Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The entire republican party runs on cutting funding and services they actually use. The voters are convinced they use no government services and that they are paying for free loaders. Its some really mysterious poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Goodpancakes posted:

The entire republican party runs on cutting funding and services they actually use. The voters are convinced they use no government services and that they are paying for free loaders. Its some really mysterious poo poo.
No, they know exactly what they use and how they need it. Remember when Sandy hit and all of a sudden the abolish FEMA folk came walking up to Washington with their hats in hand?
Cognitive Dissonance is a survival tool for them.

Hence why the guy who played Coach could get all indignant about never having to need help even when he was on welfare.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Goodpancakes posted:

No, it's different! See, this is to support the farmers and ranchers and is totally different from those welfare queens. I don't want them darkies touching /my/ money.

(seriously, this is what they believe)

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Being against volcano monitoring is such a bizarrely stupid critically important thing to want to cut, even for a republican from a state without volcanoes.
That's the best part: he wasn't just bitching about volcano monitoring. He said, “$140 million for something called ‘volcano monitoring.’” but $140 million is the budget for the US Geological Survey of which $7-14 million was actually for volcano monitoring. You know what else that $140 million paid for? River and stream monitoring. The Governor of Louisiana thinks watching for floods is a waste of money.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I remember Sarah Palin talking poo poo about research into fruit fly chromosomes and someone in that field replied that it was actually valuable for understanding Downs Syndrome...

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rick_Hunter posted:

Bolded part is exactly why he doesn't care. If it doesn't benefit him or the state personally then it's not worth it like hurricane relief for the Gulf of Mexico is required but gently caress those New Yorkers and Hurricane Sandy.

Even direct benefits rarely matter. "Fiscal responsibility" (i.e. "slashing everything but military budgets") wins points with the base. Critical thinking or less exciting projects do not.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Goodpancakes posted:

Well that and privatizing everything so that companies you just happen to have a stake in get to skim a ton off the top while providing the same service and treating workers worse

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Geostomp posted:

Even direct benefits rarely matter. "Fiscal responsibility" (i.e. "slashing everything but military budgets") wins points with the base. Critical thinking or less exciting projects do not.

That or you get "x should be funded only by donations and charity." They're totally ok with somebody giving millions to some cause or another but when the government spends the same amount on it then it's theft.

They couch it in freedom but really it's a mix of "not my problem" and "taxes are spent on things I am not currently benefitting from directly." They seriously believe at times that stuff like for profit emergency services are a totally sane and good idea.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

some of it is bigotry. lee atwater invented the strategy and was upfront about it. someone can't outright say "those blacks grumble grumble" any more and still be considered a polite upstanding politician, so you have to say things like "cut wasteful spending" and "welfare reform".

the thing i find interesting about this is that there are a lot of politicians and voters out there who don't even understand this, so they genuinely think that people calling them bigots is wrong. and it may actually be wrong, for some or even many of them. but the part that isn't wrong is that those code-words are still received by the ears of bigots in that way. so even someone who is genuinely a really nice person can inadvertently appeal to a KKK member's hatred :v:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

some of it is bigotry. lee atwater invented the strategy and was upfront about it. someone can't outright say "those blacks grumble grumble" any more and still be considered a polite upstanding politician, so you have to say things like "cut wasteful spending" and "welfare reform".

the thing i find interesting about this is that there are a lot of politicians and voters out there who don't even understand this, so they genuinely think that people calling them bigots is wrong. and it may actually be wrong, for some or even many of them. but the part that isn't wrong is that those code-words are still received by the ears of bigots in that way. so even someone who is genuinely a really nice person can inadvertently appeal to a KKK member's hatred :v:

Until they start misappropriating New France's rifles they'll never properly be Bigots

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
"I don't want to help blah people."

-A man whose personality can be summed up by a v neck sweater with a tie.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

corn in the bible posted:

Until they start misappropriating New France's rifles they'll never properly be Bigots

Belgian rifles work the same way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJAsdTGX-9Y

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Tardcore posted:

Didn't Trump call these dudes terrorists too? The lot of them are hosed.

