Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Samurai Sanders posted:

What does it having medicinal use have to do with it staying schedule 1? How did those arguments get tied together?

Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

So, marijuana.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, well I learned something. I thought the classification was just about danger.

edit: Of course alcohol and tobacco are both schedule 1 as gently caress by those criteria but hey!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jackson Taus posted:

The companies actually DO want to repatriate the money, because it allows them to payout executive bonuses and stock dividends.

It's a bad idea for two reasons: (a) it was a money loser in 2004-2005 when we tried it last and (b) doing the holiday encourages companies to keep holding money off-shore in subsequent years in hopes of getting another holiday.

A good bit of money did come back stateside in the 2004-2005 holiday, but instead of being spent on creating jobs in America as the Bush admin contended, it instead went into the 1%'s pockets..

Yeah tax holidays are a con on their very face.

Companies that want to spend that money onshore investing in new buildings and employees would be doing that anyway because those are already tax deductible expenses. The only things that's taxed lower in a tax holiday is nondeductible stuff like dividends and whoa big surprise that's what they spend the money on.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Fangz posted:

5. (Starts talking about Bill Clinton and Jeffrey Epstein)

He's a co-defendant with Epstein in a civil suit accusing them of child rape, so I really hope he keeps pushing the Epstein/Clinton angle.

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah tax holidays are a con on their very face.

Companies that want to spend that money onshore investing in new buildings and employees would be doing that anyway because those are already tax deductible expenses. The only things that's taxed lower in a tax holiday is nondeductible stuff like dividends and whoa big surprise that's what they spend the money on.

The worst thing about them is that they're self-perpetuating. So many companies hold money overseas in lieu of paying 35% tax rate BECAUSE they anticipate either another holiday or a permanent rate cut. If we could credibly demonstrate that that's not happening in the next little while, a lot of that money might well come back anyhow.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 11, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Goatman Sacks posted:

So, marijuana.

What about epileptics and people with cancer who have found medical benefits from marijuana?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

What does it having medicinal use have to do with it staying schedule 1? How did those arguments get tied together?

Separate out drugs like meth and heroin. It's mostly so federally funded research can happen on something that has medical use.

Meths not schedule 1.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

WampaLord posted:

What about epileptics and people with cancer who have found medical benefits from marijuana?
I thought the loop was "no scientifically accepted benefit" -> made super-illegal -> can't be experimented on -> "no scientifically accepted benefit".

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

WampaLord posted:

Key feature here is federally funded research.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
at least HRC has schedule II marijuana in her platform

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

On the plus side, while they didn't reclassify, they did loosen restrictions on research so maybe there can be medical uses actually found.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I forgot about that one. Trump still has a chance to make a "if those pages weren't so sexy..." argument.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Kelly is the best cartoonist.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

RevKrule posted:

On the plus side, while they didn't reclassify, they did loosen restrictions on research so maybe there can be medical uses actually found.

Medical research, funded by NIH, is the only way the feds are going to change things. Short of SCOTUS or lol Congress.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: Of course alcohol and tobacco are both schedule 1 as gently caress by those criteria but hey!

Alcohol is used to treat methanol poisoning.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Fangz posted:

Quick, folks, how is Trump gonna spin this Foley thing? Your options:

1. Who's this Mike Foley, never heard of him

2. Mike's only crime was loving America too much, don't listen to what is said in the lying media

3. Oh is sending messages a crime now? AT LEAST he didn't use a PRIVATE SERVER

4. Well, what's worse, paedophilic grooming or Being Related To A Terrorist?

5. (Starts talking about Bill Clinton and Jeffrey Epstein)

fingers crossed for bringing up his court date in September on rape charges.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, well I learned something. I thought the classification was just about danger.

alcohol and tobacco are by statutory definition, not controlled substances, and thus not subject to scheduling

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Yep no accepted medical use in the US... except of course for over half of the states that have MMJ laws... yep none in the US

gently caress the FDA

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

berserker posted:

Yep no accepted medical use in the US... except of course for over half of the states that have MMJ laws... yep none in the US

gently caress the FDA

To be fair a lot of those are just backdoor ways to legalization and even many of the supporters will openly admit that.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

Clinton's camp disavowed Mateen, right? How is Trump going to spin this one?
And it was a public event where anyone could show up, and they didn't even know he was there until later.

