Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kaleidolia posted:

I love everyone who emphasises how little the Joker is in this movie, since it highlights how absurd the Jared Leto stuff was. Did people just not tell him he didn't have that big a role? Were they scared to after he introduced himself via dead pig carcass?

Apparently they actually filmed quite a bit of Joker material and nearly all of it wound up on the cutting room floor. If it comes out that it was payback for what an insane, borderline dangerous prick Leto was during filming, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

Apparently they actually filmed quite a bit of Joker material and nearly all of it wound up on the cutting room floor. If it comes out that it was payback for what an insane, borderline dangerous prick Leto was during filming, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

Come on, even if you do believe in all that method acting inspired harassment nonsense the studio was clearly using all those sordid details to draw in the audience and add to its box office returns.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Given that a few years ago a subpar comedy got a delayed release until Christmas was enough to make nearly every liberal-minded internet critic dipshit shriek for North Korean blood and start cheering for Donald Trump and Mitt Romney for a few days, if anything the Jared Leto and the other J-named guy that cut himself made folk just more curious. Have an audience enter expecting edgelord nonsense and instead getting something that is slightly better than that, explaining both the low review score but somewhat pleased audience score.

Kim Justice did another normal review today of Italia 90', where she attempted to answer "Why in the hell did I and everyone else in Europe, Central and South America put so much time into this bad game as a kid."

Kunster fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Aug 8, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Effortposting, here we go

Adam from YMS did his Top Films of 2014 video. Love him or hate him, he watches a lot of films and puts a lot of effort into these yearly lists, to the point that he doesn't make the video unless he feels he's seen all the films of that year worth seeing. Although I disagree with a few of his more pedantic opinions, he can be super pretentious, and he has his head up his rear end on occasion (who doesn't), I think more often than not his recommendations are worth listening to. So if you have an hour and eighteen minutes to waste give it a watch, but if you don't here's a very brief look at his 2014 list:

Guilty Pleasures
Heaven Knows What (drama based on memoirs of a heroin addict)
Obvious Child (romantic comedy about unplanned pregnancy)
Goodbye To Language (artsy Youtube Poop of a film)

Actual List
29. Mistaken For Strangers (documentary about a band)
28. Life Itself (documentary about Roger Ebert)
27. Phoenix (drama about holocaust survivor)
26. Finding Vivian Maier (documentary about street photographer Vivian Maier)
25. Gett, the trial of Viviane Amsalem (drama about Israeli divorce)
24. The Raid 2 (good over the top action movie)
23. Citizenfour (documentary about Edward Snowden)
22. Two Days, One Night (drama about a sabotaged desperate woman)
21. Violent [drama (comedy?) that you can't actually watch yet]
20. Nightcrawler (noir/crime about a thief who takes pictures)
19. The Fool (drama about a plumber trying to save lives)
18. An Honest Liar (documentary on skeptic and debunker James Randi)
17. Enemy (thriller about two identical men)
16. Art and Craft (documentary about mischevious art forger)
15. Jodorowsky's Dune (documentary about a spectacularly failed adaptation)
14. Norte, the End of History (4 hour long drama about class, family, and crime
13. The Internet's Own Boy (documentary about co-founder of Reddit)
12. Under the Skin (sci-fi horror art film adaptation)
11. Ida (drama about a novice nun who goes to discover her family)
10. Winter Sleep (drama about class and power in Turkey)
9. Force Majeure (dark comedy about a family and an avalanche)
8. Gone Girl (thriller about a man and his missing wife)
7. The Lego Movie (animated satire about cliches, storytelling, and society)
6. Leviathan (drama about corruption and self destruction)
5. Magical Girl (noir film about cosplay and the terminally ill)
4. Grand Budapest Hotel (stylistic comedy about a hotel concierge and murder)
3. Whiplash (drama about a jazz student and an abusive instructor)
2. Mommy (drama about widowed single mother raising her violent son)
1. Birdman (drama/comedy about a washed up actor trying to be something again)

edit: spoilers removed because that was annoying to look at

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 8, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Baka-nin posted:

He didn't just say 2001 wasn't a film, he had a month long feud with his own fans over it spanning several videos. Still I thought his DS9 review was funny.

