Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
JMS's Hyperion and SS both suffer from JMS's habit of using characters to lecture other characters in the most droll manner possible, about how badass they are. Which sucks cause the inherent concept of Superman being captured and raised as an American weapon and then straining his bonds is a really good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yep, exactly. If I'm going to read a bad writer coming up with a million ways about having a guy say he's going to break his foot off in somebody's rear end, at least someone like Brian Azzarello can be a little bit creative about it. JMS' writing is just distracting.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I actually really liked his Midnight Nation and the first part of Rising Stars, surprised Midnight Nation hasn't been made into something. TV or Movie wise.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AccountSupervisor posted:

Did this thread just spend 2 pages mistaking a shot from Thor with Blade Runner because :lol:

"Congratulations, you played yourself."

To be fair to them, talking about Blade Runner is always a good thing, but yeah I was biting my tongue during that whole exchange since I had already called out that it was from Thor pages back.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Based on a recent post BiggerBoat made in the concept art thread, I googled around Superman Returns and where they almost went before Man of Steel, and the Singer sequel to SR sounds pretty crazy:

quote:

IESB put up the report a few days ago which goes into detail on scenes from Superman Returns that were never released and more interestingly, Bryan Singer’s plans for its sequel. There were several different basic outlines for how the sequel could have played out but the storyline that would’ve likely been turned into a full screenplay included the following plot points which I’ve summarized into point form below:

- Singer’s The Man of Steel takes place several years after Superman Returns where people are used to having Supes back.
- New Krypton, Lex Luthor’s growing island that Superman tossed into space has grown into a speherical moon that the people of Earth can see.
- The new moon attracts attention of alien visitors however, and a big alien ship arrives.
- Superman flies up to check it out. It carries another Kryptonian survivor. Party time.
- Clark takes his newfound friend on a tour of Earth but this other Kryptonian is puzzled as to why Superman hasn’t used his powers to fix the world of its problems (hunger, war, etc.). I kind of like this guy.
- Superman explains the rule of not interfering with development of Earth.
- The visitor disagrees and aims to use his powers to “fix” the world with his first mission being to intervene in a feud between two third world countries. War breaks out but the Kryptonian takes things into his own hands and ends it quickly by annihilating their armies.
- For his second opening act, the new alien visitor lays down rules for the entire world, saying that there will be no more wars or he will deal with the aggressor country.
- The big modern societies of the world are in favor of this, applauding the new “hero” who is now willing to share advanced tech and use his powers to end the world’s other problems. Those who disagree feel the wrath.
- As a result, Earth’s familiar Kryptonian, Superman, has been outcasted since he didn’t do this earlier and kept advanced technology from them.
- Suspicious of the other Kryptonian, Supes examines the ship to find it loaded with clones of his new friend.
- Using the ship’s computers, he find out this other Kryptonian and clones are actually an artificial intelligence which has grown on its own since Krypton has destroyed. Its/His name: Brainiac.
- Over the years since Kryptonian’s explosive end, Brainiac has travelled from world to world, “fixing” them and then destroying them and Earth is his new target. It was Brainiac who actually destroyed Krypton.
- Superman tries to let the world’s leaders know and ends up battling Brainiac who can continue to resurrect into other clone bodies in stasis.
- Eventually, the Man of Steel takes down the ship but Brainiac transfers his consciousness into Superman’s kid. Remember him?
- You can imagine the moral dilemma here. Earth or the Brainiac-infused boy? In the end, young Jason White is killed by his red-caped dad in order to save the world.

Interesting re: the discussion and reaction to MoS. It emphasizes why Superman can't just Save Everyone and Do Everything.

But also apparently ends with Superman basically murdering a child.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Electromax posted:

Based on a recent post BiggerBoat made in the concept art thread, I googled around Superman Returns and where they almost went before Man of Steel, and the Singer sequel to SR sounds pretty crazy:

Interesting re: the discussion and reaction to MoS. It emphasizes why Superman can't just Save Everyone and Do Everything.

Yeah that actually sounds pretty cool up until the hard left turn of the last two bullet points

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
It seems like Brainiac was doing a pretty good job helping create world peace, so why can't superman do that but just dont do the last step of 'destroy the world you brought peace too'??

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jerkface posted:

It seems like Brainiac was doing a pretty good job helping create world peace, so why can't superman do that but just dont do the last step of 'destroy the world you brought peace too'??

Why doesn't God impose peace? It abuts against free will, and in Superman's case, his judgement being better than billions of others.

