willing to division with you.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Are they going to add hydroacoustic search to the Tirpitz too?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41rJQaiWYpA

Great Elector lookin good.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

xthetenth posted:

Also a nonzero number of moron friends willing to division with you.

That would be wonderful.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Anyone got the Hiei yet ? This thing just turned up in my harbor and it has the most garish and blinding pink camo I ever saw.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Wow! Takes on a yamato at or near full health while the elector is at half. Walks out with 1/4th health remaining and a dead yamato. And it looks like it has the old yamato or maybe the warsprite's heal.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Flamu says stick with 152mm...but the 130mms turn slightly faster and you poo poo out more shells more quickly with BFT.

I'd disagree with Flamu here as the AFT 130s already have a high travel time. The 152s feel like ionosphere mortars.

NTRabbit posted:

The Storozhevoi is hardly around long enough for an opinion, the Derzki is fun, the Izyaslav is poo poo, the Gnevny is poo poo, the Ognevoi is great and best in tier.

I appreciate some of your insights in this thread since inception, but this is a terrible opinion.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

JuffoWup posted:

Wow! Takes on a yamato at or near full health while the elector is at half. Walks out with 1/4th health remaining and a dead yamato. And it looks like it has the old yamato or maybe the warsprite's heal.

The Yamato takes 3 Kagero torps, but the fact that the Yamato couldn't wreck it at close range is pretty drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

SkySteak posted:

Fair enough.

So I am trying out my Kawachi and I know someone said that tier 3-4 BBs are tough to play but is there anything I am missing? I find that I will go down one flank, do about 13-20k damage before either being torped by a mixture destroyers or aircraft or just burnt down via HE. I try not to expose my broadside and I also try not to overextend but I found that the Kawachi has the whole effect that extremely slow tanks in WoT do where you either are utterly hosed as your team had died or utterly hosed as your team has moved on ahead and killed everything.

The Kawachi is bad.

The Myogi is the worst ship I've had the misfortune of playing.

But the Kongo makes the grind through them somewhat worth it.