The DS9 review was bad because of all the things to complain about for season seven (which there are many) he took one of the least dumb aspects to tear into

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I have never understood the appeal of an internet critic less than in the case of Confused Matthew

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I have never understood the appeal of an internet critic less than in the case of Confused Matthew

ARE YOU HAVING FUN KIDS?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I spoke too soon, Confused Matthew has an archive on YouTube. And he's still making videos occasionally!

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Shut up about you stupid new movies, IT'S BUSHWHACKED FEVER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSoSkFDnhC4

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Cyron posted:

One of my fave eps, some of the jokes came from me and Phelan, ha ha. The movie was hilariously underwhelming.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Baka-nin posted:

Come on, even if you do believe in all that method acting inspired harassment nonsense the studio was clearly using all those sordid details to draw in the audience and add to its box office returns.

Nothing says that actors or studio flaks have to tell the truth when they give out information about stuff that allegedly happened while filming a movie.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

echopapa posted:

Nothing says that actors or studio flaks have to tell the truth when they give out information about stuff that allegedly happened while filming a movie.

Errr yeah, that was my point.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

nine-gear crow posted:

I go with one of two scenarios:

(less likely) They want to keep him under wraps for his Big Movie and not attached to what they already knew was a mess.

(more likely) His liabilities on set and lackluster performance meant they want to replace him with another Joker. They had to at least pretend to keep him in the movie or else the fallout would have tanked the opening weekend, their best chance to make money before word got out. This reduces him to a footnote rather than an albatross around the neck of Joker for the next movie.

I guess it's remotely possible we may one day see the pre-interference version of this movie, but I wouldn't bet on it; if even that version doesn't have Joker we'll know his scenes were a mess. I guess that adds the (incredibly unlikely) scenario of them wanting to sell a completely different movie on DVD and all the Joker scenes will be in that one.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

stillvisions posted:

I go with one of two scenarios:

(less likely) They want to keep him under wraps for his Big Movie and not attached to what they already knew was a mess.

(more likely) His liabilities on set and lackluster performance meant they want to replace him with another Joker. They had to at least pretend to keep him in the movie or else the fallout would have tanked the opening weekend, their best chance to make money before word got out. This reduces him to a footnote rather than an albatross around the neck of Joker for the next movie.

I guess it's remotely possible we may one day see the pre-interference version of this movie, but I wouldn't bet on it; if even that version doesn't have Joker we'll know his scenes were a mess. I guess that adds the (incredibly unlikely) scenario of them wanting to sell a completely different movie on DVD and all the Joker scenes will be in that one.

If they go with another Joker I hope they go with the notion that Leto-Joker is a former Robin. I think we all know who the real Joker should be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSMaHy9LShA

Monk E
May 19, 2009

stillvisions posted:

(more likely) His liabilities on set and lackluster performance meant they want to replace him with another Joker.
So that makes two major DC Movie villains that people are saying should be replaced with a different depiction of the same character.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Monk E posted:

So that makes two major DC Movie villains that people are saying should be replaced with a different depiction of the same character.

Lex Eisenberg was the only fun part of BvS and I'm astonished people want to get rid of him. He's literally the only actor who seems like he's having any amount of fun on set.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Just have Eisenberg play the joker, thats basically what he was doing in BvS.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa5GDGSTrtI
Top One things Mike and Jay didn't know about Suicide Squad

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Very funny. Also I legit did not know the ACE Chemicals scene was from a comic.

Edit: But what's amazing about the guard (I forget the actor's name but I know he's in a lot of stuff now) giving Harley the phone is that he does it right in front of everyone while they are moving her. Someone clearly heard him or saw that.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 9, 2016

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

lmao at the elevator music version of Hotline Bling playing in the background

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

BigRed0427 posted:

Very funny. Also I legit did not know the ACE Chemicals scene was from a comic.

Edit: But what's amazing about the guard (I forget the actor's name but I know he's in a lot of stuff now) giving Harley the phone is that he does it right in front of everyone while they are moving her. Someone clearly heard him or saw that.

In an unexpected twist, the spec ops soldiers moving the restrained, dangerous, and mentally unstable prisoner from the maximum security prison to the black ops staging ground are all being paid by the Joker too. And any of the soldiers who might've seen her with the highly visible pink phone between then and the plane are also henchmen.

It might've made more sense if we had a five second cut of him tossing the phone into Harley's personal effects which they later give to her.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 9, 2016

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

prahanormal posted:

Just have Eisenberg play the joker, thats basically what he was doing in BvS.

