Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

I Before E posted:

As someone who enjoys Wes Anderson films he may have fallen off with this one.

It's not Anderson? Or is :thejoke:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Never give in?
Never give up?
Never go back?

Yeah, never go back.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The triple tag line thing isn't great, but Never Go Back is the name of the book.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Never Give Up
Never Let Down
Never Run Around And Desert

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Man those Malick movies a pretty dull.

Which I guess is entirely appropriate :smug:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

On one hand, gently caress this guy for basically being a Mondo stan, but on the other hand, that Back to the Future II and Drew Struzan Frankenstein print are pretty cool.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-tour-of-the-many-many-posters-i-own-that-arent-even-1785117358

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I wonder how that dude can afford to be an obsessive collector on a journalist's salary

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

I've got this one in the hall outside my office (mere millimetres from the ceiling you'll all be pleased to hear).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Arkane posted:

Couple of new Mondo posters for two Malick films

Wanted to like the Days of Heaven poster because I absolutely love the movie, but that is doing nothing for me. Heavy-handed and slightly cartoonish.

Good lord these are terrible

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

This is a really good poster for Blade Runner.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

FreudianSlippers posted:

This is a really good poster for Blade Runner.

This is what I thought it was for too. But then I realized it was for Back to the Future, and then I spent like a minute or two looking for the "to" in the title. What a terrible poster.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm the phallic window.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

teagone posted:

This is what I thought it was for too. But then I realized it was for Back to the Future, and then I spent like a minute or two looking for the "to" in the title. What a terrible poster.

Sure, if you're an idiot.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

teagone posted:

I found the "to" no problem, but the "the" eluded me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's so bizarre how so many Mondo posters get so much right, but then bungle some detail that makes it a total turnoff. If that BttF poster just had Cafe 80s on the sign and no title it'd be on my wall right now, especially if there were a version without credits.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

feedmyleg posted:

It's so bizarre how so many Mondo posters get so much right, but then bungle some detail that makes it a total turnoff. If that BttF poster just had Cafe 80s on the sign and no title it'd be on my wall right now, especially if there were a version without credits.
Yeah, it's almost always the case of doing one twist too many or loving that one thing really bad. The catch is that it's not the same thing to everybody so overall overdesign is the actual culprit. They hire some cool illustrators but it's like they go into this 200% mode to prove their worth and overdo it.

EDIT: Like their current The Incal poster. It's made to copy Moebius's style which is fine even in going into this insane detail because Moebius did illustrations like that as well. However the most important character from the comic book - Difool - has his face drawn in a way that completely ruins it. It's botched and doesn't have the 3D depth that the original artist was known for which destroys the illusion. It should just be redrawn and if I bought that poster I'd be always thinking about that. I know that I'm nitpicking but when the focus of the illustration is the accumulation of neat little details and characters then a vital one like that is a deal breaker to me.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 11, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lizard Combatant posted:

Sure, if you're an idiot.

My eye is naturally drawn to the right of "back" as that's how I normally read: left to right. I don't read diagonally upward. In that poster, the instinct to continue right is also heavily emphasized since the color shifts from the shades of teal/blue to the muted/creamsicle-esque orange; it makes for a recognizable contrast that I'm more inclined to look at. I saw "the" before "to" because of that contrast. It's bad design/hierarchy imo.

[edit] The color variant of the same poster handles the titling and color hierarchy better. The pink stands out a lot more against all the blues and draws my attention a lot better looking left to right.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 11, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm the phallic window.
...with a vibrating glans.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I don't like a lot of Mondo/"minimalist"/fan posters because they are often just an abstract of a major scene from the movie that's meaningless to someone who hasn't seen it.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

morestuff posted:

I wonder how that dude can afford to be an obsessive collector on a journalist's salary

He gets most of the poo poo for free I'd guess.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Electromax posted:

I don't like a lot of Mondo/"minimalist"/fan posters because they are often just an abstract of a major scene from the movie that's meaningless to someone who hasn't seen it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:barf:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's literally just a stock photo of a shrimp with some Photoshop filters applied, Jesus. You can't even whip up Illustrator and vector trace over it?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lizard Combatant posted:

It's not Anderson? Or is :thejoke:?

That is, in fact, the joke.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I wonder if he'll utter more ridiculous completely dumbshit threats like "I'll drink you're blood from a boot!" in this one.

I love that line :allears:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah that line kinda gets right to the appeal of the character, he's this smart, capable guy who just regresses into a complete caveman when his blood is up

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Waffleman_ posted:

That's literally just a stock photo of a shrimp with some Photoshop filters applied, Jesus. You can't even whip up Illustrator and vector trace over it?

Almost like it's a joke or something.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Alas, another victim of Poe's Law.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

This is actually garbage composition, seemingly designed not to draw your eye to anything. Is the subject the glowing red man, dead-center in the frame? Those figures stand out because they're pasted in overtop of the ripply air effect, and don't even have reflections. Seriously look at that poo poo.

It's like the stupid 'I Spy' search for the title extends to everything else in the picture: Did you spot the sports almanac hidden in the puddle? Did you spot the famous car? Did you spot the word 'to'? Did you spot Christopher Lloyd?

Let's get some actual Syd Mead in here:

Do you see where the car is in this loving picture?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 12, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

What's this? Some kind of small pastry?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Palpek posted:

How do you not know what a shrimp looks like? Is that a thing, people not knowing what a shrimp is?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Boy, it's almost like experiences you take for granted aren't shared amongst the entire human race! How amazing.

Slowpoke
Jul 7, 2007

Also, someone drew a sweet Slowpoke that I wanted to buy for an av but lost the image. I think the thread was people drawing Pokemon? I guess? I don't know. If someone could help find it I would love to buy it. Thanks.

Sadly I would buy this, only for the quote.
Please do not judge me!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Both those posters blow.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

How do you not know what a shrimp looks like? Is that a thing, people not knowing what a shrimp is?

:thejoke:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Palpek posted:

I appreciate you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

:thejoke: :thejoke:

(That was one of the responses.)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

it's just like the Alien 3 poster.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

it's just like the Alien 3 poster.

:aaaaa:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > Forrest Gump "Assembly Cut" was loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I looked up some fan posters for The Big Lebowski... I don't think any good ones exist

God I really hate amateur minimalism.

Here are the official posters for reference:

edit:

Woebin posted:

You should probably rehost those instead of hotlinking.

kalel fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 13, 2016