Yeah, like the Orange One doesn't flipflop or backpedal. None the less I don't see that happening. These guys really aren't that important a block to suck dick for

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

No, they know exactly what they use and how they need it. Remember when Sandy hit and all of a sudden the abolish FEMA folk came walking up to Washington with their hats in hand?
Cognitive Dissonance is a survival tool for them.

Hence why the guy who played Coach could get all indignant about never having to need help even when he was on welfare.

Even better GOP congressmen in the south demanded the feds pay for hurricane relief but blocked the Sandy bill because it would increase the deficit.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

iospace posted:

No, it's different! See, this is to support the farmers and ranchers and is totally different from those welfare queens. I don't want them darkies touching /my/ money.

(seriously, this is what they believe)

Reminds me of a conversation with a conservative that was against social healthcare I had on Topix once. Said he had to go to the emergency room and was bitching how he had no insurance and his bills were like 20k. I told him that'd be the great part about social healthcare. When you need care, you don't get stuck with a bill like that after. The argument of elective surgeries popped up, like that can't be regulated within the program. He finished off with "Well, they aren't getting anything from me, I don't make enough to pay this bill". When it was pointed out that's part of the reason healthcare costs so damned much and for a conservative that's not very financially responsible, his reply was "tough". So there you have it, these morons are willing to vote against their own interests as long as it prevents others from having it. They're that kid on the playground that gets mad, grabs his ball and goes home.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That or you get "x should be funded only by donations and charity." They're totally ok with somebody giving millions to some cause or another but when the government spends the same amount on it then it's theft.

They couch it in freedom but really it's a mix of "not my problem" and "taxes are spent on things I am not currently benefitting from directly." They seriously believe at times that stuff like for profit emergency services are a totally sane and good idea.

There was a fire department out in Oregon or some such that was doing that. You paid them a fee every year so the family could live off it and in turn they promised to put out fires for you. the place was such a run down poo poo show with aged equipment from the 50's and 60's that broke down so often they earned a rep for never being there when you needed them

Ah, here it is, Grant's Pass http://my.firefighternation.com/forum/topics/the-worst-fire-company-in-america

SocketWrench has issued a correction as of 01:27 on Aug 7, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, like the Orange One doesn't flipflop or backpedal. None the less I don't see that happening. These guys really aren't that important a block to suck dick for

actually this is almost the entirety of trump's natural voting bloc, is white dudes who are sympathetic to the yall-queda

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

cumshitter posted:

There is footage of Bobby Jindal out there saying "I'm the sheriff, and what I say goes!" in a really, really bad attempt to slam Obama for overreaching his Constitutional authority. It was one of those immensely awkward GOP rebuttal to the State of the Union speeches where, after watching Obama stand before Congress, they follow it up by having some doofus stand directly in front of a camera like a shy 3rd grader who recorded his speech for class.

the democrats do it too when theyre out of the wh, and its always gotta be some local goober because all the important people in both parties are at the sotui

e i mean jindal is terrible but the sotu response is, weak as it naturally is. roughly half of whats left of equal time.

the remainder, of course, being whatever nonsense david brooks wants to spout on pbs this week

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Lutha Mahtin posted:

actually this is almost the entirety of trump's natural voting bloc, is white dudes who are sympathetic to the yall-queda

Perhaps some that do want him have those same beliefs, but they're held together by much more common and stronger beliefs like racism and bigotry, along with not a democrat and certainly not a Clinton. By the time the Orange One has the power to do anything for them he won't need them and toss them aside anyways. As much as they like to play up the "one of us" vibe, he's still a rich, entitled sociopath that got where he is by treating people like a commodity.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

SocketWrench posted:

Perhaps some that do want him have those same beliefs, but they're held together by much more common and stronger beliefs like racism and bigotry, along with not a democrat and certainly not a Clinton. By the time the Orange One has the power to do anything for them he won't need them and toss them aside anyways. As much as they like to play up the "one of us" vibe, he's still a rich, entitled sociopath that got where he is by treating people like a commodity.

Yes, but they'll support him so long as they see him strike out at the Enemy. That's the one thing they really care about : proving themselves right by hurting someone different than themselves. It's the whole reason they buy into he Orange One's obvious bullshit and the fact that he's the embodiment of what the religion they claim to support denounces and why they reject support solely because the Other would also benefit.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Or, you know, they understand he's the most conservative option and are voting for him in much the way a leftist would vote for Hillary. If you are socially conservative then that's kind of an obvious choice to make.