I was thinking Riddler myself, but same idea.

It's too bad - I went in assuming they were trying to modernize the "billionaire industrialist" villain by making him the dot-com disrupt billionaire. Like seriously, a figure like Thiel or Zuckerberg or a company like Uber would be easy pickings to make into a Lex Luthor-type villain. But instead they made him a rich kid with a vague God/parental complex and no subtlety. Also, the whole point of Lex was that by hiding behind a veneer of legality he was the villain that Superman couldn't touch, and that's already right out the window.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

stillvisions posted:

I was thinking Riddler myself, but same idea.

It's too bad - I went in assuming they were trying to modernize the "billionaire industrialist" villain by making him the dot-com disrupt billionaire. Like seriously, a figure like Thiel or Zuckerberg or a company like Uber would be easy pickings to make into a Lex Luthor-type villain. But instead they made him a rich kid with a vague God/parental complex and no subtlety. Also, the whole point of Lex was that by hiding behind a veneer of legality he was the villain that Superman couldn't touch, and that's already right out the window.
BvS talk.
IMO It's a problem with the Burton/Schumaker series. Penguin was the Joker, Two-Face was the Joker, Riddler was the Joker, and Poison Ivy and Mr Freeze were theme related Jokers. I think after Nicholson's Joker they started basing the villains' personalities off the bombastic Adam West show.

I never read the mainstream comics. I just watched the cartoons, so I assumed Luthor was a smug charismatic intellectual but was fairly reserved and composed. He never came off as unhinged to me. Like, Hannibal Lecter is crazy but he's not unhinged. I think Jesse's manic version of Luthor was interesting but too distracting. When thinking about him, instead of thinking about what his character did and why, all I can think of is him feeding a Jolly Rancher to a government official, or talking about Granny's Peach Tea, or ding-ding-ding-ding.

edit: The Toyota Camry name either began in 1979 or 1982 depending on what your definition of what the Camry is...

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 9, 2016

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MrSlam posted:

IMO It's a problem with the Burton/Schumaker series. Penguin was the Joker, Two-Face was the Joker, Riddler was the Joker, and Poison Ivy and Mr Freeze were theme related Jokers.

If you define "being the Joker" as operating in a very camp mode, then sure, but that's so broad that anything moderately theatrical could qualify.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Cyron posted:

Alaois' shitposts are way more amusing when you mentally tack "BUSHWACKED" to the end of them

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

I Before E posted:

If you define "being the Joker" as operating in a very camp mode, then sure, but that's so broad that anything moderately theatrical could qualify.

The 60s Batman show should have been called Too Many Jokers!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Y'all Jokers Must Be Crazy starring Will Smith

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Jokerface
The Mad Joker
King Joker
Bird Joker
Mr Joker
Riddlejoker
Egg-Themed Joker
and my favorite Joker-in-a-Catsuit

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Joker has had many different interpretations, the common thread is pretty much "he's crazy and has a malicious sense of humor".
Sometimes this means throwing a pie in the mayor's face, other times it means murdering people and crafting elaborate schemes to psychologically torture people for funsies.

In a comedy movie? Joker throws pies in people's faces. Mr Freeze isn't The Joker.

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 10, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Augus posted:

Joker throws pies in people's faces. Mr Freeze isn't The Joker.

Arnold Schwarzenegger would throw delicious eskimo-pies :colbert:

edit: I was going to post this clip because I thought they actually had eskimo pies in it but I never realized all his henchmen were trying to eat frozen TV dinners

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 10, 2016

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Do not even ask posted:

Alaois' shitposts are way more amusing when you mentally tack "BUSHWACKED" to the end of them

like a grime artiste

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Hbomberguy posted:

I hope everyone here doesn't need me to point out that Suicide Squad is a critique of the Avengers.

At least, the comics were. I haven't seen the SS movie yet but the late-eighties comics would openly riff on Marvel's big team, what with the American government attempting to create a clandestine organisation of people with superpowers that have to answer to them. Run, of course, by an iron-fisted government agent called Nick Fury Amanda Waller. The difference is that Waller is far more explicitly an antagonist than Fury, who the story treats like a good guy for some unknown reason even as he commits war crimes. The focus for the SS is often to escape from being pressed into service against their will and made to do hosed up stuff in the name of America, the circumstances they're dropped into being vestigial to this real threat. Suicide Squad's overall point, summed up in a sentence, would be 'why isn't Captain America punching Nick Fury in his loving face?' They're very good comics because they grasp the inefficiencies of the american-supremacist superhero narrative.