Whereas Trump is loving friends with Foley.

Ridonkulous.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

computer parts posted:

To be fair a lot of those are just backdoor ways to legalization and even many of the supporters will openly admit that.
Yeah I was pretty sure about that when I was reading dozens of ads for marijuana prescribing doctors on the back page of the local weekly free paper back before my state went recreational legal.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

computer parts posted:

That doesn't matter though because the FDA said no accepted use in the US. Not a "minority" of accepted use. Not "no federal" accepted use. NO accepted use. Which is bullshit.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

berserker posted:

gently caress the FDA

It is a catch 22.

Schedule 1 substances are nearly impossible to study at a federal level.

Therefore there is no federal research that shows schedule 1 substances have medicinal value.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Isn't it completely possible for the president to do basically whatever he wants to marijuana with an executive order? I was under the impression that something like telling police not to pursue arrests for marijuana is like one of the most simple things a president can request an executive order. I'm still hoping Obama pulls a move like that and then says something about the Choom Gang on his last day.

Tulip posted:

Another factor - Bill Clinton may be the most famous vegan on the planet. Whether he's more famous than Paul McCartney and whether he's actually vegan (he says he is, one of his doctors says he eats fish, another doctor says that he doesn't, etc) may be up for debate, but him becoming First Gentleman would likely do a lot of awareness raising, and many animal rights folks I know are pretty stoked about his increased publicity.

Wait is this a new thing? A buddy of mine told me that Bill Clinton is super popular in Ho Chi Minh because he asked for a second bowl of pho at a local noodle place and basically licked The bowls clean.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 11, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

berserker posted:

That doesn't matter though because the FDA said no accepted use in the US. Not a "minority" of accepted use. Not "no federal" accepted use. NO accepted use. Which is bullshit.

How many federally foundered DEA approved longitudinal studies showing medical benefit can you find? :v:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Eifert Posting posted:

Wait is this a new thing? A buddy of mine told me that Bill Clinton is super popular in Ho Chi Minh because he asked for a second bowl of pho at a local noodle place and basically licked The bowls clean.
How is pho vegan?

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Trabisnikof posted:

How many federally foundered DEA approved longitudinal studies showing medical benefit can you find? :v:

Again the statement did not specifically mention "federal".

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The 6th Circuit has ruled in favor of Tennessee and North Carolina's rights to restrict the expansion of public high-speed internet utilities.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

How is pho vegan?

That's why I'm asking. Pho is obviously not vegan.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I would like to see weed moved down to schedule II. Highly restricts it, but allows research. DEA can continue to look the otherway for states with it legalized.

Mother fuckers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

This pissess me off to no end. Comcast got comfy and lazy and refused to innovate, along comes EPB and offers a superior product and cheaper prices, and here comes the legal wrangling.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have literally never smoked pot, and don't really have any interest in it, but cannot understand for the life of me how it's so hard to legalize.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Eifert Posting posted:

I have literally never smoked pot, and don't really have any interest in it, but cannot understand for the life of me how it's so hard to legalize.
I believe the US is part of international treaties to that effect and I am told that treaties, once signed, are important to even the US.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Seems like CNN is in an all-out "yes he did" "no he didn't" war with Trump on the "secret service talked to him" topic, and CNN is winning.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

the gently caress

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Huh. Trump gave a rally like a mile from where I live...and looks like he's giving one a few miles from where I'll be living after next week tomorrow. Pretty sure that one isn't sold out. Do I go goons?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

speng31b posted:

Seems like CNN is in an all-out "yes he did" "no he didn't" war with Trump on the "secret service talked to him" topic, and CNN is winning.

If Trump can't even top CNN...

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Goatman Sacks posted:

So, marijuana.

Don't forget MDMA and LSD, so basically all the cool and good drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Schizotek posted:

Huh. Trump gave a rally like a mile from where I live...and looks like he's giving one a few miles from where I'll be living after next week tomorrow. Pretty sure that one isn't sold out. Do I go goons?

Please start a "TRUMP HAS TINY HANDS" chant if you go!

• Locked thread