EDIT: This is basically every Ellis comic book in the aughties.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Electromax posted:

Does Superman beat him to death while crying?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Electromax posted:

I want to see all the unmade Superman movies. I would have legitimately been into this one. Burton's and all the aborted 90s nonstarts would have been fun curiosities.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Even the one with the giant spider?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think I hosed up the post that Electromax was referring to because I was talking about some really crazy concept art from a documentary I watched called "The Death of Superman Lives". Maybe I wrote "The Death of Superman Returns"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Marvel has no equivalent with the same cachet. A lot of people feel like the fact that Watchmen is about superhero comics makes it impenetrable and insular but that exact thing makes it stand out, it's very well positioned as the alpha and omega if you don't want to bother reading any other superhero comics.

I don't know. I think you have to have a pretty solid understanding of superhero comics to really appreciate what Watchmen did and was trying to say. I can't imagine a casual reader who only knows about Batman, Superman and Spiderman TV shows or used to watch Superfriends as a kid just grabbing it up and really being able to pick up what it was about.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Superman sacrificing his son totally makes sense for Bryan Singer's Superman.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jerkface posted:

See the first 15 minutes of Man Of Steel (or Independence Day, for that matter). The 'peace' inevitably leads to the apocalypse. Superman doesn't come to bring peace, but a sword.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
\

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It sucks balls, like everything JMS has written since Babylon 5.

i'll go to bat for parts of his spider-man

superman grounded can eat my rear end

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

See the first 15 minutes of Man Of Steel (or Independence Day, for that matter). The 'peace' inevitably leads to the apocalypse. Superman doesn't come to bring peace, but a sword.

Despite some imagery and Zack Snyder's film version in particular, Superman isn't very similar to Jesus. So I'm not sure what you're trying to get across with bible quotes. I know from your posts that you really enjoy imbuing these pulpy action characters with really rich and complex symbolism, but it doesn't always necessarily apply.

Superman, as he's generally written, is just a humble nice guy trying to do good. These superhero stories don't usually go so far as to having to make huge hard choices, and I do like it when they do. But even still, the various choices Superman makes over his career condradict eachother and are the whims of various editors and writers over the years. Largely though, I just don't think he's much different than say a firefighter. He's just trying to put out fires, that's about it usually.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Heavy Metal posted:

Despite some imagery and Zack Snyder's film version in particular, Superman isn't very similar to Jesus. So I'm not sure what you're trying to get across with bible quotes. I know from your posts that you really enjoy imbuing these pulpy action characters with really rich and complex symbolism, but it doesn't always necessarily apply.

Superman, as he's generally written, is just a humble nice guy trying to do good. These superhero stories don't usually go so far as to having to make huge hard choices, and I do like it when they do. But even still, the various choices Superman makes over his career condradict eachother and are the whims of various editors and writers over the years. Largely though, I just don't think he's much different than say a firefighter. He's just trying to put out fires, that's about it usually.

I am not talking about how the character is generally written. I'm talking about the plot synopsis, posted above, where Brainaic is unambiguously the antichrist.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I am not talking about how the character is generally written. I'm talking about the plot synopsis, posted above, where Brainaic is unambiguously the antichrist.

Ah, gotcha. You mentioned something about looking to the first fifteen minutes of Man of Steel for context. In that synopsis, what makes Brainiac an antichrist in particular? I guess a Braniac infused boy is a bit like Damien at least.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
My opinions on Suicide Squad in lovely brick format.

It was pretty entertaining. Deadshot was a legit cool character and I liked what they did with him. Harley Quinn was ok in small doses which is unfortunate because she had a huge focus. Everything with the Joker felt unnecessary, it's pretty obvious they were just trying to shoehorn him in here somehow. Same with Batman. I really wanted to see more of Katana, also I thought it was hilarious how she weeps to her husbands soul trapped in her magic blade and yet kills a poo poo ton of bad guys...wherein their souls presumably torment husbandosoul for eternity? Killer Croc was not understandable at all between his hick accent and the voice effects. I really liked Flagg's character, he seemed like the only one with an actual character arc. I thought the Enchantress was well portrayed, although it looks like most people hated her. I liked her various looks and weird movements and her otherworldliness. Amanda Waller was of course a super hardass. The soundtrack definitely felt like a bit much.

Overall I'd give it a 6/10 movie theater experience.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't know. I think you have to have a pretty solid understanding of superhero comics to really appreciate what Watchmen did and was trying to say. I can't imagine a casual reader who only knows about Batman, Superman and Spiderman TV shows or used to watch Superfriends as a kid just grabbing it up and really being able to pick up what it was about.