Like yeah obviously trump ain't gonna be legitimizing sovcit ideas but he might pick a justice that hates the gays

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Or, you know, they understand he's the most conservative option and are voting for him in much the way a leftist would vote for Hillary. If you are socially conservative then that's kind of an obvious choice to make.

Like yeah obviously trump ain't gonna be legitimizing sovcit ideas but he might pick a justice that hates the gays

plus, Trump is most likely to incite the holy (/race) war they've all been waiting for

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

I seriously doubt it's just because he's the best option, since all the other party nominees viewed stuff the same or even more right than the Orange One, they just didn't blatantly state racist, sexist, and bigoted beliefs. Even strongly conservative people are tossing the Orange One because of those reasons. Hell, the Harvard Republicans aren't voting for him and they've voted straight republican for some 130 years.
Even other groups that were going Trump are backing away from him now and reducing their votes to "Anyone but Clinton"

and likewise there's a bunch of leftists out there that wanted Bernie and won't vote hillary.

Summing the whole thing up to "righty votes right" is being incredibly ignorant to what's actually going on

SocketWrench has issued a correction as of 03:40 on Aug 8, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
JJ MacNabb, on Russia's role in the whole mess:

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/762384723859546112
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/762384933847314433
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/762385955168727040
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/762386358614622209

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
To me that just shows that Russian media is great at producing clickbait for right-wing conspiracy theorists more than anything else.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Internet Webguy posted:

To me that just shows that Russian media is great at producing clickbait for right-wing conspiracy theorists more than anything else.

FTFY

Lots of left leaning people also believe the russian generated conspiracy theory bullshit

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

FTFY

Lots of left leaning people also believe the russian generated conspiracy theory bullshit

Case in point where the two intersect...

Zeroisanumber posted:

Putin, Jill Stein, and Donald Trump's military advisor Michael Flynn attending dinner for RT.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
There are useful idiots of all political stripes and leanings.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

SocketWrench posted:

I seriously doubt it's just because he's the best option, since all the other party nominees viewed stuff the same or even more right than the Orange One, they just didn't blatantly state racist, sexist, and bigoted beliefs. Even strongly conservative people are tossing the Orange One because of those reasons. Hell, the Harvard Republicans aren't voting for him and they've voted straight republican for some 130 years.
Even other groups that were going Trump are backing away from him now and reducing their votes to "Anyone but Clinton"

and likewise there's a bunch of leftists out there that wanted Bernie and won't vote hillary.

Summing the whole thing up to "righty votes right" is being incredibly ignorant to what's actually going on

anyone but clinton is trump tho pmuch

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dr. Killjoy posted:

There are useful idiots of all political stripes and leanings.

I wouldn't call them useful though.

The opposite of that word would be appropriate.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

anyone but clinton is trump tho pmuch

Yeah, I suppose, if you like ignore everything they say and do, spray a coating of racing orange on them, and play a voice recording of Trump over them

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I would think that Corn was commenting more on the US's two party system.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, I suppose, if you like ignore everything they say and do, spray a coating of racing orange on them, and play a voice recording of Trump over them

or if you look at the people who are going to win: if not clinton, then trump

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
According to his wife on Facebook Jon Ritzheimer is pleading guilty. Sounds like they offered him a good enough deal to roll on all the others.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Your Gay Uncle posted:

According to his wife on Facebook Jon Ritzheimer is pleading guilty. Sounds like they offered him a good enough deal to roll on all the others.

I think he already pled guilty earlier this year.

Edit: Nvm, I think I got him confused with Blaine Cooper.

Rick_Hunter has issued a correction as of 19:54 on Aug 9, 2016

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Translation: 'our lawyer has said that we might be able to get a deal out of this.'

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
He's definitely going full snitch to get off the hook. Getting all of these guys at once was definitely a big blow to their entire "organization"

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Time to move the goalposts for what 'winning' means!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxaJY8UZxn4

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

red19fire posted:

Time to move the goalposts for what 'winning' means!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxaJY8UZxn4

lol white people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tangential to this whole thing, Trump just gave the movement a shot in the arm while probably making his biggest gaffe yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcxkkrNSv-4