Sorry, this is from ages ago, but what? The government thing for the Avengers comes from Mark Miller's Ultimates, from the early 2000s. The Avengers were always independent before that.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Sorry, this is from ages ago, but what? The government thing for the Avengers comes from Mark Miller's Ultimates, from the early 2000s. The Avengers were always independent before that.

It's been mentioned already but Henry Gyrich fits the Amanda Waller role and he was introduced in the late 70s, before the original Suicide Squad comics.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I Before E posted:

It's been mentioned already but Henry Gyrich fits the Amanda Waller role and he was introduced in the late 70s, before the original Suicide Squad comics.

Sure, he sort of "had control" over the team, but he wasn't their handler or anything. The US didn't own them, they just pressured the Avengers to listening to work with them as the country realistically would(isn't the other argument thrown around that superheroes are all objectivist ubermenschs who don't answer to any authority?). He was a lesion who leveraged the government's interests against the team and he mostly butted heads with them. Even if you equate him to Waller, who's relationship with the team is half antagonistic in similar ways, that's not a "critique" or any kind of response to the concept.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Sure, he sort of "had control" over the team, but he wasn't their handler or anything. The US didn't own them, they just pressured the Avengers to listening to work with them as the country realistically would(isn't the other argument thrown around that superheroes are all objectivist ubermenschs who don't answer to any authority?). He was a lesion who leveraged the government's interests against the team and he mostly butted heads with them. Even if you equate him to Waller, who's relationship with the team is half antagonistic in similar ways, that's not a "critique" or any kind of response to the concept.

He imposed the government's will on them (controlling their access to tech, forcing Falcon onto the team) so it's not unthinkable that that level of government control could have been extrapolated into a more direct influence, the threat of dismemberment, by Ostrander and Yale.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Theoretically I guess, but unless they said that in an interview or something that's a huge stretch. And either way h was directly talking about Fury and the story treating him and the government control as good, which doesn't fit Gyrich at all.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Theoretically I guess, but unless they said that in an interview or something that's a huge stretch. And either way h was directly talking about Fury and the story treating him and the government control as good, which doesn't fit Gyrich at all.

I know hbomb was either wrong or talking about the more recent Suicide Squad comics, but I think using the government liason to a super-team as inspiration for a different government liason to a different super-team isn't quite that much of a stretch.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I Before E posted:

I know hbomb was either wrong or talking about the more recent Suicide Squad comics, but I think using the government liason to a super-team as inspiration for a different government liason to a different super-team isn't quite that much of a stretch.

But Waller isn't a 'liason'. She runs the whole show. The Suicide Squad is an entirely state-run team, while the Avengers (with the exception of the Ultimates, post-Civil War - where tony Stark was the guy in charge of SHIELD - both of which came long after SS the comic) have always been an independent entity from the state, although they have worked with the government (and yes, occasionally had a liason). The Suicide Squad is a superhero Dirty Dozen more than any commentary on the Avengers.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 10, 2016

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

But Waller isn't a 'liason'. She runs the whole show. The Suicide Squad is an entirely state-run team, while the Avengers (with the exception of the Ultimates, post-Civil War - where tony Stark was the guy in charge of SHIELD - both of which came long after SS the comic) have always been an independent entity from the state, although they have worked with the government (and yes, had a liason). The Suicide Squad is a superhero Dirty Dozen more than any commentary on the Avengers.

Liason might not be the best word, but she's the link between a secret, plausibly deniable team and the wider government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
And the Avengers are a public costumed super hero squad, not a bunch of black ops criminals. Even if Gyrich was the inspiration for Waller-which is possible enough-it's not much commentary if it's just the same thing as what already existed. Less an opinionated deconstruction of the Avengers lackey-ism to the United States and more "the Avengers had an antagonistic relationship with a government official, let's make something all about that one part".

At any rate I don't think the modern Suicide Squad has any intended meta reflection on Avengers either, but hbomberguy is the same person who inexplicably defended Scott Snyder to SuperMechaGodzilla levels of interpertation so :shrug:

• Locked thread