Just as Lt. Ken says, it taught in English Lit courses. It does such a thorough job of explaining its own context that there is nothing else needed.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Is the absence of Captain Boomerang in your review a commentary on his character, Rough Lobster? :v:
He seems like the comic relief when there's plenty of comedy potential from the other folks. He also doesn't seem to contribute much to the team beyond his cam-boomerang. Some might call the role a commentary on Jai Courtney!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Rough Lobster posted:

Killer Croc was not understandable at all between his hick accent and the voice effects.
Wait, Adewale is capable of doing a 'hick' accent? Or is he not voicing the character at all?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Slugworth posted:

Wait, Adewale is capable of doing a 'hick' accent? Or is he not voicing the character at all?

It's a very heavy AAVE accent which is very similar to a Southern White accent. I thought he sounded a little Cajun, but that might be because he's a croc.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Croc was a little hard to understand, but a lot of cool accents are.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rough Lobster posted:

Killer Croc was not understandable at all between his hick accent and the voice effects.

Enunciating around those ridiculous prosthetic teeth must have been a nightmare.

Why he kept them in for post-prod ADR I'll never know.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BTW one little thing I liked about Suicide Squad is they stylized the non-English subtitles during the segments where Enchantress speaks her spooky language. It sometimes happens that there's suddenly stylized English subtitles during movie segments with the Dutch translation in plain font right below them, making for a temporary doubling of letters. In Suicide Squad they just replaced the stylized English with Dutch. That's a nice touch, I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 6, 2016

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Mierenneuker posted:

Is the absence of Captain Boomerang in your review a commentary on his character, Rough Lobster? :v:
He seems like the comic relief when there's plenty of comedy potential from the other folks. He also doesn't seem to contribute much to the team beyond his cam-boomerang. Some might call the role a commentary on Jai Courtney!

Captain Boomerang threw a grand total of one (by my count) boomerang and mostly just used them as knives. His pink unicorn moments felt incredibly lame and forced. I did like his interaction with Slipknot and the way he immediately scampered off when the bombs were temporarily deactivated. overall I felt that they if they cut him and gave more time to another cast member it'd be a better movie.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From BSS.

Dacap posted:

Brie Larson just posted this on Instagram

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

I don't get it

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hat Thoughts posted:

I don't get it

That's the actress Marvel cast for Captain Marvel, posting a picture of herself dressed as Captain Marvel reading a Captain Marvel comic.

A few actors with comic character roles recently have done similar things, showing themselves reading up on the characters they'll be playing and getting familiar with the work - Bernthal with Welcome Back Frank for his role as the Punisher in Daredevil, for example.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
No way the actual movie costume will be as bright as those awesome Captain Marvel pajamas

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

So what's the hold up on more creator owned superhero movies being greenlit? Or otherwise alternative ones to Marvel/DC? We had the Hellboy movies a bit before the current Marvel movie boom, where's a Savage Dragon movie? Or Invincible (by Walking Dead's Robert Kirkman). I could even see a Witchblade/Darkness movie being very cool.

Disney and WB are all in, you'd think some other companies would try to get these things going. Granted, there's a Power Rangers movie happening, that's a non-Marvel/DC superhero thingy sorta.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Supposedly there's a new Spawn being made maybe

Youngblood is ever rumbling in development hell

Invincible wouldn't work too well as a movie I don't think. But who knows

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

There's been a new Spawn movie being made since 1998, I wouldn't hold my breath.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

So what's the hold up on more creator owned superhero movies being greenlit? Or otherwise alternative ones to Marvel/DC? We had the Hellboy movies a bit before the current Marvel movie boom, where's a Savage Dragon movie? Or Invincible (by Walking Dead's Robert Kirkman). I could even see a Witchblade/Darkness movie being very cool.

Disney and WB are all in, you'd think some other companies would try to get these things going. Granted, there's a Power Rangers movie happening, that's a non-Marvel/DC superhero thingy sorta.

Most of the creator-owned comics getting adapted recently was created by Mark Millar and I think that has more to do with him than the comics.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Witchblade is so weird, it had that tv series that was occasionally decent and then there was the manga/anime of it where they did like a total Japanese remake of the property that was big in Japan for a bit too and then it all just disappeared.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Heavy Metal posted:

Darkness would be great if they got Mike Patton again to do the voice

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cythereal posted:

That's the actress Marvel cast for Captain Marvel, posting a picture of herself dressed as Captain Marvel reading a Captain Marvel comic.

A few actors with comic character roles recently have done similar things, showing themselves reading up on the characters they'll be playing and getting familiar with the work - Bernthal with Welcome Back Frank for his role as the Punisher in Daredevil, for example.
The cynic in me says it's a marketing ploy to forestall any potential backlash from geek media.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Halloween Jack posted:

The cynic in me says it's a marketing ploy to forestall any potential backlash from geek media.

Embrace the healing power of "and."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's going to be interesting what they come up with for her origin or even if it's a origin movie at all. I hope they go with Space Cop / Earth Border Control angle.

• Locked thread